Code of Conduct

Default Never received a compliment!

I've been a big fan of colognes for about a year now, and have gone through many samples of just about every flavor of scent out there. I'm so wishy-washy anymore about what frag I want to wear for different situations because I've never received a compliment! If I'm buying something and someone is with me, then they might comment that they like it, but I've never once received one just out in the open. Take a look at my wardrobe guys & tell me what you'd recommend for different situations. Right now I usually carry Blue Label or True Star around for school, save Magnetism for night, & then D&G or Code for more formal situations. Some frags I do like personally, but I don't have any impression on whether other people like them - or if they can even smell them. Of my collection, how would you arrange the different frags for different situations? I'm talking girls, school, night, formal, etc. Thanks!

Default Re: Never received a compliment!

A little advice here... People are much more likely to respond to the man wearing the cologne than to the cologne itself. The scent is part of the package, but it is NOT what will make someone walk up to you and compliment you. The first step is to wear things that you like, regardless of the situation. To hell with what other people think about you. Confidence is much more attractive than any cologne. The irony is that it's the people that don't need the respect of others that get the most. If you want to be attractive to "girls", be a man and rely on yourself to get the compliments rather than trying to fish for them from other people. Trying to chase other people's preferences is a fool's game, satisfy yourself and people will come to you regardless of what cologne you wear.

My .02

Isaac

Aw, poor baby.

Well, I, for one, think you smell really nice. I just hope the authorities don't take this the wrong way and consider this hitting on a minor. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

How much do you spray on?

If it's less than 6 squirts, I wouldn't expect most scents to make much of an impact on anybody else, except for some females with super smelling ability.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato

If it's less than *6 squirts, I wouldn't expect most scents to make much of an impact on anybody else, except for some females with super smelling ability.
    Renato
    I usually don't go that high...depending on the strength, I'll spray one-three on neck/chest area, one that I will spray close and walk through (hope that's not too dumb lol), and if I need an added boost, I'll do one to the back of my neck. Again, I'm not sure exactly how much sillage this generates.

I want to say to Isaac that you made a great response. I agree with you 100% and I never expect a fragrance to supplement qualities of character, but I do find myself questioning my choices when the only remarks I get are maybe an occasional sneeze. I'm not afraid to go up to someone and tell them that they smell good or inquire about what they're wearing, so perhaps I have a misconception that I'll receive such a return from others. I guess it's true that we're all our best critics.

Well said Isaac.

Maisonstinky
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Perhaps you aren't wearing the right frags to generate those compliments. *Throw in Paco XS, Allure Sport, GIT or Chrome as your daily frag and you will generate some feedback. *I also think you need to take another spritz - two or three inside of shirt on your chest, two to the neck, each wrist and one to the back of neck. *Good luck! *Leave the running into your cologne for the heavy artillary like A*men. *

Peace ~ Markymark

Serpent

Well, I'd say the stuff you have is less prone to get compliments these days; a lot of them have been copied in soaps, body sprays, shower gels, shave gels, deodorants, etc., to where folks don't know if you're wearing cologne or just well-groomed. Moreover, it's often just not polite to comment on someone's fragrance unless you're very close friends or you have romantic intentions. It's just a very intimate thing to do. Of what you have, I'd say, for romantic situations, maybe switch to the Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. Of what you own, it is the most distinct. That's something lacking in your wardrobe. They're all very pleasant, but they don't have a lot of personality.

I'm going to do what I do best and be the board contrarian. I mean, we don't just wear things for ourselves. That's delusional. We care what others think. Clearly you do, John. That's the whole underlying premise of this thread. The problem is that you're not getting noticed in your scents. Perhaps, even though you like the scents, the scents don't like you. I used to want to wear the fresh clean scents back in my callow youth, and it was a disaster. But when I tested certain scents - ones I didn't even tend to enjoy myself - I'd find the compliments rolling in. I wear Lolita Lempicka au Masculin and Rochas Lui as often as I do because of the compliments they win me. I never imagined myself wearing a lot of the stuff I wear now, but by testing a wide variety - and finding what did get compliments - I learned what worked for me. Be open-minded. You may end up finding out that woody orientals are your perfect match.

Right now, what I'd say is, focus on trying to find something different, something that not every other guy in high school is in. Set yourself apart and take a chance with your scents. I bet you'll find people speaking up more.

What Isaac said.

I havent received many outright compliments either, on a few occasions people have hovered or bumped into me more than usual. Compliments are nice to hear of course, but its best to wear a cologne because you like it.

Kouros is always a great bet for compliments. *It's loved or hated here, but I can honestly say it's my number one compliment getter. One of the best sellers in Europe. *
    Peace ~ Markymark

John,

Here's a different angle. Regardless of the fragrance.

To me, it sounds like if someone complimented you on your cologne, it would make you feel good/validated.

Why?

I have found that many women will not compliment an eligible guy until they have decided they are interested in him.
    Many are paranoid that a simple compliment will give the guy the wrong impression.
    But once you've swallowed your pride, climbed the mountain, humiliated yourself, spent all your money, shaved areas nature intended to be hairy, sold your soul, sucked up to her friends, danced like a dickhead etc etc... and you finally win the heart of your princess, you may find at your first close encounter that she says something like "you always smell sooo good".

Both camps' arguments have merit.
    I think it is important to wear something you like and that is generally popular.
    There are so many fragrances out there that this really isn't that hard to do.
    If there is an offensive fragrance that you really like, just reserve it for enjoying around the house or when you are unlikely to bump into other people.

I think it's also important not to fall into the cost = quality trap.
    One of my favourite fragrances - the only one which has generated a compliment recently - is Azzaro PH.
    Ironically, it is also an inexpensive fragrance.

Good luck and keep spritzing.

Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7
    A little advice here... People are much more likely to respond to the man wearing the cologne than to the cologne itself. The scent is part of the package, but it is NOT what will make someone walk up to you and compliment you. The first step is to wear things that you like, regardless of the situation. To hell with what other people think about you. Confidence is much more attractive than any cologne. The irony is that it's the people that don't need the respect of others that get the most. If you want to be attractive to "girls", be a man and rely on yourself to get the compliments rather than trying to fish for them from other people. Trying to chase other people's preferences is a fool's game, satisfy yourself and people will come to you regardless of what cologne you wear.

My .02

Isaac
    Well said Isaac!

Musky, you have a good collection. Take Isaac's recommendation to heart!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Keep giving your Blue Label a try... you're bound to get a compliment from someone. It's one of my more compliment receiving scents. Of course, it's best features are more noticeable in the Summer months.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

I have to agree with Serpent. While it is most important that you like the scent you are wearing, if you want your scent noticed then it has to be noticable. Your drobe has some nice stuff, but its mostly of the quiet, unobtrusively nice variety. Your D&G PH and Magnetism are your strong points for being noticed simply becasue they are going to project the most from what you have. They both have a rather distinctive character. Cool Water and Tommy are pretty decent too. They have become fragrance cliche's for a reason.

The clean and fresh scents are generally not attention getters because - well - they smell clean and fresh. You are supposed to smell clean and fresh, right? Even if someone noticed that you smell especially clean and fresh, they may not be inspired to comment on it. However if you give them something a little warmer, something that smells interesting instead of neutral, then they have something to go on. They want another whiff of that intriguing aroma. Nobody really goes looking for another whiff of cleanliness.

Basically, no one can comment on something they can't smell and no one will comment on something they aren't sure is a fragrance. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't like fresh scent, I certainly like plenty of them. But they simply don't get noticed like a good oriental.

Are you using a deodorant soap??? like coast, or irish spring? That could kill a scent.

Don't worry about not getting compliments. Just because people don't comment on how you smell doesn't mean they don't like your scent. Most people wouldn't even approach a stranger to say "hello", let alone compliment his/her fragrance. It's just awkward for them.

On a side note, when women inquire about my scent, it's only because they plan to buy it for their boyfriends/husbands. I never get sexual implications when they tell me that I smell good.
    >

I just noticed that you have Surface by Aramis... this is another one that should get you some nice compliments. Try 5 or 6 sprays.

Overall, you have some nice frags... I wouldnt worry about the lack of compliments... if people arent saying anything, they're probably thinking it. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by mason
    John,

Here's a different angle. *Regardless of the fragrance.

To me, it sounds like if someone complimented you on your cologne, it would *make you feel good/validated.

Why?
    I think this thread may be becoming more than I ever intended it to be. *Ultimately I love fragrances for myself, but I hope that doesn't mean that only people on this board or I should be the ones to enjoy them. I use my best judgement when I buy colognes - an ultimate extension of my best judgement, and in my opinon, I'm trying to share a good thing with someone. *If I had just written a book, and nobody ever read it, yeah I could say the same thing....but wouldn't you want someone to read it? *My love for fragrances has little to do with other people, and I do believe I'd have the same growing collection even if other people didn't exist (except the ones that make them...I need them). *I am not looking to feel good or validated, but more like reassured. *My question never was about how to get compliments, but rather I simply asked if the consensus was good that I am choosing the right colognes for the right times. *No more or less.

Why So Serious?

You know, sometimes we expect too much. *The truth is even if there is one fragrance that really suits you and really makes you stand out, the chances are very low someone would compliment you on it. *I think that fragrance is such a minor thing to look at. *It reminds me of the movie Shawshank Redemption. *On the night of Andy's escape, he cleaned a pair of his prison warden's shoes, and then he went back to his cell wearing them, no one has noticed that he just stole the warden's shoes. *Then Morgan Freeman's character narrates "just how often do you look at a man's shoes?". *So the fact is there are much more bigger things we tend to look at or to look for, sometimes people dont pay attention to the smaller things in life. *A fragrance is not as visual as the way we look or the clothes we wear, it might be something that is unimportant for people to comment on, and in most cases they could really care less about it no matter how good you smell. *

Tell you the truth, i myself have probably only got a compliment from a stranger once. *The people who often compliments me on my fragrance are friends and colleagues, that's of course they know me and we can joke around, it's just so much easier. *This of course raises another issues, strangers just dont want you to take it the wrong way, but i'm pretty sure in most cases people can really care less about it, but on the back of their heads they might be saying "hey this guy smells quite good!".
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

If its Compliments your after then you need the GIT, it never fails for me.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Mad_Hatter

[quote author=Renato link=1139799239/0#3 date=1139799988
    If it's less than *6 squirts, I wouldn't expect most scents to make much of an impact on anybody else, except for some females with super smelling ability.
    [/quote]

OMG! What sort of impact are you aspiring to? Sudden death from shock?

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    I have found that many women will not compliment an eligible guy until they have decided they are interested in him.
    Many are paranoid that a simple compliment will give the guy the wrong impression.

Indeed, lets not forget here guys, most comely young ladies spend at least half their time fending off sleazy come-ons from inelegible bachelors. Id love to be in a girls head at a club sometime, just to geta taste of the high-level calculations she has to be making always ("ok, cant go near tha end of the bar, or garlci breath will hit on me again... ugh, the lazy-eye dude is looking at me again..."etc etc). So to come out an compliemt a starnger in this intimate "generally-understood-as-an-indication-she-is-paying-close-attention-to-your-body" way is simply counter productive for them.

If you wanna know, ask. its a very unskeezy thing to do, because you are consulting them for thier input. girls like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
    [quote author=Renato link=1139799239/0#3 date=1139799988
    If it's less than 6 squirts, I wouldn't expect most scents to make much of an impact on anybody else, except for some females with super smelling ability.
    OMG! What sort of impact are you aspiring to? Sudden death from shock?[/quote]

If you use 6 squirts of your Joop you deserve to be sued for negligence...
    Whereas 6 squirts of A*Men deserves jail time in a dark cell with a lifer called Bubba...

Renato
    I usually don't go that high...depending on the strength, I'll spray one-three on neck/chest area, one that I will spray close and walk through (hope that's not too dumb lol), and if I need an added boost, I'll do one to the back of my neck. *Again, I'm not sure exactly how much sillage this generates. *
    Egads! *i am with the second quote. *i would never go higher than 3-4 spritzes total.however, it depends somewhat on the juice. when wearing one of montale's aouds, 2-3 is plenty. *same for most SL frags, two will usually do it.

in my opinion, a guy is not as likely as a girl to get compliments on their fragrance so it may not mean anything that you haven't had much feedback. people might just feel strange or even rude complimenting you on something so personal.

girls, particulalry younger ones, might feel awkward, shy or too forward to comment. *guys may not want to comment, particulalry younger ones, *because they might think it is apt to be misinterpreted along the same lines as Fro-Fro is "afraid" of. (cute Fro-Fro) i wouldn't worry about it. to be sure that you are smellin fine, why not pick a good friend, preferably female, and just ask her which frags of yours she's liked? or ask her to give you rolling feedback on each day you wear something different.

i tend to agree that you might want to expand your wardrobe. i prefer creed himalaya *& bois de portugal to GIT, especially for someone young. *but*do yourself a favor and get one of them. i'm a huge fan of carthusia both medeterraneo and uomo. boucheron jaipur homme fraiche is another to consider.

John, I agree completely about Words post pertaining Aramis Surface. I went to lunch this past Saturday, after about 5 sprays of Surface, and received 3 compliments from 3 different ladies about my fragrance. Two of them wanted me to write the name of the frag on a napkin for them. They said they had never smelled anything quite like it and that they really loved the scent. These were the most compliments I have ever received and they all came at one time. The compliments will come when you least expect them. As a side note, Surface is not my favorite frag, but it sure is liked by many others out there. Hard as hell to find and even on e-bay, you have to pay a premium. Would you like to sell me some of yours???

Jim

Mad_Hatter

On the whole, I think it strange that anyone wants to be complimented on his frag and not on himself.
    On 2nd thoughts: Or is BN fundamentally about people who having else to be proud of than their FRAGS?

OMG, what am I doing here? (stress on "I"!)

Mad_Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
    On the whole, I think it strange that anyone wants to be complimented on his frag and not on himself.
    On 2nd thoughts: Or is BN fundamentally about people who having else to be proud of than their FRAGS?

Sorry, guys, misprint:

On 2nd thoughts: Or is BN fundamentally about people who have nothing else to be proud of than their FRAGS?

I rarely receive a compliment on my fragrances outside of already existing romantic relationships.

I wear fragrances both for my own enjoyment and to smell pleasant and attractive to others, but don't necessarily expect random compliments.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan
    John, I agree completely about Words post pertaining Aramis Surface. *I went to lunch this past Saturday, after about 5 sprays of Surface, and received 3 compliments from 3 different ladies about my fragrance. * Two of them wanted me to write the name of the frag on a napkin for them. *They said they had never smelled anything quite like it and that they really loved the scent. *These were the most compliments I have ever received and they all came at one time. *The compliments will come when you least expect them. *As a side note, Surface is not my favorite frag, but it sure is liked by many others out there. *Hard as hell to find and even on e-bay, you have to pay a premium. *Would you like to sell me some of yours???

Jim
    Hmm...the last time I wore Surface was the time I wrote the thread,"I made my co-worker sick". *I had only used one shot to the chest, but it was too much. *A girl I work with actually told me it was making her sick (and to be honest it was making ME a little sick) *Other girls disliked it as well. *I know it's a light type of scent, but it is very strong and very tenacious. *Good for you, Jim, getting compliments on Surface, but when I think about it, everytime I ever wore it, I think other people were annoyed by it. *I'm going to hang onto my bottle since I don't like to get rid of stuff once I have it, but I doubt I'll be wearing it on any important occasions.

I agree with what Serpent said, and I think Musky Monkey made a very good point. *Women usually will not compliment a man unless they A.) are interested in him or B.) Want to buy a bottle of the scent for their boyfriend. *

And even if a girl likes you, she still may not say anything about your scent, especially if its a mainstream fresh (boring) scent. *

It's frustrating when you don't get compliments...sometimes I take that as a sign to hit the gym for a couple of weeks and maybe get a haircut. *When I look my best, I find the compliments come in a little more briskly.

But I will advise you to try some fragrances that are outside of the realm of what you find at the mall. *Also I would resist the temptation to spray more heavily. *If someone doesn't like your scent at one of two sprays, then five or six sprays won't help you win more friends.

And one final point I would like to add. *Make sure that whatever scent you are wearing goes with what clothes you are wearing. *Sometimes you can take the most refined formal scent, and when you match it with jeans and a T-shirt, it just doesn't work. *And vice-versa. *It has to be a part of the total package. *You can't let a cologne outclass you when you are just kickin' it.

When you are sitting there looking at your drobe, wondering what to wear, there are many factors: *The shape and color of the bottle, the name, the house, *the year of release, where you bought it etc. *But when you spray it on, all that disappears and its just the juice and you. *None of that other stuff is a factor to people on the street- either the scent itself complements you or it doesn't.

I don't get compliments as often as I'd like, but there's nothing I can do about it. *I know I have a hard time telling strangers that I like their fragrance. *People are more likely to say "nice shirt" or "cool jacket" than they are to compliment your scent. *Plus its a fact, there are people out there who dislike all fragrances and look upon those who wear them as "stupid". *Its probably because they equate all "cologne" with Aqua di Gio and Drakkar. *Don't give up, but don't get desperate either.

But do try some edgier stuff...

It is all about the guy. Girls compliment guys if they think they are hot. It has nothing to do with the fragrance. Except sometimes.

Surprisingly enough, a scent that I used to wear (Candie's for Men *) has probably got double the amount of compliments of anything else I've ever had. *A fun scent, with a nice touch of Watermelon. *

Quote Originally Posted by AtinayBoy
    It is all about the guy. Girls compliment guys if they think they are hot. It has nothing to do with the fragrance. Except sometimes.
    Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    [quote author=AtinayBoy link=1139799239/30#30 date=1139877619]It is all about the guy. Girls compliment guys if they think they are hot. It has nothing to do with the fragrance. Except sometimes.
    Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this statement.[/quote]

I tend to compliment anyone when I feel they smell good to me, no matter how they look to me. I might be a bit more cautious if it is a guy though, especially if it is not one I know. I bet all of us could become a bit better att giving other people compliments, and I really dont think you should expect any if you don't give some yourself ;D

Beau Brummel said that 'if a person turns to observe your dress, you are not well-dressed'. It sounds perverse, but it is true! The same goes for fragrance, IMO. It is part of the overall impression that you make when you enter a room. It is that overall impression that is important and lasting.

But we still want compliments ;D Lots of good advice here on how to get them. The only time I ever get any comment/compliment is when I wear Green Irish Tweed (as has been proposed above).

Trot

I received two unsolicited compliments today regarding my fragrance...the first in ages. *First thing this morning I walk in and one of the ladies tells me I always smell so good. *And a little while later another tells me she really likes whatever fragrance I'm wearing. *Too bad they're both at least 20 years my senior, but still, I'm not complaining. *And the fragrance...

Dior Homme...which I applied a little more liberally this morning given that in the past I've found it to fade quickly on me. *But a couple extra squirts really did the trick I guess. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    there are people out there who dislike all fragrances and look upon those who wear them as "stupid". Its probably because they equate all "cologne" with Aqua di Gio and Drakkar.
    There may be folks who dislike fragrances because of associations with a few ubiquitous brands, but there are also those who fundamentally reject the notion of products marketed to make people smell a certain way. These philosophically anti-fragrants probably hear "eau de toilette" and think "bourgeoisie." They might reasonably argue that spending $50 on a small bottle of smelly liquid is absurd or even immoral considering how many people alive today cannot buy food or clean water.

I am sympathetic with these concerns, and I acknowledge the conflict between some of my own beliefs and behavior in this regard.

(I also acknowledge this post is flagrantly off topic!)
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

One of my favourite fragrances - the only one which has generated a compliment recently - is Azzaro PH.
    Ironically, it is also an inexpensive fragrance.
    For those looking for lots of compliments, here is a 400 ml bottle of Azzaro PH:

http://www.parfum1.com/perfume.asp?t...item=MAZZ10892
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I dont think your choices of colognes are very compliment worthy and I am not trying/meaning to be rude by saying that. While you ones you listed smell okay, they smell very "cologneish". They arent particularly offensive or nasty, just have a "cologney" vibe to them. Try wearing something like A*men, Kouros, or IQUITOS ;D. Or, dare is say, maybe even a scent marketed to women. Wear something thats not so common or something people would not be expecting you to smell like.
    Awesomeguy

I agree with the general thought that what you have just isnt different enough (D&G ph would have been but with recent popularity, it isnt so hard to find now). What worked/works the best for me in high school is Versace Dreamer. Heady, abnormal and still nice. Ive never had a girl say she doesnt like it. And it also generated my first cologne compliment when a girl in my chemistry lab group stopped writing a problem on the board because she caught a whiff of Dreamer and had to ask who smelled good. ;D

I complement myself. Damm i smell good today! ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

In addition to some very good advice already given;

Don't go by so much as Vocal Affirmation, but rather; how long they tend to linger around you.

I've noticed customers tend to want to see more merchandise in my store when I'm spiced up with something classy.

I've also noticed, that if too strong; they tend to back off, depending on how sensitive they are to that particular fragrance.

Body Language never lies.

I'm in the same boat. I like compliments on cologne. I rarely get them. My last one was in a Coffee Shop from the gal behind the counter. I was wearing Woodland from Bath & Body.
    I lke the Spontanious ones you don't expect. Luckly, I have a bottle of Kouros. So I'll try that out.

Hey man. Great thread...i asked a very similar question and i got in trouble with the community. I think this is a very valid question...i would reccomend kiehls musk, John Varvatos, Lorenzo villoresi musk or Gucci Pour Homme II

My most recent compliment was on Vetiver Extraordinaire, the morning after applying it!

The night before, lost in a drunken stupor; two new female acquaintances, one Parisian flat; an impending menage-a-trois, a demand to make a decision on the spot; the growing tension, the ensuing argument between them; the choice already made for me, the guilt of allowing the other one to walk out; the early hours of the pitch black morning, the carnal pleasures of the flesh; the early morning escape in the pouring rain, the compliment before my swift departure...

Ahhh... I've got to return to Paris pretty soon - I love that city!

GIT or MI for the win, 4 compliments in one day with GIT, could have been my good lucks who knows, hahahahaha

Depends on how demonstrative people tend to be where you live, too -- in Miami I regularly get complimented on my fragrances. Then again, it seems like nearly everyone here wears them, very often to vulgar extremes -- I've had students who seem to take a bath in Angel in the middle of the summer and literally suck the oxygen out of a room and gag everyone within a 50 foot radius...

On the other hand, when I travel to more "uptight lattitudes", instead of compliments I sometimes get comments about how I sure "went heavy with the cologne today"(!) Maybe that's just a sort of culturally different, backhanded way of giving fragrance props... although I'm not so sure

-R

I normally get comments from my gf, but otherwise, none.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 7th December 2007 at 07:12 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)