Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Egoiste vs. Musc Ravageur: help me decide!

Ok, I know you're gonna say I should own both of them, but can you help me with my next purchase?
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste vs. Musc Ravageur: help me deci

I have not tried the musc juice, but I can tell you that Ego rocks when it comes to compliments and sits well on me without the headhache. You can't go wrong with Egoiste.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I love both scents, but MR to me is totally indispenable. It has permanent residence in my top 5.

egoiste is my favorite (also ysl opium) oriental evening fragrance. i never tried musc ravageur. i' ve found that it is oriental fragrance too. and it is very expencive : at les senteurs it cost 50ml.- 62£. very expencive. is it really good? worth that money?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I would without hestiation go with Musc Ravageur. For me it was an aquired taste though and it has taken me several tries before I finally fell in love. It always found it intruiging, but there was also something in it that scared me shxxless.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I would without hestiation go with Musc Ravageur.
    Ditto.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

This is like comparing a hot bartender to an international supermodel. Musc Ravageur is simply peerless, and a mere whiff turns women into salivating sex hounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by headcoat
    This is like comparing a hot bartender to an international supermodel. Musc Ravageur is simply peerless, and a mere whiff turns women into salivating sex hounds.

*salivating after catching the scent* :P

Chanel Bois des Iles is much smoother and more complex than Egoiste but FM Musc Ravageur is TRULY peerless...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Alright already!!!!!
    Now where do we score some of this nectar of the gods??? (The Musc Ravageur that is)

Quote Originally Posted by sqboy1
    Alright already!!!!!
    Now where do we score some of this nectar of the gods??? (The Musc Ravageur that is)

My advice? Go to the Malle website and e-mail them a request for a sample of MR. They are great at sending samples.
    It is wonderful stuff. Top 5, and one I could not live without.
    Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Great advice, Slim! I have never heard of MR and cleary I should know it, at least sample it because of the positive feedback. I'm grateful to find this place! MM
    Peace ~ Markymark

Not to ruffle any feathers but I find MR *much too soft, sweet and feminine.

( despite its great drydown )

This is probably a good thing if you like YSL Opium for men, * Etro's Heliotrope, or wish for a scent that makes M7 macho by comparison. *:-X

I much prefer Serge Luten's MKK.

To each his own, *enjoy.

Cheers,

Mario.

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

This is a no brainer for me. I like Musc Ravageur, although I have to admit it's a very "thick" fragrance that can wear you down after you've worn it for 4-5 hours.

Egoiste, on the other hand, is one of the greatest fragrances for men ever created IMO. "Masterpiece" is an understatement when it comes to describing this one. Really a fragrance created by a genius.

I have to say that I haven`t got the chance to smell MR (I`m ordering a sample), but the juice has to be damn good if it beats Egoiste.
    Egoiste is one of those scents, that I actually can`t understand anyone not loving. It is so exeptonal Oriental, so sexy, so wearable. It has a great quality (very deep, very nuanced), and it lasts forever. I love every minute of it`s long duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    I have to say that I haven`t got the chance to smell MR (I`m ordering a sample), but the juice has to be damn good if it beats Egoiste.
    Egoiste is one of those scents, that I actually can`t understand anyone not loving. It is so exeptonal Oriental, so sexy, so wearable. It has a great quality (very deep, very nuanced), and it lasts forever. I love every minute of it`s long duration.
    I love Egoiste, as well....but is not long lasting on my skin!!! WHY???? :-? Am I the only one who find this great scent not very long lasting???? : :-?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Jacques Polge created Egoiste. He also created the incredible Coco for Chanel. If I were running Chanel, I wouldn't let someone who's responsible for both Egoiste and Coco go at any cost. The guy has a genius nose! He's made two of the most incredible perfumes of modern times.

I love Egoiste, as well....but is not long lasting on my skin!!! Sad WHY???? Huh Am I the only one who find this great scent not very long lasting???? Roll Eyes Huh

These lasting issues are such a big mystery. Okey, we have different types of skin, and obviously chemistry plays a big part - for real. It`s strange though, and sometimes hard to believe. But for example, if someone tells me that A*Men doesn`t last on him, then I don`t have a choice but believe him. (or think he`s a grazy liar) :P

I just cannot tell why Egoiste won`t last on you. On me it`s easily 10hours+ fragrance. And you know, by the time it just gets better and better.

Btw, verve, I agree with you what comes to Mr. Polge: He`s a master like no other, and I respect his creations, including Coco.

Musc Ravaguer is in my top five.

Hola Gus!
    I indeed like very much both of 'em, and without doubt they're both masterpieces done by two genius of perfumery (Polge, Roucel)!!!
    Indeed both are very longlasting generally (on me too) and have great sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by innamoramento
    I love Egoiste, as well....but is not long lasting on my skin!!! WHY???? :-? Am I the only one who find this great scent not very long lasting????:-?
    I don't really know why on you Egoiste isn't longlasting; maybe your skin burns faster some notes rather than other (my skin does it with citrus notes for example)... It's up to body heat and skin chem I suppose...

However about what to choose, it depends on what you're looking for. Egoiste is like an handsome dude that charmingly acts like a real hearthbreaker... But Musc Ravageur is like the same dude that also dares a bit more...

MR is better in my opinion.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Musc Ravageur! It is JUST wonderful. My husband and I both use it. I think it is a bit more unique as well.

Damn, if Musc Ravageur crushes Chanel Egoiste, I MUST seek it out and see what all the hype is about. This is coming from a guy who LOVES Egoiste. ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Egoiste is like an handsome dude that charmingly acts like a real hearthbreaker... But Musc Ravageur is like the same dude that also dares a bit more...
    And that with persistence ! ;D

Very well said Magnif! I must say that I do not get much lifetime from Egoiste either, which is the only reason I abstain from buying it. MuskR lasts about 5 times longer on me!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

i love egoiste. but i haven't tryed musc ravageur. so i wrote to frederic malle. i told them about this discussion and said that i really want to try musc ravageur. they replyed to me. i left them address. so i think they are sending me sample of musc ravageur( also noir espice).
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Finally, after much pondering, I have decided to purchase Chanel Egoiste. Mainly for availability reasons, but also because I just couldn't resist to test it every time I walked into a perfume shop, and that must mean something. I admit it doesn't last for long, but while it lasts it's just gorgeus!

I am also happy that this thread has helped some people to discover the outstanding Musc Ravageur, it will remain in my wish list for sure!

Thank you everyone for your help.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Finally, after much pondering, I have decided to purchase Chanel Egoiste. Mainly for availability reasons, but also because I just couldn't resist to test it every time I walked into a perfume shop, and that must mean something. I admit it doesn't last for long, but while it lasts it's just gorgeus!

I am also happy that this thread has helped some people to discover the outstanding Musc Ravageur, it will remain in my wish list for sure!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Good choice Gus! But how is it possible that it doens`t last on you..? I`m still confused about someone having lasting problems with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII
    so i wrote to frederic malle. i told them about this discussion and said that i really want to try musc ravageur. they replyed to me. i left them address. so i think they are sending me sample of musc ravageur( also noir espice).
    Where is the address that I may be able to write to? Many thanks in advance.
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

i filled up thier questionnaire

Do you have any particular desire at the moment? : I would
    very like to try your company's perfumes, especially Musc
    Ravageur. On the internet there is a discussion: one guy
    asks what to buy egoiste or musc ravageur. and most of guys
    advice musc ravageur:Musc Ravageur is simply
    peerless;Egoiste is like an handsome dude that charmingly
    acts like a real hearthbreaker... But Musc Ravageur is like
    the same dude that also dares a bit
    more...(http://www.basenotes.net/community/YaBB.pl?num=11376
    98004/0)

A perfume to do what? : I think that only "fresh" scent is
    boring. Shower gel also smells fresh. So that's why i think
    that perfume has to seduce, to impress. the most of all i
    like heavy, sweet, oriental, even a bit feminine scents.

A perfume for yourself, for another or for all others? : a
    perfume for myself. the concept as chanel egoiste (1990):
    "egoist as someone who pursues his passions to the limit
    without feeling the need to prove anything to those around
    him". but of course the opinion of the others is important
    (especially girls). Serge Lutens Miel de bois is a very
    interesting scent, but my mother and i think the greater
    part of people think that it's weird or even disgusting.

Which perfumes have most marked you? : i am 25. and
    perfumes is my passion for about 10 years. if i go to the
    center of the town, so i visit and perfume shop.
    perfumes which most marked me?
    from evening, impressive perfumes i love Chanel Egoiste and
    YSL Opium (eau de perfume).
    the most versatile and classic of all fragrances i would say
    is Chanel Pour monsieur (created in 1955)
    Le male is very good, but here, in Lithuania it is so
    popular that i do not use it anymore.
    to my mind the best perfume brand is chanel (and jaques
    polge is really genius)
    also i like guerlain, givenchy, ysl perfumes. but i dont
    like paco rabane, hugo boss, armani - most of their perfumes
    are trivial, not interesting and very similar.

What style clothing would you like to wear with this
    perfume? : in the morning, when i go to university i don't
    wear heavy, oriental perfumes. for example now i use in the
    mornings YSL kouros, vetiver frozen by guerlain. but in the
    evenings, when i go to theater, i like heavy scents. and
    depends on where i go another kind of clothes and perfume i
    wear

What are your favorite brands of clothing? : my favorite
    clothes store is MEXX. i think they sell good quality and
    nice clothes

How did you hear about us? : here, in Vilnius, capital of
    Lithuania you would not find Frederic Malle perfumes. i
    heared about your company and perfumes from
    http://www.basenotes.net/. it is internet site where people
    who love perfumes talk about paerfumes, share thier
    impressions, ask for an advice... and here i read about your
    company. about your exlusive perfumes, created by famous
    perfume makers.

AND THE RESPONSE FROM FREDERIC MALLE:

Thank you for your interest in our Editions de Parfums.

After reading you, I think you could love "Musc Ravageur".
    Nevertheless, if you were to come at one of our stores, I
    would also show you "Noir Epices".
    But if you are too far from us, do not hesitate to leave
    your address.

Best regards,

Aurore