Code of Conduct

Default A fragrance for Sports?

Hello,
    I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations for a fragrance that'd be good when engaged in sporting activities (I fence mainly). And it'd be a plus if an accompanying deoderant was sold along side the fragrance. I've seen a lot of products with the word 'sport' in their titles, what's the common theme in all those scents that makes them 'sporty'?

Help would be much appreciated!

Default Re: A fragrance for Sports?

the BEST imo, if you can track it down, Paco Rabanne Sport - just awesome

Lacoste Booster is what I reach for. It's very invigorating and, well, sporty.

"Sport" frags are usually light, fresh, and non-offensive smells that aren't too rich or heavy. *Strong and/or rich notes are usually too cloying and obtrusive to accompany physical activity. *Although frags with "Sport" in the title seem the most obvious buy to fill your request, if you do some sniffin' at a store, I'm sure you'll find something that is more closely geared to you. *Generally speaking, frags that are aquatic, blue, airy, ozonic, or fruity are safe bets for wearing during sports. *There are some cases where I feel that designated "Sport" colognes just don't best suit sports (ex. Allure Sport, Michael Jordan, etc.), so it pays in the end to search for something that characterizes you as an individual. *Lacoste Style in Play seems to be a good choice that isn't offensive, smells invigorating, and mixes well chemically with sweat during exercise, but it is also a young smell you may not like. *Anyone here can make recommendations, but we can't replace your own nose. *

As for the deodorant, your best bet is buying a non-scented one if you plan to wear cologne with it. *Fragrances that have a supporting deodorant usually aren't as good as you'd think, and do not protect very well against sweat. *Unless you find a great deal online, I'd say skip a designer/expensive deodorant, and just go for something unscented at the local store. *

Try Claiborne Sport. A really nice work-out scent that will receive compliments. Good longevity and priced right also.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    Lacoste Booster is what I reach for. *It's very invigorating and, well, sporty.
    Good call. I had a mini of this that I enjoyed. I've always thought about getting another bottle some day. It's very clean and spor-tay!

I like Polo Blue,Higher Dior,and Kouros Fraicheur(though I think it's an okay scent, girls absolutely love it!)
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

I don't think you should wear a frag fencing.
    won't affect the touch

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, esp. John for the explanation. I'll be taking a look at the fragrances mentioned and of course a few more of my own choosing when I wander into town this week. Any other recommendations?

Definately check out Claiborne sport. Also, Zihr is good for this. simple, clean unpretentious citrus on top with somewhat more beefy base than you'd think, to make you smell nice & masculine as you sweat.

Why So Serious?

Good recommendations. I'll add Allure Sport, you'll smell alluring while fencing.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Eau du Sweat.

Fencing! How divine.

As for the deodorant, your best bet is buying a non-scented one if you plan to wear cologne with it. *Fragrances that have a supporting deodorant usually aren't as good as you'd think, and do not protect very well against sweat. *Unless you find a great deal online, I'd say skip a designer/expensive deodorant, and just go for something unscented at the local store.
    Totally agree with John.. Go for a dependable, unscented anit-perspirant rather than a coordinated, scented deodorant.

From the women's scent perspective, John is also correct.

A too-present frag is distracting during sports. Go for lighter, fesher scents -- either green and/or citrus or marine families or fruited notes added to either green, citrus or marine fragrances just as John says. (Some wood-noted base is OK for staying power.)

The geen tea scents, a subheading of the green family of fragrances are another thing to think about. Quite refreshing and mix well with activity.

*Bulgari Thé Vert,

*Carthusia Mediterraneo (like a glass of lemon iced-tea. )

* Hierbes de Ibiza as a fresh, green fragrance. No tea.

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=874

For marines, I will second

*Polo Blue

* but *Carthusia Uomo is *more distinctive.

* The Lacoste scents are also good.

I find Annick Goutal's two citrus scents fantastic on active men, particularly in warmer weather --

*l'Hadrien and

*Eau du Sud
    Eau du Sud is my favorite with a strong lemon verbena note, fuller, rounder *than straight citrus.

Both AG frags do have soap and shower/bath gel.

* Santa Maria Novella's Aqua di Sicilia is quite wonderful and has bath/shower product

This may be heresy here, but I would just go with some cheap old spice or something because

A) It's going to be mixed with sweat anyway
    B) A strong scrent would distract you or others
    C) After strenuous physical activity is the one time it's socially acceptable to stink

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by John
    "Sport" frags are usually light, fresh, and non-offensive smells that aren't too rich or heavy. [...] There are some cases where I feel that designated "Sport" colognes just don't best suit sports (ex. Allure Sport [...]
    I heartily agree. When Chanel released Allure Sport, I wonder whether they intended it for players or spectators.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    the BEST imo, if you can track it down, Paco Rabanne Sport - just awesome
    +1

Dior's Higher Energy fits well the "sports" niche as well.
    EDIT: Lacoste original is also a nice sporty fragrance, elegant one too.
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Hilfiger Athletics and Benetton Sport. Both are Sporty and Citrus.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!