Code of Conduct

Default A Bunch of Stories, Observations... a "Catch-all"

Well guys,

I sort of came out of the "fragrance closet" to some friends this week.

What does that entail? *Well, having one drink too many and saying "Hey, you want to see something? *Come into my bedroom and I'll show you SOMETHING!"

...And then noticing the jaws that drop when I pull out my box of 100+ full size bottles of cologne, and countless samples and decants...

There were two occasions of this.

The first involved a male and a female friend coming over for drinks the other night. *They had been over before and knew I was kind of into the scent thing, so they urged me to get some stuff for them to smell. *So I'd disappear into my room and return with as many frags as I could carry, setting them on my bar for my friends to sniff and comment on.

Some of my friends' observations out of about 40 scents:

Odeur 53- Their absolute favorite.

Jaisalmer- the girl didn't like it- funny because I was wearing this once when I hooked up with this girl (a previous one night stand, months ago). *Perhaps, too many memories for her...heh-heh. *

Himalaya-The girl LOVED this. *She couldn't decide whether Himalaya or Odeur 53 was her fave.

The sniffing went on until something happened...

We got to my YSL's. *My guy friend spotted the Rive Gauche PH, and said "Oh, there's that one I liked from last time," and he gave himself a spritz. *The girl looked quizically at the Nu EDP, at which time I told her to give herself a spray... She had dark hair, and GOD did it ever smell sexy on her! *She picked up the Kouros and gave herself a small spray to her own wrist and I smelled it... WOW. Kouros even smells good on women! *She REALLY liked Kouros, so I sprayed some on my own neck. She got really turned on. We all started sniffing each others' necks and both me and my friend both started getting physical with this girl, and it started to turn into a three-way! (but nothing guy-on-guy)I think we all got cold feet, and so we put the brakes on. *I'm not gonna go into all the stuff that happened, because hell, they could be reading this!

Needless to say, I am certain that YSL makes the most sexual line of fragrances on the planet, in my experiences.

OK, the second story. *Nothing sexual this time, so don't worry...

The next night, different group of friends. *One of my best guy friends, his buddy, and a female friend of theirs. *Well, my friend couldn't believe it when I showed him my drobe! *He was like "I had no IDEA!" *I did reassure him several times of my heterosexuality, at which, to his credit, his faith never wavered...but he couldn't believe it.

And he commented that he only owned about 8 scents and he was trying to think what scent he was wearing. Before he could tell me what he was wearing, I told him, "You're wearing Aqua di Gio." *He was ASTONISHED! *He couldn't believe that I knew what he was wearing...OK, lets be honest amongst ourselves here though guys, who here CAN'T identify Aqua di Gio in a matter of milliseconds. *Niche it is not. *But I let him go on thinking I had a superpowered schnozz.

The girl picked up the M7 and actually said this: "Wow. This is a MEN'S cologne? *It smells so powdery. *This stuff is like a male Chanel #5! It reminds me of a powder room smell. *I like it, but it reminds me of Chanel #5." *Anybody get a kick out of that?

She loved Avignon (everybody else this week who sniffed the bottle hated it), she found Bulgari Blu to be feminine and Hanae Mori to be masculine. *She, like everyone else loved Odeur 53. *She also remarked in positive terms about Miller et Bertaux #2 Spiritus/Land. *She didn't care for Rive Gauche PH, but she did really take a liking to Kouros. *She really liked Jo Malone Amber and Lavender and said it smelled great on skin. *

She was talking about patchouli and said "Hey, there's this one scent called Angel that has patchouli in it and I hear there is a men's version" *So I pulled out the A*Men and showed it to the three of them. *I sprayed it on paper and made sure they noticed the tar note.

My friend was really taken with Zagorsk. *Having just returned from a business trip to Germany, he said, "Damn! *This stuff smells just like the old buildings in Germany. *Very cold and ancient"

The one they all really liked was my Vettiveru. *Before they left, I made them give themselves a nice splash of Vettiveru. *They wanted to know where to get it. *I'm going to make them some decants of my stuff so I can share my collection...well one of these days when I stop procrastinating and get around to ordering some vials.

OK, another story. *I was at work at the hotel and I needed to ask the front desk clerk for some help. *She is Dutch and I cracked her up by saying I was looking for the room number for a fictitious guest named "Kabouter Plop" (An inside joke- but maybe some of you in the Netherlands will laugh). *Well, as I was waiting to talk to her, a guy who was checking in turned to go to his room...This girl breathed in deeply and sighed "Ah, he's wearing the same cologne that my boyfriend wears"

I said, "Oh, you mean Aqua di Gio?" I said interrupting her reverie, and trying not to be a snobbish dick.

"Yeah! *Very good," she replied, her eyes lighting up. She was impressed.

Inwardly I was like, "Aqua di Gio must DIE!!!" *God, this sh!t is way too popular. *And then LAST night, I went to a packed club, and ALL I COULD SMELL WAS AQUA Di JOE-BLOW... *It's like that scene in "Being John Malkovich" where he goes inside himself, and all he sees is his own face on everybody else. *I guess this is what it is like on a daily basis for your average AdG wearer. *Sounds kind of pathetic...

Default Re: A Bunch of Stories, Observations... a "Catch-a

You are hilarious IG, but you can't leave us without the sleazy details.

I'm not sure anything YSL I own has provoked an instantaneous orgiastic reverie, but I might have to give it a go.

Here's Kabouter Plop for ya http://users.skynet.be/cocachoc/nl-plop.htm

It's actually Belgian, but we both speak Dutch ;D

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo

I'm not sure anything YSL I own has provoked an instantaneous orgiastic reverie, but I might have to give it a go.
    I concur...

Well, everything that night ended up being PG-13, but all parties concerned were aware of what was taking shape, and we consciously backed away from it. *The next night( actually it was two nights later- my days are all running together!) they called me and asked me to meet up with them. *i'm pretty sure from the vibe that they were giving off that they had talked it through and were up for anything...hell, the girl was trying like mad to make it happen... But at the end of the day, that kind of thing is just not my bag, flattered though I was.

I'm a square, I guess...

If a square means someone not prepared to get into a messy situation that can spoil friendships, love being a square!

If a square means someone not prepared to get into a messy situation that can spoil friendships, love being a square!

Oh, I agree totally.

And I really debated whether to even mention this funny little anecdote on Basenotes at all...But since it was directly related to people getting a bit frisky during a fragrance sampling party, I felt that ultimately, it was just too good not to share. Especially how it concerns the mighty Kouros.

Just to recap:
    Nothing obscene happened. All clothes stayed on. Nothing regrettable occurred.

All virtue and honor remain...

It does make me laugh, thinking about it though!

I am the one who also hates this, but girls actually (in general) do love Acqua di Gio. It is a babe-magnet masterpiece! > Fact - can`t help it.

Interesting to see so many people liking Odeur 53. I guess IG has some absract friends there...

Jaisalmer --> LOL! Indie, always remember to take ladies needs into considerition! ;D

Yeah, I was kind of shocked myself at how people seem to love Odeur 53. The thing is, most of the people who sniffed my drobe this week are artists...so maybe they are more accepting of avant-garde concepts. And that bottle is quite eyecatching from a design standpoint.

I forgot to mention, my brother had some of his friends over this week as well. These guys are like loud ex-fratboy types. Great guys, but a little bit "by-the-numbers." Some of them commented on the scents on my bathroom shelf. They all liked Odeur 53 as well, but all of these guys HATED Avignon. I don't care though, nothing will ever prevent me from wearing it.

Maybe they were just humoring me, but it seems like they were kind of intrigued by the gnarly stuff I had, and asked me where they could get such stuff. Hey, if I can get even a few people to kick the AdG habit, then I'm doing my part to make the world a better place. Even though technically it smells "good", I could never wear it with a straight face. Its funny for a girl to get wistful about AdG because her man wore it. Aww, how special is that. Does she also get wistful and think "Oh, they're playing our old song" whenever "Ice Ice Baby comes on the radio?" I wonder. I guess they'll aways have TGIF's to remember their first date by...

The one thing I hate worse than AdG is Z Zegna. It's the smell of AdG's OCD cleanliness jumping the shark. What's next-Clorox snorted up the nose? Lysol breath strips? As much as I dislike AdG, when I smell Z Zegna in public, I really want to find the likely James Blunt fan wearing it and tie his shoelaces together!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Yeah, I was kind of shocked myself at how people seem to love Odeur 53. *The thing is, most of the people who sniffed my drobe this week are artists...so maybe they are more accepting of avant-garde concepts. *And that bottle is quite eyecatching from a design standpoint.

I forgot to mention, my brother had some of his friends over this week as well. *These guys are like loud ex-fratboy types. *Great guys, but a little bit "by-the-numbers." Some of them commented on the scents on my bathroom shelf. *They all liked Odeur 53 as well, but all of these guys HATED Avignon. *I don't care though, nothing will ever prevent me from wearing it. *

Maybe they were just humoring me, but it seems like they were kind of intrigued by the gnarly stuff I had, and asked me where they could get such stuff. *Hey, if I can get even a few people to kick the AdG habit, then I'm doing my part to make the world a better place. *Even though technically it smells "good", I could never wear it with a straight face. *Its funny for a girl to get wistful about AdG because her man wore it. *Aww, how special is that. *Does she also get wistful and think "Oh, they're playing our old song" whenever "Ice Ice Baby comes on the radio?" *I wonder. *I guess they'll aways have TGIF's to remember their first date by...

The one thing I hate worse than AdG is Z Zegna. *It's the smell of AdG's OCD cleanliness jumping the shark. *What's next-Clorox snorted up the nose? *Lysol breath strips? *As much as I dislike AdG, when I smell Z Zegna in public, I really want to find the likely James Blunt fan wearing it and tie his shoelaces together!

...ROFLMAO!!!... ;D ;D ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

God Indie, you really should be recieving checks from YSL.
    ... must..resist...urge...to...buy...whole...line.....

Serpent

The girl picked up the M7 and actually said this: "Wow. This is a MEN'S cologne? *It smells so powdery. *This stuff is like a male Chanel #5! It reminds me of a powder room smell. *I like it, but it reminds me of Chanel #5." *Anybody get a kick out of that?
    I called M7 the Male No. 5 years ago. That's the prank of the scent: big, hard macho notes over what is essentially a very womanly fragrance. M7's very effete at the core, very soft and powdery, just like No. 5. The lady has a good nose.

Dam dude, when did you say you're inviting you basenote pals over? hehehehehe

Great stories there Indie. I think I just have to get Rive Gauche now....

Even though I've got a collection in the teens, my friends (still in college) all get weirded/wow'd out and I've had similar smell parties. Never anything sexual though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1140515933/0#0 date=1140515932]The girl picked up the M7 and actually said this: "Wow. This is a MEN'S cologne? *It smells so powdery. *This stuff is like a male Chanel #5! It reminds me of a powder room smell. *I like it, but it reminds me of Chanel #5." *Anybody get a kick out of that?
    I called M7 the Male No. 5 years ago. *That's the prank of the scent: big, hard macho notes over what is essentially a very womanly fragrance. *M7's very effete at the core, very soft and powdery, just like No. 5. *The lady has a good nose.[/quote]

Ah, it was you! I knew that SOMEBODY in here had said that before. So this further validates your opinion of M7. You get the "I told you so prize!"

So I had to explain the role of aldehydes in perfumery. I was on tour guide mode, and the stuff I was telling them had their heads spinning. My friend had no idea I was so into all this. On one hand, I want to give him a bunch of decants and direct him to Basenotes...but on the other hand, if I had someone I knew on here, I wouldn't be so anonymous and could never be as candid... So I hope they never find this place!

BTWI didn't get a chance to show that lady the Bulgari Black and see if she compared it to Shalimar.

Uh huh. Proves one thing I have been absolutely convicted about since I was 17. *Women have an animal reaction to Kouros. *We love it. *All of us. *The only reason we wouldn't hit on an attractive available guy wearing Kouros is because it's just too blatant and we'd seem obvious. *However, at my age, being obvious doesn't seem nearly so distasteful and being coquettish seems ridiculous. *You know what you want so you might was well go after it. *

I need to seek out Odeur 53 now. *Never have tried that one.

Well, what really shocked me was how Kouros could actually work on a woman's skin as well. I remember a thread a long time ago, "What Men's Scents Could a Woman Never Pull Off?" The popular opinion was that Kouros was just WAY too masculine for a woman...Now, I'd have to say that isn't true. Its such an animalic, sexually direct fragrance, that BOTH genders could pull it off if it also suited the situation and their personality.

Part of me wants to be greedy and say, "Yeah, Kouros is only for us MEN," but when I smelled it on this girl's wrist...it drove me nuts. Then the smell of Nu on the back of her neck almost pushed me over the edge.

But again, this is why I don't wear Kouros out in public much...because it IS so sexually charged. It's like walking around with one's fly open... and maybe the pants left unbuttoned as well...

This stuff is for the brutal, slamming into walls, Rocco Siffredi variety of making whoopie.

heh-heh.

I said, "Oh, you mean Aqua di Gio?" I said interrupting her reverie, and trying not to be a snobbish dick.

"Yeah! *Very good," she replied, her eyes lighting up. She was impressed.

Inwardly I was like, "Aqua di Gio must DIE!!!" *God, this sh!t is way too popular. *And then LAST night, I went to a packed club, and ALL I COULD SMELL WAS AQUA Di JOE-BLOW... *It's like that scene in "Being John Malkovich" where he goes inside himself, and all he sees is his own face on everybody else. *I guess this is what it is like on a daily basis for your average AdG wearer. *Sounds kind of pathetic...
    Indie, I think we can make a Basenotes drinking game at these crowded clubs now. For each person sniffed wearing AdG another shot glass is emptied.

That must be the secret AdG conspiracy plan.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Indie_guy. What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it!

I have always contended that Kouros is the closest thing on the planet to the smell of raw sex... and as a child of the uninhibited "undressed- by-kings-and-seen-some-things-that-a-woman-aint-spossed-to-see" seventies, this old man knows that smell to a tee, albeit as a long ago memory.

It is endlessly amusing and a little sad to watch you youngsters discover this smell and effect of Kouros on your fiesty little libidos.

Amusing because, well, what could be more amusing than the site of two guys and a woman who-under the influence of the masterful K-are on the verge of falling off the cliff of probriety? And yet, little sad when they decide to come to their senses and walk away from that cliff, safer perhaps but oh that unexplored life...it'll getchya everytime.

You could have always blamed it on drugs.

As for me, "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien"

and of course, "to each their own."

Griff

Griff

Amusing because, well, what could be more amusing than the site of two guys and a woman who-under the influence of the masterful K-are on the verge of falling off the cliff of probriety. A little sad when they decide to come to their senses and walk away from that cliff, safer perhaps but oh that unexplored life...it'll getchya everytime.
    Heh, definitely agree.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Whoever said Kouros sucks should really get their nose rechecked. It is by far a beautiful fragrance. Itís really animalistic and sexual. I remember trying it from a sample and loving it right away and even posted a thread right after asking what everyone was talking about. Really funny how this was my SOTD yesterday. I wore it and like Indie I never wear this one in public. Classes were cancelled on Monday but the Library was still open, and not being able to do any work at home, I headed down to school. I was trying to think of something to wear that I'd probably wouldn't wear in public. Something I could enjoy myself. I knew their probably wouldn't be a soul in sight at school, because who goes to school when they donít need to, only loser like me. Anyways, I havenít worn Kouros in a long time, only the first time at home when I first tested it and I still love it. No urine note or anything, with two sprays, the scent lasted all day. I remember walking into the hot shower at night and it just projected right off my skin and I got a huge whiff . I would put it along sides with MKK, M7, Rive Gauche, and D&G By as being really sexual and animalistic. I hope I'm not offending anyone but it smells like the sweat on your skin after you just made love but in a really good way, oh man is this stuff every so good. It's a true pity because I shy away from wearing it in public.

By the way, I need to test Odeur 53 again, I remember liking because it never felt like I was wearing a fragrance or cologne, it was so natural and it just became part of my skin. It smelt like air or fresh skin, but I remember this one stall note that really bothered me, but I got to check it out again just for fun.

I was reading this thread at work and pretty much laughing my a$$ off. Great story.

Griff, Wow! What a wonderful post. I can't really do much but throw you a wink and a nod!

nsamadi, HEY good to see you around, bro! I enjoyed your post as well. Best wishes in your studies!

And Dave D...Hey, I already saw where you called me a very bad man...in a cool way-before you edited it out...

That's OK. I like to think of myself that way sometimes. It IS hard to wear Kouros and remain "good!"

Griff, Wow! What a wonderful post. I can't really do much but throw you a wink and a nod!...
    My pleasure, so to speak.

It IS hard to wear Kouros and remain "good!"
    Thank dog for that!

Griff

Griff

Ok. I've put Kouros back on my "to test" list. I previously gave this frag an enthusiastic two-thumbs-down after my initial sampling. But after this post, I owe it to myself and the community to give it another try.

D'oh!
    You got me Indie. Some folks take things wrong on bulletin boards so I revised it. Glad you recognized it in jest, as intended.