Code of Conduct

Default Taking suggestions and recommendations

Okay. Here's the situation.

I'm trying to find a fragrance for my husband. I've gotten him a nice bottle of Lancome Miracle for Men, and that's pretty nice, but another option (preferably one that commonly has an after shave as well as the EDT) or two might be in order.

I know, ask him, but the thing is, he's mostly agnostic about the subject. He can usually say what he doesn't like, certainly, but he doesn't have a great idea about what he does like, and mostly he leaves it to me. So long has he doesn't hate it and I like it, he's fine with it.

He's not a very "perfumey" kind of guy. He needs something reasonably light, clean, and fresh. Cool Water is good, but it's pretty common and if I could find something just a bit more off the beaten path, I'd like that. The Miracle is good, as mentioned. We tried some Z by Zegna and we were both quite taken with it, but so far I haven't been able to find it anywhere other than big name department stores at full retail price (eek!).

Given this background, I'd be happy to hear people's preferences and things they like, so we can check them out until we find one that suits him and me.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Default Re: Taking suggestions and recommendations

If you're not wanting to spend alot of money, it must have an aftershave with it, light and clean,

Try the following:

-Kenneth Cole Reaction

-Baldessarini by hugo boss

-Tommy Bahamma

-Jaguar Performance

-Polo Black, Blue, Silver

-* Vera Wang

I could name some nice stuff but it either doesn't come with aftershave or it can get expensive! Oh yeah, welcome to basenotes!

For a "non-perfumey" type of guy you may want to consider one of the Gendarmes?
    I don't know about aftershave combos, but as a fresh, unobtrusive fragrance, they're a good choice.
    I quite like Gendarme 20 which has a nice lavender note, but the standard Gendarme may be the safer buy.

My favorites lights are Lanvin L'Homme and YSL's *Live Jazz.

for internet prices for Z Zegna you might look into the following. *They are companies I have found very reliable.

http://www.perfume-bay.com/men-s-z-z...a-for-men.html
    http://www.scentiments.com/scentimen...CTR4U92TFV5308

To clarify, the after shave is just because I know he'll wear that, and you can keep it in the bathroom (whereas the actual fine fragrances are stored away from the heat and humidity and not in a place he'll think of to check automatically). A nice scented balm after a shave is just a nice thing, and helps with "layering" the fragrance for a longer-lasting scent.

I'm not opposed to spending a fair bit of money on fragrance, just not full retail price in a big department store. ;D I just can't bring myself to pay for the rent, the fixtures, the staff, etc. for some deparment store (especially when I know perfectly well you can get the same fragrance from various places online for a fraction of the full retail cost).

This is good so far. I'm taking notes. Next time we go out I'll get him to some fragrance counters and try out a couple. I find you really need to let the fragrance mellow on your skin to see what it's REALLY like.

bonni

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Dear Bonni,

Did you try Essenza di Zegna? - I find it a much better quality scent than Z.

Clean and after-shavey?

Dior Eau Sauvage
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Armani Eau Pour Homme

Van Cleef and Arpels Zanzibar is another one that fits the bill - it seemed to be a bit of a retail flop and is available (in Australia at least) very cheaply in gift sets with balm.

As suggested previously, Baldessarini and Lanvin are nice too.

If he's willing to try something a bit woodier (not clean) but very masculine, Gucci PH.

All these should be available retail and on line.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Z Zegna is a good recommendation, but if that's even too much for him, I'd suggest Versace Jeans Couture. The bottle might be a put off, but it's very subtle and fresh, with a hint of muskiness.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

If you like Cool Water the I would suggest Z Zenga again but also Azzaro Chrome, Bvlgari Blu Notte, Green Irish Tweed by Creed. Those are all clean mens scents that I prefer to wear.

Both Bvlgari pour homme and Blv pour homme might be good. I find most of Bvlgari's scents (the women's too) quite light, smooth and easy to wear. They tend to have a slight 'tea note' which is quite pleasant and refreshing without being too fresh.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain is also nice - some people find this very strong, I find the EDT or an even lighter version quite manageable and although it isn't fresh, the drydown is soft.
    Givenchy pour homme is also nice, 'cleaner' and more conventional than HR in my opinion.

My husband and I find Cool Water quite overpowering - even though we like it. Perhaps if your husband likes Cool Water, he can actually handle stronger fragrances than he thinks!

Guerlain's Vetiver is very fresh and almost herbal on application with an earthy drydown - you could try this too. Definitely does not come across as a heavy scent imo. I don't find it at all perfume-y or cloying - it's masculine but not in an obvious way.

If you would like more info on notes in fragrances etc. have a look at ozmoz.com or perfumemart.com or on the review section of basenotes.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Default OTRe: Taking suggestions and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    If you're not wanting to spend alot of money, it must have an aftershave with it, light and clean,

Try the following:

-Kenneth Cole Reaction

-Baldessarini by hugo boss

-Tommy Bahamma

-Jaguar Performance

-Polo Black, Blue, Silver

-* Vera Wang

I could name some nice stuff but it either doesn't come with aftershave or it can get expensive! Oh yeah, welcome to basenotes!