Code of Conduct

Default Tell me what you like/hate

I put together a list of colognes that I've heard good things about on the internet and from people around town and such. I'd really like it if someone could tell me which ones suck/rule.

DKNY Be Delicious
    Versace Jeans series
    M7
    Vera Wang for Men
    Dunhill Fresh
    Givenchy Pi
    Dolce and Gabbana for Him
    Estee Lauder Intuition
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Lacoste pour Homme
    True Star Men
    Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior
    Aqua de Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari
    Happy for Men by Clinique
    Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani
    Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    Allure Homme by Chanel
    John Varvatos
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Booster by Lacoste
    Rush by Gucci

Thanks.

Also, I'm an 18 year old in high school. I own a bottle of Gucci Envy and love it, just to get an idea of my tastes. I also like aqua scents too. [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tell me what you like/hate

The best thing to do is visit a department store that stocks a lot of the scents you have listed and smell them over the course of a few weeks. In that way, you will know yourself which ones 'suck' and which ones are great.

I could list names of scents which I think suck and then the next person who replies might think that they are great.

It is very much a personal choice. Enjoy all the sniffing and besides, it will help your 'perfume education'.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry
    The best thing to do is visit a department store that stocks a lot of the scents you have listed and smell them over the course of a few weeks. In that way, you will know yourself which ones 'suck' and which ones are great.

I could list names of scents which I think suck and then the next person who replies might think that they are great.

It is very much a personal choice. Enjoy all the sniffing and besides, it will help your 'perfume education'.
    That's what the purpose of this post was, to get other people's opinion on stuff. [smiley=wink.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Right then here goes............

These scents are OK by me....
    M7
    Givenchy Pi
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior
    Allure Homme by Chanel

The rest on your list suck!
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Why does everyone love Farhenheit? It's an 80's based scent. I've never smelled it and I'm not hating on it, I just don't get it. Every store I've ever been in that sells any kind of cologne sells it, including Eckerd. Why is it so popular among us, the elite. I hear it smells like gas, but if it's worth it I'll probably pick a bottle up.

The Basenotes reviews are great for this kind of thing. Whenever I hear of, or come across, a new fragrance I head over to that section of the site to see what other people think. Usually you get a lot of varying opinions, though, so you really need to try things yourself before you buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I like:

M7
    Estee Lauder Intuition
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder
    John Varvatos

I don't care for the rest on the list.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Above average

There are few like Aqua de Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari
    Happy for Men by Clinique & Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder etc. which I consider to be average.

As for the rest, such as the versace jeans series, I feel their rightfull place is in the bin, because I consider them to be a pile of crap...

Thus, in line with the royal Prince Barry's inital comments, it all depends on what you think upon sampling....
    Let your nose be your pilot

Vera Wang
    D&G pour Homme
    Jaipur Homme
    Allure Homme
    Gucci Rush

And that's about it in my opinion. ALot of those you might not like if you like aquatics, including the ones I mentioned. Just something to keep in mind when you go to try out some of these.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessWallet
    I put together a list of colognes that I've heard good things about on the internet and from people around town and such. I'd really like it if someone could tell me which ones suck/rule.

DKNY Be Delicious-Hate
    Versace Jeans series-Only sampled Blue Jeans, which is OK
    M7-Lovely evening scent!
    Vera Wang for Men-
    Dunhill Fresh-
    Givenchy Pi-
    Dolce and Gabbana for Him-Very common, but a nice boozey scent with lots of sillage
    Estee Lauder Intuition-
    Kenneth Cole Reaction-
    Lacoste pour Homme-The best in the "Boss Bottled, Silver Shadow"-group, IMO
    True Star Men- OK, quite fresh scent, but nothing spectacular
    Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret-
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron- HEAVY and sweet, but when you're in mood; lovely
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior- Way too mature for me
    Aqua de Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari- On of the few fresh scents I quite like
    Happy for Men by Clinique- Boring, and synthetic
    Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani-Probally nice for a 60+, but doubt for someone under
    Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder-
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake-
    Allure Homme by Chanel- Quite nice and formal scent which is very suitable for winters and evenings
    John Varvatos- Long time since sampled, butremember I found it pretty nice and warm ( If you like Envy, this may be something)
    The Dreamer by Versace- Synthetic and annoying scent in the veins of Le Male
    Booster by Lacoste-
    Rush by Gucci- Only sampled the womens, which is veeery comfortable

Thanks.

Also, I'm an 18 year old in high school. I own a bottle of Gucci Envy and love it, just to get an idea of my tastes. I also like aqua scents too. [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Well here is what I think about the ones I have tried.

Versace Jeans series -its a series and IMO some suck and others (actually just Black Jeans) are awesome. Green Jeans is a strong citric-pine so its different and I would recommend a find a try. And black jeans is, as I said, awesome. A herbal, partly floral scent that still doesnt smell like anything a woman would wear. For that it is an achievement. Very different.

M7 - I love most of YSL's frags, this isnt one of them. Really powdery and medicinal on me. Reminds me of my great grandma's house.

Dolce and Gabbana for Him - Great. Lemon and tobacco. What more could you need? Check it out.

Lacoste pour Homme - Rather boring to me. While its not bad, it certainly isnt worth the money.

True Star Men - like a cheaper version of Lacoste pour homme, just with a metallic note.

John Varvatos - My favortie. Subtle yet always present. Ha, as much as I like it I find myself lacking words to describe it. Its a "warm" scent with containing a leather note

The Dreamer by Versace - Another fave. Like D&G ph, this one contains tobacco. This one is just much stronger in terms of sillage.

Rush by Gucci - Cedar and smoke with a bit more cedar and some traces of alcohol. Still I find myself liking it.
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - Never reall understood this one myself.... I think it is awful it does smell of gas and grass. If I want something strong and from the 80s, I'll go for Kouros over this any day.

BusinessWallet

Welcome to Basenotes.

A nose is a subjective thing. You will of course see many posts here asking for opinions on scents however, they will be all over the map. One man's ambrosia is another man's fulsome, putrid stinking corpse flower, yada yada yada...We often kid each other about each other's execrable taste in scents but it is alway in jest and good fun.

Over time, you will find those members that share, to some measurable extent, your own nose for scents and their opinions will tend to be the ones that you will seek out.

But don't limit your experimentation to just those few scents with which you are comfortable. Set forth and discover! For me, one of the great joys of this forum has been the new fragrances that I have added to my list based on the enthusiasm and knowledge of other, more experienced fragophiles who haunt this place.

So, those on your list that I like (i.e., own and wear)

Givenchy Pi
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Jaipur
    Fahrenheit (I always have and alway will love this one if only for one reason; it's a massive singularity on the scent map. And I still love it. )
    Beyond Paradise
    Allure Homme
    John Varvatos
    The Dreamer by Versace

The others, uh...not so much.

Griff

Griff

Post Thanks / Like

Like enough to have purchased:

Black Jeans
    D & G ph
    Jaipur ph
    John Varvatos
    The Dreamer
    M7

never tried Fahrenheit or Pi or Rush or Lacoste pour Homme

You might want to try Paul Smith Men as a more modern alternative to Fahrenheit.

So, bear in mind these are my tastes (i dont like many sweet or floral scents at all), as for the ones ive owned or tried on your list...

M7 - If you love Envy, its very probable your gonna like this too. I never took to it really as it was far too sweet on my skin and sweet and me dont go togethor
    Dolce and Gabbana for Him - I detested this myself. There is something in it that I hate with a passion....im still trying to find out what it is exactly. Smelt stuffy, old and too feminine.
    Lacoste pour Homme - Like an overly sweet and sharp Boss Bottled. Again, I disliked it.
    Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret - A very nice subtle and sexy scent. Not over the top masculine but not feminine at all neither. My missus LOVES this!
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior - I quite like it but try before you buy with this one!
    Happy for Men by Clinique - ORANGES! Thats what your gonna smell with this and its great! Lasts forever on me too.
    Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani - I dont really belive in ages for scents but I really think this is a bit too old for an 18 year old.
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake - Another one I like. Like A d Gio but with a bit more balls

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like:

Very Sexy for Him
    Allure ph
    D&G ph

I'm not familiar enough with the others on your list to offer an opinion. Have fun testing all of the frags on your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Why does everyone love Farhenheit?
    Just for a little balance, I cannot stand Fahrenheit and, yes, I get nothing but gasoline out of it.

Of those on your list, I like (but do not love) the following:

Versace Jeans Series (except Blue Jeans)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme
    Lacoste Pour Homme
    Aqua de Bulgari Pour Homme*
    Happy for Men
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Versace Dreamer*
    Allure Homme
    Booster
    Rush

* My favorites from this list

Jeff

among the ones i know, I like:
    M7
    Allure Homme by Chanel
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Rush by Gucci

but this is so subjective, you should definitely try them yourself.
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

I'll consider worth of mention these ones:
    • M7 *****
    • Givenchy Pi ****
    • Dolce and Gabbana for Him ****
    • Jaipur Homme by Boucheron ***
    • Fahrenheit by Christian Dior ****
    • Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani ***
    • L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake ****
    • The Dreamer by Versace ****
    • Rush by Gucci ***
    others suck!

Post Thanks / Like

Some I've tried from your list and some I havent. Not that the others suck, but I prefer these...

DKNY Be Delicious
    Versace Jeans series (Black Jeans and Metal)
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Happy for Men by Clinique
    Allure Homme by Chanel
    Rush by Gucci
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Spring Top 10

1) Platinum Egoiste
    2) CK Truth
    3) Light Blue (Women's)
    4) Dolce & Gabbana PH
    5) Image
    6) Gendarme Mojo
    7) Artisan Black
    8) Mat; Male
    9) Live Jazz
    10) Sentiment

I don't really care for Pi, Be Delicious, and True Star...the rest have a notability. Oh, and I only like Jeans Couture, Blue and Metal in the Versace Jeans series.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Sticking with your binomial nomenclature...

M7: Like
    Vera Wang for Men: Like
    Dolce and Gabbana for Him: Hate
    Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret: Hate
    Jaipur Homme by Boucheron: Hate
    Happy for Men by Clinique: Like
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake: Hate
    Allure Homme by Chanel: Hate
    Booster by Lacoste: Like
    Rush by Gucci: Like (but I think that Tumulte PH is a superior scent, rendering Rush obsolete)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like!!!:
    M7
    The Dreamer
    Jaipur
    Pi
    Vera Wang
    Allure Homme

Post Thanks / Like

I would consider:

M7
    Allure Homme by Chanel

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    BusinessWallet

Welcome to Basenotes.

A nose is a subjective thing. You will of course see many posts here asking for opinions on scents however, they will be all over the map. One man's ambrosia is another man's fulsome, putrid stinking corpse flower, yada yada yada...We often kid each other about each other's execrable taste in scents but it is alway in jest and good fun.

Over time, you will find those members that share, to some measurable extent, your own nose for scents and their opinions will tend to be the ones that you will seek out.

But don't limit your experimentation to just those few scents with which you are comfortable. Set forth and discover! For me, one of the great joys of this forum has been the new fragrances that I have added to my list based on the enthusiasm and knowledge of other, more experienced fragophiles who haunt this place.

So, those on your list that I like (i.e., own and wear)

Givenchy Pi
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Jaipur
    Fahrenheit (I always have and alway will love this one if only for one reason; it's a massive singularity on the scent map. And I still love it. )
    Beyond Paradise
    Allure Homme
    John Varvatos
    The Dreamer by Versace

The others, uh...not so much.

Griff

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks to everyone who gave constructive responses. They will help me in the future. It seems like everyone likes Black Jeans, I can't seem to find a bottle of it. What stores sell it, and is anyone willing to sell me a bottle/decant?

Post Thanks / Like

Why is it so popular among us, the elite. I hear it smells like gas, but if it's worth it I'll probably pick a bottle up.
    I don't care about Fahrenheit at all. The gasoline note is way too strong, but then again, I'm not elite at all :'(

Are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Myself, I really like only Chanel Allure (and only two thirds of that: the middle and base are divine, the top smells like I forgot to rinse the shampoo outta my hair) and John Varvatos (but more for what its trying to be than what it is, if that makes sense). Bvlgari Aqua's not too shabby either, but I prefer YSL's Live Jazz for missions that would require this kinda thing.

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks to everyone who gave constructive responses. They will help me in the future. It seems like everyone likes Black Jeans, I can't seem to find a bottle of it. What stores sell it, and is anyone willing to sell me a bottle/decant?
    In my experience, you wont have much luck soliciting trades within the discussion forum, however....
    you can go looking for it here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...board=sellswap
    or post an inquiry as to whose got it here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/YaBB.pl?board=wanted
    good luck!