Code of Conduct

Default Most Expensive purchase per ounce...

Related to the recent post about the most expensive purchase, what is your most expensive purchase per ounce. Let me explain, if you buy a sample or a decant you could be spending only $10 but per ounce it could be a huge amount. With that, my most expensive purchase was the amouage sample I got from Parfums raffy. Now I know the man's got to sell etc.. but the cost per ounce worked out as follows ...

I got a 1/3 ml sample vial with amouage dia and it cost me $13.95 with shipping. One ounce is about 29.57 ml. So that works out to be

3*13.95*29.57 = $1237.5 per ounce!!! ;D ;D ;D

To compare solids and liquids GOLD which sells in Troy ounces (approx. 31.10 grams) is only about $546/ounce today. So this amouage sample I got was about twice as expensive as gold (assuming 1 ml dia is about 1.25 grams).

-S
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Default Re: Most Expensive purchase per ounce...

Heheh, absolutely hilarious price per ounce! So you ordered 1/3 ml sample, and nothing else?

I paid $80.00 for a 1/3 oz of 1872 by Clive Christian, so I guess that's $240.00 per oz. (about the same price as Palladium; a cheap Platinum).

A little bit goes a long way, though; which helps; if it didn't last or wasn't potent, I would be dissappointed.

If I didn't like it; well, that would be a waste too; Thank Goodness I love it! !

Decants of Tabac Blond and Poivre extrait:
    $30 postage paid for 1/6 ounce.

That's $180/ounce.

Beats buying full bottles from the Caron boutique, though,
    as I don't see myself using up these 1/6 ounce decants
    anytime soon. The Poivre is very fine, but it's not an everyday
    frag for me.

trumpet_guy

That makes my remaining ounce of Dia worth $546.00, which boils down to 40-50 sprays which boils down to $10 a spray if it were gold??!!! Is there another reason I should wear my best frag more sparingly besides committing suicides when it finally runs out?

Sadly the concentration isn't comparable to the real oils that were used during the Silk Trade days of the Orient. The exquisite thought of Dia lasting days on the skin...

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    Related to the recent post about the most expensive purchase, what is your most expensive purchase per ounce. Let me explain, if you buy a sample or a decant you could be spending only $10 but per ounce it could be a huge amount. With that, my most expensive purchase was the amouage sample I got from Parfums raffy. Now I know the man's got to sell etc.. but the cost per ounce worked out as follows ...

I got a 1/3 ml sample vial with amouage dia and it cost me $13.95 with shipping. One ounce is about 29.57 ml. So that works out to be

3*13.95*29.57 *= $1237.5 per ounce!!! *;D ;D ;D

To compare solids and liquids GOLD which sells in Troy ounces (approx. 31.10 grams) is only about $546/ounce today. So this amouage sample I got was about twice as expensive as gold (assuming 1 ml dia is about 1.25 grams).

-S

Same here. I recently bought a sample of the new Amouage Arcus. Hadn't done the math but i knew it was outrageous. I couldn't get the sample anywhere else. Amouage didn't respond to my request for info. about how to acquire a sample.

Personally, I try to avoid ParfumsRaffy. I had a not-so-good customer service experience with them in the past that really put me off and their stuff is overpriced, IMO. I find the website to have a condescending/arrogant air about it.