Code of Conduct

Default This is probably the last place to ask this...

(cross-posted with the Female board)

...but how do you feel about "signature" scents? I.e., I've been pretty torn recently - I'm very old-school on this and believe (truly) that one should have one signature scent. Maximum two - a daytime fragrance and an evening fragrance.

"Riiiiiiiight," - you'll say, looking at my collection.

But it's true. I've just not found that "signature" to replace my last signature (I've noticed that my signature scents change from time to time, and I don't think it's a mere coincindence that those changes happen when I have a major change in my life).

Well, maybe I have - Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles are very serious contenders, but I've been tricked into thinking I've found my scent several times before, only to find out when I've finished the bottle that I can take it or leave it.

Anyway, how do you feel about the concept of "signature"? I'm leaning in the direction that - varied as our fragrance libraries are - we still all have a signature, since we all tend to be partial to a certain direction. I think that when we say "signature" in our days, it's more of a "signature note" rather than a "signature scent". Or "signature house" (for example, those who use Creed).

Any opinions on this?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Default Re: This is probably the last place to ask this...

I would say if you judge this particular board most people do not have a signature. *A fair number of the members have a different SOTD every day of the month.

On the other hand I think that with more experienced fragrance users that people definitely have signature notes / houses. *I would definitely put myself in this category.

Also people are always going to have favorite scents to wear on occasions that really matter. *A perfect example of this would be a scent you would wear on a date. *This would be a signature because a lot of time would likely go into deciding which one to wear.

I'm kinda on the fence about this; I enjoy fragrances too much to settle on one for everyday; but I think I will eventually settle in to a Signature scent.

Someone said that if you change your scent daily; it's like changing your personality, so you should stick with one.

I agree to an extent; but I think different occasions, heck; different weather, different dress, all call for a different scent sometimes.

I wear GIT presently and find it suitable for a wide spectrum of what I mentioned.

When I want to feel authoritive; or camping; sitting next to a fire, etc. I like Vintage Tabarome from Creed.

When I'm at work, or just going out to eat; I like GIT.

When I dress up for work and am wearing a cool color; I like Himalaya,
    When I'm wearing a Warmer or Earthen color; I like to wear Vintage Tabarome or 1872 by C.& C.

So, I think you should have a 'rounded' collection to cover the bases, even if you wear one scent for most occasions.

I'll probably never have the 100 plus scents that some here have; but I can see me with maybe 6 to 8 for rotation; and a few more for kicks!

I love the signature scent as an idea. But I can't and won't practice it. There was a time when I wore a signature scent and came to love being identified with it. Days when I'd forget to put it on I didn't feel like myself, and moments when I'd smell the bottle I'd say hey! that smells like me! So it is a great thing to use a signature. There are times I'd like to go back to it.

But I get too much pleasure from rotating scents. I have too much curiosity about what a day in another one will be like. I have too much fun letting a different scent play the strings in my nose each day.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by goldslinger
    I'm kinda on the fence about this; I enjoy fragrances too much to settle on one for everyday; but I think I will eventually settle in to a Signature scent.

Someone said that if you change your scent daily; it's like changing your personality, so you should stick with one.

I agree to an extent; but I think different occasions, heck; different weather, different dress, all call for a different scent sometimes.

I wear GIT presently and find it suitable for a wide spectrum of what I mentioned.

When I want to feel authoritive; or camping; sitting next to a fire, etc. *I like Vintage Tabarome from Creed.

When I'm at work, or just going out to eat; I like GIT.

When I dress up for work and am wearing a cool color; I like Himalaya,
    When I'm wearing a Warmer or Earthen color; I like to wear Vintage Tabarome or 1872 by C.& C.

So, I think you should have a 'rounded' collection to cover the bases, even if you wear one scent for most occasions.

I'll probably never have the 100 plus scents that some here have; but I can see me with maybe 6 to 8 for rotation; and a few more for kicks!
    But they're all Creed. So you do have a signature, if not scent, then house.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I love the signature scent as an idea. *But I can't and won't practice it. *There was a time when I wore a signature scent and came to love being identified with it. *Days when I'd forget to put it on I didn't feel like myself, and moments when I'd smell the bottle I'd say hey! that smells like me! *So it is a great thing to use a signature. *There are times I'd like to go back to it.

But I get too much pleasure from rotating scents. *I have too much curiosity about what a day in another one will be like. *I have too much fun letting a different scent play the strings in my nose each day.
    --Chris
    Oh, I agree. But I easily see myself owning a lot of scents, but using only one or two. That's the way it's been most of my life, anyway.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon
    I would say if you judge this particular board most people do not have a signature. *A fair number of the members have a different SOTD every day of the month.

On the other hand I think that with more experienced fragrance users that people definitely have signature notes / houses. *I would definitely put myself in this category.

Also people are always going to have favorite scents to wear on occasions that really matter. *A perfect example of this would be a scent you would wear on a date. *This would be a signature because a lot of time would likely go into deciding which one to wear.
    True, but - this is kinda what I'm trying to figure out - the set that a specific individual uses should, in theory, have some sort of note or combination of notes in common. *There must be something that unifies a particular set, I believe.

Signature scents at a time when there was not as much of them made perfect sense. *Now we have a wider range to choose from, hence the number of our "signature" scents increases. *Still, there must be some kind of tendency in how we choose those scents for ourselves. *"It smells good on me," - usually means that our bodies accept a certain element of a scent better than others.

Geez, I find it incredibly difficult to express what I mean.

Let me try doing this differently. *For example, someone is partial to a combination of musk and amber. *So he or she may have a gazillion fragrances, but there would be that combination of musk and amber in all of them, because it is that combination of musk and amber that this individual's chemistry works best with, and they act as an "introduction" to the skin of the other elements of a fragrance.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I only have 5 scents. I tend to use the same for longer periods, like several weeks. I'm in the minority here but I don't feel like I need more than perhaps 10 max. I like the idea of smelling "like me". Sometimes when I'm walking down the street I suddenly stop and look for a person I know. I don't really know why I think they are present until I realize somebody near me is wearing the same scent as the person I thought was there. I like to recognize people by their scent.

It's not that I hate all other frags but I only buy the ones that I really, really like. The ones I know that I will wear a lot. I don't think it's possible to have ONE signature scent. Perhaps 4 - summer/daytime, summer/evening, winter/daytime, winter/evening. Then perhaps a one for special occations or such.

When I'm going to New York soon I think I will leave all my frags at home. Then I'll be forced to find some new good stuff over there and that will require a lot of testing of fragrances we don't have here. I might have to bring a bottle of Bulgari Black though... I just love that stuff. ;D

i think of changing your scent as changing your clothes. you don't wear the same outfit every day so why would you wear the same fragrance? i used to try to change it up every day but now if i feel like wearing something multiple days in a row i will. so i can imagine that if i were to find the perfect fragrance i very well could have a signature scent, maybe i just haven't found it yet. although i have to say shalimar is a fragrance i could very easily wear every single day and never get sick of, but i try to restrain myself just out of a desire for variety. so maybe you're on to something about signature scents

Quote Originally Posted by minilomaniac
    I only have 5 scents. I tend to use the same for longer periods, like several weeks. I'm in the minority here but I don't feel like I need more than perhaps 10 max. I like the idea of smelling "like me". Sometimes when I'm walking down the street I suddenly stop and look for a person I know. I don't really know why I think they are present until I realize somebody near me is wearing the same scent as the person I thought was there. I like to recognize people by their scent.

It's not that I hate all other frags but I only buy the ones that I really, really like. The ones I know that I will wear a lot. I don't think it's possible to have ONE signature scent. Perhaps 4 - summer/daytime, summer/evening, winter/daytime, winter/evening. Then perhaps a one for special occations or such.

When I'm going to New York soon I think I will leave all my frags at home. Then I'll be forced to find some new good stuff over there and that will require a lot of testing of fragrances we don't have here. I might have to bring a bottle of Bulgari Black though... I just love that stuff. ;D
    Oh, I disagree. The difference can also be in the way that one scent is used; i.e., as a standalone, layering, "clouding", etc. I've had ONE signature scent for long periods of my life, just varied the way I used it. The one that lasted the longest was Obsession - I find it incredibly easy to play around with.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneFish
    i think of changing your scent as changing your clothes. you don't wear the same outfit every day so why would you wear the same fragrance? i used to try to change it up every day but now if i feel like wearing something multiple days in a row i will. so i can imagine that if i were to find the perfect fragrance i very well could have a signature scent, maybe i just haven't found it yet. although i have to say shalimar is a fragrance i could very easily wear every single day and never get sick of, but i try to restrain myself just out of a desire for variety. so maybe you're on to something about signature scents
    Oh, I think the same concept as the one I'm trying to relay applies to clothes as well. We all have our "personal style" with clothes, wouldn't you agree? The same black sweater can be worn a gazillion different ways by a gazillion different people.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Of course you should have a signature scent - in exactly the same way that you have a signature set of clothes, a signature pair of shoes, a signature necklace, a signature bracelet, a signature handbag - all of which you wear each and every single day............................................... * *you don't do you?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Of course you should have a signature scent - in exactly the same way that you have a signature set of clothes, a signature pair of shoes, a signature necklace, a signature bracelet, a signature handbag that you wear each and every day............................................... * *you don't do you?
    Renato
    I do, actually. I have a signature ring (two, actually) that I wear all the time, no matter what.

I understand you're trying to be sarcastic, but I've addressed this a bit earlier - while we, of course, change our clothes, the majority of us has a personal style; I, for one, wouldn't be caught dead wearing something along the line of dungarees (while I certainly don't mind that others wear them). ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    Oh, I think the same concept as the one I'm trying to relay applies to clothes as well. *We all have our "personal style" with clothes, wouldn't you agree? *The same black sweater can be worn a gazillion different ways by a gazillion different people.
    A personal style of clothing does not really equate to a signature scent. It may, however, equate to a personal style of scent e.g. you're mainly into florals or orientals or chypres or Chanel.
    Renato

I do, actually. * *I have a signature ring (two, actually) that I wear all the time, no matter what.

I understand you're trying to be sarcastic, but I've addressed this a bit earlier - while we, of course, change our clothes, the majority of us has a personal style; I, for one, wouldn't be caught dead wearing something along the line of dungarees (while I certainly don't mind that others wear them). * ;D
    Not fair - I didn't mention rings.
    Renato
    P.S. *I feel like we're in the Chat room.
    P.P.S I was trying to express irony, not sarcasm.

Geez, I find it incredibly difficult to express what I mean.

Let me try doing this differently. *For example, someone is partial to a combination of musk and amber. *So he or she may have a gazillion fragrances, but there would be that combination of musk and amber in all of them, because it is that combination of musk and amber that this individual's chemistry works best with, and they act as an "introduction" to the skin of the other elements of a fragrance.
    I think I see what you mean Frofro, and I see your question as somewhat akin to asking which fragrance classifications or notes are our favorites, since if we get them often, and introduce to the skin their other qualities, these repeatedly chosen classifications or notes become our "signature."

I'm sure that it's true for many of us, but I find it easier to think of which classifications and notes I dislike and generally avoid. I'm not much for citruses, gourmands, and a few other things. I go for vetivers and patchoulis and florals but it wouldn't be right to say any grouping forms a signature for me.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/0#10 date=1139418836]
    Oh, I think the same concept as the one I'm trying to relay applies to clothes as well. *We all have our "personal style" with clothes, wouldn't you agree? *The same black sweater can be worn a gazillion different ways by a gazillion different people.
    A personal style of clothing does not really equate to a signature scent. It may, however, equate to a personal style of scent e.g. you're mainly into florals or orientals or chypres.
    Renato[/quote]
    Renato, you're not reading all of my genius thoughts. I said specifically that earlier - because our selection of scents right now is much more varied, we have more of them; but there still must be something in common between them. So the "signature scent" nowadays becomes a "signature note" or a "signature house" or something along those lines.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/0#12 date=1139419358]
    I do, actually. * *I have a signature ring (two, actually) that I wear all the time, no matter what.

I understand you're trying to be sarcastic, but I've addressed this a bit earlier - while we, of course, change our clothes, the majority of us has a personal style; I, for one, wouldn't be caught dead wearing something along the line of dungarees (while I certainly don't mind that others wear them). * ;D
    Not fair - I didn't mention rings.
    Renato
    P.S. *I feel like we're in the Chat room.[/quote]
    Fine. You mentioned necklaces. I have one that I wear day in and day out. I always have it on. I MAY take it off if I'm wearing a very open dress and pearls (like, for evenings), but that's an exceptionally rare occasion; otherwise, I always have it on.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Fine. You mentioned necklaces. *I have one that I wear day in and day out. *I always have it on. *I MAY take it off if I'm wearing a very open dress and pearls (like, for evenings), but that's an exceptionally rare occasion; otherwise, I always have it on.
    I think you're proving my point, if you have two necklaces you wear, you don't have a signature necklace. *

But then again I think where we are differing is in our interpretation of the application of the word "signature" to scents. To me, you only have one signature - no exceptions - else your cheques start bouncing and the banks and creditors get very angry with you. But it does also have the meaning of "significant appearance" (as opposed to it's other meaning of "significant mark&quot, which is the sense that you are using it in (in case you can't tell, I've just looked up the dictionary). ;D
    Renato

I feel this need to have aesthetical opinions, favourites and signatures is alot about categorizing the chaotic world around us, and it also helps us separate ourselves as individuals. It's obviously very vague, but aesthetical opinion like this might be just a little part of the whole concept of 'me'. It sometimes feels important to tell people what *I* like.

Some sub-cultures might be a good example of this. We want to identify ourselves, and thus separate ourselves from other people by wearing certain clothes, when it really is only about our music taste, not about more profound things such as religion or political values. I know the example is not very good, sub-cultures are obviously not that simple, but it has this element of identifying ourselves as a part of some group I'm trying to explain. Obviously signature scent is not an important thing in this way, but what I'm trying to say is that certain need to have a signature might be about the same phenomenon.

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/15#17 date=1139419989]
    Fine. You mentioned necklaces. *I have one that I wear day in and day out. *I always have it on. *I MAY take it off if I'm wearing a very open dress and pearls (like, for evenings), but that's an exceptionally rare occasion; otherwise, I always have it on.
    I think you're proving my point, if you have two necklaces you wear, you don't have a signature necklace. *

But then again I think where we are differing is in our interpretation of the application of the word "signature" to scents. To me, you only have one signature - no exceptions - else your cheques start bouncing and the banks and creditors get very angry with you. But it does also have the meaning of "significant appearance" (as opposed to it's other meaning of "significant mark&quot, which is the sense that you are using it in (in case you can't tell, I've just looked up the dictionary). ;D
    Renato[/quote]
    Again, I have way more than two necklases - at least 20, I'd estimate, but I only wear ONE all the time (and take it of very rarely).

Speaking of which, now that you mention it, I do have more than one signature. *I have a "full" version, a "shortened" version, and an "abbreviated" version. *

P.S. I thought about it and realized that I actually have more signatures than that: I have two sets in two languages. That makes 6. So, there.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I do have more than one signature. I have a "full" version, a "shortened" version, and an "abbreviated" version.
    I was going to post the same thing before I read this... only my examples were going to be different. Credit-card slips, notes, greeting cards, and formal letters all get different versions of my signature. I suspect medical doctors sign prescription sheets differently from legal documents.

But bringing this back to fragrances, I think most of us associate different fragrances with different settings, and that a single fragrance for all occasions just won't do for anyone who spends as much time as we do thinking about them.

At the same time, we have our preferences among notes, families, and design houses; I think we can recognize this without having to decide whether to call that a "signature," but if that word is understood in the sense of "a distinguishing style," then I think it could apply.

I am intrigued by this thread, mainly because of the analogies and metaphors. Some think of fragrances like clothing; others think of them like personalities; many associate fragrances with seasons, times of day, activities, moods, or colors. I find all this fascinating.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Again, I have way more than two necklases - at least 20, I'd estimate, but I only wear ONE all the time (and take it of very rarely).

Speaking of which, now that you mention it, I do have more than one signature. *I have a "full" version, a "shortened" version, and an "abbreviated" version. *

P.S. *I thought about it and realized that I actually have more signatures than that: *I have two sets in two languages. *That makes 6. *So, there. *
    Actually I have three signatures as well, my Australian one, my Italian one and a hybrid (if I didn't have them I'd get into strife every time I hit a bureacrat) - they arise because the Italians don't recognise any name other than that assigned to me at birth, and my mother's not liking the name my father gave me. But regardless of my three or your six, there's only one we use for cheques or buying property if we want to avoid serious problems.

Anyhow, back to signature necklaces. You go out and meet the groups of people you only see at the special occasions where you don't wear your standard necklace, but instead wear your pearl necklace. Would they not think that your "signature" necklace is your pearl one, instead of the other one they've never seen you wear? If so, do you not in fact have two totally different "signature" necklaces?
    Renato

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/15#20 date=1139421734]

P.S. *I thought about it and realized that I actually have more signatures than that: *I have two sets in two languages. *That makes 6. *So, there. *
    Actually I have three signatures as well, my Australian one, my Italian one and a hybrid (if I didn't have them I'd get into strife every time I hit a bureacrat) - they arise because the Italians don't recognise any name other than that assigned to me at birth, and my mother's not liking the name my father gave me. But regardless of my three or your six, there's only one we use for cheques or buying property if we want to avoid serious problems.

Anyhow, back to signature necklaces. You go out and meet the groups of people you only see at the special occasions where you don't wear your standard necklace, but instead wear your pearl necklace. Would they not think that your "signature" necklace is your pearl one, instead of the other one they've never seen you wear? If so, do you not in fact have two totally different "signature" necklaces?
    Renato[/quote]

I feel the need to step in and say something here. Renato, a "signiture" anything is not based on a one time event but rather, in my opinion, it is something that people associate with you because they recognize you with it over many events. The necklace FroFro wears ALL the time would be her signiture necklace because people would associate it MOST with her - not the pearls. I suppose in the special occasion setting, the pearls would be the signiture necklace but it wouldn't be in everyday life - which is what, I think, FroFro is trying to get at: the everyday life signiture of a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/grooming/235

utter rubbish!
    Utter rubbish yes, but fascinating rubbish.
    The person actually equates scent with intrinsic personality!
    How weird.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades

I feel the need to step in and say something here. Renato, a "signiture" anything is not based on a one time event but rather, in my opinion, it is something that people associate with you because they recognize you with it over many events. The necklace FroFro wears ALL the time would be her signiture necklace because people would associate it MOST with her - not the pearls. I suppose in the special occasion setting, the pearls would be the signiture necklace but it wouldn't be in everyday life - which is what, I think, FroFro is trying to get at: the everyday life signiture of a person.
    Actually this has been an interesting thread - not so much about the scents themselves, but as d4 points out above, about all the different perceptions we have, to which I'd add using the same language but meaning different things. You've actually introduced yet another element, that a signature is what's worn most of the time in everyday life - thus time is the more important element. Whereas I see everyday life as something relatively mundane, but the much shorter social occasions as more important in forming any judgement about what people may construe as "signature".

And in all this discussion, I realise that the very pertinent issue of olfactive blocking hasn't been raised at all i.e. where wearing the same scent results in one not being able to smell it as much after a few days, resulting in people dousing themselves to get the same effect they initially had (whereas everyone else thinks they've overdone the scent application by a long shot).
    Renato

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/15#20 date=1139421734]

Speaking of which, now that you mention it, I do have more than one signature. I have a "full" version, a "shortened" version, and an "abbreviated" version.

P.S. I thought about it and realized that I actually have more signatures than that: I have two sets in two languages. That makes 6. So, there.

Renato[/quote]
    I have several bank accounts in several countries; I have different signatures for them.

Back to the necklace: if I'm meeting someone once and never going to see him/her again, what does it matter whether or not they know my signature necklace? Those I see on a permanent basis know I always wear it; in fact, if, by chance, they see me without it, they ask about it.

Same applies to scents; my ex-hubby still cannot understand any other woman wearing Obsession. It freaks him out. And it would completely freak him out if I wore anything else. Fortunately, I don't see him, so his sanity is safe; however, if I do eventually meet him, I'd probably wear Obsession, or he might not recognize me.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    I feel this need to have aesthetical opinions, favourites and signatures is alot about categorizing the chaotic world around us, and it also helps us separate ourselves as individuals. It's obviously very vague, but aesthetical opinion like this might be just a little part of the whole concept of 'me'. It sometimes feels important to tell people what *I* like.

Some sub-cultures might be a good example of this. We want to identify ourselves, and thus separate ourselves from other people by wearing certain clothes, when it really is only about our music taste, not about more profound things such as religion or political values. I know the example is not very good, sub-cultures are obviously not that simple, but it has this element of identifying ourselves as a part of some group I'm trying to explain. Obviously signature scent is not an important thing in this way, but what I'm trying to say is that certain need to have a signature might be about the same phenomenon.
    How did I miss this one? This is approximately what I am saying. For example, there is no way anyone I know could see me wearing something babypowder like or a strict floral. I lean towards earthy smells, the "fresh" ones really don't suit me at all.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I'm also interested in the historical aspect of this topic. I feel that we had one or two "signature" scents earlier because there really wasn't as many to choose from as there are now.

Now there are more scents that appeal to us, hence, we tend to have more "signature" scents.

To me, I think what I'm trying to achieve is a balance between my need to have a "signature" scent and my desire for variety. What I think I want to happen is for me to establish a pattern in which I chose my scents, and, in that, discover that "signature" feeling without actually limiting myself in my fragrance wardrobe.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I don’t think I like that idea. If you wear the same frag day after day, you eventually will not be able to smell it. Since 80% - 90% of my satisfaction comes from smelling myself, I like to rotate a lot to keep my nose guessing.

There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    ...Since 80% - 90% of my satisfaction comes from smelling myself... * *
    LOL!!!

OO, you really should see someone about this. * ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I'm also interested in the historical aspect of this topic. *I feel that we had one or two "signature" scents earlier because there really wasn't as many to choose from as there are now.

Now there are more scents that appeal to us, hence, we tend to have more "signature" scents.

To me, I think what I'm trying to achieve is a balance between my need to have a "signature" scent and my desire for variety. *What I think I want to happen is for me to establish a pattern in which I chose my scents, and, in that, discover that "signature" feeling without actually limiting myself in my fragrance wardrobe.
    Methinks your position has changed considerably in the course of this discussion.
    Specifically, contrast what you write above with what you started off saying,
    " I'm very old-school on this and believe (truly) that one should have one signature scent."

Congratulations - you are no longer old-school, but very modern.
    Renato

[quote author=OlfaOmega link=1139415944/30#30 date=1139430157]
    ...Since 80% - 90% of my satisfaction comes from smelling myself... * *
    LOL!!!

OO, you really should see someone about this. * ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/quote]
    Heheh.. perhaps that came out the wrong way.

Or perhaps it didn't!!! BUH-WAH-HA-HA-HA-HAAAA!!

Seriously though, no one I know gives a basenote what I wear. Savages.

There is no Nose....

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/15#29 date=1139426029]I'm also interested in the historical aspect of this topic. I feel that we had one or two "signature" scents earlier because there really wasn't as many to choose from as there are now.

To me, I think what I'm trying to achieve is a balance between my need to have a "signature" scent and my desire for variety. What I think I want to happen is for me to establish a pattern in which I chose my scents, and, in that, discover that "signature" feeling without actually limiting myself in my fragrance wardrobe.
    Methinks your position has changed considerably in the course of this discussion.
    Specifically, contrast what you write above with what you started off saying,
    " I'm very old-school on this and believe (truly) that one should have one signature scent."

Congratulations - you are no longer old-school, but very modern.
    Renato

[/quote]
    Again, Renato, you misread me. If you re-read carefully, while I said that I believe that, I also said that I don't follow that rule recently; in order to justify my horridly un-signature behaviour, I'm trying to develop the theory of a "signature scent" into a theory of a "signature something". That way I won't feel as guilty
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    [quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/30#31 date=1139430413][quote author=OlfaOmega link=1139415944/30#30 date=1139430157]
    ...Since 80% - 90% of my satisfaction comes from smelling myself...
    LOL!!!

OO, you really should see someone about this. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/quote]
    Heheh.. perhaps that came out the wrong way.

Or perhaps it didn't!!! BUH-WAH-HA-HA-HA-HAAAA!!

Seriously though, no one I know gives a basenote what I wear. Savages.

[/quote]
    It was cute.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Again, Renato, you misread me. *If you re-read carefully, while I said that I believe that, I also said that I don't follow that rule recently; in order to justify my horridly un-signature behaviour, I'm trying to develop the theory of a "signature scent" into a theory of a "signature something". *That way I won't feel as guilty
    I'm not sure I have misread you, anyway we'll have to agree to disagree on that very fine point.

However, I'm puzzled again. What's this guilt business? Where does that enter the equation?
    Renato

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/30#34 date=1139451151]
    Again, Renato, you misread me. If you re-read carefully, while I said that I believe that, I also said that I don't follow that rule recently; in order to justify my horridly un-signature behaviour, I'm trying to develop the theory of a "signature scent" into a theory of a "signature something". That way I won't feel as guilty
    I'm not sure I have misread you, anyway we'll have to agree to disagree on that very fine point.

However, I'm puzzled again. What's this guilt business? Where does that enter the equation?
    Renato[/quote]
    Yes, Renato, I can tell there's some Italian blood mixed in there somewhere. "I'm not sure I have misread you, 'cause I know better what you meant when you wrote what you wrote." Luv it! ;D ;D ;D

"Guilt", perhaps, is not the right word. As I've said in my initial post, I feel torn, not guilty. On the one hand, I do believe in signature scents, on the other, I'm not sure I'll find just ONE.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Yes, Renato, I can tell there's some Italian blood mixed in there somewhere. *"I'm not sure I have misread you, 'cause I know better what you meant when you wrote what you wrote." *Luv it! * ;D ;D ;D

"Guilt", perhaps, is not the right word. *As I've said in my initial post, I feel torn, not guilty. *On the one hand, I do believe in signature scents, on the other, I'm not sure I'll find just ONE.
    Actually, it's "I'm not sure I have misread you because I'm pretty sure you meant what you wrote when you wrote it."

You were firmly old school yesterday, turned new school overnight, but seem to want to incorporate some of what you liked most about the old school tradition into your new school ways. Which all seems pretty reasonable and practicable to me.

Do you still wear Obsession?
    Renato

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/30#37 date=1139452901]
    Yes, Renato, I can tell there's some Italian blood mixed in there somewhere. "I'm not sure I have misread you, 'cause I know better what you meant when you wrote what you wrote." Luv it! ;D ;D ;D

"Guilt", perhaps, is not the right word. As I've said in my initial post, I feel torn, not guilty. On the one hand, I do believe in signature scents, on the other, I'm not sure I'll find just ONE.
    Actually, it's "I'm not sure I have misread you because I'm pretty sure you meant what you wrote when you wrote it."
    You were firmly old school yesterday, turned new school overnight, but seem to want to incorporate some of what you liked most about the old school tradition into your new school ways. Which all seems pretty reasonable and practicable to me.
    Do you still wear Obsession?
    Renato[/quote]
    Geez, Renato, re-read my first post. I still consider myself old school, i'm just looking for a cover.

Yeah, I still wear Obsession.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Geez, Renato, re-read my first post. *I still consider myself old school, i'm just looking for a cover. *

It's still a fabulous scent.
    Renato

[quote author=FroFro link=1139415944/30#39 date=1139455396]
    Geez, Renato, re-read my first post. I still consider myself old school, i'm just looking for a cover.

It's still a fabulous scent.
    Renato[/quote]
    I think it's much better now that not every other person is wearing it.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

While I dont have a true signature scent, there are a few that I fall back on depending on the time of year (2 for each season) that just fit me.

For winter: Gucci Rush and Versace Dreamer will always have a spot on my shelf. Dreamer is my "warm" look at me scent and Rush I just find tranquil and nice to have around on cold days

For Summer: Actually, I only have one summer scent (which I have recently discovered) and that is YSL's Kouros eau D'ete. I dont really care for anything light and fruity so the edge of Kouros makes this my perfect summer scent.

For all around: John Varvatos for a kind of dressed up look and Versace Black Jeans for casual. There two are used constantly throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture17
    While I dont have a true signature scent, there are a few that I fall back on depending on the time of year (2 for each season) that just fit me.

For winter: Gucci Rush and Versace Dreamer will always have a spot on my shelf. Dreamer is my "warm" look at me scent and Rush I just find tranquil and nice to have around on cold days

For Summer: Actually, I only have one summer scent (which I have recently discovered) and that is YSL's Kouros eau D'ete. I dont really care for anything light and fruity so the edge of Kouros makes this my perfect summer scent.

For all around: John Varvatos for a kind of dressed up look and Versace Black Jeans for casual. There two are used constantly throughout the year.
    Do you find they have anything in common that you think appeals to you?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

BTW, I've analized my "signatures" and realized that I seem to favor Bergamot a lot, as well as Musk and Amber. But mostly Bergamot. Sandalwood and Orange blossom also seem to be quite popular with yours truly.

The only one that completely doesn't fit the picture is Michael (Kors).
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.