Code of Conduct

Default (Platinum) goste

I've tested Platinum goste twice. The first time I wanted to like it; the second time I wanted not to hate it. Both times I was disappointed.

I had to go a bit out of my way to acquire the original goste, as it isn't available in any of the nearby cosmetics or department stores. Having done so, I'm left wondering why the two fragrances share a name. Is it just me, or is "Platinum goste" an injustice?

If Allure Homme Sport is an insult to the original---perhaps a topic for another thread---then isn't Platinum goste sheer sacrilege? I find myself wondering if it's worthy of the name Chanel, let alone goste.

Whom should I blame for the fact that I can find Platinum goste but not the real goste in local shops?
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaon!

Default Re: (Platinum) goste

You can blame Polge for the creations of these scents, but I think he's definitely a master to me! Perhaps you just had to be in the moment and time when these scents were created. It makes much more sense this way. I think it started with Antaeus that he created for the house, and there was no turning back! I think they're all masterpieces in their own right.

Back to the subject, it's possible that you might find a bottle at the Chanel store to try. I've heard Chanel is very picky with whom they distribute frags to, so chances are you might not find one at a retail/discount store. Why one, and not the other? I think they pulled Egoiste off the retail shelves years ago, and I think it's just the boutiques only selling them now.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

It's definetly not for everyone, but it is my favorite Chanel and maybe my favorite anything ever. It's not supposed to be anything like Egoiste, it's the "alter ego" or something. That initial smell reminds me of bleach, and afterwards it gets so sexy. I love it.

I also like Platinum; not a bad fragrance at all IMO. Nothing to do with original.
    Platinum is that kind of scent, which I suppose is very much liked by women: Sweet crispy woods with fresh quality; very masculine.
    Very good lasting power with delicious developing.

Nice scent, but still far away from orig. Egoiste.

Something similar happened to me... I didn't care for Platinum Egoiste at first because I tried it in cool weather. Then, the first time I put it on in warm weather, it was completely different -- and completely excellent. It's been one of the top five in my rotation ever since.

On the other hand, Egoiste I can definitely live without.

-Ronald

Interesting responses. The weather is never too cold here, but neither is it very warm right now. I'm convinced to give Platinum another chance this summer (though I remain dubious). Thanks!

I just checked your wardrobe, and you prefer warm sweet scents....Platinum is not for you, but original Egoiste might be definitely for you, provided you're not offended by the powdery aspect of a scent, as Egoiste is warm, woody with a sweetness, in that order.

Platinum was made for the other man, active, sporty and young at heart with a brandishing charisma. Egoiste original was probably for someone more sophisticated, vivacious, and perhaps rather deviant, and by watching the TV commecial, without retrospect of any conscience of past passions.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Serpent

goste was a victim of poor timing: It came out in 1990, one year after another blockbuster - Eternity for Men - was reshaping the tastes of the market. Heavy and sweet was out; clean and transparent was in. goste was very much a scent of the 1980s, the culmination of everything that had come before it, but Eternity was the scent of the 1990s, the precursor of everything that was to come afterwards. So Platinum goste was really Chanel's response to the market forces, a citrus scent with dry woods, more transparent and light in the model of Eternity for Men. Why they chose to stamp goste on the scent... it's a mystery to me, too. I think it was more a way to redeem the name from the commercial failure of the original goste.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    goste was a victim of poor timing: It came out in 1990, one year after another blockbuster - Eternity for Men - was reshaping the tastes of the market. Heavy and sweet was out; clean and transparent was in. goste was very much a scent of the 1980s, the culmination of everything that had come before it, but Eternity was the scent of the 1990s, the precursor of everything that was to come afterwards. So Platinum goste was really Chanel's response to the market forces, a citrus scent with dry woods, more transparent and light in the model of Eternity for Men. Why they chose to stamp goste on the scent... it's a mystery to me, too. I think it was more a way to redeem the name from the commercial failure of the original goste.
    So true, this was a time where fresh-sporty was becoming a thing of focus, where I myself was held back by the deep smoldering essences of course Egoiste, Fendi Uomo, Gigli Homme, and Escada Pour Homme.

The target demographic changed focus to the young 20-somethings interested in wearing a fragrance, rather than the older distinguished gentleman wanting a scent as part of their grooming regimen. With the greater use of synthetics and a lesser concentration, the fragrance industry has been able to control the pricetag inflation by 10%-$20% since then.

I'm not a happy camper myself. There's barely any variety because of this direction in the market. I'm slightly happy that there is the random direction of a warmer, sophisticated scent being introduced, but the general concentration weak and fleeting.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    *So Platinum goste was really Chanel's response to the market forces, a citrus scent with dry woods, more transparent and light in the model of Eternity for Men.
    I guess its all relative to how you define light, because I don't find Platinum goste "light" at all. It's got those metallic and sort of hickory/peat smoke-esque notes going on. I would say in fact that it's sort of heavy. And those basenotes probably hold the record for being the longest lasting of all fragrances I've tried... I've smelled it on my skin two days after wearing it, and that's with a day's worth of sweating, showering and another fragrance in-between.

-R

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    I guess its all relative to how you define light, because I don't find Platinum goste "light" at all. It's got those metallic and sort of hickory/peat smoke-esque notes going on. I would say in fact that it's sort of heavy. And those basenotes probably hold the record for being the longest lasting of all fragrances I've tried... I've smelled it on my skin two days after wearing it, and that's with a day's worth of sweating, showering and another fragrance in-between.
    Well, Platinum goste was, at its release, the lightest in composition of all of Chanel's men's scents. *And it was light for its day. *Remember, you're looking it through the frame of what's been released after it.

I give up! How do you guys get the accent mark over the capital E in Egoiste?

Platinum Egoiste never grabbed me. Boss Elements is very similar in style to it, but it did grab me.
    The original Egoiste isn't one of my favourites, but I like it for something a bit different - some people classify it as oriental, but I can't see why that is the case, others have it as woody-spicy. Such in-between scents are always interesting.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I give up! How do you guys get the accent mark over the capital E in Egoiste?

Platinum Egoiste never grabbed me. Boss Elements is very similar in style to it, but it did grab me.
    The original Egoiste isn't one of my favourites, but I like it for something a bit different - some people classify it as oriental, but I can't see why that is the case, others have it as woody-spicy. Such in-between scents are always interesting.Renato
    Ha! Just do what I do... copy and paste it from someone else who figured out how to do the accent. For all we know, only one person ever figured it out and everyone else has been copying and pasting it ever since!

I like Boss Elements a lot too, although I don't see much similarity with it and Platinum goste. Just ordered a new bottle in fact from FragranceNow.com. That site has a decent selection and some very good prices too... I also picked up a 2.5oz Creed Baie De Genivre for $65.

-R

I happen to love both egoistes, the original and the platinum and about the platinum egoiste (since we're talking about this) , it's one of the few "fresh fourgeres" that i really like , even thought it's not particulary light and stays on for ages on my skin. I think of platinum more as a woody floral musc. It's very sexy and the best part of it IMHO is the drydown. Very smooth and sexual, it's both classic and provocative to me. I have never mistaken platinum for any other frag it's very unique.

I used to really like Platinum. It was my signature scent about a year ago. But now I find that it's too woody and metallic for me. It also smells too "perfumey" and it's easy to become the "cologne guy" if you overspray. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I lean more towards Oriental scents nowadays.

Thanks for the great responses; this thread has become exactly what I'd hoped!

I thought I'd try maligning a fragrance on the board, which I hadn't really done before, and that was fun; but my deeper curiosity was about why these 2 fragrances shared a name and why Platinum is more available than the original. The historical perspective from Serpent and iMaverick sheds some light there.

I figured market forces were behind the disparity, but frankly if I had to decide whether goste or Platinum is more similar to Eternity, I think the original comes closer; so that explanation doesn't make immediate sense to me. Perhaps this is simply because I think Eternity and goste smell good and Platinum goste doesn't. (Incidentally I don't own or wear Eternity anymore mainly because to me it feels so trapped in the early 1990s.)

I don't find Eternity, goste, or Platinum goste to be "light" or "sporty", although I detect similarities between Platinum goste and Polo Sport, both of which I dislike. I do think of myself as young and active---I'm a graduate student and I bicycle almost everywhere I go---but I want to believe this has nothing to do with the fact I happen to dislike many of the fragrances with the word "sport" in their names. (On that note, I don't mind Adidas Moves, which I guess is sport-oriented without the moniker.)

I agree I tend to like warm sweet scents, though not exclusively. Anyway I love goste.