Code of Conduct

Default Pi - EdT or EdP version?

I finally decided to buy some Givenchy Pi. I originally didn't care much for it, but found myself "sampling" it whenever I'd be at a department store, and it's really sort of grown on me. It's not something I'd wear very often, so I could get by with a small bottle of it. When I was doing some pricing online, I noticed that there is also a 1oz EdP version besides the normal EdTs. Does anyone have experience with the EdP? Does the scent develop pretty much the same, but is just more powerful (or even overpowering)? Thanks a bunch.

Default Re: Pi - EdT or EdP version?

What an excellent question, I've been wondering the same thing myself!

I have the EDP version. In keeping with other EDP versions of scents (eg Jaipur) I find that it is richer and longer lasting, but develops more slowly and stays close to the skin. I couldn't detect much of a difference between the actual smells, save that the base notes were stronger.

This is unbelievable , why would anyone need and EdP version, hasn't the world suffered enough with the EdT. What we really need is an EdC version ...
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Pi (EdT) is one of the stongest scent I own. I can only imagine an EdP. You would have to somehow use less than 1 spray!

This is unbelievable Shocked, why would anyone need and EdP version, hasn't the world suffered enough with the EdT. What we really need is an EdC version ...
    i thought the exact same thing!

LOL.

It is funny seeing which fragrances are chosen to have the honour of an EDP or 'extreme' version bestowed upon them. Opium and Havana in particular come to mind here - they're more than powerful enough in the regular EDT form.

(Yes, I know that the EDP/extreme version often has a different emphasis).

What the world needs is A*men or Obsession in a weaker formulation - to save me gingerly trying (usually in vain) to administer a fraction of a spray each time I wear them.

francois

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    This is unbelievable , why would anyone need and EdP version, hasn't the world suffered enough with the EdT. What we really need is an EdC version ...
    We already have Pi fraiche. (the blue juice)

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    [quote author=sentient link=1140001128/0#3 date=1140012338]This is unbelievable , why would anyone need and EdP version, hasn't the world suffered enough with the EdT. What we really need is an EdC version ...
    We already have Pi fraiche. (the blue juice)
    [/quote]

I believe the Fraiche wording is confusing implying a lesser than EdC concentration. Though it is a lighter scent than PI the concentration is still EdT not EdC. I think :-/
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I happen to like Pi (but I admit that I use it sparingly.) However, I still think it's a bit too strong, an EDP would just be overkill in my opinion. I have yet to like an EDP for men. Considering that the EDTs are usually first on the market, simply concentrating the fragrance to make an EDP version just makes me think they're milking it.

Hey, thanks for the quick replies! I'd agree that the EdT is quite potent, but my skin seems to hold on to fragrances (i.e., fragrances stay on forever but even strong scents are barely noticable from a few feet away) so I think I might give the EdP a try (heck, it's 2 bucks more). Pi surely isn't a fragrance I'd wear often, but now that it's not as popular as it once was, it would be nice to have for special occasions. I'm pretty new at the whole fragrance things, but I'm starting to aquire a pretty good collection and I just can't help but to expand it more!

That said (and going entirely off topic), I'm always looking for new fragrances for my collection, and if you have any recommendations for "must have" Orientals or Chypres, I'd like to know. The only thing I could think that would make the Basenotes directory better is to be able to search by scent family (using the "Fragrance Notes" field is hit or miss depending on the description)... wading through the forums is a bit awkward too, though it's been helpful in the past. Thanks again.

If the Pi EDP experiment goes well, consider Opium and Jaipur - both also available in EDP form.

Cool, I'll put them on my "to try" list. I know I can trust you because anyone who has Larry David as their avatar is a good person!