Code of Conduct

Thread: Agua Brava

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agua Brava

I went to the cheapie perfume section in a chemist shop today to check out if there were any gems hidden amongst the copies. I tried a bottle called Heraldo, which distinctly reminded me of Coriolan. Then I came across un ultra cheap bottle of Agua Brava by Puig, which was meant to be a splash one, but was actually a spray, so I decided to buy it blind.

Then something else caught my eye, a 50ml bottle of Coriolan, also going extremely cheap. At the checkout, it didn't register on their computer, but they gave it to me for the wrong price that was on it anyway, together with a buy one- get one free voucher for the cinema.

The Agua Brava at first seemed somewhat similar in style to Aqua De Selva (I sprayed some one each arm). The Aqua de Selva was initially stronger, but died down at a much faster rate. Five hours later the pine odor of Agua Brava is still going strong on my arm, despite it only being an EDC. And now it is somewhat reminiscent of Blenheim's Bouquet.

Does anybody else find Agua Brava an interesting scent?
    Renato

Default Re: Agua Brava

Hey Renato,

I've owned 2 bottles of Agua Brava and think it is a fine scent.
    In Spain it is a common scent and cheap as chips.
    Sounds like you got a Spanish bargain.
    If you want to try the next level in Spanish refinement, give Loewe Esencia a try.
    Both Agua Brava and Esencia are very masculine scents.

Never tried Agua Brava, but i would like to.

btw, Musky_ Monkey, everytime i see your screen name and that chimp picture, i almost break out laughing! ;D ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Never tried Agua Brava, but i would like to.

btw, Musky_ Monkey, everytime i see your screen name and that chimp picture, i almost break out laughing! ;D ;D
    I can't believe I'm still single...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Renato,
    Did you shop at Chadstone?
    Cheers,
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    Hey Renato,

I've owned 2 bottles of Agua Brava and think it is a fine scent.
    In Spain it is a common scent and cheap as chips.
    Sounds like you got a Spanish bargain.
    If you want to try the next level in Spanish refinement, give Loewe Esencia a try.
    Both Agua Brava and Esencia are very masculine scents.
    I tried one of the Loewe ones years ago (can't remember which) and it didn't grab me. They're a bit hard to find around here.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Hey Renato,
    Did you shop at Chadstone?
    Cheers,
    Alex
    No, it was at Heidelberg - the My Chemists often have slightly differing products in the cheapie section - I've never found anything interesting at the Chadstone one.
    Renato

It is a very interesting scent which wears different on me almost everytime I wear it. Generally comes off as heavily herbal on me, but the last time it turned out soapy.

For some reason, I think Indiana Jones would wear this fragrance!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Agua Brava is one of those fragrances that works on many levels Cheap but Sexy
    Manly yet Inviting

I only wish they made a Edp version so it would last longer. The incense notes in the dry down are similar to but much weaker than Gucci PH.

Post Thanks / Like

Any similarity with Puig's Quorum?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a period of consecutive (late) summer holidays in Spain and there *were two standard bottles I would bring home: Some lavender and Agua Brava. Later I would replace the lavender with a bottle of Quorum. That was before basenotes. Since then I have expanded my horizon.

Still, I could maybe give up a bottle from Guerlain but never the latter two Spanish colognes with their *down-to-earth, fresh, male scent and an outdoor, wind and pine grove touch. There is a camp fire somewhere in the air also. For me, they are variations of the same theme, and I love them. Totally underrated here in basenotes, but that does not speak against them.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    No, thank heavens (I am Quorum averse).

It really does have excellent staying power for an EDC, I'd have thought it an EDT.

I've been testing it and Blenheim's Bouquet side by side tonight. Blenheim's is a bit brighter than Agua Brava, but other than that these two scents are fairly similar after they've been on the skin for an hour. Agua Brava is the longer lasting one.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I had a bottle of Agua Brava Sea Power once and found it quite decent. Incredibly inexpensive, a nice aquatic summer-ish scent...

-R

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    I'll have to concur that it is not very similar to Quorum, which is an outright excellent fragrance IMHO.

Aqua Quorum is nothing to get excited about, and nothing like Quorum, by the way, very much a Cool Water clone.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I`m waiting for my parsel from Tenerife - and all those bottles mentioned here are in it: Aqua Brava, Quorum and - wow! Adolpho Dominguez Vetiver!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

No, Renato,

I'm sorry, but Agua Brava just smells so chaotic, green and nauseous to me. I can't wear it. If I had the large samples of the bottles that I've collected in my life still around, I'd gladly give them to you.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish
    I`m waiting for my parsel from Tenerife - and all those bottles mentioned here are in it: Aqua Brava, Quorum and - wow! Adolpho Dominguez Vetiver!!!
    Quorum is one of the few scents I dislike intensely - yet I've had great fun debating it with a guy at work who reckons it is fabulous.
    Dominguez Vetiver was a bit like Gucci Rush on me - at first I thought it was a short lasting scent, disappearing in a couple of hours. But then I noticed it reappearing over 10 hours later when I perspired a bit, so it was a long lasting scent after all. Tell us how you go with it.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    No, Renato,

I'm sorry, but Agua Brava just smells so chaotic, green and nauseous to me. * I can't wear it. *If I had the large samples of the bottles that I've collected in my life still around, I'd gladly give them to you.
    My girlfriend intensely dislikes pine scents like this one. Clearly it's not for everybody. However, I think that what you consider chaotic, I consider interesting.
    Renato

Chaotic in the sense that my stomach turned the instant I sniffed it. To each his own, but I can't breathe deeply with this one.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

I can just lean back here and relax: while I understand everyone who hates Agua Brava or Quorum, or both, I love them for what they are and think they are flawless. Of course, I learnt that some members have a more sensitive nose than I may (who knows, really), and these two scents are neither terribly refined nor bashful in the least. I myself can bear a lot, unless a scent has the joop-kind of stickiness.

I will be curious about Dominguez Vetiver. But by the end of summer I may have made it as far as Barcelona, and who knows what I may find...
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=moon_fish link=1139988200/0#14 date=1140502815]I`m waiting for my parsel from Tenerife - and all those bottles mentioned here are in it: Aqua Brava, Quorum and - wow! Adolpho Dominguez Vetiver!!!
    Quorum is one of the few scents I dislike intensely - yet I've had great fun debating it with a guy at work who reckons it is fabulous.
    Dominguez Vetiver was a bit like Gucci Rush on me - at first I thought it was a short lasting scent, disappearing in a couple of hours. But then I noticed it reappearing over 10 hours later when I perspired a bit, so it was a long lasting scent after all. Tell us how you go with it.
    Renato[/quote]

As I recall my try of Quorum in Berlin - it was brilliant chypre cuir as it should be.
    Very formal, very 70-80-s classic cologne, and long-living!

As for AD Vetiver I found it very bright solar vetiver cologne - lots of sun, fun and flowers )
    It reminds me Vetiver pour femme a bit...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smellitnow
    Agua Brava is one of those fragrances that works on many levels Cheap but Sexy
    Manly yet Inviting

I only wish they made a Edp version so it would last longer. The incense notes in the dry down are similar to but much weaker than Gucci PH.
    I also wish it were EDP.

For something along these lines but EDT, consider Eau de 4 Voleurs

For something EDP, consider Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo (and I think he makes it now in EDP to boot, although I don't want to think of the price)
    K