Code of Conduct

Default Best scent for the groom for a wedding?

What would you say is the best scent a man could wear on his wedding day? *And the best scent for a woman to wear to a wedding?

Default Re: Best scent for the groom for a wedding?

Whatever suits that particular man or woman.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Okay, let me post it differently. What is a scent that seems suited, or has been marketed as suiting, a man on his wedding day?

I think something refined, like Boucheron, or Jaipur.

For something more subdued and contemporary, perhaps the Bulgari scents.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

There's an AC/DC scent that fit's perfectly ...

"Highway to Hell"

[smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

Vera Wang His'n'Hers...classic wedding marketing ploy!

Overcome By Fumes

Yep, yep...

Passage d'Enfer seems about right-- a "shared" fragrance even!

I'd avoid Tommy Hilfiger Freedom for Him. How about Happy for Men? Ho Hang? If it's an elopement, perhaps Joop! Nightflight would be a good choice. An arranged marriage? Quorum!

Be careful about Caron's Third Man though. Dolce & Gabbana By Man as well...

You guys are too funny! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Yep, yep...

Passage d'Enfer seems about right-- a "shared" fragrance even!
    LOL!

I'm facing the issue in May.

Not sure what I'll pick. I might go with Bulgari PH: something which lasts all day, is fairly light, but my fiancee loves and I enjoy.

Another one with great duration and more oomph, and oozes class is BdP, though May weather is unpredictable and I don't want to wear it if it is going to be hot - and the church doesn't have air conditioning! [I'm hesitating on using C-M Sandalwood for the same reason.]
    PdN New York is probably a better alternative for me... or JHL, though I haven't wore JHL in hot weather. PdN New York stands a good chance.

I did think about Happy, but it doesn't seem to suit the occasion.

Hmm... I'm looking at my top 5 and the answer may be right there: Monsieur Galimard. I might get the EDP just for the occasion! Heavily dosed, Monsieur Galimard is fantastic.

Although I love it, Eau Sauvage can be unpredictable and I might not be in the mood for that. YSL PH or YSL PH HC may be better ... or possibly Caswell Massey #6.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

-Aramis
    -Armani Eau Pour Homme
    -Eau Sauvage
    -GFT by Geo F Trumper
    -Chanel Pour Monsieur
    -Coriolan
    -Guerlain Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    I think something refined, like Boucheron, or Jaipur.

For something more subdued and contemporary, perhaps the Bulgari scents.
    Indeed, Basenotes himself wore bulgari black when he tied the knot.

A very happy Mr. Drift suggests that you want a discrete and affable fragrance as a groom. Particularly important is good dry-down and longevity (what you are hoping for in the marriage, no?)

Ever the symbolist and traditionalist, Mr. Drift suggests

Czech & Speake Neroli
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122277.html

and shave within three hours of the ceremony with

Prince Triple Orange Blossom shaving cream by LUSH.
    http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/2...+Shaving+Cream

(You want to be smooth in all respects and do not want wedding pictures to depict five o'clock shadow, now do you? Orange blossoms have been a traditional wedding flower since the Greeks invented western civilization.)

Mr. Drift also offers the suggestion of Montale Greyland, his own personal fragrance for important events. *Hands (or nose) down, Montales have absolutely the most gorgeous, complex, exciting dry downs of any fragrances going.
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=1438

MaisonStinky, a bn member, has a perfume store of his own and has selected Greyland and Soleil di Capri to carry in his establishment. I have not smelled Soleil yet but the notes look spectacular for a sophisticated, manly, floral citrus. If the climate is warm, Soleil may very well be the fragrance of choice.
    http://www.parfumsraffy.com/montale/soleildecapri.html

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    There's an AC/DC scent that fit's perfectly ...

"Highway to Hell"

Tsk, Tsk -- Just because you did not get Yep Yep's business for the pre-nup drafting, does not mean you should let your divorce attorney sour grapes get the better of you!

If / when I get married, I can imagine either Passage d'Enfer or Avignon as being good choices. These two are very "spiritual" fragrances to me, if that makes sense. :

CK Escape

Quick. While there is still time.

Griff
    Griff

Marc Jacobs for men(yum) and if the woman likes gardenia then the matching scent for women(I love when couples match their scents)...If she doesn't like gardenia then La Chasse Aux Papillons because it's just beautiful.

Oops! I forgot about her!

For a bride, discrete, sweet and lasting. *One does not want a fleeting fragrance she would need to reapply often (the problem with the beautiful La Chasse Aux Papillons) or a too intense, sultry, or heady a scent that would clear the room or suggest she might be up for banging the best man between courses.

SL Fleur d'Oranger is one of the lovliest, feminine (but not ultra-sweet or simpering) orange blossom-based fragrances even though it is technically a shared scent. *Fd'O is one of the most accessible fragrances in the whole SL line. *It was a top seller for many retailers last year and for a reason; it is fabulous.

Fleur d'Oranger is not a simple-minded orange extract or orange water for pastry making like many orange blossom fragrances for women. It is not a soliflore really either. This is a charmingly nuanced blend of orange blossoms with delicate white rose, tuberose and jasmine petals which permit a rich and intriguing unfolding and gift it with feminine mystery. A foundation of hibiscus, light musk and subtle, warm spices give the fragrance a tender sensuality. Fleur d'Oranger has a fresh and shimmering touch of greeness and a refreshing hint of fruit (some say the ineffable white peach) balancing the graceful and alluring composition.

http://www.escentual.co.uk/serge_lut...elutens08.html

Another great choice is

Vera Wang Apply with a light hand due to its gardenia content. *This self-assured, lighthearted, elegant floral is meant to last and it does. *A heart of glorious gardenia and rose, VW has a beautiful, classy dry down of light musks and white stephanotis (another traditional wedding flower.) Modern, Special but not stiffly formal like a Guerlain. It made Chandler Burr's top ten list and he also named it in a shopping magazine as his all-time best buy.

http://www.osmoz.com/encyclo/marques...&LANGUE=en

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/...urr/essay.html

I think bride and groom should wear the same fragrance for the occasion. If I'm so lucky, it might be Diptyque's Opôné, L'Ombre dans l'Eau, L'Artisan's Voleur de Rose, or even Eau d'Hermès. Or something else that pleases both noses involved. It won't be a question of what company markets itself for the decision.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I am a L'artisan junkie so I would deffinately go for Voleur de Roses or L'eau de L'artisan.

I would ask my wife to wear something like Vanille or Ambre Extreme!!!

Can't wait for that day now that I'm thinking about it... I have long way to go...

Posted by: makemepretty Today at 9:36am
    Marc Jacobs for men(yum) and if the woman likes gardenia then the matching [ Marc Jacobs for Women is not the same as MJ for Men] scent for women (I love when couples match their scents)...If she doesn't like gardenia then *La Chasse Aux Papillons because it's just beautiful. *
    * *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I think bride and groom should wear the same fragrance for the occasion. *If I'm so lucky, it might be Diptyque's Opôné, L'Ombre dans l'Eau, L'Artisan's Voleur de Rose, or even Eau d'Hermès. *Or something else that pleases both noses involved. *It won't be a question of what company markets itself for the decision.
    * * *[smiley=thumbdown.gif] *

Wearing fragrance that is harmonious, has notes in common, or does not clash when you stand close together sounds good to me but, frankly, wearing identical fragrances sounds a bit creepy.

No wonder Griff says, *Escape! Now, while you have the chance.* Instead of "You complete me," it's "You ARE me." No thanks.

The number one problem that I see in couples that leads to growing apart is too much togetherness, not not enough. *Seriously. Those couples who have to go everywhere together, do everything together so it ends up that neither gets to do the things they really want to if the other isn't into it, too? Those are the couples who end up with nothing to talk about except their power struggles. Hassle, nagging, pouting and pay back from her if he takes a night out for poker or a day off for golf and from him: intimidation, argument, guilt-induction and cold withdrawal if she wants a few days with her girlfriend to go to a spa? Come on, be secure enough to give each other some space.

*I love my husband of 4 years and I love that we wear totally different fragrances, not one shared scent between us. Vive la difference! Tomorrow he is going to visit his Dad for a few days and I am staying home, staying up late to read in bed and catching up on movies that would bore him. *And we will have so much fun when he gets back home next Sunday! (yes, we do stretch and try things with the other that might not be our fist choice by ourselves and we have fun that way, too. And we do hve a lot in common and share many favorite passtimes together, just not all.*Too stultifying!

Quote Originally Posted by CeccaSF
    [smiley=thumbdown.gif] *

Wearing fragrance that is harmonious, has notes in common, or does not clash when you stand close together sounds good to me but, frankly, wearing identical fragrances sounds a bit creepy.

No wonder Griff says, *Escape! Now, while you have the chance.* Instead of "You complete me," it's "You ARE me." No thanks.

The number one problem that I see in couples that leads to growing apart is too much togetherness, not not enough. *Seriously. Those couples who have to go everywhere together, do everything together so it ends up that neither gets to do the things they really want to if the other isn't into it, too? Those are the couples who end up with nothing to talk about except their power struggles. Hassle, nagging, pouting and pay back from her if he takes a night out for poker or a day off for golf and from him: intimidation, argument, guilt-induction and cold withdrawal if she wants a few days with her girlfriend to go to a spa? Come on, be secure enough to give each other some space.

*I love my husband of 4 years and I love that we wear totally different fragrances, not one shared scent between us. Vive la difference! Tomorrow he is going to visit his Dad for a few days and I am staying home, staying up late to read in bed and catching up on movies that would bore him. *And we will have so much fun when he gets back home next Sunday! (yes, we do stretch and try things with the other that might not be our fist choice by ourselves and we have fun that way, too. And we do hve a lot in common and share many favorite passtimes together, just not all.*Too stultifying!
    Thank you for the life advice, CeccaSF. I'll bear it in mind.

Why stop at the same cologne when you can BECOME each other!

Meet:

Eva & Adele: The Perfect Couple!

I first Eva and Adele at the Lucien Freud exhibit at the Met (early 90's). Suffice it to say, no one was looking at the pictures while they were there...

and then there is Gilbert & George. An inspiration to codependant couples everywhere!

Griff
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Why stop at the same cologne when you can BECOME each other!

Meet:

Eva & Adele: The Perfect Couple!

I first Eva and Adele at the Lucien Freud exhibit at the Met (early 90's). Suffice it to say, no one was looking at the pictures while they were there...

and then there is Gilbert & George. An inspiration to codependant couples everywhere!

Griff
    Thank you for the life advice, CeccaSF. *I'll bear it in mind.

More than welcome DustB. Although it was not any kind of advice (life or otherwise) to anyone; it was more like an allergic reaction and some random observation.

But if you or anyone else would like my life advice, it is this:

to follow in the footsteps of the Great Griff, who keeps it light, conserves his emotional energy and balances life's slings and arrows (or mere comments that are about some other person and not himself) through wit, style, grace and humor, and does not rely too heavily on defensive sarcasm. It simply is not charming or productive. Nor is it "done," is it Griff?

You GO, Griff!

More than welcome DustB. Although it was not any kind of advice (life or otherwise) to anyone; it was more like an allergic reaction and some random observation.

But if you or anyone else would like my life advice, it is this:

to follow in the footsteps of the Great Griff, who keeps it light, conserves his emotional energy and balances life's slings and arrows (or mere comments that are about some other person and not himself) through wit, style, grace and humor, and does not rely too heavily on defensive sarcasm. It simply is not charming or productive. Nor is it "done," is it Griff?

You GO, Griff!
    [/size]
    Thank you again for your advice, CeccaSF. Why don't we go to private messages for further exchanges.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    [quote author=ziffy321 link=1140237627/0#4 date=1140255189]There's an AC/DC scent that fit's perfectly ...

"Highway to Hell"

Tsk, Tsk -- Just because you did not get Yep Yep's business for the pre-nup drafting, does not mean you should let your divorce attorney sour grapes get the better of you!
    [/quote]

LOL ... good one sanddrift. Actually, I've never taken a drive down that scary highway. But my two near misses .... along with the majority of my childhood/high school/college friends and their divorces/seperations/miserable marriages lead me to just one conclusion...

No, there ISN'T "someone for everyone". We all have the option to choose our own misery.

[Thank you again for your advice, CeccaSF! *Why don't we go to private messages for further exchanges. *
    Thanks!
    Egads. You've got to be kidding. You mean like a guy asking another guy at a bar to "step outside?" Further exchanges? I have not had one exchange yet. (Well, this one which you've forced me to.) Private Messages? No Thanks! (To borrow puctuation from you.).

[quote=CeccaSF]
    Egads. You've got to be kidding. You mean like a guy asking another guy at a bar to "step outside?" Further exchanges? I have not had one exchange yet. (Well, this one which you've forced me to.) Private Messages? No Thanks! (To borrow puctuation from you.).
    Friends and fellow Basenotes members, I am happy to discuss what seem to be differences with CeccaSF, but with CeccaSF alone, since they and any similar differences are not germane to information sought in the thread. I remain open to this discussion and I hope SeccaSF will take me up on it.

Amen (not the fragrance) to that. I couldn't have said it better myself. That is so true, and it's something i've learned that hard way; after numerous experiences just like that. Actually i'm in a relationship like that right now...It's funny, no one ever means to get into a relationship like that, and no one knows it'll turn out like that. It always starts innocent, there's this new person who you love spending time with and they love spending time with you, and you two are just together all the time...

And then time goes by...and your friends stop asking you to do things, you can't make new friends cuz you are with the gf all the time, then you start to have deep down anger toward her because you've lost all the things you used to enjoy and now you're stuck with her...but it's all you've got...

The more i think of it, the more the myth of Pandora fits!
    "Till then the human race had lived on the face of the earth far from all ills, without torment, pain, or dreadful disease, that bring men down to their graves. But now the hands of the woman [Pandora] lifted the jar's heavy lid and allowed them all to escape, planning the bitterest sorrows for men. Hope only remained in a prison she could not escape, under the lip of the jar. She could not fly out, for the woman replaced the great heavy lid. But the other numberless miseries were spread over all humankind." -Hesiod, "Works and Days"

Haha, don't get all mad at me for that, it was only a joke(for the most part)!

The number one problem that I see in couples that leads to growing apart is too much togetherness, not not enough. Seriously. Those couples who have to go everywhere together, do everything together so it ends up that neither gets to do the things they really want to if the other isn't into it, too? Those are the couples who end up with nothing to talk about except their power struggles. Hassle, nagging, pouting and pay back from her if he takes a night out for poker or a day off for golf and from him: intimidation, argument, guilt-induction and cold withdrawal if she wants a few days with her girlfriend to go to a spa? Come on, be secure enough to give each other some space.
    How is it that a couple who decides to wear the same fragrance once in a while equates into a theorem of "too much togetherness"? :-?

I think bride and groom should wear the same fragrance for the occasion.

to follow in the footsteps of the Great Griff, who keeps it light, conserves his emotional energy and balances life's slings and arrows (or mere comments that are about some other person and not himself) through wit, style, grace and humor

LOL and ROTFLMAO, Griff!

amen from me, too, *girl!

got to admit....wearing identical frags on same day , same ocassion and such a significant day or as a regular thing like matching shirts (swear to god i saw that on a street once, couple wearing matching clothes)?? *um, maybe not. does sound a triffle merge-y which i can see leads to that stick together like glue thing. however, that said -- from the gnarly ex-changes it sounds like you and dustyb should get a quicky divorce, though * *be a lady, a mature lady and let him have the last word, eh?

and hey, db -- be a gent and back off of the lady will, ya? this is probably not worth the steam. do yourself a favor and let it drop.

but ceccasf....luv ya babe, your posts are first rate and most amusing -- but come on, once in a while , every so often can't i please borrow one of my luvie's frags and not be a controlling, mean-spirited glommer? *please, please? versace's dreamer? any SL? diptyques? l'artisan, heremesessence? *different company? even jicki ( women's scent, no? and worn by 007 his kick-ass self)

not one shared sent with hubby? sounds like he needs a wake up call, honey. buy that dude some daim blond of his own why dont ya.!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Friends and fellow Basenotes members, I am happy to discuss what seem to be differences with CeccaSF, but with CeccaSF alone, since they and any similar differences are not germane to information sought in the thread. I remain open to this discussion and I hope SeccaSF will take me up on it.
    Wow, you need to chill out.

Ladylonestar

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon
    [quote author=DustB link=1140237627/15#26 date=1140653092]
    Friends and fellow Basenotes members, I am happy to discuss what seem to be differences with CeccaSF, but with CeccaSF alone, since they and any similar differences are not germane to information sought in the thread. *I remain open to this discussion and I hope SeccaSF will take me up on it.
    Wow, you need to chill out.
    [/quote]
    Actually, no, he doesn't. CeccaSF needs to chill out here and all across the boards. DustB invited her to discuss issues privately and keep them off this thread.

"He who says what he likes, must hear what he does not like." Cecca, you need to keep that in mind. Until the guy mods come in, this thread is locked.

Thanks LadyLS.

I just want to remind members that if you have a personal issue with as member, please take it up by Private Message. I'd like to thank DustB for suggesting this.

CessaSF, and anyone else, please message me if you have any issues with the rules of this board, and we can discuss them in private. This thread has been hijacked enough.

Added: [timestamp=1140725502] Yeptep (the original poster) wanted to add this:
    [edit] "yepyep says: Thank you for you fragrance suggestions! I'll have to check those out. I already have some good ideas."[/edit] Cheers Yepyep!