Code of Conduct

Default New Mens Scent YSL this year?

There's an interesting interview on Moodyreport with Chantal Roos of YSL parfums. I copied a piece of it with some interesting facts considering her view on YSL mens scents. She says Kouros is still their best selling scent (and M7 not ?) and there will be a new mens scent release in the second half of this year:

In addition to Stella, Roos will be focusing her attention on another important market segment this year – men.

“In the second half there will be a major men’s fragrance launch from Yves Saint Laurent,” she reveals. “With Cinéma we have worked hard on women, and indeed that’s where we have always been strongest.

“But now it is time to work on men, because we are still living on Kouros, which was launched 25 years ago.”

Given the way the sector is growing, does Roos also have designs on the men’s skincare market too? “That’s still a very small, marginal market,” she responds. “And unless you have real credibility in the men’s market, and also in skincare, there’s no point.

“You also have to invest a lot in such launches,” Roos continues. “For YSL, we have other things to do before we consider that. We have to really re-establish ourselves on the men’s [fragrance] market first, because frankly we are a little bit out of it…Kouros is still our number one men’s line for example, but in most countries you will not see it anywhere in the top 20.

“Opium for Men and M7 are also small numbers. So we have to make a successful re-entry into the men’s arena, because we have been absent for too long.”

Another area where YSL Beauté is conspicuous by its absence is the celebrity fragrance sector – although in this instance, it is by choice, not chance.

"Our goal with fragrance is to help perpetuate the name [of the designer] for as long as we can."

YSL prefers to invest in brand-builiding, not celebrity-endorsed launches. Roos, however, keeps an open mind about it
    The eye-catching ad visual for designer Alexander McQueen's second feminine fragrance, called MyQueen
    “It is not something that we are considering,” says Roos firmly. “I am not excited by celebrity launches, to tell you the truth. Every time there’s a new one, the previous one is -65%. I look [at what’s out there], but it doesn’t influence me.” She shrugs: “Maybe it should.

“I applaud the way Chanel has revived No 5 with Nicole Kidman. It was well done, and sales were up +25% in the US last year. But they have always had famous faces, such as Catherine Deneuve, Carole Bouquet or Vanessa Paradis. And it’s still Chanel No 5, not a Nicole Kidman fragrance, which is an important difference.”

She continues: “It frightens me that the celebrity would become more popular than the fragrance itself. And who knows whether such scents will last any longer than the celebrity’s career, which is often quite short nowadays.”

But Roos accepts that one size does not fit all. “Some people are doing [the celebrity thing] quite well,” she concedes. “They are not building a brand for ever, it’s all about the moment. It’s about promoting a product for now or next year, and then starting again with a new one. It is another way of doing fragrance.

Default Re: New Mens Scent YSL this year?

So, anything not in the top 20 of sales is a failure. Sigh! Goodbye M7, Opium PH, Jazz, Rive Gauche. Hello to YSL Black Aqua - a modern marine scent, guaranteed to be barely noticable and offend no one.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Really looking forward to this...Even though I don't think they'll succeed any more on the mass markets with their new release - their perfumes are too daring for a common man to sell like all of those AdG-clones..

Does anyone know their e-mail address for Europe, btw?

Quote Originally Posted by keeg
    You can try to mail YSL parfums through the M7 website. There's a "contact" section on it.

http://www.ysl-m7.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    So, anything not in the top 20 of sales is a failure. Sigh! Goodbye M7, Opium PH, Jazz, Rive Gauche. Hello to YSL Black Aqua - a modern marine scent, guaranteed to be barely noticable and offend no one.
    golden words. i agree 100%
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    [quote author=dcampen link=1138402344/0#1 date=1138403047]So, anything not in the top 20 of sales is a failure. Sigh! Goodbye M7, Opium PH, Jazz, Rive Gauche. Hello to YSL Black Aqua - a modern marine scent, guaranteed to be barely noticable and offend no one.
    [/quote]
    I wouldn't think they'll do it if they didn't put a star face on Cinéma during a period of adiorable Charlizes, living JLo, true starring Beyoncés and eternally Scarlets...
    If they will, I'll tear my (YSL) dresses! ;D

Ms. Roos should take a good long hard look at YSL's PR department and get some one new to head it.

The reason most of their men's scents fail is the poor launching they get. M7 never had a launch at Macy or Nordstrom it just one day appeared their on the shelf. The same was with Opium Pour Homme.

More advertisment is need and instore displays get people excitied about the scent .....for pete's sake push the fragrance.

The only company that really does a good job of this is Givenchy they really go all out. Gosh when VI for men was launched the whole Macy's store was decked out even the lights in so areas were Green. Women were very where around the store dress in Givenchy spraying cards and giving samples. They even had a station when you could sample the diffrent notes that make up the scent.

Thats what you call a launch and the product just flew off the shelfs.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    [quote author=keeg link=1138402344/0#2 date=1138403155]
    You can try to mail YSL parfums through the M7 website. There's a "contact" section on it.

http://www.ysl-m7.com/ [/quote]

Thanks, but it was only a registration-form.. I've checked their official site too...
    Anyone?

Looking forward to it as well. I can't say I will buy any YSL, but I will try any YSL.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

You definitely need advertising. When I worked in retail, you could tell what had been advertised and what had not been. People would say things like "I had been putting it off", "I didn't realize it was out", "I forgot about it completely","I didn't realize it was as affordable","I was looking to treat myself or it's someone's birthday and I don't know what to get","I saw the ad and my friend and I started talking",etc.
    I don't know what Cinema is like, but a Scarlett launch would be cool. I don't know the demographics though, and would think that they couldn't go younger than Charlize. Charlize though hasn't been doing roles that bring to mind sophistication. I'll have to think on this awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    [quote author=dcampen link=1138402344/0#1 date=1138403047]So, anything not in the top 20 of sales is a failure. Sigh! Goodbye M7, Opium PH, Jazz, Rive Gauche. Hello to YSL Black Aqua - a modern marine scent, guaranteed to be barely noticable and offend no one.
    [/quote]

Ugh...I hope that doesnt happen. Ysl is my favorite fragrance house not because I like every offering but because they have never given in to the temptation to make a scent that is just kind of there and doesnt say anything.

Let me guess? Cinéma pour Homme? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    and I can see Brad Pitt as the Celeb face to launch the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric

and i would be happy if it were Yvress pou Homme
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel