Code of Conduct

Default OK.  My verdict on "good v. bad" Himalaya

Most of you are aware of my frustration with Himalaya.

I had gotten a sample from someone on here, came to love it and decided to buy a bottle. I ordered a bottle from Perfume Emporium, and when it arrived and I went to spray it...it was not good. It smelled hot, flat, thin and weak. I compared it straight up to the remains of my "good" sample, and there was a huge difference. I was confounded. Member AJ subsequently sent me two different samples from two different e-tailers and they both smelled like my "bad" Himalaya. I even sampled Himalaya at Neimans and their bottle seemed flat. So the odds were that my original "good" sample was the anomaly. Well, AJ later emailed me to say that he had tried a bottle at Neimans and it was much better than the samples he had sent. So I was even more confused.

My Himalaya sat on a shelf. I finally set up a kind of challenge. I wanted someone to send me a decant of Himalaya that was undeniably "good" so that I would have something to compare my "bad" one to. Octothorpe answered my call, and sent me a sample from his Himalaya which he bought at Neiman Marcus...

Well, imagine my shock when, to my nose, it seemed pretty much identical to my bottle. (I sent Octo a sample of mine today, which should reach him in a few days. I'm curious to see what he'll think...) So I guess that my Himalaya may have been good all along. Who knows. I don't have the best nose in the world but it seems to me that the original sample of Himalaya I tried was less sweet than my current points of reference. I seem to remember Himalaya differently.

So I'll wait to see what Octothorpe says about mine. I'm not in love with my bottle of Himalaya, but I guess I'm going to start wearing it. I feel like a moron after all that has been said and done on this topic.

Thanks again Octo for your help! Make sure to post your analysis of my sample.

Default Re: OK.  My verdict on "good v. bad" Himalaya

I feel that pain... I guess the quest is not quite over yet, but memory can be deceiving alright--- You really shouldn't feel stupid from this affair at all, I mean, how many times haven't a scent I first found heavenly when I tried it seem to change into something completely different right under my nose when I revisit it?

In light of the "aging theory" that came up a few days ago - is it possible that your first sample (the good one) was considerably older than all the bottles and samples that smell the same? It seems reasonable to expect fresh, new Himalaya to be "as good as it gets," but perhaps Himalaya is one of the fragrances that matures with age. That whole theory could be trash too. Its very hard to prove because its near impossible to guess how old something is when you buy it (unless it has the date on the box).

Default Re: OK. *My verdict on "good v. bad" Himalaya

I agree with FatTony. The best thing you can do bro is go to Neimans and pay full price. At lest if it is bum you can return it for another and you keep doing so until you get a good one. Also, Ask to look at a couple of bottles, see if there is a date on t he back. Pick the one you want, buy it, then spray it on you in the store, go have a coke and if within an hour it doesn't smell abolutely fabulous, go back to the counter and exchange it and explain the problem. A bottle 2 years old might smell better but I would probaby try to get a new date on it. By the time you get a fourth of the way down the bottle, it should be getting better. Also, give a little shake by inverting the bottle up and down a few times each time you wear it and this should help matters if it hasn't completely infused.

I used to never shake a bottle before sraying but after someone had a good thread on it long ago, not only do I do this with Creed, I do it with my others as well.

I always shake my bottle before I spray some on. No special reason just something I've always done I guess I just figured it would be good to mix it up. I didn't know it was really a good thing I tried to search for the thread you spoke about on shaking but couldn't find it :-[

Quote Originally Posted by Mobert
    I always shake my bottle before I spray some on. No special reason just something I've always done I guess I just figured it would be good to mix it up. I didn't know it was really a good thing I tried to search for the thread you spoke about on shaking but couldn't find it *:-[
    I think the thread was posted before basenotes got a new server. Alot of good threads was lost I believe buts thats ok because we are having some good threads now!

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    [quote author=Mobert link=1139472990/0#4 date=1139508884]I always shake my bottle before I spray some on. No special reason just something I've always done I guess I just figured it would be good to mix it up. I didn't know it was really a good thing I tried to search for the thread you spoke about on shaking but couldn't find it :-[
    I think the thread was posted before basenotes got a new server. Alot of good threads was lost I believe buts thats ok because we are having some good threads now![/quote]

Do you remember any specifics about that thread? I always thought that shaking would speed up oxidation processes, but I'm ready to rethink.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    [quote author=ikkitosennomusha link=1139472990/0#5 date=1139509208][quote author=Mobert link=1139472990/0#4 date=1139508884]I always shake my bottle before I spray some on. No special reason just something I've always done I guess I just figured it would be good to mix it up. I didn't know it was really a good thing I tried to search for the thread you spoke about on shaking but couldn't find it *:-[
    I think the thread was posted before basenotes got a new server. Alot of good threads was lost I believe buts thats ok because we are having some good threads now![/quote]

Do you remember any specifics about that thread? I always thought that shaking would speed up oxidation processes, but I'm ready to rethink.[/quote]

To *spped up the oxidation process, you need to have the juice sitting in a warm bath shaking/stirring while being exposed to the open air, i.e., it need to be in a container/flask open to the atmosphere. Since most perfume bottles are sealed off permenantly, I doubt any oxidation activity will occur if any.

Do you remember any specifics about that thread? I always thought that shaking would speed up oxidation processes, but I'm ready to rethink.
    You need to use the proper technique. In the northern hemisphere you need to shake using a clockwise motion, in the southern hemisphere you need to use a counterclockwise motion. Doing this makes your shaking compatible with coriolis forces induced by the earth's rotation and insures that instead of oxidation you get optimal molecular alignments.

You put your left foot in
    You put your left foot out
    You put your left foot in and you shake it all about
    You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around
    Thats what it is all about

(Northern Hemisphere version)
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by fakepurseninja
    I always thought that shaking would speed up oxidation processes, but I'm ready to rethink.
    That might be a concern. You could always swirl it, which would mix up any layers that might have formed but wouldn't aerate the liquid.

I don't know whether fragrance oils actually layer out in an undisturbed solution, but after looking up a few it appears essential oils are denser (heavier) than ethanol, so if anything they would settle to the bottom (from which the tube draws).
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    You need to use the proper technique. In the northern hemisphere you need to shake using a clockwise motion, in the southern hemisphere you need to use a counterclockwise motion. Doing this makes your shaking compatible with coriolis forces induced by the earth's rotation and insures that instead of oxidation you get optimal molecular alignments.

You put your left foot in
    You put your left foot out
    You put your left foot in and you shake it all about
    You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around
    Thats what it is all about

(Northern Hemisphere version)
    Can't I just modulate the phase variance? Why oh why does EVERYTHING have to be so complicated...

Can't I just modulate the phase variance?
    Perhaps, but I believe that you will need a dilithium crystal for that.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.