Code of Conduct

Default What the heck???

I hate to start another Creed thread after all the commotion over the past few weeks but I'll make this short ...

I just received a 1 oz. bottle of Creed Original Santal (off ebay) and the back of the box is stamped 2002 !?? I thought this just came out in 2005, no?

Any ideas ?

Default Re: What the heck???

I think it was decided that the number has nothing to do with the year of production. Most likely it is a variant of lot number, batch number, factory code, distributor code, creed family members atm passcodes, phase of moon etc. etc.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I remember seeing a post saying it WAS the year, and that according to Olivier Creed his perfumes, like wine, take years to reach an optimum, and that currently the best year is 2002.
    So, it may not all be for the worse. Unless, of course, Mr Creed is simply eager to clean up his 2002 inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    I remember seeing a post saying it WAS the year, and that according to Olivier Creed his perfumes, like wine, take years to reach an optimum, and that currently the best year is 2002.
    So, it may not all be for the worse. Unless, of course, *Mr Creed is simply eager to clean up his 2002 inventory.

Yea, that would make 2002 OPTIMUM according to that thread.

From what I gathered; if the box isn't stamped at all, it left the house the same year.
    If it hasn't left the house withing the current year, they will stamp that year on the box the following year; to keep track of what needs to leave the House first.

I don't know if Creed is the only House that does this.

All of mine say 2004.

Just keep it in a cool, dark place and you'll be fine.

I have a 28 year old 'Old Spice" bottle that smells heavenly.

Some colognes don't age well at all, and some do.

The point Ziffy is making is that Original Santal just came out in 2005 and still isn't in the US stores yet. There is no way 2002 could be the year it was made unless it was sitting around for 3 years before they released it. I had the same question with my Original Vetiver purchased from perfumebay which also had 2002 on the box but was released in 2004. I still don't have a proper explanation.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I'm not really sold on the "code" issue (as opposed to it being a date) because if you're going to use a code, why make it so easy to get it confused with the current decade we're in?? Why not make the code a 4000, 5000, 8000, etc. series instead of the low 2000s?

I don't know ... it's curious ...

Serpent

Sorry, but you Creed people obsess way too much about what's stamped on the back of your cologne boxes. *Any fragrance that has me rife with paranoia that it's fake or about to turn rancid any second or I'll never find another bottle of it that smells exactly the same - never mind having to pay a small fortune for it, even at online discounters - who needs it? *Smelling good should never be such an ordeal.

All this trouble for a little bit of Creed's alleged prestige. *Come on, tell me you go through all this just for the juice. *I dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Sorry, but you Creed people obsess way too much about what's stamped on the back of your cologne boxes. Any fragrance that has me rife with paranoia that it's fake or about to turn rancid any second or I'll never find another bottle of it that smells exactly the same - never mind having to pay a small fortune for it, even at online discounters - who needs it? Smelling good should never be such an ordeal.

All this trouble for a little bit of Creed's alleged prestige. Come on, tell me you go through all this just for the juice. I dare you.
    I would venture to say that if there were a code stamped on the box of your favorite house's fragrance, your curiousity would be piqued.

But, as such, I think that most of this "paranoia" has been propagated by this and other boards as well as it's seeming propensity toward counterfeit production. Why is it that this house causes the most disturbance and controversy? I'd love to figure this out. On a lighter note, WTF makes GIT the BN sweetheart? I just don't get it. I'd love to see L'Artisan get the same airplay on BN and Ebay.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    I would venture to say that if there were a code stamped on the box of your favorite house's fragrance, your curiousity would be piqued.
    Not really. *I mean, there are codes on loads of things, from beer to medicine. *I've just found random numbers - like a code - printed on my bottles of Goutal Vétiver and Égoïste. *They don't concern me in the least. *The juice is fine. *I'm happy. *I will sleep well tonight.

But, as such, I think that most of this "paranoia" has been propagated by this and other boards as well as it's seeming propensity toward counterfeit production. *Why is it that this house causes the most disturbance and controversy?
    Because Creed is about more than the juice. *It's about the prestige. *It's about having something expensive. *And one wants to know one has the right something prestigious and valuable. *If there could be an appraiser to verify a bottle was real and how old it was - like one can do for a gem to determine if it is real and how clear and what color it is - I'm sure some of our members would be shunting off a small vial for testing. *"Hallelujah! *It is real!"

I'd love to figure this out. *On a lighter note, WTF makes GIT the BN sweetheart? *I just don't get it. *I'd love to see L'Artisan get the same airplay on BN and Ebay.
    You've heard of the phenomenon of the Golden Calf, right? *I haven't been paying attention lately, but perhaps Green Irish Tweed was a recent Golden Calf. *I know it was one before. *So were Millésime Impérial, Mugler Cologne, Rive Gauche pour Homme, Bulgari Black, M7, and Piper Nigrum, among others. *One day, out of the blue, the board just gets consumed with a fever for a fragrance. *It will be all-consuming and go on for weeks. *The fragrance can do no wrong. *It will be the greatest thing ever. *And then another fragrance will be held up for idolization. *Green Irish Tweed has been held up so much, it deserves a place in the Golden Calf Hall of Fame, though I think the greatest single fervor was for Millésime Impérial.

[quote author=Octothorpe link=1140044366/0#7 date=1140159474]I would venture to say that if there were a code stamped on the box of your favorite house's fragrance, your curiousity would be piqued.
    Not really. I mean, there are codes on loads of things, from beer to medicine. I've just found random numbers - like a code - printed on my bottles of Goutal Vétiver and Égoïste. They don't concern me in the least. The juice is fine. I'm happy. I will sleep well tonight.
    [/quote]

I'm not as concerned about the code, but there are issues with it. On my box of OV, there's EMB77477A written in silver (looks to be a company code?) and on the bottom in ink is printed PGS K1P05 (matches the number on the bottom of the bottle so it's probably a lot number). Then in it's own silver box (same as first code) there is a stamped 2005. I take one look and go that's the year it was produced. Of course, this brings up Ziffy's question of what is up with his box. I haven't looked carefully at a lot of Creed boxes, but I suspect it's supposed to be the year. My theory is that the flat plain white box is embossed with the Creed logo then the year is stamped into it. (note the embossed Creed symbol behind the boxes is not there) ***(Note below) These flat boxes are then have proper color ink put on then a label slapped on then the box is assembled. Box and bottle are stamped together with lot number, put together and shipped off.

*** At this point a box of flat boxes gets unused and misplaced. When the box maker needs to make boxes does he verify the date is correct? Probably not, he's a factory worker making thousands and thousands of boxes a year for low wage. Even if he brought it up, a pallet of flat boxes costs money, there's a good chance the plant manager would use it anyway.

All this trouble for a little bit of Creed's alleged prestige. *Come on, tell me you go through all this just for the juice. *I dare you.
    OK Serpent buddy ... I accept your dare

It's not trouble at all ... it's curiousity. *After all, we're in a fragrance discussion forum. *Honestly, I don't care WHAT is stamped on the back or what year it was produced. *My beloved DK Men was discontunued some time back ... yet ... I still pay INSANE amounts of money when I can find a bottle on ebay or somewhere else. *Some may be 10 years old ... who cares? *I love the juice. *

Bottom line ... I don't care if I pay $5 or $500 for a frag ... when I see (what looks like to me) a year stamped on the back, it's going to pique my curiousity.

And hey Serp ... like so many have said before ... if we all liked the same frags and knew all the answers to these questions, this would be a REALLY boring forum. [smiley=grin.gif]

Sorry, but you Creed people obsess way too much about what's stamped on the back of your cologne boxes. *Any fragrance that has me rife with paranoia that it's fake or about to turn rancid any second or I'll never find another bottle of it that smells exactly the same - never mind having to pay a small fortune for it, even at online discounters - who needs it? *Smelling good should never be such an ordeal.

This is exactly why I'd never buy a creed from a fleabayer or a gray markte website of even a scheisty, stock rotating department store which has no clue what it should smell like. I buy stuff this volatile only from sources whom I know to be knowledgeable and good-willful (if that's a word): Basenotes Decant Dealers.

Serpent

I thought we were talking about Scott Stapp is all... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    I'd love to see L'Artisan get the same airplay on BN and Ebay.
    hehe yeah imo, l'artisan is the more interesting house overall. actually, maybe i wouldn't like to see it get the same airplay...
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]