Code of Conduct

Thread: I have a theory

Default I have a theory

I have a theory

I was talking to a friend (female) about guys going to clubs to pick up women. During part on the conversation, she brought up that for most females, a males look is much more of a pass or fail than a “oh he’s an 8.5, oh he’s a 9.3" type of deal. And that most males who dress with some form of style are attractive. Its not until you judge “them” in a group that you see the detail scores.

So this got me to thinking. Do females use this same pass/fail system with fragrances? Like, its either good or bad, and its not “rated” until it is compared with another frag. So, lets say you go to a bar and you’re wearing, say M7. There is one more person at the bar, he’s wearing axe body spray. Smelling individually, the axe fails and the M7 passes. But there is no ranking done my the female. Its not until she can experience more frags to consider your M7 as the best.

So, my theory is that, most fragrances do in fact pass the female smell test, but its not until they compare a group of fragrances that you get the degree of pass or fail

Thoughts?

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: I have a theory

I have a theory that when men try to create consistent rules for how women make decisions, they are likely to be disappointed. Other than that, it's a reasonable theory for men or women. If I don't like a fragrance, why would I care if it's a 0.7 or a 2.2?

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of the numerical system for rating the looks of women either.

most of the times i realized that women appreciate the frags i usually like less,i.e last days i was at the hospital working as always cos im a nurse ,a female patient asked me abut my frag cos she found it very sexy and attractive ,i weared azzaro for men i didnt even think that could be a very sexy frag ,i do have to say that i like it enough azzaro but i dont go crazy for it ,i generally prefer niche frags and even if women dont ask me about l'artisan,creed or many others they 're still my prefered i dont buy frags to attract women i simply buy them cos i love perfumes ,since i was a child i really loved perfumes and my dream would be a day to have a frag niche store,but i think it will always be my dream

We all need to honest with ourselves. In the pass/fail system - Axe is almost certainly a pass. Axe doesn't smell "bad" but it kinda smells cheap (which it is). Used in moderation I'm certain Axe will get a "MMMMM..... You smell good" out of more women than we'd like to admit. Granted - a guy who bathes in Axe smells gross.

So I propose a theory for successfully navigating the pass/fail system:

If you are wearing something cheap, pedestrian, or really aqua/ozonic (I'll put both Axe here, but also AdG, Polo Blue, etc.) then a little hint for when a girl gets close if all you should wear. Probably the more "challenging" scents like Dzing should be treated the same way. You should be able to get by on a "pass" even if the scent isn't great because a little bit of anything is pleasent. (I admit that putting the "aqua-bombs" here might reflect my personal bias that they can be headache inducing. I'm assuming too much gives others headaches too).

If you are wearing a frag that is beautiful, full, classy, rich, or otherwise worth showing off - then go a little stronger and use it's "attention getter" capability. You know it would be a "pass" if you play it conservative, so put yourself out there a little when you are confident in the scent. This is your M7. Its almost impossible not to generate some sillage with M7 anyway, so go ahead and use that sillage.

Finally, don't bath in anything, whether its Axe or M7 or (enter your favorite fragrance here). Thats a garanteed "fail."

I like Polo Blue
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I bathe in Geir :-[ I can't help it, it smells so good and women love it on me.
    Same with Jaipur EDP.
    What I like to do is hang out with the girls that pass me and forget about the ones that fail me. I am always on the hunt for a frag that will bring them runnin'

I use my doggies as a pass/fail system. Before retiring, I spray on a scent and we all get into bed. If they like what I am wearing, they snuggle up real close to my chest and head. If they don't, they migrate towards the foot of the bed; the farther away they move, the less they like the scent.

This is a fail safe system for me.

I suppose you could substitute "chicks" for "dogs" but then again, getting "chicks" into bed is the whole point of these posts so... nevermind.

Griff
    Griff

Why So Serious?

My theory is simple, just wear Polo Blue at least twice a week. This is probably not even a theory, just a statement, o well.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium
    most of the times i realized that women appreciate the frags i usually like less,i.e last days *i was *at the hospital working as always cos im a nurse ,a female patient asked me abut my frag cos she found it very sexy and attractive ,i weared azzaro for men i didnt even think that could be a very sexy frag ,i do have to say that i like it enough azzaro but i dont *go crazy for it ,i generally prefer niche frags *and even if women dont ask me about l'artisan,creed or many others they 're still my prefered i dont buy frags to attract women i simply buy them cos i love perfumes *,since i was a child i really loved perfumes and my dream would be a day to have a *frag niche store,but i think it will always be my dream
    Always follow your dreams dude, good luck!
    Let your nose be your pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    I use my doggies as a pass/fail system. Before retiring, I spray on a scent and we all get into bed. If they like what I am wearing, they snuggle up real close to my chest and head. If they don't, they migrate towards the foot of the bed; the farther away they move, the less they like the scent.

I suppose you could substitute "chicks" for "dogs" but then again, getting "chicks" into bed is the whole point of these posts so... nevermind.

Griff
    This got me thinking... What if I already knew that a girl (whom I recently met and was an "old-fashion" type) did not like a particular scent. Would I be considered "evil" if I were to spray some of that scent on my neck, in the hope of having her "migrate" toward the foot of the bed? *8-) ;D

My theory is all women are psycho, it's just the degree of psycho that varies. (Don't worry, ladies, I'm sure it applies to men too.)

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    [quote author=Griff link=1138800127/0#6 date=1138817460]I use my doggies as a pass/fail system. Before retiring, I spray on a scent and we all get into bed. If they like what I am wearing, they snuggle up real close to my chest and head. If they don't, they migrate towards the foot of the bed; the farther away they move, the less they like the scent.

Griff
    This got me thinking... What if I already knew that a girl (whom I recently met and was an "old-fashion" type) did not like a particular scent. Would I be considered "evil" if I were to spray some of that scent on my neck, in the hope of having her "migrate" toward the foot of the bed? *8-) ;D

[/quote]

All depends on the reason you want her at the foor of the bed[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    [quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/0#9 date=1138848997][quote author=Griff link=1138800127/0#6 date=1138817460]I use my doggies as a pass/fail system. Before retiring, I spray on a scent and we all get into bed. If they like what I am wearing, they snuggle up real close to my chest and head. If they don't, they migrate towards the foot of the bed; the farther away they move, the less they like the scent.

Griff

[/quote]

All depends on the reason you want her at the foor of the bed[smiley=thumbsup.gif][/quote]

Now you're talking ;D
    I shall name this technique after its creator: "The Griff Whiff" *(LOL)

No, we don't rate smells. Nor men. Well, I don't, anyway. There either is chemistry, or not. Then again, I'm old enough to have erred and learned, so it's basically a one-glance thing for me now. Seriously, I can tell from one glance if I'm interested or not, and it has nothing to do with physical qualities.

Same with fragrances. We either like it, or not. And if a guy smells too strongly - whether or not I like the fragrance - I run. One wonders what he's trying to hide.

To the gentlemen referring to the foot of the bed - that is definitely not the best smelling part of it. Most women leave the bed completely rather than sleep there. [hint-hint, nudge-nudge]
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    ...To the gentlemen referring to the foot of the bed - that is definitely not the best smelling part of it. *Most women leave the bed completely rather than sleep there. *[hint-hint, nudge-nudge]
    I was referring to the other "foot"! [hint-hint, nudge-nudge]

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/0#13 date=1138853587]
    ...To the gentlemen referring to the foot of the bed - that is definitely not the best smelling part of it. Most women leave the bed completely rather than sleep there. [hint-hint, nudge-nudge]
    I was referring to the other "foot"! [hint-hint, nudge-nudge] [/quote]

I think both could be construed as "not the best smelling part."

I'm a guy, but I still either like or dislike a fragrance. There isn't too much of a rating system for me.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/0#13 date=1138853587]
    ...To the gentlemen referring to the foot of the bed - that is definitely not the best smelling part of it. Most women leave the bed completely rather than sleep there. [hint-hint, nudge-nudge]

Sprinkle diamonds around it. You can't miss. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    [quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/0#14 date=1138854210]

I was referring to the other "foot"! [hint-hint, nudge-nudge]

I think both could be construed as "not the best smelling part." [/quote]

<insert silly giggles here>
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

[quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/0#14 date=1138854210][quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/0#13 date=1138853587]
    ...To the gentlemen referring to the foot of the bed - that is definitely not the best smelling part of it. *Most women leave the bed completely rather than sleep there. *[hint-hint, nudge-nudge]

Sprinkle diamonds around it. *You can't miss. * ;D[/quote]

LOL... Thanks, but I think I'll use the Griff Whiff technique for now -- it's easier on my pocket book *

I think some fragrances DO deserve second chances; some can become great if given enough time. However, it is instinctual of us to make a snap judgement on whether something smells good or not, which usually means a "bad" fragrance with potential has a lot of work to do.

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/15#16 date=1138854843][quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/0#14 date=1138854210][quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/0#13 date=1138853587]

Sprinkle diamonds around it. You can't miss. ;D[/quote]

LOL... Thanks, but I think I'll use the Griff Whiff technique for now -- it's easier on my pocket book
    [/quote]
    See, that's the problem with men. You never listen to women, and we're full of great tips! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    [quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/0#14 date=1138854210][quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/0#13 date=1138853587]

I think both could be construed as "not the best smelling part." *
    [/quote]

Are you kidding?
    There is a whole industry revolving around the use of Pheromones in scents to attract mates.
    I recall reading somewhere that apparently it was (still is?) customery in some Italian villages where men would offer their own naturally "scented" handkerchief to the women they admired after a hard day of work. Imagine that? ....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Crononaut
    I think some fragrances DO deserve second chances; some can become great if given enough time. However, it is instinctual of us to make a snap judgement on whether something smells good or not, which usually means a "bad" fragrance with potential has a lot of work to do.
    My theory is that there are very, very few truly disgusting fragrances (not naming names, what if someone uses them) - particularly male ones. The key is in usage. And if a guy doesn't know how to use cologne, I'd rather he just stay away from it altogether. But that's just me.

For example, I adore Obsession, but find very few people can wear it. So when I say that a guy wearing Obsession smells horrible to me, it's not the fragrance, it's lack of skills.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

[quote author=Informer link=1138800127/15#15 date=1138854632]

I think both could be construed as "not the best smelling part."

Are you kidding?
    [/quote]
    That's only because you can smell that part from...shall we say...a safe distance. :
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Gator, it's all about preference. Besides overall appearance, frags will also have a specific appeal to a certain woman. Like how a woman would prefer a man wearing jeans and a t-shirt over another wearing a dress shirt and slacks. Same with frags, some like the Acqua di Gio type, and others will go for the Gucci Envy type.

All I can say the allure of a man is all in the chemistry and charisma. Basing attraction in a scientific sense is just sport with no warranted guarantee.

If M7 makes you feel good about yourself, then you couldn't possibly be anything wrong to attract another.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

[quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/15#21 date=1138855996][quote author=Informer link=1138800127/15#15 date=1138854632]

I think both could be construed as "not the best smelling part." *

Are you kidding?
    [/quote]
    That's only because you can smell that part from...shall we say...a safe distance. *:[/quote]

There are those in the fragrance industry*(and everyday people) that would argue otherwise. *

There are those in the fragrance industry (and everyday people) that would argue otherwise.
    Whatever happened to "never argue with a woman"?!?!?!
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

[quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/15#25 date=1138857126]

There are those in the fragrance industry (and everyday people) that would argue otherwise. *
    Whatever happened to "never argue with a woman"?!?!?! [/quote]

They must have thought that that rule had somehow "migrated toward the foot of the bed" (refer to Griff's post for detail) ... LOL

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/15#26 date=1138857406]

They must have thought that that rule had somehow "migrated toward the foot of the bed" (refer to Griff's post for detail) ... LOL
    [/quote]
    Ah! It's just yet another way to shut us up! ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

[quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/15#27 date=1138857707][quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/15#26 date=1138857406]

[/quote]
    Ah! *It's just yet another way to shut us up! * ;D
    [/quote]

Why would you want to talk in bed? *;D ;D ;D ;D (LOL... just kidding)
    By the way, welcome to the Basenotes. It's really nice to see you participating in the Men's forum.

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/15#28 date=1138858043][quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/15#27 date=1138857707][quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/15#26 date=1138857406]

[/quote]
    Ah! It's just yet another way to shut us up! ;D
    [/quote]

Why would you want to talk in bed? ;D ;D ;D ;D (LOL... just kidding)
    By the way, welcome to the Basenotes. It's really nice to see you participating in the Men's forum.
    [/quote]
    Why, thank you, Kind Sir. I have a <blush> fetish for male scents and male sweaters. I'm strange. Very strange.

Hope I'm not breaking any customs participating in the male section. Being a female, I naturally gravitate to where the testosterone is. It's a curse! ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Why, thank you, Kind Sir. *I have a <blush> fetish for male scents and male sweaters. *I'm strange. *Very strange.
    Hope I'm not breaking any customs participating in the male section. *Being a female, I naturally gravitate to where the testosterone is. *It's a curse! * ;D

Your curse appears to be our blessing!
    I for one am very happy to see you in our midst, and look forward to reading your posts.
    If I may ask, what are your favorite men fragrance?

Your curse appears to be our blessing!
    I for one am very happy to see you in our midst, and look forward to reading your posts.
    If I may ask, what are your favorite men fragrance?[/size]
    I go completely bonkers for Baldessarini, I can see myself following that scent in a almost-zombielike state, salivating; the original Drakkar is a long-lost love; Obsession, when properly used (a rare, rare occasion); Polo Blue is nice. I recently discovered Chevignon's Che, and love the drydown - it's similar to Pi, but much, much softer (I like Pi, but find it a tad too strong). Of course, Che is also discontinued. Drat.

Also among my favorites: Aramis, Chanel Pour Monsieur, and (please don't throw stones at me) the original Paco Rabanne and the original Adolfo. I don't know what it is about those last two, but I really like them for some strange reason.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

I go completely bonkers for Baldessarini, I can see myself following that scent in a almost-zombielike state, salivating; the original Drakkar is a long-lost love; Obsession, when properly used (a rare, rare occasion); Polo Blue is nice. *I recently discovered Chevignon's Che, and love the drydown - it's similar to Pi, but much, much softer (I like Pi, but find it a tad too strong). *Of course, Che is also discontinued. *Drat.

Also among my favorites: *Aramis, Chanel Pour Monsieur, and (please don't throw stones at me) the original Paco Rabanne and the original Adolfo. *I don't know what it is about those last two, but I really like them for some strange reason.
    Incredible, you seem to be attracted to all the "power" scents. Fragrances that I'd consider to be classic, with strong character. Out of your list, I also admire the Aramis, Paco Rabanne, and the Pour Monsieur. And just like you, I love Baldessarini so much that I not only have the regular EDT version, but also the Concentree version as well (same scent, twice the lasting power).
    Haven't tried the Chevignon Che yet.

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/30#32 date=1138860603]I go completely bonkers for Baldessarini, I can see myself following that scent in a almost-zombielike state, salivating; the original Drakkar is a long-lost love; Obsession, when properly used (a rare, rare occasion); Polo Blue is nice. I recently discovered Chevignon's Che, and love the drydown - it's similar to Pi, but much, much softer (I like Pi, but find it a tad too strong). Of course, Che is also discontinued. Drat.

Also among my favorites: Aramis, Chanel Pour Monsieur, and (please don't throw stones at me) the original Paco Rabanne and the original Adolfo. I don't know what it is about those last two, but I really like them for some strange reason.
    Incredible, you seem to be attracted to all the "power" scents. Fragrances that I'd consider to be classic, with strong character. Out of your list, I also admire the Aramis, Paco Rabanne, and the Pour Monsieur. And just like you, I love Baldessarini so much that I not only have the regular EDT version, but also the Concentree version as well (same scent, twice the lasting power).
    Haven't tried the Chevignon Che yet.
    [/quote]
    That's because that's the way I like men - classic, with strong character. I don't go for pretty boys much. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

That's because that's the way I like men - classic, with strong character. * I don't go for pretty boys much. *;D
    Woman of my dreams....

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/30#34 date=1138863360]
    That's because that's the way I like men - classic, with strong character. I don't go for pretty boys much. ;D
    Woman of my dreams.... [/quote]
    Yup. If I were a guy, I'd want one just like me. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

[quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/30#35 date=1138863663][quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/30#34 date=1138863360]
    That's because that's the way I like men - classic, with strong character. * I don't go for pretty boys much. *;D
    Yup. *If I were a guy, I'd want one just like me. * ;D[/quote]

For my sake,*I'm happy you're not a guy! ;D

[quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/30#36 date=1138863722][quote author=godzilla link=1138800127/30#35 date=1138863663][quote author=FroFro link=1138800127/30#34 date=1138863360]
    Yup. If I were a guy, I'd want one just like me. ;D[/quote]

For my sake, I'm happy you're not a guy! ;D
    [/quote]
    So am I. Women have more perfumes to choose from. ;D

On that, I retire to my bedroom <insert appropriate visual here>.

It was great meeting you, and thanks for the great conversation! I'll see you around, I'm sure - knowing me, I'll frequent the male area. ;D
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Sweet dreams.... :-*