Code of Conduct

Default Sean Johns first Unforgivable fragrance with Est

US beauty group The Este Lauder Companies (ELC) will debut the initial installment of its Sean John Fragrances brand with a luxury Couture version of its first fragrance, Unforgivable, this December in department store Saks Fifth Avenue in New York, US.

The initial launch in Saks is an extremely high-end presentation of a far more concentrated version of the core fragrance offering, Este Lauder and Sean John Fragrances president John Demsey tells Cosmeticnews.com. We thought it was a great opportunity to position Sean John above the general fray of celebrity fragrances and other activity that is taking place in the urban space. Unforgivables Couture version will also be previewed in Canada at the Holt Renfrew department store in December.

The Unforgivable mens fragrance line was developed by the companys Makeup Art Cosmetics (MAC) division, which is the first time the division has undertaken a fragrance development, and it will be distributed by the Aramis and Designer Fragrances division.

The concentrated Couture or EdP version (75ml, priced $300) is housed in a bottle featuring gunmetal elements. The cool citrus aromatic scent also comes in an Unforgivable EdT (75ml and 126ml, priced $55 and $75 respectively), which will launch in February. Both concentrations include specially harvested ingredients including bergamot, lavender, lemon, and sage.

Like the Sean John apparel line from US rap star Sean Diddy Combs , the fragrance targets the 18 to 30 age bracket. [The brand] has a unique attitude and a unique voice that speaks to a new generation of consumers who embrace the new sense of urban elegance in hip hop lifestyle and it is differentiated from what we have, Demsey continues. We have very high expectations for its initial launch in the US and Canada, hoping to achieve a minimum of a top-10 fragrance performance in its first calendar year, that is, by December 2006.

The EdT line will launch in up to 1,800 department and specialty stores in North America from February. International distribution will take place market by market, according to Demsey. I think it will be a mixed bag, depending on the country and the opportunity that presents itself, he explains.

The Couture fragrance is nevertheless planned to launch in selected high-end outlets such as Harrods in London, UK and Colette in Paris, France in fall 2006.

The launch of Unforgivable will be supported by national print, television and scented strip sampling. The brand is also preparing to follow up the fragrance with a mens grooming line sometime in 2006.

from cosmeticnews.com

Default Re: Sean Johns first Unforgivable fragrance with

I'll put this in the same category as Britney, Paris and Jessica and all the other crap that gets put out to make money from teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    I'll put this in the same category as Britney, Paris and Jessica and all the other crap that gets put out to make money from teenagers.
    Yeah, many will probably have the money from their filthy rich parents to buy $300 EdP! Holy crap

hate to admit this, I love Britney, it's short of a miracle

Quote Originally Posted by fragrancehunter
    hate to admit this, I love Britney, it's short of a miracle
    I think also that Britney is quite sweet, but Curious sucks :P

it was funny to read the title of the thread as "it was truly unforgivable that Sean Combs put out a fragrance," rather than the scent being named Unforgivable...

My first inclination is to side with the former...but will reserve judgement until I've smelled it...

Smelled it today in Saks...it's actually truly incredible. Has a really nice clean scent to it...reminiscent of a less-sweet Pleasures for Men (by Estee Lauder...ironic because its made by Estee so there you go...)

I would say the EdP or Couture version's price isn't worth it but the EdT will certainly be something to look for...

I bet P-Diddy spends alot of time in front of the mirror watching himself as he practices saying words like "couture" and "pret-a-porter"

chewing that stupid little toothpick of his, standing there with his "manservant" keepin the sun off of his skin.

Hope his cologne bombs.

Given P-Diddy's track record with cover songs, I certainly wouldn't expect this new scent of his to be an original. He'll probably just buy a "Marshall's" sampler pack, thrown them all into a blender, pour the finished product into a cool, all platinum bottle and sell it for three figures an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy

Hope his cologne bombs.
    You and me both.

....what an arrogant PRICK!!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Hey man, Ill say one thing for him, the man knows how to market. Think about it: has anyone in recent memeory accomplished so much with so little actual talent? The man is a bonafide mogul, all because he stood behind Notorious B.I.G. and murmured "uh-huh, yeah" into a microphone again and again. You have to respect him for his hyping skills (though he seems to lack any other skills whatsoever)

Quote Originally Posted by nefertem
    Think about it: has anyone in recent memeory accomplished so much with so little actual talent?
    Umm Paris Hilton, Tom Green (although he was funny), Nicole Richie, Vanilla Ice, the Olsen twins, most new age punk bands, of course you could say the same thing about old punk bands but at least they started the genre, Jennifer Love Hewitt, should I continue?
    And one more thing to chew on is that most of us have the same abilities to do anything rich and famous people can do except find a way to become rich and famous. Therein lies a talent. and honestly if you were in "his" shoes wouldn't you do the same thing. I think most of us would too. I'm not defending him in any way and like I have stated before it may smell like heaven, but I still won't wear it.

[quote author=nefertem link=1131055844/0#10 date=1135700583] Think about it: has anyone in recent memeory accomplished so much with so little actual talent?
    Jennifer Love Hewitt[/quote]
    At least JLH is....HOT!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

[quote author=nefertem link=1131055844/0#10 date=1135700583] Think about it: has anyone in recent memeory accomplished so much with so little actual talent?
    Umm Paris Hilton, Tom Green (although he was funny), Nicole Richie, Vanilla Ice, the Olsen twins, most new age punk bands, of course you could say the same thing about old punk bands but at least they started the genre, Jennifer Love Hewitt, should I continue?
    And one more thing to chew on is that most of us have the same abilities to do anything rich and famous people can do except find a way to become rich and famous. *Therein lies a talent. *and honestly if you were in "his" shoes wouldn't you do the same thing. *I think most of us would too. *I'm not defending him in any way and like I have stated before it may smell like heaven, but I still won't wear it.[/quote]

But Vanilla Ice was paid to "rap", the Olsen twins, JLH and Tom Green were paid to "act" and Nichole Ritchie and Paris Hilton were rich to begin with. P. Diddy was a poor kid from wherever with no marketable skills whatsoever who is paid, essentially, to wear fine suits and show up at parties. What does he even list on his taxes under occupation? The only person I can think of with the self-promoting skills equalling that of P. Diddy is Madonna, whom noone would call talentless.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    [quote author=Noseorgy link=1131055844/0#11 date=1135704404][quote author=nefertem link=1131055844/0#10 date=1135700583] Think about it: has anyone in recent memeory accomplished so much with so little actual talent?
    Jennifer Love Hewitt[/quote]
    At least JLH is....HOT![/quote]

Yeah that is a good point, I keep picturing her from that movie with Sigourney Weaver...nummy num num

OK...I must pipe in...I am far from a rap/hip-hop expert but Sean Combs...P diddy...Puffy...whatever...he is far from "talentless." In fact, what is talent? Who decides? I think if you came from nothing and now you can have anything you want....you have a little talent. He has worked hard for everything he has....In fact...Did you all know he drove from D.C to New York multiple times a week to intern at Uptown Records....Also, he was a dancer for "Heavy D" I don't like everything he's done or stands for but I have much respect for someone who has literally made himself who he is today. Also, he was the man behind B.I.G. Producing and marketing records is not an easy and talentless job.

Oh yeah, I ordered Unforgivable yesterday....It may be a keeper...may be an ebay sale...either way...I HAVE to try this one.

As someone that loves music even more than fragrances, I couldn't help but put in my two cents.

Puff Daddy is a god-awful rapper who hires people to ghostwrite for him.

He hasn't had a hit record for him (or even his label) in almost 5 years. Just because he's black doesn't mean he's from the hood. He grew up in the suburbs of westchester county, attended private high school, and went to college.

So he wasn't excactly a rags to riches story.

Why So Serious?

At first spray, it immediately reminded me of MI, but the drydown of Unforgivable has this intense woodiness where MI still preserves its strong citrus nature.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Who cares? He wasn't a multi millionaire growing up. As for his music sure most of it sucks really bad. Well ok all of it.. except for the stuff he did with and for Biggie. The public made him what he is, millions of fans as misguided and in poor taste as they may be in your opinion.

People like his music, style, clothes and perhaps they will and *shock* even some of us that read BN may like his frag.

However he did it, or where he was before, he's made a big name for himself by putting out stuff a lot of the public likes and wants to spend there hard earned cash for. Can't knock the guy for that!

Just my 2c Give me change if you want

All right, all right...I'm not a fan of P. Diddy, but, then again, I'm not a hip-hop fan anyway.

However, this scent sounds very intriguing on the notes alone...I'm looking forward to giving the EdT a try when it hits the shelves soon.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I believe that Lauder pull the most recent ad of P-diddy in bed with two women for Unforgivable. I must say it was the most racy ad for Estee Lauder

At first spray, it immediately reminded me of MI, but the drydown of Unforgivable has this intense woodiness where MI still preserves its strong citrus nature.
    That's kinda interesting given that P. Diddy supposedly wears MI himself.

As much as I dislike rap music, that doesnt have anything to do with this scent. And, to be honest, any of his fans/wanna-bes/people who think they are pimps who can afford this most likely will. Now, will I? No but only because I dont really care for the fragrance not because Im about as anti-ghetto as you can get (I am from rural ohio for gods sake lol).

The man may know how to pimp clothes and scents and his crappy tunes, but he sure as hell does not know how to speak properly. *Please don't tell me it's because he's black because I think that does a huge disservice to black people. *His "ghetto fabulous" schtick wore thin with me almost from the moment he arrived. *I cannot stand watching that man and I'd never "forgive" any guy I met who told me he was wearing his overpriced cologne. *It might be pretty good, but there is alot of great stuff out there so wear something else of for God's sake - lie to me...it wouldn't be the first time......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sharilstuff
    The man may know how to pimp clothes and scents and his crappy tunes, but he sure as hell does not know how to speak properly. *Please don't tell me it's because he's black because I think that does a huge disservice to black people. *His "ghetto fabulous" schtick wore thin with me almost from the moment he arrived. *I cannot stand watching that man and I'd never "forgive" any guy I met who told me he was wearing his overpriced cologne. *It might be pretty good, but there is alot of great stuff out there so wear something else of for God's sake - lie to me...it wouldn't be the first time......LOL
    I'm wearing "Unmistakable" right now! LOL!

I was surprised to see Unforgivable for sale (and for testing!) in Sephora today.

I gave it a squirt on those incredibly small Sephora testing papers and found it be a bit like Millesime Imperial. I thought it was a bit disappointing that they would copy one of my favorite scents and give it to the masses (though in a way, it already is), but I then considered it to be an opportunity to get an alternative M.I. a lot cheaper.

Then I squirted it on my hand.

I don't know what happens that makes the fragrance do this (whether it be my own skin or the cologne itself) but it turns sickly sweet. It's also a bit oceanic, but for some reason it just turns wretched. I sprayed it on another spot on my arm to make sure I wasn't mixing it in with some other colognes I tried and it still smelled horrible.

Thanks but no thanks. You almost got it Puffy, but not quite.

My chemistry works well with this one....not as good as MI (IMO) but still one of the best (Retail store) scents out.

It may just be my taste, but this new Sean John didn't impress one bit. I have like 4 sample vials of it, and I will never wear it. The one time I wore it on my wrist was enough for me.
    Rob

I was given a couple generous sample vials from the clerk at Nordstrom's ... and I too am unimpressed with it. To me it smells like one of the Bond No 9's (maybe Wall Street?)

Either way, I'm SOO glad I didn't buy this one blind.

Is it my imagination but does it seem that anything that comes out of Estee Lauder company smell the same (ie Unforgiveable=Beyond Pleasure for men)....just curious???

I agree...it smells like a combo of Wall Street and MI...I'm not too keen on WS but I do like MI.
    Unforgivable does not give me a headache like WS does and it lacks the seaweed note that WS has.

I dont think Unforgiveable is even in the same category as a Bond NO. 9 fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by agml65
    I dont think Unforgiveable is even in the same category as a Bond NO. 9 fragrance.
    I agree ...

I think Bond's are much lower

This will probably be a big mass market hit. For that very reason I sure hope it's not too close to creeds MI. I'd hate to have people smell me with MI on and go "hey your wearing puffy's new stuff"

That being said I am still interested in sniffing this one just for the hell of it.

Default Sean John's Unforgiveable... Except his apology

Greetings Basenotes:

Before I start with my review of this hot clean masculine and very rich fragrance.
    I want to say "God has a way of redirecting you right back, to that very thing that you struggle with the most"

My name is Luther Aramis McRae, I believe a positive light can be shed on the man and his fragrance. I'm writing with so much passion, and conviction this morning, and hopefully this email will reach the right people and consumers. We fear what we don't understand in our everyday lives. And that either can make you, hurt you, or bless you.

I'm in the fragrance industry located in the mega-heart of San Francisco, Ca.
    And I was blessed to have worked for "Aramis Designer Fragrances" / Estee Lauder Co. And when I was introduced to the fragrance first. I was very excited about it. As I began to smell it, as it traveled through my oil factory my senses welcomed it.

Sean John is a very misunderstood man. I agree with alot of you about the ad. And this has been corrected. There are so many fragrances out and I don't want this one to fall short. By a wrongful or misunderstood image. The notes alone are hot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Basil, and Rum. (Good lord) Men and Ladies go out to your nearest Macy's on Feb 14 2006 and get this fragrance.

And hopefully i'll see you behind the fragrance counter.
    And hopefully all is "Forgivin"

Luther

I'll have to have it. I'm a sucker for hype. ;D

Default Re: Sean John's Unforgiveable... Except his apolog

Quote Originally Posted by MrLuther122667
    Greetings Basenotes:

Before I start with my review of this hot clean masculine and very rich fragrance.
    I want to say "God has a way of redirecting you right back, to that very thing that you struggle with the most"

My name is Luther Aramis McRae, I believe a positive light can be shed on the man and his fragrance. I'm writing with so much passion, and conviction this morning, and hopefully this email will reach the right people and consumers. We fear what we don't understand in our everyday lives. And that either can make you, hurt you, or bless you.

And I was blessed to have worked for "Aramis Designer Fragrances" / Estee Lauder Co. And when I was introduced to the fragrance first. I was very excited about it. As I began to smell it, as it traveled through my oil factory my senses welcomed it.

Sean John is a very misunderstood man. I agree with alot of you about the ad. And this has been corrected. There are so many fragrances out and I don't want this one to fall short. By a wrongful or misunderstood image. The notes alone are hot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Basil, and Rum. (Good lord) Men and Ladies go out to your nearest Macy's on Feb 14 2006 and get this fragrance.

Luther

Well, let's hope that Aramis doesn't botch this launch like some others, eh?
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Default Re: Sean John's Unforgiveable... Except his apolog

Quote Originally Posted by MrLuther122667
    Greetings Basenotes:

Luther

well, so long as it has been dubbed "hot" by the "oil factory" of someone in the industry....

Lol yeah, wtf...is he trying to say olfactory but said oil factory? Someone in the business would know better....

Tried it at Sephora today. To me it smelled like a Pleasures for men and Beyond Paradise combo but much more refined and better made than either. One of the best men fragrances under Estee Lauder's name IMO

I finally sprayed some of this on me in Macys and I have to say to my nose it smells like Estee Lauder's White Linen. White Linen has some kind of pungent note that just lingers and gets in your mouth and Unforgivable has it. Also I found this one to be one of the most longest lasting in a long time men's fragrance from Lauder/Amaris.

Tried this out.

On the initial spritz, it totally smelled like MI to me. So, I put a little on my wrists and wandered around to test a few other things. After the top note faded, it bore no resemblence whatsoever to MI. It was very weak; the only thing that stood out was a slight grapefruit-like scent. I didn't smell the musk or sea-salt I get from MI. And after only a few minutes I could smell almost nothing at all.

Like Scentimus I think that Unforgivable has a decent lasting power. I compared it with few other colognes and this one was superior.

Quote Originally Posted by breeze11
    Like Scentimus I think that Unforgivable has a decent lasting power. I compared it with few other colognes and this one was superior.
    What would you compare it to?

My wife bought me this for Valentine's Day.

It's very fresh. First minute there is a little Creed MI going on, but after dry down it's much more like Bond Wall Street. But I find it much more tolerable than Wall Street, which became very cloying on me after a couple of hours. There is a trace of Beyond Paradise in there as well.

So I like Unforgivable better, and it's eminently wore "wearable" than Wall Street. I actually may like it better than Creed MI, as well.

Sorry, guys. It's a great scent for work and settings where you want to smell good but not over power people.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    My wife bought me this for Valentine's Day.

It's very fresh. First minute there is a little Creed MI going on, but after dry down it's much more like Bond Wall Street. But I find it much more tolerable than Wall Street, which became very cloying on me after a couple of hours. There is a trace of Beyond Paradise in there as well.

So I like Unforgivable better, and it's eminently wore "wearable" than Wall Street. I actually may like it better than Creed MI, as well.

Sorry, guys. It's a great scent for work and settings where you want to smell good but not over power people.
    DITTO....I can't tolerate Wall St. However, I fell MI may be a tad bit more favorable to me....Unforgivable is definitely a winner in my book.
    It lasts and lasts.

I saw this one at Carson's the other night and gave it a whirl. It's not bad. But it's not nimd-blowing, either. It is somewhat reminiscent of Millesime Imperial at first blast. The drydown on me smacks of Dunhill for Men 2003 with the musk note. But I've got more than a handful of contenders coming up ahead of this one. Maybe someday. I dunno.

I just tested this, and it really smells like a Bond No. 9 Wall Street clone. Has a good longevity for a fresh scent. I actually would buy it rather than spending loads on a bottle of Wall Street. I remember seeing the description of the scent on a post several months back with all the mumbo jumbo adjectives describing the scent. Getting tired of it really because all it should've said despite all the hype is "Smells like Wall Street".

He'll definitely catch a bunch of cologne wearers in my area...at least it's not going to smell like Polo Black around me anymore.

**UPDATE** I also catch his favorite Creed MI at the base too.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

"oil factory" LOL and ROTFL!

I'm sure he means well, but If I ever heard an SA say that I would laugh my ass off.

As for the scent. Can't comment on the $300 EDP (if it truly exists)

I did try the EDT though...

Nothing special. It isn't awful, but its just like something you'd find for ten bucks at TJ MAXX and STILL pass on it.

You can get a similar and vastly superior scent in Live Jazz. Similar scents, with Live Jazz having more character.

I actually do pick up the "champagne" note in Unforgiveable, but this scent overall is just unremarkable.

Nothing special. Really.

well, no matter the quality or affability of the fragrance itself, the truly remarkable thing is how much attention this is getting. *

look at this forum alone. as i write there are nearly 1500 replies! *

the next mostly highly trafficked thread comes in at far less than half that, a couple have been read ~ 400 times or so but most have only
    managed to grab the atttention of around 100 or fewer readings.

so what is really going on here? is this perhaps what he commands the bucks for? the man has undeniable branding power.

what do people think of the ad with the very uncomfortable, almost deceased looking, asian woman laying her neck stiffly
    (and apparently the only stiff thing for miles) on his thigh and staring blankly into the distance as Sean John himself perches
    awkwardly at the bed's edge as if he, too, is so bored he is about to run away and the semi-conscious, also unpleasured looking
    woman*in bed, propped against the wall in the backgrounsd. *Neither looks like they want to be there. what knid of message is that?

Another attempt to grab some of those Gio dollars.
    Gary