Code of Conduct

Default Received Musc Ravageur from FM

i received on JAN 21 the reply from FM, and today from Paris to Vilnius came two samples : Musc Ravageur, and Noir Epices.
    i sprayed on my wrist Musc Ravageur... and... i have to say that... yes, it' s relly intereting smell, really memorizeble. *
    there was a discusition : which one is better - egoiste or musc ravageur. they are different, but both really good. egoiste is sweeter.
    very nice that FM send 5 ml samples, because you can try the scent for several days and decide if it's yours or not. I don' t know whether Musc Ravageur will become one of my most favorites, but that it is exclusive, gourmand scent, it is true.
    and Noir Epices- also very nice ,even oriental, chypre.
    I haven't expected that FM produces such great scents. (i was a bit dissapointed with l'artisan, creed,some of which i tryed a mont ago when i was in London. quite liked serge lutens. but these two scents from FM show to me very hifgh quality of these scents. very refined, very elegant.
    i would like to try and the other scents of that company. interestig , if i liked these two, what else would i like?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: Received Musc Ravageur from FM

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    egoiste is sweeter
    You find l'Egoiste sweeter then Musc Ravageur?

Anyway: I also received these two samples and I really love them. If you want to try something -remotely- similar try the following ones:

-Musc Ravageur: Dzing! (l'Artisan Parfumeur) and Muscs Koublaï Khän (Serge Lutens)

- Noir Epices: Garofano (Lorenzo Villoresi) and Eau Noire (Christian Dior)

Good luck!

I received my free samples last week. As much as I regret to say this, I was quite disappointed in Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices. It's surprising that I didn't like Musc Ravageur from the start because as you all know, I'm a lover of Oriental frags.

Musc Ravageur has an accord in it that's somewhat like Hanae Mori EDT. The citrus and vanilla don't sit well with me. I guess I just don't like the combo of those two notes together. The drydown reminds me a little of A*men's basenotes but without the chocolate.

Noir Epices starts off smelling medicinal to me and the topnotes are a bit harsh. The drydown is pleasant but not groundbreaking. It smells clean and reminds me of a fresh load of laundry taken out of the dryer. It's not bad at all, but it doesn't blow my socks off either.

I'm still giving these scents multiple testings, but I have a feeling that they just won't click with me. Only time will tell though.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I didn't like Musc Ravageur from the start because as you all know, I'm a lover of Oriental frags. *
    i am a lover of oriental scents either. musc ravageur is classified as oriental. what is oriental to you?
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

[quote author=teflondog link=1138807188/0#2 date=1138810231]I didn't like Musc Ravageur from the start because as you all know, I'm a lover of Oriental frags. *
    i am a lover of oriental scents either. musc ravageur is classified as oriental. what is oriental to you?[/quote]

To make it simple, any sweet frags are classified as Oriental IMO. They're usually characterized by having vanilla, amber, tonka, or benzoin in the basenotes. Musc Ravageur has vanilla, but it also has citrus in it which is the reason why I'm having a hard time to get a grasp on it. I also don't detect much musk in it either.

There was an amazing thread a couple weeks back, in which people were listing of different niche houses that had been generous with samples. Ic an't for the life of me find it... anybody got that link?

I agree with you teflon - there is something funny going on in musc ravageur and it might well be the thing thats wrong in hanae mori. I get all the rich spices and vanilla and MR is easily one of the most powerful fragrances I have ever smelled, but there is also this "dead spot" where it seems like there are 2 notes out of sync or something. Like the weakest link in a chain, that "dead spot" breaks the whole fragrance for me. However, most people seem to like it, so I'm chalking it up to my general under-appreciation of really spicy orientals. Anyone want to swap for my 5mL sample (only sprayed twice)?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    There was an amazing thread a couple weeks back, in which people were listing of different niche houses that had been generous with samples. Ic an't for the life of me find it... anybody got that link?
    Know there is another one too, but this mention most:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...34180610/12#12

to my mind MR is very powerful at first. but it does not last very long. is it eau de toilette? or de perfume?
    top notes are very nice. in contrast with chanel pour monsieur, which i do not like for the first minute (because for the first minute it smells like a citrus toilet freshener). but then it's perfect...

to my mind MR is very powerful at first. but it does not last very long. is it eau de toilette? or de perfume?
    top notes are very nice. in contrast with chanel pour monsieur, which i do not like for the first minute (because for the first minute it smells like a citrus toilet freshener). but then it's perfect...
    It's definitely EdP strength, or stronger. And what's this about lack of longevity? One good spray stays on my clothes for up to a week.

about MR, maybe its because you guys praised it too much. Maybe my expectations were too high. but i cannot for the life of my enjoy this fragrance as much as some of the others here.

theres this certain... note. i can't tell what it is, but it shows up more strongly in the basenotes. it smells... odd. quite umpleasant to my nose although the top and middle notes are good and its quite long lasting.

probably skin chem, but it smells sort of like light BO.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcomet

probably skin chem, but it smells sort of like light BO.

Musk?

i own a bottle of noir epices from fm and have a had samples of mm which i found too sweet smelling on me but i have had samples of vetiver extraordinare and birgarade concentree i would recommend the vetiver without hesitation and i think the bc would be ideal on a warm summer's day as it's bitter orange accord makes a refreshing change from the more common lemon scented citrus fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Musk?
    Boom!

Headshot!
    Current frags (in order of preference):

1) GIT
    2) GV
    3) MR

Quote Originally Posted by Manos, The Hands of Fate
    Boom!

Headshot!
    This random comment made my day.

That's the exact opposite of my experince with MR. I sprayed twice, once to my chest and once to my wrists and I found the scent to still be almost overbearingly strong 12 hours after appliation. Could easily smell it after 24 hours. I have to try it again sometime to make up my mind about it, but I'll have to go extremely easy on the trigger, that's for sure.

For me Musc Ravageur is OK in most of it's notes, but I too detect something that does set well with me. Hanae Mori was mentioned in an above post and at first spraying it on I find it offensive, but drydown is better. I like Noir Epices (lasts very long on me), but wish it were a tad more masculine (stronger spiced?).

If you want to stay in the FM family you might try Cologne Bigarade. I have not tried it, but know a few people who think it is FM's best scent (but that is their opinion).