Code of Conduct

Thread: Miller Harris

Default Miller Harris

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Miller Harris.

Their complete collection in a well priced sample kit arrived today, 18 sample
    vials in front of me as I type. A little bit intimidating thinking about how to
    get through all of these in a reasonable time!

Wish more houses would offer this type of presentation and packaging nearly
    an ounce total product for 13.50GBP/23.50USD.

Default Re: Miller Harris

If you're into soft leather scents, pay particular attention to the Feuilles de Tabac. It's drydown is magnificent.

By the way, may I inquire as to where you purchased the sample kit?

Hi all,

Ummm...how odd! Just before seeing this post, I just finished writing a IM to a BN member mentioning about how my wife seldom ever comments on my Cologne. Well...the other night, my wife complimented my fragrance (which was quite a surprise!). "Ummmm...that smells nice!" What fragrance was I wearing that evening ? MILLER HARRIS FEUILLES DE TABAC!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Sixcats,

Looks like she's got a good taste in fragrances too.

What I like most about the Feuilles de Tabac is its herbal quality. It's millions of years away from the Tabac Blond, Poivre, and Cuir de Russie types.
    It's light, sophisticated, and has that piny accent which makes the leather smell so soft, and sensual.

My only qualm: *even though it comes in an EDP strength, it doesn't last more than an hour on my skin.

~Godzilla

Godzilla,

I spent a lot of time looking for the sample kit in the US. Finally I gave up and mailed them from their site asking about how to purchase it in the US. They informed me that there were no current retailers but that they were willing to make an exception to their UK only shipping policy in this case and send me the sample kit.

I don't know if they will be willing to do it for a large number of requesters.

Maybe I should drop them a line and let them know I may be unleashing basenotes on them

Nick

Thanks for the info Nick. Though, I'm sure it'll be good for their business.
    Let us know which one you like the best. Better yet, see if you can rank all 18 of them. (Subtle hint: We need reviews!) *;D ;D ;D

~Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by drifting
    Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Miller Harris.

vials in front of me as I type. *A little bit intimidating thinking about how to

drifting ... I'm wondering if Tangerine Vert was one of the samples *... and, if so ... what your thoughts were on it. *I'm done with lemon scents ... and started looking more toward an orange/tangerine/mandarin scent. * Do you think it's a feminine scent or more unisex that a guy could wear also?

Laugh... I picked them up less than 10 hours ago.. I haven't exactly been able to make it through them all.. or even part yet.

So lets list what I got I guess:
    Citron Citron
    Coeur de Fleur
    Feuilles de Tabac
    Figue Amère
    Fleur du Matin
    Fleur Oriental
    Noix de Tubéreuse
    Terre de Dois
    Tangerine Vert

Nouvelle Edition:
    Cuir d'Oranger
    Eau de Vert
    En Sens de Bois
    Geranium Bourbon
    Jasmin Vert
    Piment des Baies
    Terre d'Iris
    Vetiver Bourbon

And finally:
    Coeur d'Été

I'm interested in what people think of Piment des Baies and well....I guess the entire Nouvelle Edition
    interests me....I own Cuir D'Oranger and the EDT version of Piment des Baies...(I got took on Ebay) the guy said it retails for for 95GBP, which the EDPs do, and I get it in the mail and the box is black but not shiny like my CdO and it reads EDT on the bottle....I got taken.
    I'm wondering how different they smell though...if at all.

I am in the U.S.A. A distributor that I buy the Carthusia line for my store just got the distributing rights for it in the USA, and has sent me samples to evaluate. Still evaluating it and I plan to carry some of the fragrances.

I did not like Citron Citron though, didnt last on me long enough - any comments on that ? maybe it did not stick on my body :-/

Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    I'm interested in what people think of Piment des Baies and well....I guess the entire Nouvelle Edition
    interests me....I own Cuir D'Oranger and the EDT version of Piment des Baies...(I got took on Ebay) the guy said it retails for for 95GBP, which the EDPs do, and I get it in the mail and the box is black but not shiny like my CdO and it reads EDT on the bottle....I got taken.
    Robert am I mistaken??......I thought the Nouvelle edition only came in EDP.
    If i remember correctly on the MH website it only shows edp for the Nouvelle Editions
    I have Piment des baies EDP and it comes in a matte black box not a shiny black box
    Box and Bottle both say EDP.....hmmmmm

In the interests of clarity it may be worth mentioning that the Nouvelle Edition frags were repackaged within weeks of the original launch.

The 'old style' Nouvelle Edition frags were sold though-I have the Vetiver myself.

This may account for any difference in the look of the items.

Buffalo Gal is correct in saying that the Nouvelle stuff is all EDP

I never had chance to try the nouvelle collection yet, but MH classics are plain nice monotheme scent, specially for Figue amère and Feuilles de tabac. What a pity that these are also the more longlasting (about 3h on me) and others last just for a while...

I really wanted to purchase the sample set and wrote to Miller Harris. Lyn Harris sent the following response:
    Dear Karen,

Thank you for your enquiry. We actually have a concession at Saks Fifth
    Avenue in New York. The telephone number for our counter is 212 940 2145 -
    Francisco Diaz is our counter manager who will be able to assist you. You
    can also purchase our products at saksfifthavenue.com.

kind regards

Julie

Sigh. I am weak. I bought both Pimient des Baies and En Sens de Bois unsniffed from Francisco. Yes indeed, they are EDP in shiny black boxes. Francisco was kind enough to give me samples of everything and even included a full size shower gel in Terre de Bois for free.

Socalwoman,

Thanks for sharing this info.*

The address I used was info@millerharris.com.

I sent them a thank you note and mentioned that I had posted about my expereince on basenotes
    and their only comment was "Waiting to see if we get many more requests" so it doesn't sound
    like they are necessarily opposed.

Nick

If samples is what you need, let me know which ones, (in the United States only please) I will compile a list of them and will order from my distributor and mail it out to you at my cost.

I need to know how many I woiuld need to order, I am planning to carry the line.

You can email me directly I have my email address on my profile, or you can get it at Setamps post on the Jean Pascal review.

Maisonstinky.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I love tangerine vert! It is what hermes eau d'ornage vert wanted to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gal
    [quote author=rjrober22 link=1140227845/0#8 date=1140273648]I'm interested in what people think of Piment des Baies and well....I guess the entire Nouvelle Edition
    Robert am I mistaken??......I thought the Nouvelle edition only came in EDP.
    If i remember correctly on the MH website it only shows edp for the Nouvelle Editions
    I have Piment des baies EDP and it comes in a matte black box not a shiny black box
    Box and Bottle both say EDP.....hmmmmm
    [/quote]

That's what I thought as well....But my bottle clearly says edt....I sent an e-mail to the ebayer complaining and have not heard back.....The shape/size of the box is the same but not shiny and it says "by Lyn Harris" on the box....compared to my Cuir D'Oranger box....this thing looks ANCIENT! Must be years old.
    The scent does not smell that great either....

Robert
    I'm going to send you a decant of my piment des Baies for comparison......
    will ship it to you Tuesday somethang aint right !!

D.

FWIW, LuckyScent carries several of the Miller Harris fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    [quote author=drifting link=1140227845/0#0 date=1140227845]Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Miller Harris.

vials in front of me as I type. A little bit intimidating thinking about how to

drifting ... I'm wondering if Tangerine Vert was one of the samples ... and, if so ... what your thoughts were on it. I'm done with lemon scents ... and started looking more toward an orange/tangerine/mandarin scent. Do you think it's a feminine scent or more unisex that a guy could wear also?
    [/quote]

I have an atomiser of Tangerine Vert. I wouldn't describe it as a "feminine" scent at all. Any guy could wear it IMHO. In the same way that any guy could wear Acqua di Parma Colonia, even though many women also like it and wear it themselves. Tangerine Vert is a lovely citrus. The only drawback is its price - there are many other citruses around that I like just as much that are half (or a quarter) the price. And so I baulk at the idea of buying a full bottle.

So first wearing today

Noix de Tubéreuse (right wrist)
    My first tuberose scent, very feminine to start, sharp and strong tuberose scent to begin with but fading to something more complex and complete fairly quickly (15 min). Stays quite feminine at 6 hours in, I would still say it's a bit too much so for me. Warm green+floral and sensual. Quite a modern scent.

Vetiver Bourbon (left wrist)
    Yum, amazing booze note this starts off with. Vetiver is there but wow is it drunk. Strong booze fades with 10-20 min and vetiver starts and picks up until it is quite strong and masculine. I own Vétiver Extraordinaire and Route du Vétiver as comparisons, this is a warmer, and to my nose less acrid vetiver than either of those. At 6 hours it's still quite strong, though sampling from a vial it wears quite close to the skin, there is no question it is still a vetiver scent as well. I could see this in the office or curled up on a couch with a special someone for a movie. As many people point out, being part of the Nouvelle collection it is quite pricey but defintly worth checking out for any vetiver fans.

Two more tomorrow.

Monday:
    Terre de Bois (left)
    There is a really interesting booze note that doesn't seem to go away on this one. Very present at that start with a hint of a hairspray which thankfully fades very quickly. Other than the booze note this is very well blended and nothing dominates the experience. Wearing fairly lightly at this point 7 hours in or so but still detectable. Warmer and more woody than it started but still quite green and fresh.
    The listed notes:
    verbena, juniper and clary sage combined with some spices
    vetiver, moss and patchouli

Eau de Vert (right)
    Very strong soapy/lavendar start on me. Lasts respectably, 7 hours and it is still fairly clear, don't have to hunt for it, still very soapy. The vetiver is very subtle on this one for me. I keep thinking I can smell it but then I'm not sure. Just generally a very clean and green creation. The listed notes are:
    pine, lavender, juniper and artemesi
    rose and geranium
    moss, musk and vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats
    Hi all,

* Ummm...how odd! *Just before seeing this post, I just finished writing a IM to a BN member mentioning about how my wife seldom ever comments on my Cologne. *Well...the other night, my wife complimented my fragrance (which was quite a surprise!). *"Ummmm...that smells nice!" *What fragrance was I wearing that evening ? *MILLER HARRIS FEUILLES DE TABAC!

Regards,
    SixCats!
    Feuilles de Tabac is one of my favorites. I hoard my 1/3 oz decant! Its the ones that I really love that I don't wear, of course! Love the spices, more than Piper Nigrum quite frankly. Many thanks to aztec for introducing this to me in the first mystery scent challenge!

I'm not so wild about Terre de Bois.

I'd like to try Cuir d'Oranger sometime; I'm wondering how it compares to Pierre Cardin Centaures Cuir Fougere or Creed - Royal English Leather.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Another day another .. two scents:

Figue Amère (left)
    Very nice fig scent, great longevity on me (12 hours +) finishes warm and woody. A really nice winter scent to remind you of warm summer days and afternoons in the sun. My first fig so I can't really compare it to any others for those fig lovers out there. So far my number one or two favorite.
    Listed Notes:
    bitter ripe figs and salty sea air
    green violet, amber and cedar

Geranium Bourbon (right)
    The most feminin so far, a strong floral, probably a bit too feminin and floral for me at least for the first few hours. There are also fresh/green notes that are quite strong early in the wear. It warms up some with wear without the loss of the floral elements. A nice scent and something of an attention getter for the early hours. I kept catching unexpected hints of someting on the air that drew me in, only to figure out it was me.
    Listed Notes:
    cassis berries, lemon geranium and Turkish rose

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    Thanks for the info Nick. Though, I'm sure it'll be good for their business.
    Let us know which one you like the best. Better yet, see if you can rank all 18 of them. (Subtle hint: We need reviews!) *;D ;D ;D

~Godzilla
    can anyone tell me how big the backlog is on posting new reivews?

a lot of frags i check out in the directory have neither notes, reviews or frag pyramids (new word i learned from miss sanddrift -- thank you, darlin)

and cruising trough old posts, i see a couple questions about submitted reviews and how long someone has waited to see their handiwork. One was from a supporting member and they're supposed to be posted immeidately or something?

anyone wiht any insight?

Fleur Oriental (left)
    Nice powdery, and very appealing appealing floral. Around 8 hours of usable wear. Finishes sweet, warm and fairly sexy. Might be a bit much for some men especially early on. Love the transformation as it develops. From fresh and bright to growing powder to finally warm and sweet. Great date or night out scent.
    Listed notes:
    fresh orange flower, spicy carnation, Turkish Rose, musk, amber and vanilla

Terre d'Iris (right)
    Total fan.. a very nice iris with great lasting power (10 hours +). More root than flower as I understand iris. Very earthy across the board. Feminine but very wearable by a man. One of those fragrances that you catch a hint of the in air and it takes a second to realize it is you that smells that good. I think it's the earthy nature that really adds to the masculine wearability.
    Listed notes:
    bergamot, rose and iris

Both are defintly in the top 1/2 of the 8 so far. More next week.

Noix de Tubereuse.....love that one! Cuird'Oranger is fantastic too!