Code of Conduct

Thread: Apple?

Default Apple?

Let me preface this by saying that I have nothing against synthetic fragrances...

But...

Every fragrance thats ever contained an apple accord that I have tried has smelled very synthetic and very cloying. I've tried one cheap one (Adidas moves), one designer (Hugo Boss) and one niche (Calypso Homme) still the apple note just smells awful.

Is apple a note that must be processed synthetically (aka too difficult/impossible to extract) or is it just that my note hates the apple even though its a natural smell?

Default Re: Apple?

Most, if not all, fruit scents accept citrus fruits are synthetic. I agree apple scents often smell synthetic. Don't like the note at all.

Same here, I just can't stand apple notes in frags, specialy Boss Bottle, a guy at work wears it everyday and he baths in it, and you can smell him from 30 feet away.

Don't forget DKNY Be Delicious Men. Another horrible one...

Quote Originally Posted by minilomaniac
    Don't forget DKNY Be Delicious Men. Another horrible one...
    I think the female version works, but is something you get tired of very quickly. The male version is just horrid.

apple is a hard odor to imitate, and besides which apple smell is apple? they all smell so different

Blog Entries

Dunhill Desire for a man has a warm cinnamon spice apple top note over musk. I find that apple is a scent i don't think can work in a perfume especially for any length of time. The same way a freshly bitten apple turns brown, musky and unappetising over time is the same way I find it works on the skin.

Dunhill Desire for a man is interestingly fresh and fruity at first but then, as time goes on, the apple turns musky and added to the deeper warm of the base becomes too much. Shame.

Diesel Plus Plus Masculine is a very similar, fresher version of the Dunhill. I shall have to sample it properly to see if the apple accord works better in that.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I coule be deranged, but I think Xeryus Rouge has some apple aroma to it. I just bought a bottle of it the other day and wore it for the first time in quite awhile and one of the first things that popped into my head was a hint of spicy apple.
    I'm probably deranged as my nose can sometimes make strange scent associations. :

You will probably hate this, I don't like it myself now, but loved it once ....

Don't forget about Kenneth Cole Reaction (IMO, the only good scent this guy has ever pumped out).

Apples galore.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    Don't forget about Kenneth Cole Reaction (IMO, the only good scent this guy has ever pumped out).

Apples galore.
    I agree. Green apple and watermelon...not too shabby.

I would like Boss Bottled if they toned the apple down a notch and perhaps reduced its sharpness.

I actually found a scent that smells like green apple and isn't too synthetic or syrupy like the others. *It's Miller et Bertaux #3 green, green. *It's concept is that it has everything green smelling in it like green apple, vetiver, grass, etc. its really a good scent and is available at luckyscent.

francois

Quartz, Nicole Miller and Jazz Prestige are also good apple scents.

Is apple a note that must be processed synthetically (aka too difficult/impossible to extract)
    Almost all mens fragrances are made using nothing but synthetic (produced by in vitro chemical synthesis) ingredients. Do all mens fragrances smell "synthetic" to you?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I actually found a scent that smells like green apple and isn't too synthetic or syrupy like the others. It's Miller et Bertaux #3 green, green. It's concept is that it has everything green smelling in it like green apple, vetiver, grass, etc. its really a good scent and is available at luckyscent.
    I have to sniff this one again tonight. I've got a sample and saw that they sell the bottle at $65 now at Luckscent. But apple? The only thing my nose focused on was the so extraordinary lovely, but subtle, incense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    [quote author=MFfan310 link=1138016809/0#9 date=1138029395]Don't forget about Kenneth Cole Reaction (IMO, the only good scent this guy has ever pumped out).

Apples galore.
    I agree. Green apple and watermelon...not too shabby.
    [/quote]

Third. I love Reaction.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=AZsmells link=1138016809/0#12 date=1138034493]I actually found a scent that smells like green apple and isn't too synthetic or syrupy like the others. It's Miller et Bertaux #3 green, green. It's concept is that it has everything green smelling in it like green apple, vetiver, grass, etc. its really a good scent and is available at luckyscent.
    I have to sniff this one again tonight. I've got a sample and saw that they sell the bottle at $65 now at Luckscent. But apple? The only thing my nose focused on was the so extraordinary lovely, but subtle, incense.[/quote]

You must be thinking of #2 Spiritus/Land which is on sale. The Basenotes directory has green, green listed as #2 but luckyscent has it as #3

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    [quote author=shifts link=1138016809/15#15 date=1138054268][quote author=AZsmells link=1138016809/0#12 date=1138034493]I actually found a scent that smells like green apple and isn't too synthetic or syrupy like the others. It's Miller et Bertaux #3 green, green. It's concept is that it has everything green smelling in it like green apple, vetiver, grass, etc. its really a good scent and is available at luckyscent.
    I have to sniff this one again tonight. I've got a sample and saw that they sell the bottle at $65 now at Luckscent. But apple? The only thing my nose focused on was the so extraordinary lovely, but subtle, incense.[/quote]

You must be thinking of #2 Spiritus/Land which is on sale. The Basenotes directory has green, green listed as #2 but luckyscent has it as #3[/quote]

Oh yeah, dammit. My bad. I have smelled Green, green, green as well though, but haven't got a sample of it unfortunately (more unfortunately, not the full bottle). This is one I want for the upcoming summer.

Hah, I actually enjoy those apple notes in Boss scents. (Bottled, Hugo) Especially Bottled I find quite irresistible, overall.

Try Culture Tabac Arena Di Roma, if you possibly can. It`s cheap, but the juice is absolutely high quality, and it contains very refined apple note. It`s excellent scent.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Is apple a note that must be processed synthetically (aka too difficult/impossible to extract)
    Almost all mens fragrances are made using nothing but synthetic (produced by in vitro chemical synthesis) ingredients. Do all mens fragrances smell "synthetic" to you?
    Truthfully no they don't all smell synthetic. *However their is a difference between using essential extracted oil and artificially creating something that renders a similar odor. *I guess for me it's just that the apple note smells off. *It's just too bitter, too metallic. *When I think off apples, I think of how an apple pie smells. *Apples in fragrances to me are nowhere close. *

I have no issue with synthetics if they mirror or improve on the actual smell of a fragrance.

I actually found the women's DKNY Be Delicious's apple accord to be very natural, not nearly as synthetic as others. However, it's a little too strong for me, and besides, why would you want to smell like apples?

Default Introducing... "Red Delicious

Oh yes..........

I was scoping through the new "Vanity Fair" issue with Estee Lauder's man "Tom Ford gracing the front cover. And ran across advertisment for "Red Delicious"
    I really do love "Be Delicious" for men & women. I'm really curious about Red Delicious. I always thought green apples tasted better than red apples. We'll just have to check it out uh..... Ladies and Gentlemen.

It's out for both men and women, let the board know what you think about the new scent. And if you favored "Island" from Michael Kors. Then you'll just love the NEW Fiji coming out soon. I'm really thinking about doing a fragrance board on yahoo.com. I'll keep you all posted alright. And also be looking out for Sean John's Unforgivable for women coming next year !

Keep smelling good !

Luther.

Dont forget about the original Tommy. Warm apple pie

Ferrari Black is described as having Red apple in its top notes, and plum. I'm down with a cold today so I cannot confirm the description. Can anybody?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Gucci PH, YSL Rive Gauche, Caron No. 3, KenzoAir, Cacharel Nemo

keepin' it musky
    Currently wearing: Frapin 1270 by Frapin