Code of Conduct

Default Odeur 53/Avignon/Miller et Bertaux...my new stuff

I just got back from the doctor. My vision was driving me nuts. I've had a grey "spot" when I look out of my right eye for three days and I was really worried about it. The doc said he thinks its just a stationary "floater" and he thinks it will go away in time. I hope. It's annoying!

But on the good side, I got a package today from Luckyscent. I had ordered a bottle of Avignon, a large bottle of Odeur 53, and a bottle of Miller et Bertaux #2 Spiritus/Land. Plus I got a sample of Ouarzazate- the ONE scent from the Incense series that I hadn't yet tried.

Opening up the Odeur 53 was fun. The big grey brick of a box that it came in- very cool. Then you open it up to find the bottle sealed inside an aluminum bag with writing on it

it says: TO CREATE AROUND YOU THE SMELL THAT YOU LIKE

and it goes down the bag in English and French, like film credits...

The Freshness of Oxygen
    Nail Polish
    Flash of Metal
    Cellulosic Smell
    Pure Air of the High Mountains
    Sand Dunes
    Fire Energy
    Ultimate Fusion
    Wash Drying in the Wind
    Burnt Rubber
    Mineral Intensity of Carbon
    Flaming Rock

I tested this against my mini, which had turned yellow. Much fresher. I think the mini had gone off, though it still smelled good- just different. The bottle is such a cool piece of art. I want it on my shelf, yet I'm afraid of exposing it to light and having it turn yellow like the mini did.

I'm glad to finally have a full bottle of Avignon. I find it completely wearable, and I've said alot about it on other threads. Heavy duty stuff. So black and serious smelling. I think I'm going to try to save this for special occasions. My next purchase will be Ouarzazate. It's something I could wear more day to day.

The Miller et Bertaux, I've been thinking about for a while. It WAS $100, but Luckyscent has it marked down to $65 so I jumped on it. I still can't make up my mind how I feel about it. Its so mysterious and a bit foody. Warm yet aloof. The bottle and packaging are very well done. I don't like the metal detailing around the spray-It seems a bit chintzy, but overall top notch conceptually. I like the little pebbles in the bottle. I'll have to see whether people like it or not. I like that not many Basenoters have this one. I also got a sample of Miller et Bertaux #1, which is supposed to be feminine- it's not bad, actually I could see myself wearing it. It smells something like cough syrup- but I like that.

OK. Done spending for a while.

Default Re: Odeur 53/Avignon/Miller et Bertaux...my new st

Hey Indie,
    I've been curious about the Miller et Bertaux #2 Spiritus/Land for some time now. Can you say a little more about it? From the description it sounded great but somewhat redundant with my spice-heavy wardrobe. Im resisting the purchase of Michael Kors (and Idole, and many others) at the moment, so this may be another tobacco/woods/spice bland I have to fight the urge to own...Dernit.
    And curse you all for posting about frags you love. How about some scathing reviews from time to time. I really breathe a sigh of relief when I hear that some new scent is mediocre.

I need a sponsor...
    Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Slim,

I'll send you a sample of the Miller et Bertaux #2 Spiritus/Land

Here's some more about it.

It's really a confounding scent. Easily one of the most odd, unique scents I've ever come across. I think it's very avant-garde for starters, but it also smells very "natural" to my nose. It's blended in such a way that I find it very difficult to pick apart different pieces of it. I guess you can take the finished scent and point to the notes somewhat, but going by just the notes, you won't be able to predict what the finished scent is going to smell like.

It does begin with a heavy dose of ginger like you get with sushi. So there is a sourness that blends into something sweet, off-white and buttery- not unlike coconut flesh. Only in the most abstract way, though. And something like the crust of a bread. Very dry and a bit dusty. Enter a slow rising stream of white incense smoke. And the spice is a bit chutney-like or curry-like (I'm no expert on Asian cookery, but the spices in this scent seem to be unlike those in most Western perfumers' pallets. There is also a kind of "allspice" note. There is some tobacco holding the base together. I can't pick out the rose note in there, but then again- i find the seams in this one hard to find.

The thing about this scent is that I can't seem to figure out which fragrance family to categorize it as. The overall effect of it is a bit dry yet sticky like a sweet pickle. I asked my brother what he thought of it and he really couldn't decide. I think its kind an incense-gourmand maybe. Not gourmand in the traditional way, but rather because of the pickled ginger and cooking spice character. Its clean, but kind of dirty as well. If I had to translate this scent into a piece of art- it would be this. A giant square print with colors running in vertical swaths. And the colors would be the following: White, off-white, flesh, beige, yellow, tan, and maybe two shades of light grey.

I don't know if I'll ever decide if I "like" this scent, but I just can't ever stop sniffing it. It just always makes me want to pick it up to smell it. Like I said, the packaging is really cool- it comes in a box that stands on little legs, and its all tied together with a twig. The bottle has two little glass pebbles that slide around on the bottom. Nicely done. I always wanted a bottle of this bit couldn't justify paying $100 for a scent I don't know if I can wear. $65 is much better. At this price I wonder if it's being discontinued. This is just unlike anything else in my drobe.

It's definitely a scent for a confident quiet rebel type. Kind of zen like and hard to define. Kind of dreamy. I've worn this around the house, but not out yet. One of the guys on here said Spiritus/Land was his wife's favorite scent on him, so that gives me some confidence to wear it out. Given your profile and what I know about you- I think it's possible this scent could work for you. Just make sure you post your assessment of it.

Later,

Indie

Overcome By Fumes

There's a little home/houseware gifts place in Charleston, SC, that carries soaps and home fragrances and exactly one set of fragrances for humans--the Miller et Bertaux line. I was there a couple months ago and found myself continually coming back to try the Spiritus/Land. I don't normally like wearing ginger too much but this had a slightly spicy warm/cool dichotomy that really kept my attention. The people I shared it with thought it was interesting too, but I still haven't made up my mind if it's a buy or not. Nice commentary, Indie.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Avignon! One of my all time faves. Scared some of my friends with this one as I smelled like a Catholic church!

:

i just noticed they sell odeur 53 in 200ml bottles instead of the huge 6.8oz ones

only 20$ too! pretty neat

edit: i just realized 200 ml is the huge size (can't think in metric :P)...is this for real? 6.8oz for $20?

Quote Originally Posted by wajt
    i just noticed they sell odeur 53 in 200ml bottles instead of the huge 6.8oz ones

only 20$ too! pretty neat

edit: i just realized 200 ml is the huge size (can't think in metric *:P)...is this for real? 6.8oz for $20?

it's a mistake. You have to either get the big (200 ml) or the small (15 ml)

When you do the math, the small is way overpriced. *But I just got the big bottle which is reasonable.

I wore Odeur 53 to work tonight. *I got a speeding ticket on the way- I was running late because i was probably trying to decide what frag to wear! *Actually it was the LAST day of the month and this stupid cop had to fill his quota. *What made me mad was I was going 72 in a 55...But this was on the "EXPRESS LANES!!! *What cops do is pick roads where they know the posted speed limit is set too low and does not fit the traffic flow and then they sit there nailing people. *Then its bad enough to pay the fine, but all the extra fines to keep points off one's driving record- its a freaking racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    I wore Odeur 53 to work tonight. I got a speeding ticket on the way- I was running late because i was probably trying to decide what frag to wear! Actually it was the LAST day of the month and this stupid cop had to fill his quota. What made me mad was I was going 72 in a 55...But this was on the "EXPRESS LANES!!! What cops do is pick roads where they know the posted speed limit is set too low and does not fit the traffic flow and then they sit there nailing people. Then its bad enough to pay the fine, but all the extra fines to keep points off one's driving record- its a freaking racket.
    No fragrance compliment that time, eh? ;D