Code of Conduct

Default Received my Idole

And the picture of the bottle does it no justice. This is perhaps one of the greatest bottles of all time. Its front is curved to a thicker base. The back has the textured "shawl" or whatever it is being worn, which curves slightly toward the front. The cap is the African Mask with the elongated face sloping down over the front of the bottle. If you were to hold it upside down, it actually looks like a pipe minus a mouth-piece. The neck of the spray mechanism has two decorative beaded necklaces comprised of white, orange, and black beads. This is truly a piece of art!

The scent itself? Perhaps just as interesting as the bottle. I haven't had it on for more than a few minutes, but the bitter orange and rum notes are pretty dominate, giving it a tadly sweet aroma (think of Baldessarini with a shot of rum to give it more depth). Quite a nice add to the collection, I must say.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Default Re: Received my Idole

Sorry, but I don't get that bottle at all... though my dad is an art dealer in African Art. The cap is OK but the glass bottle looks like a cheap after-shave.

A bit like this "Scorpio" after shave you can find at grocery stores in Europe.

But then, maybe it's just me

eccentric.....why the such low score for GIT and Himalaya!? are u nuts...expalin urself!

Personally, I love the Idole bottle. It receives my nomination for "Best Fragrance Packaging" in next year's Basenotes Awards. Once again I find it interesting how tastes differ!

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Sorry, but I don't get that bottle at all... though my dad is an art dealer in African Art. The cap is OK but the glass bottle looks like a cheap after-shave.

A bit like this "Scorpio" after shave you can find at grocery stores in Europe.

But then, maybe it's just me
    I totally disagree with the above. The bottle is a masterpiece of design (even if my dad wasn't dealer in African arts).

There is a tiny ring of African tiny-tiny beads (white and orange) that sits beneath the cap, which ads more magic to the already perfect design.

My bottle arrives this week

*does excited joy dance*

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo
    My bottle arrives this week
    So does mine. Thursday to be exact. I can't wait!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by whitebar

Once again I find it interesting how tastes differ!
    true words. Although I think the idole bottle verges on kitsch, I don't dislike it. (ummm....I guess that is what is called "damning with faint praise"!)

one bottle I love to loathe: Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. These bottle designs are baubly trash and unadulterated kitsch. (before anyone jumps, it's ok for you to like it!). Lovely fragrances, cheap bottles.

AZTEC

Quote Originally Posted by aztec
    [quote author=whitebar link=1137875365/0#3 date=1137877180]

Once again I find it interesting how tastes differ! *

true words. *Although I think the idole bottle verges on kitsch, I don't dislike it.

one bottle I love to loathe: Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. *These bottle designs are *baubly trash and unadulterated kitsch. (before anyone jumps, it's ok for you to like it!). Lovely fragrances, cheap bottles.

AZTEC
    [/quote]

I like the MPG bottles themselves, its the tops (on the red bottles) i DESPISE! Very cheap and gaudy.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Idol bottle looks pretty cool from the picture, however I'm afraid that up close and in the details, it may suffer from overstatement.

Again, if the scent is truly great, that is what I want to know about. If its merely a cross between CdG 2 EDP and Gucci PH, I might skip it. I'd like to see a more in depth assessment of the fragrance itself? I need a really good lengthy review.

And on the subject of the MPG bottles. I haven't even smelled an MPG, but they look so unappealing to me by the look of their bottles with the fake jewels. Terrible. I want to try an MPG, but I don't know what's good.

As I don`t pay a lot of attention to Bottles - Could anyone comment a little more about the juice?

I put Idole into my wish-list for prominent Leather note (which is quite rare now) and for the Nose behind this scent (Olivia make excellent perfumes).

What about leather? Is it possible to compare Idole with some other leathers on the market????
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I'd say that Idole isn't really leathery. It's more a spicy, very slightly sweet oriental with a boozy quality to the top notes and a very warm middle andf base that could seem leathery but doesn't make it into that category for me. This is from memory though - my sample is used up. It's rich without being headachy; Giacobetti doing a Serge impression without the vanillic drydown.

Saturday I went to the Lucky Scent store (The Scent Bar) on in LA specifically to smell this scent and the last bottle was sold earlier in the day

The proprieter is going to send me a sample that I should have tomorrow.

It's OK though, I smelled a bunch of other scents that were extemely good

If I had to sum it up with so few words, I'd probably say: If Baldassarini had a long lost grandfather who traveled the world, had a love for liquor, finally returning home, this is what he would smell like.

The bitter orange really does give it that same aura as Baldassarini, it's just not as fresh as there are no fir notes. Instead, you get spices. The middle has been described as dark and smokey, but it shouldn't be confused with L'Artisan's L'eau Du Navigateur as it's much more subtle, blending in the the saffron. The base does indeed have a hint of leather and sandalwood, but I find that as a whole, the scent itself isn't as present at this point, having become a softer shadow of itself. It's certainly not a leather fragrance, nor sandalwood for that matter, as it exudes a soft feel (sort of like the leather of Daim Blond as opposed to Montale's Cuir de whatever... sorry, I'm on lunch break).

Though it has presence, the fragrance doesn't shout at all and seems more inclined to whisper after several hours.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

No leather??
    well, it goes out of my wish-list... ;D
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I'm under that voodoo spell too and ordered a bottle , must be that creepy looking bottle.
    By the way, I mailed them and they said that a feminine counterpart will also be released in a few months

Check out that beautifull website.:http://www.parfum-lubin.fr/