Code of Conduct

Default Knock-offs or imitations of originals

There has been some discussion, in the past, on knock-offs or imitation scents, but can't find the thread. One poster suggested that the Wal-mart knock-off of Polo Blue, called Classic Match, is exactly like the real thing and lasts longer than the original.

Have any others had luck with any imitation scents of originals. I know they are dirt cheap and most probably don't last anytime, but I'm gonna check out the Polo Blue knock-off, even though I really don't like Polo Blue that much.

Feedback on knock-off frags please.

Thanks,

Jim

Default Re: Knock-offs or imitations of originals

I first really got interested in frags through the knock-off oils. Some of them are pretty good in their own right, even if they don't match the fragrance. Probably the best one I have is a knock off of Silver Mountain Water which is pretty darn close to the real thing. I wish I could say there was a "brand" which I could point you to or an ebay seller, but I don't recall the seller. :/ My fiancee loved her knock-off oil of Shalimar and got a number of compliments on it.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I think the original Van Gils smells like a bad copy of Knize Ten. Ten is so much better crafted. Might just be my nose though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

'Knock offs' is such a derogatory unpleasant term - 'how about scents inspired buy famous originals' ?

I know:

Amour Amour (purchased of ebay) inspired by Cacharel Anais Anais

There are also many more affordable fragrances which are suitable fragrance subtitutes / alternative for more well known perfumes.

Body Shop Javari alternative to JPG le Male
    Coty L'Aimant alternative to / twin formulation to Chanel No.5
    Diesel Plus Plus Masculine alternative to Dunhill Desire for men
    Fendi Fantasia alternative to TM Angel (though less patchouli & musk)

I would love to hear more about those. It would be a wonderful way to experience / try new fragrances without breaking the bank and also supplementing the original, so that you can enjoy it more often without worrying about the cost.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Apparently Polo Blue is easy to copy - I have a Walgreens imitation "Polo Blue" and it is just as good as the real thing, I also get compliments when I wear it. I have tried a few other knock-offs and mostly it's rubbish. I have even seen those Jordache "our version of..." colognes for a dollar but predictably they smell absolutely nothing like the real thing, not even teeny bit close.

Post Thanks / Like

hi
    there is a co that makes it's fragrance in DUBAI called RIO and it always make the knockoff of all fragrances some of them are much better than the original for example happy or aqua di rio are knock off of happy clinique and aqua di gio and the original Happy by Clinique fades away so soon but the knockof has a greate deal of staying power , they make knockoff of popular fragrances almost instantly after the lounch of the fragrance , i don't know how they do it but sometimes they also fail!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emad
    hi
    there is a co that makes it's fragrance in DUBAI called RIO and it always make the knockoff of all fragrances some of them are much better than the original for example happy or aqua di rio are knock off of happy clinique and aqua di gio and the original Happy by Clinique fades away so soon but the knockof has a greate deal of staying power , they make knockoff of popular fragrances almost instantly after the lounch of the fragrance , i don't know how they do it but sometimes they also fail!!!!
    All the fragrances that I've sampled from Dubai have a high oil content are very potent. Many of them were EDP strength so I wouldn't be surprised if they last way longer than the original.

I was at Walmart the other day and I tested another Classic Match scent. It was the Eternity version. It could also pass as the real stuff IMO. I've got to hand it to Classic Match for making fragrances nearly identical to the original ones.

Post Thanks / Like

This gives me an idea for my Algebra class:

-Buy 4 bottles of perfumes: 1 bottle of Angel (for women), 1 bottle of an "InStyle" Angel knockoff from Walgreens, 1 bottle of Acqua di Gio, and 1 bottle of an "InStyle" Acqua di Gio knockoff from Walgreens.

-Buy 4 medium-sized opaque decanting bottles. Decant the fragrances and tape letters A and B on each set.

-Split the math class into 2 groups: 1 male group and 1 female group. Have each person in the group spritz 1 spritz of A on one wrist and 1 spritz of B on the other wrist. Wait 20-45 minutes for the drydown to kick in.

-Ask the group 2 questions. First, ask which perfume they like better. Then, ask them if they think that the better one is the real one or the imposter. Tally up the totals. Then tell the group which was A and which was B.

-Use the statistics from the test in future Algebra problems.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

beware the duds,lol :

Has anyone visited this site, or perchance purchased any of their wares?

http://imitationperfume.com/

The site claims that

Like everything else, there are high quality and low quality imitation fragrances depending on the quality of the ingredients. Some last 30 minutes on the skin while others last up to 4 hours like their original versions. We have chosen what we believe to be some of the best imitation fragrances on the market today.
    I'm curious enough to order some for evaluation. I'd be happy to make the order and send out decants to anyone interested in joining this little project. The prices are pretty low in the first place, so this could be very inexpensive if several of us participate. (Maybe we could even add reviews to the database!)

Thoughts? Preferences among their offerings?
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Quote Originally Posted by minilomaniac
    I think the original Van Gils smells like a bad copy of Knize Ten. Ten is so much better crafted. Might just be my nose though.
    I have never got the chance to smell Knize Ten, but I think there is no leather in Van Gils. IMO, it is warm animalic fougere - hybrid of Kouros, Paco Rabanne PH, Lagerfeld Classic and Fahrenheit. (Which is leathery, yes)

But then, suprisingly, I also think M. Kors has something in common Van Gils, and since Kors is actually VERY leathery, I think you could be right!

Interesting parabel from you, and I really have to get my hands on Knize Ten.

Van Gils is quite odd fragrance, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    Has anyone visited this site, or perchance purchased any of their wares?

http://imitationperfume.com/
    HAHAHAH, I'm just having fun laughing at some of the imitator's names. Polo = Rugby. Eternity = Entirely. Obsession = Perfection. Issey Miyake = Yazaki. HAHAHAHA! ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    HAHAHAH, I'm just having fun laughing at some of the imitator's names. Polo = Rugby. Eternity = Entirely. Obsession = Perfection. Issey Miyake = Yazaki. HAHAHAHA! ;D
    Yeah; they're hilarious, aren't they?

(Anyone interested in evaluating them? I suppose I should put up a poll, but I'm curious whether anyone is interested in the idea a priori...)

Check this out, and try to combine!

http://www.yatego.com/creation-lamis...ee20b34,5,,1,1

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Check this out, and try to combine!

I checked it out---more imitation fragrances, right?

Could you explain what you mean by "try to combine"?

I like to play it safe and just buy the real thing. Too many imitation duds out there!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I bought a bottle of Dis-Lui on ebay and it smells just like Hanae Mori PH though it is not as concentrated, but it it is way cheaper. They both still smell like frootloops :-X

Post Thanks / Like

The Classic Match ones are probably the best of the copy scents. Surprisingly, they have pretty reasonable staying power. I thought that their version of Contradiction was pretty good, and their Eternity and Cool Water weren't too bad either. However, many of the others I tested at the time were pretty junky, often containing a common base, very synthetic note that wasn't in the real thing. Regardless, they were all infinitely better than other ones like the truly attrocious Jordache Textures.

If you're a male and new to the fragrance sniffing hobby, you may indeed have trouble telling Classic Match from the real thing. Once you get some experience though, you will have little difficulty telling them apart. And I suspect females can probably tell the difference straight away - which defeats the purpose of buying them. You're probably better off buying Classic Match versions that do not match the real thing very well, as people may think you have a scent they haven't smelled before, rather than a cheap copy.

I can't really see the point of copy scents. If one is really on a tight budget, the better option is to scour the stores or internet and pick up the cheapest, most heavily discounted, discontinued designer scents around - they'll usually smell and wear much better than the Classic Match ones will.
    Renato

[quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1137506319/0#13 date=1139092138]Check this out, and try to combine!

I checked it out---more imitation fragrances, right?

Could you explain what you mean by "try to combine"?[/quote]

Okey...All of those products are imitations of famous fragrances. All of them!
    What I meant with "combine", is that I thought you all could try to connect those imitation frags with real-things.
    (For instance, that 1999 is a copy of Cerruti 1881)
    And do notice, there are two pages!!

Has anyone tried the Cape Cod copy of Diptyque Philosykos as advertised on ebay?
    If so, was it even close?

Post Thanks / Like

Knock-offs? *Imitations? I avoid 'em like the plague!! *:P
    David and Becca forever!!

Post Thanks / Like

1999=1881
    Aluminium=Azzaro Chrome
    Atomium Lightspeed=Boss In Motion
    Atomium Lightspeed Turbo=Boss In Motion Blue
    Colloseum=L. Biagiotti Roma Uomo
    Country Club Blue=Polo Blue
    Country Club=Polo Green
    Diable Bleu=Angel Men
    Catsuit=JPG Le Male
    Requests=Dunhill Desire
    Requests Cool=Desire Blue
    Black Light=Ultraviolet Man
    Everyone=CK One
    Jumping Jive=Joop!
    Icy Cold=Cool Water
    La Chutte=L'eau d'Issey PH
    Solar Fier=Jil Sander Sun men
    Temperature=Fahrenheit
    Wonderful Mission=Obsession

Those are the ones I can decipher from the list.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

LOL

All I know is that I bought a roll-on vial of Cool Water concentrated scented oil from Ebay for $4 ages ago, thinking it was an inexpensive alternative to Cool Water, and instantly being turned off by the whole idea of counterfeit scents from that day forward! Granted, there may be some imitations that do the original justice, but I'm not about to waste my time searching for them, especially since it's difficult to forget that very first experience... hahaha! I felt so duped! ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    1999=1881
    Aluminium=Azzaro Chrome
    Atomium Lightspeed=Boss In Motion
    Atomium Lightspeed Turbo=Boss In Motion Blue
    Colloseum=L. Biagiotti Roma Uomo
    Country Club Blue=Polo Blue
    Country Club=Polo Green
    Diable Bleu=Angel Men
    Catsuit=JPG Le Male
    Requests=Dunhill Desire
    Requests Cool=Desire Blue
    Black Light=Ultraviolet Man
    Everyone=CK One
    Jumping Jive=Joop!
    Icy Cold=Cool Water
    La Chutte=L'eau d'Issey PH
    Solar Fier=Jil Sander Sun men
    Temperature=Fahrenheit
    Wonderful Mission=Obsession

Those are the ones I can decipher from the list.
    Good job! Btw, that Wonderful Mission is just...--->LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I suspect females can probably tell the difference straight away - which defeats the purpose of buying them.
    It doesn't defeat my purpose: simple curiosity. Anyone whose opinion of me is adversely affected by the fragrance I happen to be wearing is probably not my kind of person in the first place.

Incidentally, does it seem to be the case that women are better able to distinguish smells than men? Is there any research to support this, or is it based on anecdotal reports or just intuition?

Edit: Incidentally, I haven't found Classic Match versions of anything I'm interested in, except perhaps for Obsession. I find the offerings on imitationperfume.com somewhat more intriguing.

[Incidentally, does it seem to be the case that women are better able to distinguish smells than men? Is there any research to support this, or is it based on anecdotal reports or just intuition?]

There is a substantial body of scientific study that would seem to support it, my personal experience does. That said, the enjoyment of others concerning my cologne is secondary to whether I like it. The happy coincedence being that most comments are positive.

As far as knock offs go, I dont go through enough volume for price to be much of an issue so I would probably pass, unless it was really good.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=Renato link=1137506319/15#17 date=1139146698]I suspect females can probably tell the difference straight away - which defeats the purpose of buying them.
    It doesn't defeat my purpose: simple curiosity. Anyone whose opinion of me is adversely affected by the fragrance I happen to be wearing is probably not my kind of person in the first place.

Incidentally, does it seem to be the case that women are better able to distinguish smells than men? Is there any research to support this, or is it based on anecdotal reports or just intuition?

Edit: Incidentally, I haven't found Classic Match versions of anything I'm interested in, except perhaps for Obsession. I find the offerings on imitationperfume.com somewhat more intriguing.[/quote]
    As Dave says there is a lot around saying that women in general have better noses than men. The general idea of buying scents is to smell good to ones self and others. Since I've become relatively good at smelling scents I occasionally come across guys wearing cheapies - and to me those scents now scream "I'm cheap" - which I'm pretty sure wasn't the message those guys wanted to give to anybody, much less to half the population.

But yes, it is good fun checking them out. Another thread mentioned the DHS copy ones, so I checked their site out, and they certainly look intriguing and a far cry from the ultra synthetic copies.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    As Dave says there is a lot around saying that women in general have better noses than men. The general idea of buying scents is to smell good to ones self and others. Since I've become relatively good at smelling scents I occasionally come across guys wearing cheapies - and to me those scents now scream "I'm cheap" - which I'm pretty sure wasn't the message those guys wanted to give to anybody, much less to half the population.

But yes, it is good fun checking them out. Another thread mentioned the DHS copy ones, so I checked their site out, and they certainly look intriguing and a far cry from the ultra synthetic copies.
    Renato
    I am generally cheap, but this is no secret. People will probably notice my old, function-over-fashion attire long before they figure out my (lightly worn) fragrance is a cheap imitation. Let them judge if they will.

After all, I am a graduate student.

Interesting about women's sense of smell. I wonder if there's any evidence to suggest whether this tendency is genetic or conditioned.

As for DHS copies, is this the site you mean?...

http://www.dshperfumes.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I am generally cheap, but this is no secret. People will probably notice my old, function-over-fashion attire long before they figure out my (lightly worn) fragrance is a cheap imitation. Let them judge if they will.

After all, I am a graduate student.

Interesting about women's sense of smell. I wonder if there's any evidence to suggest whether this tendency is genetic or conditioned.

As for DHS copies, is this the site you mean?...

http://www.dshperfumes.com/
    I'm a function-over-fashion person myself. But there's also the concept of cheap'n'good vs cheap'n'nasty. The best of the Classic Match ones I'd rate as cheap'n'very average.

Yes that's the site, but oddly enough the copies are accessed through the essential oil menu, specifically they're at
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/collecti...e=17&id=13
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled the Classic Match knock off of Obsession For Men a couple of nights ago. It was good! Granted, I've never smelled the original OFM, so I can't make a comparison, but this was a good strong, woody oriental that dried down to a nice dry, powdery base. I liked it.

I might buy a bottle. So it may be all the better that I've never smelled the original Obsession!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I sampled the Classic Match knock off of Obsession For Men a couple of nights ago. It was good! Granted, I've never smelled the original OFM, so I can't make a comparison, but this was a good strong, woody oriental that dried down to a nice dry, powdery base. I liked it.

I might buy a bottle. So it may be all the better that I've never smelled the original Obsession!
    An original fragrance is launched and turns to be a total hit. Inspired by this fact - as well as the original's high price tag - someone decides to launch a knock-off. Times passes bye and the company manufacturing and selling the original scent decides to move on, so they reformulate it in order to demean its quality and force buyers to choose the newest offer. Thus reformulation is done to such and extent that the knock-off turns to be better than the original.

Or else, the nose in charge of blending the knock-off fails to an extent his / her creation ends up being remotely analogous to the original scent, but not that much.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting perspective on knock-offs Pollux. If I get the Classic Match Obsession, I don't even care too much what the CK version is like, as long as I'm enjoying the knock off version!

Have any of you tried Classic Match's version of Drakkar Noir?

I recently tried "our version" of Ed Hardy for Men, by Jean Phillipe or whatever his name is, at the local dollar store. It's quite good, and lasts, though I don't like the particular combination of notes.

I think the Delagar line and Parfums de Coeur make some nice smell-alike scents for drugstore prices. Good for travel when you don't want to bring a pricey bottle of the real stuff.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting perspective on knock-offs Pollux. If I get the Classic Match Obsession, I don't even care too much what the CK version is like, as long as I'm enjoying the knock off version!

Have any of you tried Classic Match's version of Drakkar Noir?
    Shamu, Classic Match is not available down here. Besides, long time ago I tried Drakkar Noir and did not like it (guess I should do now... tastes change through time) so I never cared about knock-offs on it. I am PMeming you.

Post Thanks / Like

Moondeva: You don't have to shout!!!! Be more restricted with your font size please.
    Same to Pigeon (sic) Murderer

I bought in ebay a perfume called Parker without knowing it was a knock-off of Paco Rabane. I tried and I immediatly noted the similarity, and I liked as much as the original, I sprayed each of them in each wrist and I could not tell them appart. The only difference was in my pocket (US$9.99 shipping included vs. 50.00) for the 3.4 oz bottle.
    Another one I think is also worth the try is Night Canyon, although not as good as Armani Code, it does a great job
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 2nd October 2010 at 02:01 AM.

I tend to avoid imitation colognes. They look very trashy on my wardrobe..

I have bought several knock-offs and most of them have a plastic/wax-like smell that I detect under the scent. After smelling hundreds of good frags. I now turn ill at the smell of most knock-offs.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the best knock off frag I've ever tried is Nobile Royalty by Alexander de Costa. It's a knock off of Gucci Nobile, and I'd even go so far as to say that I like it better than the Gucci! HERESY!!!!

I think doing quality knock offs of dc'ed frags is an awesome idea. Now if only someone would do a knock off of Balenciaga Pour Homme.

Hi guys, nice topic here, bought a bottle of musk koublai khan from a seller on eBay it suppose to be a knockoff version of serge lutens muscs koublai khan but the problem is that I haven't tried the original yet. Does smell pretty good with monster sillage though !!!

A very good knockoff I have tried and bought is Michael Jordan Legend cologne.

It's so similar to rochas man that I wear this more than the rochas.

The reason I wear this more is because of the price as it was so cheap compard to rochas man and very similar, I think a little more heavier the rochas man.

7/10 for effort I would say

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Probably the best knock off frag I've ever tried is Nobile Royalty by Alexander de Costa. It's a knock off of Gucci Nobile..

I Absolutely agree!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan View Post
    There has been some discussion, in the past, on knock-offs or imitation scents, but can't find the thread. One poster suggested that the Wal-mart knock-off of Polo Blue, called Classic Match, is exactly like the real thing and lasts longer than the original.

Have any others had luck with any imitation scents of originals. I know they are dirt cheap and most probably don't last anytime, but I'm gonna check out the Polo Blue knock-off, even though I really don't like Polo Blue that much.

Feedback on knock-off frags please.

Thanks,

Jim
    Scent matching, replica, imitation are terms used by venders telling you they're selling you something other than authentic, some pushing pretty far over the line into the grey area of disclosing real or fake. Similar but different is still okay. Knock-offs are defrauding buyers trying to convince them of authenticity of a branded/patented product, feloniously. That's only my opinion or understanding, based on whether consumers can reasonably know what they're getting or are being deceived. Illegal knock-offs are a booming multi-B market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emad View Post
    hi
    Do you have a link for that? I'd enjoy a long lasting version of Happy.

raghba is a clone of 24 gold. Costs $30 for 100ml is stronger but more linear. well worth it imo

Post Thanks / Like

Copies and clones can often be at least as good as the original, if not better.
    One such case is Evi....a copy of Envy, ( for women ). Excellent and costs just € 5 !
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Oh here in my country, we have good knockoffs - the imitation fragrances always get the top notes right however the drydown leaves nothing to be desired.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cuba fragrances are high powered and the 3 I've smelled side by side with the originals, at least as good, sometimes better.
    Cuba Gold = Le Male
    Cuba Prestige = A*Men
    Cuba Prestige Black = Swiss Army

I also have Cuba Red and Orange. I haven't smelled the original counterparts side by side, but Orange is a nice sweet fragrance and Red is a monster of a cigar fragrance.

+1 Classic Match - their Eternity was different than the original but good in its own right, from what I remember. I tried the current release of Eternity not long ago and it didn't smell right to me. Doing some research, I found it had been reformulated. I got my hands on some vintage Eternity and it smelled better. Now I want to side-by-side current authentic Eternity and Classic Match and see what the best is.

BTW, knock-offs vs real is getting to be a bit tricky -- real scents are being reformulated so often that in some ways they themselves are knock offs -- and the companies don't advertise that their scent has been changed, either -- so the argument about deception could be applied here...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the Cuba fragrances. I have Gold (Le Male), Prestige (A*Men), and Royal (PRs One Million). I think they're more linear than the originals, but most are very good for the money.

The Dollar Tree Jordache version of PRs One Million isn't too bad for $1. Very linear, but pleasant. The projection isn't great and you don't have to worry about over-spraying it. As far as longevity I could still smell it on my shirt at the end of my work day, but it was very close to the fabric. I bought their version of Chanel Bleu as well, but have not had time to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    Cuba fragrances are high powered and the 3 I've smelled side by side with the originals, at least as good, sometimes better.
    Cuba Gold = Le Male
    Cuba Prestige = A*Men
    Cuba Prestige Black = Swiss Army