Code of Conduct

Default The other side of autumn: Parfum d'Habit

Whenever a "best scents for fall" thread starts here on BN, my mind always jumps straight to scents redolent of woods basking in the autumn sun or spicy scents which anticipate the holidays. Well ...

... MPG Parfum d'Habit is as far from the above mentioned scents as can be imagined. *Yet, still, it seems to me that PdH is a fiercely autumnal scent -- I simply can't imagine attributing it to any other season.

It starts out as a remarkably smooth, well bleneded mix of leather, vetiver and patchouli, none of the three dominating. *For the first 15 minutes there are mellow scotch-like notes, and after half an hour, sandalwood (much like that in Santal Noble) starts to surface and gains strength during the drydown. *However, whereas SN is warm, amber-like and somewhat sweet, PdH stays unrelentingly cold, green and darkly vegetal.

PdH reminds me of a huntsman in the middle of some medieval German forest: the scene deep, dark, green -- forged through the ages -- mythic and untouched by any but the most primitive tools: *The leather gear worn by the huntsman and his steed: dank, drenched by too many cold autumnal downpours -- both cursed and loved by the hunter, for he knows it won't truly dry out till the next spring, but still he loves it since it has already seen him through so many years. *This is exactly the leather that's found in PdH -- broken down and verging on the dank ... none of the glossy-black, polished soldier's boot of SMN's Peau d'Espagne or the suave, honeyed-mandarin of SL's Cuir Mauresque to be found here!

PdH's green notes -- the patchouli and vetiver -- are the sort of green that verges on black as the over-ripeness of the summer vegetation has all but wilted to the forest floor and now finds itself being trampled into the forest path and mixed with the dark loam.

Setting these dark green notes with the leather note is like looking into two mirrors which are set in opposition to each other: just as one never gets to the "end" of the endless reflections, PdH's leather and green notes keep reinforcing each other so that the more one's nose searches for anything "bright" or "dry" in PdH, the deeper one finds oneself getting lost in the midst of that huge, dark, rain-drenched forest.

PdH is one of those scents that I could imagine many not liking; it's hard to see this ever being a big seller. *BUT, here I am sitting in my apartment in the middle of a large city where the temperature is still in the 80s, and PdH is TRANSPORTING me to some completely different time and place.

I love how skillfully PdH takes its sparse ingredients and tells the story of the year coming to a close and of matter making its inevitable return to the earth. *Again, it's very far from what I would guess many of us here at BN think of as a typical "fall scent." *Yet, what it conjures up, to me at least, could only be autumn, albeit not a terribly sunny or warm one! *Although very different in terms of notes, L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses and LV's Patchouli affect me in much the same way.

Many thanks for reading the above musings!

..."net", not "naut".

Default Re: The other side of autumn: Parfum d'Habit

Wow. Great, Stoneskipper. Just plain great. I love it when a scent hits someone with so many thoughts and they can't help but think about them and write them down, at lenghth. Think of how many scents you've sniffed that don't make you think you've got a lot to write about and tell, just because of a smell.

Great work! Thanks very much for the write up, and I guess, for getting and sniffing Parfum d'Habit in the first place. Without that wish to smell something, and then wear it, we'd none of us get such great brain work as your review.

More more more!
    Very best,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Overcome By Fumes

That is indeed a beautiful paean to my favorite of the excellent MPG line. At their best, well made fragrances have a way of transporting one's imagination, and your description captures that transmutation excellently. I need to dig my bottle out again soon!

Colin

Chris,

Many thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

Being able to read your thoughts and impressions over the years here on BN has enriched my experience of this fragrance "hobby/addiction" in countless ways ... many thanks for the care and insight that you always bring to your reviews!

... just beginning to appreciate that not only are there an infinite number of scents out there, but, if you're lucky enough to find one that resonates with you, a special scent can elicit an almost limitless number of impressions and associations ... Parfum d'Habit does it for me!

Best regards,
    Dan
    ..."net", not "naut".

Colin,

Many thanks as well! Happy to see that PdH is getting the respect it deserves here on BN!

Dan
    ..."net", not "naut".

An outstanding and inspired review Dan of what is without doubt my favorite MPG scent; your review was a real pleasure to read, and I couldn't agree with you more. *Parfum d'Habit* along with *Ungaro Pour L'Homme I* are, IMO, the ultimate autumnal scents. Thanks for articulating the connection between *Parfum d'Habit* and autumn so vividly and beautifully.

Regards,

scentemental

Great review! I'm gonna sample this in tribute to it

I'm sampling Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier today and ran across this wonderful review. Thanks Stoneskipper for taking the time to write it. In my opinion, it belongs in the review section so others could find it more easily. BTW, I am really enjoying this scent!

does mpg ship out samples like trumpers and malle do?

I got my sample included in an order from Luscious Cargo.

Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Searching the forums for Parfum d'Habit I came across this, and it's just beautiful the way you describe it.
    I've only sampeld 3 MPG's and Parfum d'Habit is by far my favorite. In fact this is one of the best fragrances I have ever smelled. I've got a 30 ml bottle and only recently I began to understand this scent and realize this is something to keep for very special days. I read in the reviews someone describing it as "raw," and I found this description very appropriate. Then you say "mythic and untouched by any but the most primitive tools" and I realize this is the exact right word to describe this scent. For me it smells very, very "primitive," and I think this is what gives it its sophistication and incredible masculinity.

Thank you for the great review of this exceptional fragrance.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Mostapha, thanks so much for bring this back to our attention. This is one of my favorite kinds of posts: concrete and wide ranging but not afraid to be idiosyncratic. Specific to the manner of living of one person. Full of the exuberance of pleasure and not concerned about rankings. Oh, I like the spats, too, but this is the sort of thing that makes me grateful to have perfumes in my life. And a nose, for that matter.

juggernet's post (and his perfume of choice) is superb and deserves some discussion, it's one of the best reviews I have read. I'm surprised this thread only hardly reached its second page, and would certainly enjoy reading more commentary on the original post.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Yes, thanks Mostapha for re-opening the thread and thanks juggernet/Stoneskipper (?) for the beautiful review.
    I've tried a few MPG's and some work for me and some don't but I'm seriously getting into this line (purchased two on their way and I think there'll be more). I think of them as highly original, nostalgic, romantic works of art--juice, packaging, image and all. I think MPG is an undiscovered secret for many (and I kinda like it that way). I find myself more willing to pay the prices here than to some of the other more expensive, overexposed, overhyped "exclusive" house.
    RM