Code of Conduct

Default What should I get? 16 years old.

Hi all. I just registered because I think this is an awsome website. I just wanted to ask a quick question for the perfume experts.
    What kind of EDT do you recomend a 16 year old? I'm looking for something that makes people want to be close to you.
    I wan't something that makes an impression, not something that's just nice. So..... what should I get?

Default Re: What should I get? 16 years old.

Armani - Acqua Di Gio
    Kenneth Cole - Reaction
    Dunhill - Dunhill Desire

If you have money, and want to stand out and turn heads, I say "Green Irish Tweed" by Creed, my 17 year old cousin seems to love it, ever since I got it from him as a Present.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler (one of my faves)
    Allure Homme Sport by Chanel
    L'eau de Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake

All are subtle, unique, and quite readily available at dept. stores.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I recommend you go to the fragrance counter at your local department store and start sniffing away. Tastes are subjective so what we like may not appeal to you.

Welcome to Basenotes

If you can not afford Green Irish Tweed there are always the designer fragrances. I would go for Cool Water or Azzaro Chrome to smell especially clean and fresh. If you want something oriental that girls really like (in my experience) try Boss Bottled or Pi by Givenchy. Those two are sweet and good for the winter time. Those are some basics. I don't know if you are into heavy wood scents or Green scents so you'll just have to find that out for your self. The only way you'll figure out your taste is to go sniff. Hit up every department store they have in your area and just sniff away. Don't let the sales people try to sell you anything though because you can always find what you are looking for online for much cheeper.

Welcome to basenotes and good luck on your hunt!!

a few ideas (taking the "makes an impression" assumption):
    Emporio He (Armani)
    Soul (Boss)
    Le Mâle (J-P Gaultier)
    Black XS (Paco Rabanne)
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Chrome would be a great start! Allure Sport is a great idea too. Many of the pro athletes in my community where Chrome - not that they know best. Great tip from above to not buy from the department stores - great to sample though. Scentiments is way cheaper.
    Peace ~ Markymark

You are 16, so what? Just like all the other age groups, young people should get the fragrances they like. I agree with teflondog, just start sniffing! It would be kind of nice to start your journey without knowing anything at all! That way you could only follow your nose, not the opinions of other people.

Thanx for the replies guys! I'm going to a dept store tomorrow after school. I don't mind the price, as long as it's worth it.

I second the Pi by Givenchy* or Boucheron Jaipur Homme Fresh** *or Thé *Vert (Tay Vair) by Bulgari ***

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121288.html * ***http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123551.html

***http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120269.html

if you want to go higher end:

Himalaya by Creed [a little fresher, hipper than Green Irish Tweed and no, it does not really smell like Paco rabanne XS]
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121939.html

Uomo (ooh-WhOAM-oh) by Carthusia
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123446.html

Medetterraneo (med-i-tair-a-NAY-o) by Carthusia
    [url][http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123443.html/url]

Quote Originally Posted by whoamI
    Thanx for the replies guys! I'm going to a dept store tomorrow after school. I don't mind the price, as long as it's worth it.
    True, but remember that if you get it at half the price on the internet, it will be twice worth it.

Good luck with your sniffing, but don't let the sales assistant talk you into buying anything - put the six you liked the most on paper onto your wrists and forearms, and tell him or her that you have to check out the longevity of the scents on your skin before you buy them. Check your watch, and any that aren't hanging around with some strength 3 hours later, you can forget about.
    Renato

Also, I wouldn't buy anything after just one sampling, the best - and probably the only - way to dodge duds is careful sampling! And remember to give a scent you are about to buy a full wearing. Something that smells good on your wrist might be ultimately uncomfortable to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato

Good luck with your sniffing, but don't let the sales assistant talk you into buying anything - put the six you liked the most on paper onto your wrists and forearms, and tell him or her that you have to check out the longevity of the scents on your skin before you buy them. Check your watch, and any that aren't hanging around with some strength 3 hours later, you can forget about.
    Renato
    No offense here, but why would you have to forget about a fragrance if it doesn't last any longer than 3 hours? I know a ton of fragrances that last way too long because they're way too chemical... Simply banning everything that doesn't last more than 3 hours would be a pity, there are lot's of fantastic ones out there that won't last too long but have a lot of other qualities.
    Seriously, if you enjoy a good longevity, no problem, but it doesn't mean you should throw the less-than-3-hour ones away
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Mad_Hatter

The best I can think of is the eternal and always wonderful

EAU SAUVAGE (Dior)

Get Acqua di Gio. The chicks will love it.

If not, get Creed Imperial Millesime. Greatest fragrance of all time.

I got my kid brother Hugo by Hugo Boss for his 16th birthday and he loved it. In fact, he wears it to this day (he's now 26). Then again, I knew my kid brother's personality rather well.

You really should just go and sniff everything, and decide for yourself. No one will ever be able to tell you what you like better than you.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Lacoste: Style in Play

discussion ends here
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome!
    Have you tried any fragrances before? Which ones did you like?
    Unfortunately it is difficult to give you a recommendation without knowing a little about what you like.
    If you're looking for a place to try fragrances which is not too intimidating, you might try Sephora's, if you have one around you.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Good luck with your sniffing, but don't let the sales assistant talk you into buying anything
    Sage advice. Fragrance is a very personal choice may take multiple visits. If there was a selection/purchasing FAQ, this would be #1.

Why So Serious?

I agree with the Givenchy Pi recommendation, it's bold and daring, but if you're not into sweet fragrances then pass it on. Another thing is that different people have different tastes, so one person might think your scent is amazing while another person might think it's garbage. So the truth is most fragrances will give you compliments from different arrays of people, there is no one single scent that everybody likes. Of course there are ADG, Cool Water, Curve and such that are widely popular in the high school scene, but those certainly wont make you stand out. Therefore, I also agree on that you have to go test tons of fragrances out(not in one day though,lol), choose something that is not so popular and you find yourself enjoying it, then it must be a winner. A good fragrance that you truly enjoy can make you happy, relaxed and confident, and i think that confidence draws people closer to you. Welcome to the board!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

How could somenone not mention A*Men?? If you want to impress and get noticed, go for this..
    Burberry Brit and Armani Black Code you may also give a try..Btw; I am 16 years old, too..

I have to - reluctantly - disagree with the Givenchy Pi recommendation for someone who's just starting. This fragrance gives people around you a headache. Seriously. Note, this is coming from a person who owns it and who loves it, but it's...how shall I put this...for the advanced user. Someone inexperienced can very easily err with this one.

Start off with something less intense.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

You asked our opinion, so here it is:

GREEN IRISH TWEED has been getting me more compliments than any other
    fragrance; and it is not an old fogey scent; but it's not an immature scent either IMO. * *It's not so florally either, so you won't smell like your sister. *I find it extremely pleasant to most everyone which is important, in my profession.

GIT has become my Signature scent; for now anyway.

Your 16 and want to know what will allure; and I'm assuming someone your own age, I don't think they want to be reminded of their old man; or Aunt Thelma.

I would always buy samples first on the more expensive fragrances(from someone here; so you know what you are getting). *There are some generous decants here too; that will last long enough for you to form your own opinion.

I hear alot of good things about L'Artisan, too; but I just got some decants from that line and haven't given them a fair chance, yet; too hard to tear myself away from my favorite.

There are A LOT of good stuff out there; but I take it that you want a place to start; that's why I posted. I bought alot of crap that ended up costing me more than just simply asking here, and buying a quality product to start with, and that's how I found out about GIT.

whoami,
    check your private messages...

I agree wholeheartedly with the advice, given above, to go out and sample different fragrances. I also recommend using this board as a *tool* for making a list of which scents to try (not buy).

A couple of good ones that I would recommend you sniff are Live Jazz, and Thierry Mugler Cologne.

Good luck, and welcome!

As mentioned, mugler colonge will be a good choice. It should be readily available at Neimans, Skas, even at most Macys. Live Jazz is good but will require a little pizazz to aquire it since it is not found just anywhere. I also recommend Incanot PH by ferragamo. Ultimately, you will have to go out and sample various ones to obtain some notions about what type of scent you like. Feel free to take a pen and note pad to jot down the fragrances you tried and your response to it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Welcome!

*K
    I've tried Acqua Di Gio and Mania before, and I thought they were really really nice, but unfortunatly none of them worked with my skin chemistry. They both ended up smelling like crap on me. By the way, anyone know how to improve my skin chemistry?
    Thx again for the replies, I've written down the recomendation given here so I'll know what to look for when I go on my sniff hunt.

[quote author=Vicomte de K link=1139328101/15#18 date=1139337641]Welcome!

K
    I've tried Acqua Di Gio and Mania before, and I thought they were really really nice, but unfortunatly none of them worked with my skin chemistry. They both ended up smelling like crap on me. By the way, anyone know how to improve my skin chemistry?
    Thx again for the replies, I've written down the recomendation given here so I'll know what to look for when I go on my sniff hunt.
    [/quote]

Really depending on the scent, but on some you can spray on only your clothes.... On the other hand, there are many scents that needs to be applied on skin..

By the way, anyone know how to improve my skin chemistry?
    Eat less meat and junk food. *Curiously, pineapple, regularly consumed, does wonders.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Hi all. I just registered because I think this is an awsome website. I just wanted to ask a quick question for the perfume experts.
    What kind of EDT do you recomend a 16 year old? I'm looking for something that makes people want to be close to you.
    I wan't something that makes an impression, not something that's just nice. So..... what should I get?
    Ulric de Varens Rectoverso Absolute Musk. It is unexpensive, but very appealing, even sexy. It has lots of sweet and clean musk in it with oriental twist.
    Fits perfectly for a young lad like you!

You know, from the way you talk, I can tell you're from the UK.

So I suggest you go buy these fragrances on the net, unless you live near places like London where there's a vast variety but I'm in Nottingham and can hardly find anything that's not mainstream.

You'll need a lot of after school trips..

And out of interest, does anyone know you're into this and what do they think..?

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    [quote author=Renato link=1139328101/0#11 date=1139332726]

Renato
    No offense here, but why would you have to forget about a fragrance if it doesn't last any longer than 3 hours? I know a ton of fragrances that last way too long because they're way too chemical... Simply banning everything that doesn't last more than 3 hours would be a pity, there are lot's of fantastic ones out there that won't last too long but have a lot of other qualities.
    Seriously, if you enjoy a good longevity, no problem, but it doesn't mean you should throw the less-than-3-hour ones away [/quote]
    No offence taken.

But when a person asks for recommendations around here, he very generally wants a scent that lasts longer than his Gillette aftershave splash, or longer than his Brut underarm deodorant.

Less-than-3 hour scents wouldn't be so bad if they cost a third the price of regular scents, but they don't. On a smell-per-hour-per dollar spent basis, they are a waste of money.
    Renato

The best advice you could get is going out to your local dept. store and taking a sniff for yourself... please, please, please dont let any of the reviews change your opinion on a cologne you're looking to buy. *Personally, I would have missed out on some great scents if I would have listened to some of the reviews...

Having said that, I'll second Black XS. *You'll definitely stand out.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Words
    The best advice you could get is going out to your local dept. store and taking a sniff for yourself... please, please, please dont let any of the reviews change your opinion on a cologne you're looking to buy. *Personally, I would have missed out on some great scents if I would have listened to some of the reviews...

Having said that, I'll second Black XS. *You'll definitely stand out.
    Buy some Tag or Axe. *Seriously though, I agree 100% with ^ on his comment about taking the initiative to smell things for yourself. *I would never have bought the new Dunhill if I listened to the advice of people on this board, and I'm glad I didn't listen to them! *Everyone here is as honest as can be, but fragrances are very subjective. *If your question was "I'm 16, what kind of music should I listen to?", you'd get pulled in thousands of directions. *The best thing is surely to go out and try for yourself. *While I may be mistaken, your 16 year old nose probably will be drawn to fresh or lighter orientals. *If you want to play it safe, go out and see if you can get a whiff of Hilfiger's True Star. *It has characteristics of both a fresh and oriental cologne, and is light enough not to offend. *I love some of the other recommendations like Pi, but it takes a man to tame it. *I don't mean that to jeer at your age, but a lot of teens abuse strong juice & don't know the time or place for its application. If you can pull off some of the stronger stuff, by all means seize the opportunity...you'll stand out for your age in a good way. * 8-)

Perhaps something like Swiss Army or maybe (Hummer?) H2.

Clinique Happy?

I think also Dunhill Desire might be OK.

Always seem to get favorable comments on Cool Water.

Chic for Men

As most have said, it's pretty subjective what you may like. I'll also second other good advice, start with a little bit and work up - don't want to be known as "the marinator".

GIT is a great recommendation, but pricey and harder to find than others.

I'll second Mugler Cologne. Its different from what your friends are wearing, but its not a challenging scent either. Burberry Brit is good too. Brit's character can change drastically depending on how much you spray - so spray lightly to make it the "going to school today" nice cologne and a little heavier for the "going on a date" sexy cologne. The same goes for the above mentioned PI - spray lightly (once) and its very different than spraying 3x.

If you can get to a Sephora, you have to smell Gendarme. Its a truely unique fragrance that I recomment to just about everyone.

Those are my recs, but as everyone has said - you have to smell for yourself. Also, don't hesitate to ask for samples from the sales person at the fragrance counter.

Have you tried CKbe? I think it's a great scent, both fresh and softly musky. Not too sporty if you want to avoid those types of scents.

O wow, a lot of replies.

Today I went to two dept stores to sniff some. The ones I tried out (on paper) were:

Hugo Energiser - Nice, but there's just something about this I don't like....too spicy I think.
    Givenchy Pi - Oh holy shit, this one was like pure vanilla. Not for me.
    Mexx Pure Life - This one I liked a lot.
    Armani Black Code - Wonderful. It worked really well with my skin.

I sniffed those at the first store; I only tested two on my skin, Mexx and Black Code. They both smelled really good to me, but I wanted someone else’s opinion, so I asked this really cute girl that was sniffing around for an opinion. She liked Mexx the best, "it's fresh but still warm". I didn't want to smell too much at the same time, so I decided to take a pause. We talked for a couple of mins and then we had some cake and fanta at a coffee shop and hung out. After about 45 min I went to another dept store to continue my sniffing and the ones I tried were:

Lacoste style in play (red bottle) - really nice, but horrible on me.
    True Star - I really didn't like this one. Smelled like it was made by a robot.
    L'dissy or something- Issey Mijaki (sp?) - Loved this one, but didn't smell good on me. DAMNIT!!
    Lacoste Essential - Nice smell, worked well on my skin, but I have a feeling this one is going to become the next Aqua Di gio.
    Allure Sport - great fragrance, but I get the feeling this is only going to fall into the "fresh" categories.

So...those were the ones I sniffed and tried today. The ones that I liked the most were Mexx and issey (damn my skin for not mixing with this one). I couldn't find Mugler Cologne or Green Irish Tweed, but I'll keep looking.

Hippie girl: I'm not from the UK. I really don't care about the people in my school; they'll smell what I wear.

Well done. You're getting the hang of it. I hope you got her number.
    Renato

Wow. I'm impressed. Are you sure you're 16? ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

lol yea I'm 16.

Any comments on the ones I tried?

by the way, frodo girl, how many pineapples do you eat a day/week? I'm getting real pissed with my skin as it doesn't work with a lot of fragrances.

Why So Serious?

While we're at it, i'd recommend some others:

Ralph Lauren Romance Silver
    YSL Body Kouros
    Chanel Allure Homme
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

lol yea I'm 16.

Any comments on the ones I tried?

by the way, frodo girl, how many pineapples do you eat a day/week? I'm getting real pissed with my skin as it doesn't work with a lot of fragrances.
    I usually have at least a half-cup, most often - a cup of pineapple (fresh, obviously, is better than canned) per day. But it's not only pineapple, in general body chemistry is to a degree regulated by what you eat. But it's silly to chose a diet based on wanting to wear a certain cologne.

I wouldn't get upset if I were you that some fragrances you like don't work with your body chemistry. They're just not for you. There are so many out there that you will most definitely find those that suit YOU. It's encouraging to see your not rushing into anything and taking your time. Keep looking. You'll find it (and have a lot of cute girls smell you while you're at it, he he he).
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Rather than propose specific frags to you, I think it may be more helpful to recommend brands of "houses" which work well for your age demographic. It seems to me that Kenneth Cole, Lacoste and Hugo Boss colognes tend to skew toward a younger consumer. Gucci and YSL are more bold and complicated, and I doubt if highschool girls would really "get" them.

That said, I do have to pitch one particular frag to you: Burberry Brit
    based on your favorable reaction to Armani Code and the sweet tooth that I sensed coming out in your "fanta and cake" side note, I think this should be right up your alley. Its very easy to wear, youngish but complex, has GREAT staying power and just all around rocks the planet.

Hi WhoamI

My 16 year old likes Givenchy Very Irresistible for Men. *At first spray, it reminds me of the chocolate mint Andes. *The mocha softens as it becomes a more woody with the drydown. *To me that occasional whiff of mint, that seems to release as he moves around, magically invigarates my senses and brings my attention back to the fragrance as a whole. *Makes me have the urge to repeatedly tell him how nice he smells....(which I do). *

Since it is not a 'sporty' scent, it probably isn't the typical teenage fragrance....but it's defintely not exclusively an older gentlemen fragrance for sure. *

[quote author=Vicomte de K link=1139328101/15#18 date=1139337641]Welcome!

*K
    [/quote]

Acqua di Gio gets bashed a lot on the board mostly due to its populatity, but it looks like it doesn't work on your skin. Unbound (Halston) is rather similar, you might give it a try. If you are open to other aquatics, try Chrome (unfortunately my bottle broke), or Bulgari Aqua (a bit more expensive). With Bulgari Aqua, my fiancee loves the dry down, and this is after about 10 hours... personally, I can't smell it, but she can. I'm not sure where you can test Unbound, but you might be able to find Aqua at a department store.

Armani Mania is a good scent which seems to smell different to everyone. I thought is was a very subtle citrus-musk fragrance. I regret trading mine away, but no biggie. My beef with it is that it had no projection... I didn't think anyone else could smell it. The fragrance I think is closest to Mania, and this is with a big IMHO (I don't think anyone will agree with me), is 4711. However 4711 lacks duration. Thierry Mugler cologne is the next choice. Citric and clean, and you should be able to find it pretty easily in dept stores for a test.

You might give Nautica-Latitude Longitude a whirl. It has aquatic and woody notes along with a touch of spice. The woods seem to predominate in this fragrance.

Keep on spraying and let us know what you like and don't like, that way we can help you out. No sense cluttering up your bureau with fragrances which, in the long run you don't like, believe me!
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]