Code of Conduct

Default Classifications--Leffingwell/Michael Edwards

I've become fascinated with the categorization of fragrances, and different systems. Michael Edward's classification is pretty interesting, though he splits the "woods" up more, and I assume "chypres" and "woody orientals" fall into his system....whereas the Fragrance Genealogy chart makes sense, in the way a "spectrum" makes sense..but I think Edward's is more detailed...

Anyone know of any other systems or organizations on-line?
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Classifications--Leffingwell/Michael Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by conehead
    I've become fascinated with the categorization of fragrances, and different systems. * *Michael Edward's classification is pretty interesting, though he splits the "woods" up more, and I assume "chypres" and "woody orientals" fall into his system....whereas the Fragrance Genealogy chart makes sense, in the way a "spectrum" makes sense..but I think Edward's is more detailed...

Anyone know of any other systems or organizations on-line?
    You can search www.perfumeworld.net by olfactive family to get an idea of how they classify, and go to the encyclopedia section/oflactory groups at www.osmoz.com to get their take.

It's interesting when there's a peculiar scent that doesn't quite fit neatly into a group (e.g. Tiffany and Egoiste - are they really oriental?) to see how people classify them. *

The other main difference among systems is that what say the H&R charts call ambery fougere (e.g. Laguna, Brut, Xeryus Rouge) others call fresh oriental - I go along with the ambery fougere classification as they don't seem like orientals, fresh or otherwise, to me.

I like the way Michael Edwards classifies mossy scents together - others put various mossy scents into fougere, ambery fougere or chypre categories - but what sticks out to my nose is the green moss, regardless of the other ingredients, and they apparently strike Michael Edwards the same way.
    Renato

Default Re: Classifications--Leffingwell/Michael Edwards

I like most of what Michael Edwards does, with regard to classifying "woody orientals" instead of Chypres....and instead of Ambery or Spicy Orientals.

M7 for example, is primarily a woody smell, but not a chypre, at least not by my understanding of the definition. * *Not sure I'd call Opium PH a "crisp woody oriental," though. *

Most of the Chypres--esp. those w/ leathery notes--he classifies as "dry woods," which is okay with me also. *The whole "mossy woods" vs. "dry woods" thing doesn't hold up entirely, though....Yatagan, from my memory of it, seems pretty dry, yet he classes it a "rich mossy wood"-

Overall, he does a great job with Fougeres and Citrus, I think. *

One other thing I noticed--Royal Copenhagen is classsed in both Classical Woody Oriental and Rich Soft Oriental. *Hmmmm...

But who am I to dispute a master, right?

One thing about his system--I can justify more purchases, if I'm trying to have a collection representative of the entire spectrum of men's frags! * ;D ;D

But where's Fendi Uomo and Sung Homme?

Thanks for those other links, Renato, they're pretty cool too!
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]