Code of Conduct

Default Strong Workplace Cologne

Alo Cologne Experts!

I am seeking some advice about some cologne names that I am go out and test on my skin in the next couple weeks. It is so much easier to have your professional help into narrowing down the field and save my nose some time.

I work as a Design Consultant/Sales Person for a mid-upscale Tile Dealer. We deal mostly in Natural Stone, Porcelain, and known for our awesome accents and service. The main problem with the job is 2 fold.

1) I am 22 years old, and even though I am an As. Manager it is often hard to overcome a natural stygma that a decent amount of people intially have regarding my backround in TileSetting and Design. So I am searching for a cologne that will "make me seem older and wiser" if that makes any sense. I've already caved into my fiancee to get the glasses I needed just for this.

2) Despite the dress attire of press'ed dress shirt and pants, at least 2-3 times a day I do have to do some lifting of Tile Boxes. So I am looking for a cologne that is LONG LASTING, and potent enough to help mask any rancor that comes from this.

So here is basically what i am seeking:

Long Lastings (9 - 12 Hours)
    Mature Smelling
    Fairly Pontent
    NOT a "Love it or Hate it", Inoffensive (but not so much that without charactor)

Preferably a DESIGNER fragrance that I am find at a cookie cutter Depart store so I can test it out. I do know of a perfumania around town somewhere that I COULD goto if looking for something more Niche, but im not sure exactly what they carry.

One other thing, I tend to spray VERY lightly. Usually One spritz on my chest , occasionaly a second behind the knees. I find this lets you use stronger cologne that typically wouldnt be smelt at work because of the suttleness of them.

I currently Own:

Issey Miyake L'eau (I think its great, long lasting, potent enough, one spritz is plenty, I can see ppl hating it though)

Dolce & Gabana (Not a typical work cologne but it works great for me, again in VERY small doeses, under dress.

Cool Water ( My old teenage cologne, I keep a bottle around for after working out and such. Sometimes will wear it on short shifts due to the longevity issue. )

ADG ( Fiancee bought it for me, I only wear it on date nights with her or too her mom/grandma's place, where they dont realize that everyone wears it)

Chrome (Acceptable duration I think, could be more. Fantastic work scent, but perhaps to childish for wanting to make me look older

Givenchy PI - ( I only spray a half spritz under clothes, and only on very cold days (Live in northern climate). Sorta cloying if over-applied. I find I smell more woodiness then the heavy vanilla i pickup when its on my wrists or neck. Not sure bout wearing this one too much at work, but I still do cause I do like it when applied lightly and not so sugarey.

Thanks for the Help

Dawk

Default Re: Strong Workplace Cologne

You need Geir, my friend.

Paul Smith London for men sounds perfect for you

Im in a similar position and london gets me in the zone so to speak. That and Gucci PH.

Guerlain Heritage immediately came to mind. Liquid authority. Lalique Pour Homme (AKA Lalique Lion) is similar, albeit lighter, at least the EDT.

Zino would probably also work, as well as Carven Homme.

However I don't know how well these frags will work when you are sweating. You might keep an atomizer in your desk if you decide you need to reapply.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I would give a chance to the very basic Guerlain Vetiver. Easy to try/get, fairly cheap, good potency and longevity; manly enough.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Overcome By Fumes

You already have some classics (eg. D&G, Chrome, Pi). The advice given is good too (particularly Geir, Heritage and Vetiver).

I'd try Aramis Tuscany as well. It has a nice clean herbal character, very mature, and lasts pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    I would give a chance to the very basic Guerlain Vetiver. Easy to try/get, fairly cheap, good potency and longevity; manly enough.
    Agreed
    Let your nose be your pilot

Guerlain Vetiver and Tuscany came to my mind.

also Havana, although it's a little more difficult to come by.

Boucheron Pour Homme EDP
    Guerlain Heritage

The ones already suggested are great, but a few won't be available in those garden variety dept. stores you prefered as a condition. I'll throw in Black Code, Gendarme and John Varvatos as possibles. I get fantastic mileage out of each, but you'll have the opportunity to sample, test and see for yourself. Herrera may also fill your need.

Geirs website shows that a Nordstrom nearby carries thier product. Also I believe they carry many of the Gueleins. This is fantastic, i'll be able to cruise in and not get system shock of the nose by smelling everything.

By reading reviews Geir definately sounds like the frontrunner. Hopefully its not TOO fresh or aquatic. Reviews are just a meer guide though, they usually go against what I feel anywho.

Would Azzaro Visit be acceptable?

Seconding Guerlain Vetiver and Heritage, Geir, Lalique Lion.

Adding Herrera for Men and Lanvin L'Homme--excellent office scents which stand up great to movement and heat.

Caron - The Third Man

What about Pour Monsieur edt Concentrée?
    it seems fitting your requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawkins
    I think Visit is an excellent choice for cooler weather. However, it is quite sweet in my opinion (not more so than Pi though) and probably would not be as excellent mixed with warm/hot weather and sweat. IMO, this goes for Tuscany too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawkins
    Geirs website shows that a Nordstrom nearby carries thier product. *Also I believe they carry many of the Gueleins. *This is fantastic, i'll be able to cruise in and not get system shock of the nose by smelling everything.

By reading reviews Geir definately sounds like the frontrunner. *Hopefully its not TOO fresh or aquatic. *Reviews are just a meer guide though, they usually go against what I feel anywho.

The one thing I would caution you about with regard to Geir is its potency. As many have noted elsewhere, it seems to grow in strength as the day goes on, and if you break a sweat lugging those tiles, it could "blossom" and become overpowering. Given your preference for light scent (not light scents, but low concentration application), Id be caseful. APPLY LIGHTLY. don't spray, dab (with a q-tip). That said, its gorgeous and not terribly common outside of circles such as this one.

a safer bet for a workplace would be Gendarme or some variation on Vetiver.

RTbar

trumpers eucris sounds like it would work, its hard to come by though

Visit is a good one.

Why So Serious?

Gucci Pour Homme or perhaps some Santal Noble
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I think a real sleeper in this category is Ulrich Lang Anvers. Very "daytime business" to my nose ... and you likely won't smell like ANYONE else.

I think you owe it to yourself to at least SAMPLE this one. Luckyscent and Aedes carry it.

Polo green bottle
    Tuscany
    Kouros
    Azzaro
    English Leather (not kidding)

Don't worry about the "age" stigma that get's throw around here on Basenotes regarding these fragrances. All are wonderful, classic masculine scents.

Quote Originally Posted by mason
    Polo green bottle

Kouros
    Yeeps! he's a tile-salesman, not a used-car dealer!

Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme - The perfect blend of vetiver, fig and grapefruit. It seemed to be popular it's first few years (introduced 1999) but now it's rarely smelled. Two spritzes, one on top of another, on your chest and your set for all day. Also, you can find some excellent deals on this singular fragrance.

Two potent, fresh, ultra long lasting scents come to mind - Sung Homme and Lagerfeld Photo.

For some reason, I don't think of them as mucking around/hanging around/going out scents, but more as "I'm here for business" scents.

They're designer scents which can usually be found on sale somewhere.
    Renato

I can highly recommend Boss Baldessarini. It's my all-time favourite scent and has become somewhat my signature fragrance. Try and get the Eu de Cologne Concentrée version while you're at it.

It's mature but not so much "out there" like the classics. I believe a 22 year-old can easily pull this one off. Some people have claimed that it initially smells a bit like bubble gum, yet when each ingredient falls into its place there is no better scent in the world for me.

It's one of those scents that you smell on the shirt the next morning, baffled by the wonderful drydown and wonder which scent that was you had been wearing the day before... 8-)

Don't think too much that it's Boss. If it had been issued by a French company like Guerlain it would get higher marks here on Basenotes...

I'd say Guerlain Heritage and maybe Gucci Pour Homme!

Something about Guerlain Vetiver smells geriatric to me... could be just what you ordered.

If you want to smell more mature, in my opinion you will have to go with a tried and true classic scent. They don't become classics without good reason.

Azzaro
    Drakkar Noir
    Aramis
    Polo
    Paco Rabanne
    etc...

These are obviously quite popular with a large segment of the public or they would have not made it this long.

This thread is almost 8 years old.
    With all respect, but I think the original poster found what he needed during those 8 years....., you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Albion9 View Post
    If you want to smell more mature, in my opinion you will have to go with a tried and true classic scent. They don't become classics without good reason.

Azzaro
    Drakkar Noir
    Aramis
    Polo
    Paco Rabanne
    etc...

These are obviously quite popular with a large segment of the public or they would have not made it this long.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Yes, thanks for noticing Snaggy1 - please feel free to start new threads rather than bumping very old ones as a lot changes over the course of a few years!

We'll close this one in order to save any more confusion in the future.