Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Houses

A quick question for the board about Fragrance Houses. *Do they have any affect on if or how much you like their fragrances? *

For example, when Houses like Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, or Armani come out with a new frag, and houses like YSL, Creed, or Chanel come out with a new frag, will your opinions on that new fragrance be swayed one way or the other because of the House that produces it? *

I've noticed that some people, including myself, dont give a scent the time of day because of the House that makes it. *I often read the reviews of each fragrance and notice that there are certain Houses that get much more love. *This could also mean that they just make a better product most of the time... but opinions sometime seem to be predetermined based on the House. * *

If GIT was produced by Calvin Klein (not that CK would ever have the brilliance to make such a scent) and not Creed, would it have as big of a fan base? *That's just one example...

Any thoughts?
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Default Re: Fragrance Houses

I have 'house' preferences not because I'm biased or anything but just that different houses have different styles when it comes to perfumery and it is often reflected in their fragrances.

I think nobody can seriously deny the impact brands - and marketing in general - have on consumers. But in this case it's maybe also that the portfolio of scents a brand has is not so diverse, e.g. Kenzo making light, ethereal, "transparent" frags; YSL scents are strong and masculine, Hugo Boss's are unoffensive, targetting teenagers and young adults, etc. That's probably explaning why if one likes a scent, he could probably enjoy the rest (or most) of the line as well.
    I don't think it's all blind loyalty to the brand (at least I hope so). I have a pretty good opinion of Armani's scents, but I smelled City Glam, I thought it was a joke. On the other hand, I can't stand Hugo Boss perfumes in general, but Soul is something I could wear without feeling ashamed. Yea, in the end, when you spend time trying, testing, buying new stuffs, you dig farther than most people do and see beyond brands/advertising/packages and bottle shapes and build your opinion on what the scent really is. In my opinion at least.
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

My preference is also rooted at the fact that I like certain 'house notes' which are common through out the (majority) of a particular house's line of fragrance.
    Take Guerlain with its Guerlainade for example.
    I also like Chanel, and would be more inclined in going out of my way to find, and test their new creations than some of the other houses.
    After all, they're the ones who have given us the Egoiste, and the Antaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla

My preference is also rooted at the fact that I like certain 'house notes' which are common through out the (majority) of a particular house's line of fragrance.
    Take Guerlain with its Guerlainade for example.
    I also like Chanel, and would be more inclined in going out of my way to find, and test their new creations than some of the other houses.
    After all, they're the ones who have given us the Egoiste, and the Antaeus.
    I agree. I didn't set out to like YSL, Chanel, or L'Artisans--I experimented and found that each of these consistently provided interesting and, to me, admirable fragrances. Naturally, when YSL comes out with a new fragrance, I am going to go out of my way to try it out. If Boss or Claiborn come out with something new--I might try it if I trip over it but...no hurry.

Excellent question foetidus, particularly the way it's framed.

I tend to like most of the fragrances of certain houses, so yes I am a lot quicker to sample their new releases and even prioritize to sample their previous releases before I get to other houses whose fragrances don't move me as much.

Having said that, I think for me it's always a fragrance by fragrance proposition. I pretty much like all CdG fragrances and respect them, even the ones I not especially enamoured of, but no amount of admiration or respect for CdG is going to make me think that the Sweet Series is anything but mediocre at best and notoriously overpriced for the kinds of fragrances that they are. 100ml of the Sweet Series cost as much as Frederic Malle Editions des Parfums fragrances. Sorry, but that's a rip-off for what you get. I think many designer gourmands, HM for Men, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, A*Men are superior to the Sweet Series. The fact that the Sweet Series was released by CdG, however, did play role in my trying the Sweet Series fragrances sooner than I might have had they been released by another fragrances house.

One final point, I always try to retry the fragrances of fragrance houses whose fragrances don't initially appeal to me; sometimes my sense of what I like and don't like remains unchanged sometimes it doesn't. My appreciation of MPG fragrances, for example, is now starting to grow.

Actually this is my final point. My goal is to try as many fragrances as I can in my lifetime. In the final analysis, I'll try everything once, but since there are so many fragrances and so many fragrances house I do have to prioritize on the basis of preferences.

Actually, this is my final point, really! ;D Another factor that makes me prioritize sampling is the nose behind the fragrance. I'll try anything by Jean-Claude Ellena, Olivia Giacobetti, Jacques Polges, Jean Kerleo or Jacques Cavallier for example. Sometimes there is more of what one likes in a designer than in house.

scentemental

Actually the designer house is what made me choose Acqua di Gio as my first "real" cologne last year. As I have said before, I had been wearing an Abercrombie creation and because of the clear superiority of Armani to Abercrombie, I figured it was a clear choice. Now, however, save for Acqua di Gio and Emporio, I dont like anything from the Armani line. And despite YSL is my all around favorite design house, I will never be caught wearing M7 just for the simple reason that the scents "personia", if you will, does not fit me. As others have said, I am more inclined to rush out and try something from a house if I generally like their other fragrances.

I will certainly be more interested in a new fragrance that comes from a house I enjoy, I think that's natural human behavior in organization. Of course, if a fragrance is starting to generate some positive buzz, then that deserves attention as well.

I think scentemental made a good point about preferring fragrances based on the nose behind the scent. It makes sense when you think about it; you go to see a Stephen Spielberg movie because it's being made by Stephen Spielberg, not Warner Bros., Miramax, Dream Works, or anything company that publishes the work.