Code of Conduct

Default EDT vs Cologne Differences?

My understanding is that when one fragrance has an EDT spray and a Cologne spray, the EDT spray will be 'stronger' due to the more fragrance 'substances' (for lack of a better word.

Is this the case? That the EDT will be more concentrated than the Cologne?

Will I notice any downsides to the EDT if I've been using the Cologne for quite some time?

I just noticed that my Tabac fragrance I can now buy in EDT spray from my online distributor. I'll get it if someone can describe the potential 'differences' between the two.

Default Re: EDT vs Cologne Differences?

Never tried Tabac that I can remember but EDC is usually less concentrated than EDT and EDT is usually less concentrated than EDP and EDP is usually less concentrated than pure perfume or parfum and this stuff is about equal to a direct IV infusion ;D
    However, some companies like L'Artisan for example, change the scent when they go from EDT to EDP or EDT to EDC (like Mure et Musc). They don't just increase the concentration of the entire mixture but individual notes which in fact is a different frag...somewhat.

Sometimes there are differences, but I think the differences tend to be more noticable in going between EDP and EDT. Sometimes there are totally different notes. For example, Habit Rouge EDP has Agarwood, while Habit Rouge EDT and EDC do not. Habit Rouge EDC has a more of a citric note than the EDT, but the two are pretty similar. [I prefer Habit Rouge EDC, personally.]

I've found Habit Rouge EDC to last all day on me, and Habit Rouge EDT to last as well, but the EDC is simply more subtle.

An EDT is supposed to have more fragrance in it and tend to last longer than an EDT. Oddly, the fragrance may not necessarily be "stronger" [although Habit Rouge EDT is on me], as there is not as much alcohol in the fragrance. I think this tends to be more noticable with EDPs than EDTs though.

I only have Tabac Original EDC, and it lasts almost all day on me. I don't know how the EDT will be. If you get the EDT, let me know how it is.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

You also have to take into account that in America, cologne is often the same thing as edt. For instance, Calvin Klein's men's fragrances used to be cologne, but they switched the term to eau de toilette when they went global. Maybe it's the same with Tabac?

If a fragrance is available in eau de cologne and eau de toilette, the edt is a stronger concentration.

Alot of american companies sell cologne as opposed to EDT. But as stated above, unless a fragrance is offered in both, then the "cologne" may be as strong as an EDT anyways.

I received a few nice replies and follow ups from Mauer and Wirtz, the mfg'ers of Tabac and their comment is that there is a higher concentration of 'juice', parfum in the EDT than the Cologne but that the topnotes and basenotes should remain very similar, though, stronger in the EDT than the Cologne.

The shelf life of the two is in excess of three years when kept in an unsealed package, in a dark and cool (average temp) room.

I'm going to order a couple of the EDT and use them in the evening, try 'em out and post here what I think the perceived differences are between the EDT and the Cologne.

A big thank you to Mauer and Wirtz for getting back to me in a quick manner.

Geez, he didn't even thank us at all [smiley=cry.gif]
    Well yay for Mauer and Wirtz [smiley=lolk.gif]

My bad. Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er
    My bad. Thanks to all!
    Just razzin ya man [smiley=happy.gif]

Received the Tabac EDT (two) plus shave soap from www.parfum1.com
    I've been buying from this company for quite a few years, excellent prices, great service and communication.

Yes indeed, the EDT does have more 'juice', parfum than the cologne w/o changing the fragrance.

This will be the perfect evening fragrance or in the morning if I want to have the fragrance with me for a few more hours than the cologne.