Code of Conduct

Default Status of YSL men's fragrance in US?

Does anyone have any insight or care to speculate about the fate of YSL men's fragrances in the US? Will they be completely withdrawn from the market or will Kouros continue being sold?

M7 Fresh is no longer available in the US. It seems that the same is happening for M7. Is Rive Gauche PH available at any Brick and Mortar stores in the US? At Sephora all I saw was Kouros and some Kouros variations and perhaps Jazz. I have to wonder how much Korous they actually sell.

The M7 that is curently available from the discount etailers, is it the last of the stock and soon to be as scarce as M7 Fresh?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Default Re: Status of YSL men's fragrance in US?

Boy, I hope not.

I think most brick and mortar stores only carry what's most "in demand." M7 is one of my top 3 frags, but I have to go to a specialty perfume store to get it. The guy at that store told me that YSL doesn't sell the stuff in major dept. stores because no one buys it. Same with Jazz and Live Jazz, I think.....
    Sephora here in SF only has Kouros and Body Kouros, I believe...and I've never seen a bottle of M7 Fresh (I'd have bought it, if I had....)

But I know of no plans to "pull" the entire YSL line. If anyone else does, though, please let us know so I can stock up.

url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]

and I've never seen a bottle of M7 Fresh
    Yet people here have said that M7 Fresh is available in other parts of the world.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I will have to keep a 'look-out' for M7Fresh when I go back to the Big-Apple next week, that is where I found it last time...If I find any I will hook some noters up....

Live Life,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if M7 Fresh is available in Nice, France?

Quote Originally Posted by keeg
    Does anyone know if M7 Fresh is available in Nice, France?
    I don't live in Nice, but M7 Fresh is available in all the fragrance stores of my city, so I'm pretty sure you'll find it in Nice.
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Are YSL fragrances more popular in the rest of the world than America?

Quote Originally Posted by mrliberfarb
    Are YSL fragrances more popular in the rest of the world than America?

Yes.

Check out the top ten bestsellers list in 2003:

Best seller(Top 10) / USA in 2003(Men)

1 Acqua di Gio pour Homme
    2 Romance for Men
    3 Polo
    4 Eternity for Men
    5 Cool Water
    6 Curve for Men
    7 Polo Blue
    8 Drakkar Noir
    9 Polo Sport
    10 Obsession for Men

(Source: www.perfumeworld.net)

The mass-market consumer for men's fragrances in the US, year after year (see below), clearly prefers American mainstream brands. If you consider that even though Acqua di Gio Pour Homme, Cool Water, Drakkar Noir are not American brands but have been perennial favorites for over a decade, you will see how difficult it really is for any major non-American brand to get a real foothold in the US market. Acqua di Gio Pour Homme is somewhat of an anomaly.

www.perfumeworld.net has top 10 fragrances in the US for the years 1995 to 2003. YSL has not had a top ten fragrance in any of those years and the figures support my claim that year after year except for a few established anomalies, US mainstream consumers consistently prefer US mainstream brands over foreign brands.

I don't know how complete the figures are or how accurate they are, but on the basis of these tables, it seems that YSL fragrances are generally not as popular as other major designer brands even in Europe. Clearly though, as my recent trip to Australia confirmed, all YSL men's fragrances are popular enough to be found in pretty much all major retail outlets. You could easily find and buy Live Jazz, Jazz, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, M7 and M7 Fresh, Kouros, and Opium Pour Homme to name a few. I am sure the same applies for Europe. At least it did last time I visited a few years back.

scentemental

FWIW, I saw Kouros Cologne Sport at Macy's in Short Hills, NJ a few weeks ago. I think they also have Body Kouros.

I have only seen M7 once at a Macy's and that was a couple years ago when I snagged it.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Is M7 Fresh really as good as they say? Also, where can you find it? Can it be ordered online?

Kelley

Post Thanks / Like

M7 must be selling really poorly in California because every Perfumania I've been to recently had 50 ml bottles on clearance for about $15.

I know in America YLS's Opium for women is the most popular and in some markets Kouros for men. These two will always be marketed here.

Aborad I know that Kouros is like a classic in men's scents like Drakkar in the US.

I was into Marshall Fields a couple of weeks back and because I got caught by an SA who I knew was going to push stuff on me, I asked if that had YSL fragrances (knowing full well they hadnt the last time I was in) and to my surprise they had Kouros, Kourous Cologne Sport and Courous Sport Eau d'Éte.

The S.A. had originally told me that they no longer carried YSL but I then noticed the infamous Kouros sitting on a shelf directly behind her and when I pointed it out she called to the other SA who then told the both of us that the store had recently started carrying YSL again. Now I just hope that things sell well enough so that they stock Jazz, Body Kouros and Rive Gauche (all of which I have yet to try)