Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Never received a compliment!

It is all about the guy. Girls compliment guys if they think they are hot. It has nothing to do with the fragrance. Except sometimes.

Surprisingly enough, a scent that I used to wear (Candie's for Men *) has probably got double the amount of compliments of anything else I've ever had. *A fun scent, with a nice touch of Watermelon. *
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by AtinayBoy
    It is all about the guy. Girls compliment guys if they think they are hot. It has nothing to do with the fragrance. Except sometimes.
    Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    [quote author=AtinayBoy link=1139799239/30#30 date=1139877619]It is all about the guy. Girls compliment guys if they think they are hot. It has nothing to do with the fragrance. Except sometimes.
    Sadly, there's a lot of truth to this statement.[/quote]

I tend to compliment anyone when I feel they smell good to me, no matter how they look to me. I might be a bit more cautious if it is a guy though, especially if it is not one I know. I bet all of us could become a bit better att giving other people compliments, and I really dont think you should expect any if you don't give some yourself ;D

Beau Brummel said that 'if a person turns to observe your dress, you are not well-dressed'. It sounds perverse, but it is true! The same goes for fragrance, IMO. It is part of the overall impression that you make when you enter a room. It is that overall impression that is important and lasting.

But we still want compliments ;D Lots of good advice here on how to get them. The only time I ever get any comment/compliment is when I wear Green Irish Tweed (as has been proposed above).

Trot

I received two unsolicited compliments today regarding my fragrance...the first in ages. *First thing this morning I walk in and one of the ladies tells me I always smell so good. *And a little while later another tells me she really likes whatever fragrance I'm wearing. *Too bad they're both at least 20 years my senior, but still, I'm not complaining. *And the fragrance...

Dior Homme...which I applied a little more liberally this morning given that in the past I've found it to fade quickly on me. *But a couple extra squirts really did the trick I guess. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    there are people out there who dislike all fragrances and look upon those who wear them as "stupid". Its probably because they equate all "cologne" with Aqua di Gio and Drakkar.
    There may be folks who dislike fragrances because of associations with a few ubiquitous brands, but there are also those who fundamentally reject the notion of products marketed to make people smell a certain way. These philosophically anti-fragrants probably hear "eau de toilette" and think "bourgeoisie." They might reasonably argue that spending $50 on a small bottle of smelly liquid is absurd or even immoral considering how many people alive today cannot buy food or clean water.

I am sympathetic with these concerns, and I acknowledge the conflict between some of my own beliefs and behavior in this regard.

(I also acknowledge this post is flagrantly off topic!)
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

One of my favourite fragrances - the only one which has generated a compliment recently - is Azzaro PH.
    Ironically, it is also an inexpensive fragrance.
    For those looking for lots of compliments, here is a 400 ml bottle of Azzaro PH:

http://www.parfum1.com/perfume.asp?t...item=MAZZ10892
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I dont think your choices of colognes are very compliment worthy and I am not trying/meaning to be rude by saying that. While you ones you listed smell okay, they smell very "cologneish". They arent particularly offensive or nasty, just have a "cologney" vibe to them. Try wearing something like A*men, Kouros, or IQUITOS ;D. Or, dare is say, maybe even a scent marketed to women. Wear something thats not so common or something people would not be expecting you to smell like.
    Awesomeguy

I agree with the general thought that what you have just isnt different enough (D&G ph would have been but with recent popularity, it isnt so hard to find now). What worked/works the best for me in high school is Versace Dreamer. Heady, abnormal and still nice. Ive never had a girl say she doesnt like it. And it also generated my first cologne compliment when a girl in my chemistry lab group stopped writing a problem on the board because she caught a whiff of Dreamer and had to ask who smelled good. ;D

I complement myself. Damm i smell good today! ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

In addition to some very good advice already given;

Don't go by so much as Vocal Affirmation, but rather; how long they tend to linger around you.

I've noticed customers tend to want to see more merchandise in my store when I'm spiced up with something classy.

I've also noticed, that if too strong; they tend to back off, depending on how sensitive they are to that particular fragrance.

Body Language never lies.

I'm in the same boat. I like compliments on cologne. I rarely get them. My last one was in a Coffee Shop from the gal behind the counter. I was wearing Woodland from Bath & Body.
    I lke the Spontanious ones you don't expect. Luckly, I have a bottle of Kouros. So I'll try that out.

Hey man. Great thread...i asked a very similar question and i got in trouble with the community. I think this is a very valid question...i would reccomend kiehls musk, John Varvatos, Lorenzo villoresi musk or Gucci Pour Homme II

My most recent compliment was on Vetiver Extraordinaire, the morning after applying it!

The night before, lost in a drunken stupor; two new female acquaintances, one Parisian flat; an impending menage-a-trois, a demand to make a decision on the spot; the growing tension, the ensuing argument between them; the choice already made for me, the guilt of allowing the other one to walk out; the early hours of the pitch black morning, the carnal pleasures of the flesh; the early morning escape in the pouring rain, the compliment before my swift departure...

Ahhh... I've got to return to Paris pretty soon - I love that city!

GIT or MI for the win, 4 compliments in one day with GIT, could have been my good lucks who knows, hahahahaha

Depends on how demonstrative people tend to be where you live, too -- in Miami I regularly get complimented on my fragrances. Then again, it seems like nearly everyone here wears them, very often to vulgar extremes -- I've had students who seem to take a bath in Angel in the middle of the summer and literally suck the oxygen out of a room and gag everyone within a 50 foot radius...

On the other hand, when I travel to more "uptight lattitudes", instead of compliments I sometimes get comments about how I sure "went heavy with the cologne today"(!) Maybe that's just a sort of culturally different, backhanded way of giving fragrance props... although I'm not so sure

-R

I normally get comments from my gf, but otherwise, none.

TNMA
    Last edited by thenmarcher; 7th December 2007 at 07:12 AM.
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)