Code of Conduct

Default Please RATE my list...am I missing a TYPE of frag

Hi all,

I hope this post finds all my friends here a Basenotes well. It has been a while since I have started a thread. Guys (and Gals) would you please RATE my collection of fragrances (my FAVORITES) and tell me please....what (if anything) am I missing the Boat on ? Is there a MUST HAVE/KNOCK OUT/ROCK MY WORLD
    fragrance that I should try ? That is to say...is there a TYPE of fragrance (a NOTE) that I am overlooking ? Does this post make any sense ? lol. I hope you understand what I am TRYING to ask. I find that I am NOT too hot on SWEET fragrances. Fragrances such as GUERLAIN HABIT ROUGE, LORENZO VILLORESI MUSK, MAZZOLARI PATCHOULI and SERGE LUTENS FUMERIE TURQUE about as SWEET as I can handle. I guess I am hoping somebody here could also find a PATTERN of my LIKES (and dislikes) and EXPLAIN to me...WHY I like what I like lol.
    There MUST be a COMMON THREAD! Thanks for any help. Oooh...my FAVORITES are as follows :

CREED TABAROME MILLESIME
    SANTA MARIA NOVELLA ACQUA DI CUBA
    SANTA MARIA NOVELLA PATCHOULI
    SANTA MARIA NOVELLA NOSTALIGA
    LORENZO VILLORESI PIPER NIGRUM
    MPG EAU DES ILES
    MPG ROUTE DU VETIVER
    L'ARTISAN DZING
    CREED BOIS DU PORTUGAL
    YSL KOUROS
    GUERLAIN HABIT ROUGE
    DIPTYQUE L'AUTRE
    L'EAU BLEUE D'ISSEY
    McQUEEN KINGDOM
    LORENZO VILLORESI VETIVER
    ETRO MESSE DI MINUIT
    MILLER HARRIS F. TABAC
    MPG PERFUM D'HABIT
    TRUSSARDI UOMO
    BANDIT

BOUCHERON PH
    GEIR
    LORENZO VILLORESI DILMUN
    YSL BODY KOUROS

Thank you for any insight! I think I have sort of lost my way!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: Please RATE my list...am I missing a TYPE of f

Well it's pretty clear from your list that you like a bit of bite in your scents.
    I would suggest you try Loewe Esencia - it's a leathery chypre which you may like.

Similar to your tastes: Jacomo

A contrast: Boucheron Jaipur

Hi guys,

MM, no doubt about it...you are indeed correct! I LOVE fragrances that are
    POWER HOUSES! S-T-R-O-N-G STRONG! I've at least figured out that I LOVE
    TOBACCO, PATCHOULI, VETIVER, COFFEE and...errrr...some LEATHER and...ummmm...I'm not sure what else...Oooh...LEMON and...of course all those
    (so called) STINKY fragrances such as KOUROS, DZING, BANDIT, L'AUTRE, ACQUA DI CUBA, NOSTALIGA, etc. I really need to give JICKY another try! Oooh...I enjoyed the sample of SL MUSCS KOUBLAI KHAN but...I'm not sure about it's lasting power. Sqboy...I often here JACOMO mentioned...I THINK I may have smelled it before but...I don't recall for sure. JAIPUR I have owned and enjoyed but...I don't think I would replace the finished bottle...then again...maybe I would!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Hey Six! (aka, the man who actually doesn't have six cats)--It appears your collection lacks a classy citrus. I would suggest something along the lines of Floris No. 89 or Acqua di Parma's Colonia Assoluta. LV Acqua di Colonia would also do nicely, but it might disappear into your other-worldly black holiness. Czech & Speake No. 88 could fit the bill as well, and have the ladies barking at the moon (well, at least in Ozzy's case).
    The Bark Bites Back.

Well Hel-looooo my friend BARK! So good to hear from you my friend!
    LOL...yes indeed...tis true...I do not own Six Cats...I own SEVEN! YIKES!
    Thanks for you suggestions...I do indeed enjoy a GOOD citrus but...as you so kindly reminded me...I am not called THE BLACK HOLE OF SCENTS without reason! lol

Regards,
    SixCats!

I am not very fond of citrus, but M7 Fresh IS actually a very nice one

I would recommend considering:

Aramis Havana - tobacco and so much more.
    Aramis Tuscany - leathery and herbal.
    Chanel Egoiste - tangy oriental but not too sweet.
    Bulgari Pour Homme - Green tea and wood.

Hey Six, I hope things are going well with you and your wife. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.

Hmmm...You ask if there is a particular TYPE of fragrance that you are missing...Well, I hate to sound predictable, but have you tried anything from Comme des Garçons?

I know you like some of the so called "stink" fragrances. The thread on Tar prompted me to reevaluate my sample of it. You should try Tar, Garage and Skai from the Synthetic Series.

Also, being that you like MdM, Kouros, and some of the darker incensier stuff, have you tried all of the CdG Incense series? I can't live without Avignon, Jaisalmer, and Zagorsk. I can't recall if you have these or not.

The one I would definitely urge you to try is Tar.

Take Care!

Indie

I'm thinking Frédéric Malle's Vétvier Extraordinaire might be an interesting thing to seek up if you haven't already SixCats.

I must ask though, about Dzing!, because that is one I find quite sweet. Well maybe not sweetsweet, but certainly not a stinker. I would love to hear about what you make of that masterpiece!

Well Sir,you need this:

DK FUEL AND DUNHILL BLEND 30,no doubt
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

Hi guys,

Hey hey Indie, thank you Sir for asking about my wife. We are both doing MUCH better Thank you!
    Indie...I have tried CdG2 a long time ago. I searched the web a LONG time to find a bottle of 2 when there was a hugh BUZZ. EVERY place I searched was OUT! I finally (after several months) located a bottle for swap and I did infact swap with a fellow member (I forget who). I LOVE the bottle design but...I HATED the juice! In fact, of the HUNDREDS of fragrances I have bought/sampled, I was MOST let down by CdG2. I could not swap it away fast enough! So, in a Nutshell, I am pretty turned OFF to CdG. SHIFTS, well....as far as DZING goes, yes, there is a bit of sweetness but not like YUCK SWEET! I would say L'ARTISAN DZING is Masterpiece because it is so UNIQUE! Much the same way many of SERGE LUTENS fragrances are UNIQUE, such as MKK. I really do think L'ARTISAN captured that entire CIRCUS scent/feeling ( I also like the lady riding on top of the Tiger!) lol
    In a World of fragrance "also rans", DZING is "NOT like a breath of fresh air" lol rather a EXPERIENCE!
    Perhaps it's me but, the fragrances I MOST admire most fall into the UNIQUE niche (such as MdM, PIPER NIGRUM, ACQUA DI CUBA, KOUROS, SMN PATCHOULI , SMN NOSTALIGA etc.). My only complaint about DZING is that it does NOT last long on my skin. I mostly wear DZING after a nice hot evening shower a couple of hours before bedtime. Perhaps this way I will DREAM about a THREE RING CIRCUS! Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh my!
    Whoops...let's not forget Clowns lol.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Hey Six, Glad to hear that you and your wife are doing better.

In regards to CdG 2... I can see why someone wouldn't like it. I have it, and though I personally like it, I don't exactly love it and most of the time its something i can't wear. The aldehydes can be a little oppressive and harsh.

Don't let that turn you off to the other CdG fragrances, because most of them are really on a different level from everything else out there. I remember being a little let-down the first time I tried some samples of their scents, but then I slowly began to find them much more interesting and fun than other scents. CdG 2 is IMO not representative of the other CdG frags.

The Incense Series, first of all is truly one of the most wonderful ranges of scents ever. Again, you have to try Avignon and Zagorsk, they're just so evocative and powerful. All five scents in this series are amazing.

And I'll repeat- You must try the Synthetic Series. Tar, Skai, Dry Clean, Soda, and Garage. These are all really unusual, but at the same time they have a comforting familarity that envelopes you.

I also love Calamus from the Leaves Series and Palisander, Sequoia, and Harissa from the Red series.

Odeur 53 is one of my all time favorite scents ever.

I need to look into getting some sample vials (anyone recommend me a good place to order them in bulk from?) and perhaps in the near future I can send you some samples of some of this stuff- I think you'd love it.

Aside from CdG...I've been really into Miller et Bertaux Spiritus/Land #2. Another oddball fragrance. Lots of ginger and incense. Given what scents you like, I'd suggest it as well.

Hi Indie,

Well Sir...when YOU recommend something, I simply have to take it to Heart!
    I know you have VERY HIGH STANDARDS! I must from time to time be reminded to keep an open mind! The fragrances you listed sound interesting indeed! Heck...you know me, I DIG the OFFBEAT stuff!
    Thanks Indie.

Regards,
    SixCats!