Code of Conduct

Default Opium for Women vs. Youth Dew vs. Cinnabar

I've resolved that these frags run close to each other, Cinnabar running closest in similarity to Opium IMO. While Opium has the best balance and IMO a better composition, I'm curious why others would perhaps prefer Youth Dew or Cinnabar. Opium I think is the more masculine and interesting of the three...YOUR THOUGHTS???

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Opium for Women vs. Youth Dew vs. Cinnabar

I never smelled the other two but Opium for Women is a masterpiece!

I have to agree, Opium is a heady wonderful experience. I have only sniffed Cinnabar and Youth Dew from the bottle and never tried them on the skin.

The very first time I smelled Opium for Women I was mesmerized and captivated by this intoxicating scent. I kept sniffing and sniffing because up to that point I had never ever smelled anything like it. I thought what a triumph for YSL...My Ex-girfriend only wears this scent and when Opium Eau d'Ete came out she was beside herself because now she could wear this in the summer months.

Youth Dew...well it's ok and Cinnabar has a slight attraction for me but it's Opium that wins hands down...What a Gem...

Live Life,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

I agree completely with Otto.

I was 12 in 1978 and my neighbor wore Opium at my dads party. Holy smokes! I was blown away. She was an Italian lady and the scent complimented her olive skin and dark hair perfectly. Opium is an opulent, rich fragrance. To this day it still smells modern and unique. It's one of my top 5 womens fragrances of all time.

Anyway, back to your topic. I think Cinnabar and Youth Dew have more in common with each other. Youth Dew being a little more floral and dry. It's the quitesential old lady scent.

I would say if comparing fragrances then J.H.L. is most similar to Youth Dew and Cinnabar. In fact, not to long ago, while wearing JHL, a co worker said "your cologne reminds me of my grandma". Ouch!!

I have tried Opium several times and try as i might, i cant make myself like it. Also, i have heard alot of basenoters say it is very masculine. I dont see that either....to floral. Cinnabar and Youth Dew are another story. Cinnabar is, to me anyway, an exact copy of JHL......just stronger so its definitely a scent a guy can wear. Youth Dew is a very dark, intense fragrance. I dont find it floral in the least. On my skin it smells like caramel incense. I can see Endora from Bewitched wearing it or even Anton Levay....the founder of the church of satan.
    Awesomeguy

None of these works for me. Of the three, however, Opium is the best-developed. The Lauder products strike me as clumsy and lumbering and very heavy-handed in an artificial and old-fashioned way. Whereas in Opium there is quite a bit of nuance, once one gets by the false gender confusion hallmark to the scent, Cinnabar and Youth Dew leave nothing to the imagination. There seems to be too much of a directed sexuality about Cinnabar in particular, as if the point must be knocked home by dredging in (obviously synthetic) cinnamon. Youth Dew reminds me of an oil gusher, or an oil-rich economy of big taste, big steaks, big pointed boobs. I think what was intended there was not an expression of overblown femininity, but one of declared luxury and "taste," running counter to any perceived implication that would suggest that delicacy and restraint are the true signifiers of elegance.

Definitely Opium. Cinnabar is too dry and stuffy and YD is just too....too. People complained on the rare occasions when I wore it - even lightly. Opium in pure parfum is really nice. The dry oil spray starts ok but dries down to Old Spice on my skin - eh. I've never tried the body cream but I hear it's great because the orange not really comes out to play.

I agree with you, sharilstuff, the parfum is second to none. It smells like pure attar compared to the EdT which smells fine at first, but then smells like the rug was pulled out from under it after a couple of hours. Sadly the parfum is hard to find at a reasonable price...runs almost twice as much compared to when it was available in the 80s.

As an afterthought I kinda think I also smell the vanillic properties as SL Douce Amere and naturally the spicy nature in FM Noir Epices in it as well.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    *Youth Dew is a very dark, intense fragrance. *I dont find it floral in the least. * On my skin it smells like caramel incense. * *I can see Endora from Bewitched wearing it or even Anton Levay....the founder of the church of satan. *
    Hot Damn! *No wonder my first girlfriend liked it so much.

Next time I want true love, I really must invoke a different deity.

Opium for women is, as previously mentioned, a masterpiece---and something no wicked, decadent girl should be without.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

HI,

For my aunt, Opium has been her one and only perfume from the very beginning, and wouldn't consider wearing any other. Now that it's been reformulated I wonder if these opinions would be any different. Thanks.

Although these fragrances are pretty far from the masuline mainstream, I'd say that there's still a good chance a man could wear either Opium or Cinnabar successfully... as long as the dose was kept low. They're both spicy and much less floral than Youth Dew.

Sadly, the scent of Youth Dew always reminds me of baby lotion or some kind of female hygeine product. Of course, the fragrance itself doesn't have boobs, but if wear Youth Dew, people might just be checking to see if you have a pair.

OK, maybe that seemed harsh. But if your dog walked in unnoticed and smelled like bacon cooking, you wouldn't be think of the dog, you would be thinking about breakfast. That's the power of association.