Code of Conduct

Default sprays per unit volume

At the risk of being anal: Has anyone ever tried to estimate how many sprays one gets per ml of fragrance?

I expect there is some variance among pump mechanisms, and of course different fragrances need to be applied more liberally than others, but a sprays-per-unit-volume factor would allow one to calculate roughly the number of applications per unit currency.

OK, you can mock me now. :-X
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Default Re: sprays per unit volume

i think i read a topic like this before on these boards and i remember the number 300 being put out (although this could be completely wrong). id assume thats for a 1.7, but again i might not be remembering correctly

of course, you could always figure it out approximately by how much you yourself use; id say it takes maybe 10 months to waste a 1.7oz, so going at 1 spray a day that would be around 280 sprays/1.7oz, or a little less than 3 sprays per ml

Quote Originally Posted by wajt
    i think i read a topic like this before on these boards and i remember the number 300 being put out (although this could be completely wrong). id assume thats for a 1.7, but again i might not be remembering correctly

of course, you could always figure it out approximately by how much you yourself use; id say it takes maybe 10 months to waste a 1.7oz, so going at 1 spray a day that would be around 280 sprays/1.7oz, or a little less than 3 sprays per ml
    I tried to search for such a thread, but terms like "sprays" and "ml" yielded too many irrelevant results.

So is your recollection 300 sprays per 1.7-oz (50-ml) bottle? This would be about 6 sprays per ml, which is close to my initial rough estimate of 10 sprays per ml. I have reason to believe my estimate is high; I suspect the average is probably closer to 6.

By my calculation, 10 months for a 1.7-oz bottle equates to about 5 ml per month. At one spray per day that's actually 6 sprays per ml (once again).

I know a little about decanting from which I can answer your question. It depends on the output of your bottle's spray mechanism, but a 1ml vial can usually be filled with anywhere from 7 to 12 sprays, the average being around 9 or 10. Trust me on this one; I've done it thousands of times.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [color=#0000cc]
    I know a little about decanting from which I can answer your question. It depends on the output of your bottle's spray mechanism, but a 1ml vial can usually be filled with anywhere from 7 to 12 sprays, the average being around 9 or 10. Trust me on this one; I've done it thousands of times.
    I trust you completely. One of these days, not long from now, I have a feeling you'll be spraying into a few vials for me.

So it turns out my rough estimate of 10 sprays per ml was pretty good! Here's how I did it:

I measured the diameter of a cylindrical sample spray vial (6 mm) and the height of the column in the vial (42 mm). Then, after 3 sprays, I measured the height of the column again (32 mm). Geometrically I calculated the difference was approximately 0.3 ml, ergo 0.1 ml per spray or 10 sprays per ml.

It's reassuring to know this is consistent with an expert's experience!

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    [quote author=scentemental link=1138758065/0#3 date=1138761155]
    I trust you completely. One of these days, not long from now, I have a feeling you'll be spraying into a few vials for me.

So it turns out my rough estimate of 10 sprays per ml was pretty good! Here's how I did it:

I measured the diameter of a cylindrical sample spray vial (6 mm) and the height of the column in the vial (42 mm). Then, after 3 sprays, I measured the height of the column again (32 mm). Geometrically I calculated the difference was approximately 0.3 ml, ergo 0.1 ml per spray or 10 sprays per ml.

It's reassuring to know this is consistent with an expert's experience![/quote]

LOL,

You've got to love the ingenuity of human beings.

My experience-based knowledge is caveman stuff compared to your sophisiticated empirical observations and calculations. It nice to see that we both arrived at the same number, though.

I am please to make your acquaintance d4; welcome to the board.

Best regards,

scentemental

Yep, that explains why it takes about a year to go through a 100ml bottle for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    [quote author=scentemental link=1138758065/0#3 date=1138761155][color=#0000cc]

It's reassuring to know this is consistent with an expert's experience![/quote]

This man has a future! [smiley=beer.gif]
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    This man has a future! [smiley=beer.gif]
    A past, too; but never mind that. :-X