Code of Conduct

Thread: Only Guerlain

Default Only Guerlain

I recently started playing again with my big box of samples, decants, and minis.

When I first started my last search for a new cologne several months ago, I expected to end up wearing one of those "Guerlains." I new the name, had a small sense of the image, kind of the Ferrari of luxury fragrances, the classics. I'd never smelled one. But somehow I always ended up with the classics.

Because of Basenotes I discovered niche houses, the gourmand trend, all of that. I bought a few bottles of gourmands, wasn't satisfied. I ordered a bunch of samples. Funny the first sample I tried was L'Instant and I knew right then, on first wearing, that this was probably the sig that I was looking for. But I kind of rebelled against the idea of going with the classics, I wanted something more exotic or quirky. More individual.

So I tried a bunch of things, smelled everything in the local shops (perfumania plus, etc) Spent a bunch more on samples and minis, all of the major houses. Tried many of the wondrous niche houses: Lutens, Diptyque, L'Artisan, etc. Had samples flown in from France: Divine, Frederic Malle.

After I'd literally spent hundreds on all of this, there was only one choice: L'Instant de Guerlain PH. I would've also picked up a bottle of Heritage during that sale, but I couldn't find an unopened box. Those were also the only two frags that I found myself recommending to others. Heritage for formal, L'Instant PH for everything else.

So I've spent the last few months wearing L'Instant everyday, my signature. I'm so securely settled in, I felt like wearing something else just for a moment. To whom do I turn? Straight to Habit Rouge Legere. It fits, though it is not broken in like L'Instant - it is not a second skin. I try the other Habit Rouges, and they are nice, but I agree with Luca Turin, they seem dated. I remember smelling colognes as a boy, and I know that older style, something from the generations before me. When I try to check out anything else in my hodge podge of samples, it seems I often find interesting things, interesting scents, but not anything that I can wear. For some reason they just don't satisfy as if they are missing something, or they turn against me at some point I need to wash them off.

I loved many of the Lutens, for example, I loved to dwell in some of them at the end of the day. But this is aromatherapy, not personal fragrance. None of them were what could emanate from me during the day, another part of my conversation with other people. Somehow it is only Guerlain.

Default Re: Only Guerlain

L'Instant isn't really considered a classic yet, has it? If my memory serves me correctly, it's only been out a couple years.

L'Instant was one of my own personal "pleasant discoveries" of 2005 when i got a tester around Feb. So was Burberry Brit.

I have close to 30 scents in my drawer, but in all honesty I'll be trying to get rid of/blend most of them away and settle on the following "core scents" for rotation (in no particular order):

- Gucci PH
    - Dior PH
    - L'Instant PH
    - Burberry Brit
    - Rive Gauche
    - M7

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    L'Instant isn't really considered a classic yet, has it? If my memory serves me correctly, it's only been out a couple years.
    Since 2004, to be exact.

Carlos, have you tried the Extrème version? Maybe it satisfies your gourmand-taste also

For a "second skin" fragrance you must try Spanish Leather by Geo F. Trumper.

I also think you could very well like the unfortunatelly discontinued Coriolan by Guerlain.

Carlos, I hear ya man about L'Instant. It sits extremely well on my skin too. I love it -- even wore it for a job interview which went exceptionally well. Confident and memorable and far from being trendy with the citrus scents of today.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I have no doubt that what Carlos means by classic is that L'Instant PH is from the classic house of Guerlain, and thus a product of one of the old and venerable houses of fragrance creation. Not that L'Instant PH is ten or more years old.

Great post Carlos! I disliked L'Instant when I first tried it but I've turned completely around on it. I too will wear it with pleasure for a long time to come.
    Best,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Love L'Instant me too...Starts out traditionally citrusy, goes into something similar to Dior Homme, and ends up as lovely spicy, vanillic patchouli...

As for only wearing one scent, I am hopeless..I smell a scent and think that it is THE scent, but then after a few wears i get bored of it, and need to give it a little rest...

I also love L'Instant. Only wished the topnotes lasted longer, I just love that top note (kind of rotten wood smell). I have the EdP, is the topnote more pronounced in the EdT version?

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I have no doubt that what Carlos means by classic is that L'Instant PH is from the classic house of Guerlain, and thus a product of one of the old and venerable houses of fragrance creation. *Not that L'Instant PH is ten or more years old.

Great post Carlos! *I disliked L'Instant when I first tried it but I've turned completely around on it. *I too will wear it with pleasure for a long time to come.
    Best,
    --Chris
    Ooops, my bad :

Yes, Guerlain is the very prestigious house with many classic fragrances. L'Instant and Heritage are too young to be established classics, but they are still classical compositions, in terms of how they are constructed, and how they wear. L'Instant uses many gourmand notes, yet is not an overt gourmand fragrance in the A*Men mold. It uses modern notes to create a traditional feel, and is indeed a strangely perfect composition. It doesn't do anything loud or brash to knock your socks off, like many fragrances, instead it is quietly exquisite.

As far as classics go, I find I don't actually care for the esrablished Guerliain classics. What I like are the new fragrances, that follow the old classicism with a more contemporary sensibility. I'm not into Shalimar or Samsara or Vetiver. I like Heritage, Habit Rouge Legere, L'Instant. Given the dozens of other frags that I find unwearable, three from one house is a treasure trove. I'm looking forward to more of their new fragrances to come.