Code of Conduct

Default A find! (and a self imposed moratorium)

Got my package from DSH today! Took advantage of the sale she is running on designer duplicates by getting her versions of Tuscany, Drakkoir Noir, and Opium PH. As others have mentioned in the past, I think that these are a bit deeper than the originals, plus the oils avoid one of my least favorite aspects o many colognes, no alcohol blast at the beginning. On a whim, I picked up a bottle of Aphrodesia EDT. It was "only" $34 (sheesh, these artisanal houses really make you reevaluate your ideas about money) so I figured "What the Hell." I'm glad I did! It is quite seductive and quite departure from what I have been buying. Here's the notes:

Top notes: Spice Notes
    Middle notes: Bulgarian Rose Absolute, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang
    Base notes: Frankincense/Olibanum, Patchouli, Sandalwood

It's got a powdery drydown and it settles into a very woody/"Oriental" base after a while. Very nice, and I think it's probably my best buy so far (even better than $10 for a large bottle of Visit). It has what I have become accustomed to with DSH scents, very smooth, complex, and unique (of course I'm not super experienced either...).

One thing sobered me up though. I was looking at the 4 bottles I got today and realized that I have another two on the way (bitter orange and Piper Nigrum). I gotta stop spending so much! I think that this is going to be the last buy of the year for me. I've now got enough to last several years, and I do love everything I own. So no more scents for me, and no more Basenotes! This place gets me all riled up and money flows out of my account too quickly:-) So have fun you guys!

Isaac

Default Re: A find! (and a self imposed moratorium)

Isaac, we ALL tell ourselves to stop spending so much. We ALL tell ourselves "okay, this is my last bottle." Heck, it was only two weeks ago when I said to myself "Alright, awesome. Your collection is complete." And today, two weeks later, I look at my "Awaiting" list (a little list I stick on my monitor so I know which fragrances are due to come in) and there are eight fragrances listed, one of which is from you : )

Got my package from DSH today! Took advantage of the sale she is running on designer duplicates by getting her versions of Tuscany, Drakkoir Noir, and Opium PH. As others have mentioned in the past, I think that these are a bit deeper than the originals, plus the oils avoid one of my least favorite aspects o many colognes, no alcohol blast at the beginning.
    Get them while you can. My impression is that she is closing out her line of designer dups.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Yeah, I just realized that I won't be able to follow this thread unless I come back here:-) I am going to try to avoid this site though, I only came back to get rid of some stuff that I don't wear and within a week, I had ordered 6(!) more bottles of stuff. It is fun and all, but I can think of some other things that i should be spending my money on. Since I seem to have so little self control, I have to force myself from thinking about it. Maybe next year I'll come back and do some more damage to my account-) Package went out today BTW... Enjoy!

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Got my package from DSH today! Took advantage of the sale she is running on designer duplicates by getting her versions of Tuscany, Drakkoir Noir, and Opium PH. As others have mentioned in the past, I think that these are a bit deeper than the originals, plus the oils avoid one of my least favorite aspects o many colognes, no alcohol blast at the beginning.
    Get them while you can. My impression is that she is closing out her line of designer dups.
    Yup, she will stop selling them soon. It's all for the best as I prefer her own concoctions myself. Now if she ever runs a sale on her originals, I'll be in serious trouble:-)

Isaac

BTW, Who's DSH?

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    BTW, Who's DSH?

Stands for Dawn SPencer Horowitz. She runs two related lines. She has an enormous range of essential oils and oil blends. The other line is much more dangerous... Perfums des Beaux Arts is a small collection of fragrances that she has come up with. They are the most impressive "house" I've ever sampled. I sampled over 15 different creeds and bought one. I sampled 7 of hers, bought 2 and have another 2 on my "to buy" list. So I'll warn you, sample her stuff at the risk of your checking account and/or credit card bill!:-)

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7
    [quote author=myaccolades link=1139262371/0#5 date=1139264650]BTW, Who's DSH?

Stands for Dawn SPencer Horowitz. She runs two related lines. She has an enormous range of essential oils and oil blends. The other line is much more dangerous... Perfums des Beaux Arts is a small collection of fragrances that she has come up with. They are the most impressive "house" I've ever sampled. I sampled over 15 different creeds and bought one. I sampled 7 of hers, bought 2 and have another 2 on my "to buy" list. So I'll warn you, sample her stuff at the risk of your checking account and/or credit card bill!:-)

Isaac[/quote]

I'm interested : ) Which do you recommend sampling?

[quote author=isaacc7 link=1139262371/0#7 date=1139265144][quote author=myaccolades link=1139262371/0#5 date=1139264650]BTW, Who's DSH?

Isaac[/quote]

I'm interested : ) Which do you recommend sampling?[/quote]

Well, everyone is different, but here are the ones that I love..

Gingembre
    Mahjoun
    Seven
    Michaelangelo
    Indochine
    Aphrodesia (part of the essence oils series)
    L'Homme
    Jitterbug
    Poivre

I bought Gingembre (my favorite "spice" scent) and Mahjoun (a truly exotic, heady blend) and I will own both seven and Michaelangelo at some point. It's a lot of fun to try her stuff, you can either buy individual samples or try her sample packs. I am trying her two lavender scents. I already did one, and while it was nice, it was not what I am looking for. Maybe the other will be. I also plan on trying her sandalwood blends. But all of this has to wait until next year, right:-)

Isaac

Thanks for the recommendations

BTW, how big are the samples?

Thanks for the recommendations

I think they are 2ml...

Isaac

Is there someone who has some experience with her 'animalic' oils? I really like to apply a layer of Muscs Koublaï Khän under my SOTD as a sort of, well... foundation. But since it's a bit on the expensive side, I'm looking for something a bit more affordable but equally bestial ;D

Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7
    [quote author=myaccolades link=1139262371/0#10 date=1139268681]Thanks for the recommendations

I think they are 2ml...

Isaac[/quote]

Actually, I think they're probably 1ml. I just got some samples from Luscious Cargo along with my Piper Nigrum and Bitter Orange (damn them!) and a couple are 2ml. The samples I got are noticeably larger than the ones I got from DSH.

Isaac

So good bye, Isaacc7!
    Last thankful words to you - Thank you for leaving! One less concurent on the battlefield
    Vetiver The Great!!!