Code of Conduct

Default Vanilla-y scents

As some of you know, I just started this fun ride back in June/July. One note that I've found that I like with some consistency is vanilla. Now, it has to be a pretty special scent for me to like a super-sweet vanilla. Typically, I find myself really enjoying more of a calm vanilla in the dry down. I suppose it's possible for me to love a scent that starts with sweet vanilla (think: French vanilla), and dries to a deep, dark, soothing vanilla.

That said, I'd prefer a scent that was still on the "manly" side. I'm not opposed to unisex scents, but I find that scents that are labeled "unisex" feel more feminine on me. Maybe it's me I'd like a scent that women could wear, but still leans more to the masculine side.

Suggestions?

*Note: I have a sample of Tobacco Vanille coming in the mail in a day or two.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Default Re: Vanilla-y scents

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille is the best vanilla I've ever smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille is the best vanilla I've ever smelled.
    Can't say this enough.

If you somewhat like Tobacco Vanille, try Pure Havane, or even Pure Malt. may be what you are looking for.

Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee (nothing to do with incense btw) or Diptyque Eau Duelle may be worth sampling, I would consider both to be unisex, definitely not "cupcake" vanillas.

Another for Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee.

I don't have a lot of experience, but with one wearing of TV, I understood why people love it. It's definitely sweet, but if you like vanilla, you'll like it.

I hear a lot of good things about Double Vanille as well, so that may be worth a sample.

Cool...Pure Havane and Pure Malt are already on my To Try list......the others I haven't even heard of, so they're on the list now!! Thanks, guys.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Le Male and Givenchy Pi are more commercial vanilla frags.

Dependent

Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Tobacco Vanille and I are in a very heated, steamy and physical relationship.

Tonka Imperiale is Tonka bean, but it smells amazing. If it must be vanilla, Double Vanille gets my vote. Smells like vanilla extract with a boozy vibe.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille.
    This plus Guerlain Shalimar and Givenchy Pi.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Tobacco Vanille and I are in a very heated, steamy and physical relationship.
    Haha...I really need to buck up and find a sample this.

Blog Entries

My current favorite: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane. Best bang for the buck. Quality fragrance, very pleasing from start to finish, with excellent longevity.

I'll also add another vote for Tobacco Vanille. I'll definitely purchase a bottle five seconds after I can afford it.

(I've read good reviews about SDV by Guerlain, but I haven't really smelled this one. I hope to sample this in the near future)

My favorite vanilla remains Caron pour un homme: fresh lavender, smooth vanilla. And of course the old vanillic orientals, like Shalimar smoky vanilla. I personally don't like Spiritueuse double vanille: too boozy and intense; but vanilla it is.

cacio

Second the Eau des Baux recommendation if you can handle some cedar and incense along with your vanilla. TV is my personal favorite which you will soon get to try.

I've heard great things about Eau Duelle, but I haven't tried it yet.

SDV borders the feminine side, but it's certainly a great boozy vanilla.

Wow...Caron pour un Homme = vanilla? I did not get that at all when I tried it. I could not wipe that off of me fast enough. Maybe I just snagged a bad sample.

It's funny...SDV is labeled as a feminine scent, yet most reviews I've come across are written by guys.

Keep them coming...I'm putting them all down to look into. Thanks for all the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    It's funny...SDV is labeled as a feminine scent, yet most reviews I've come across are written by guys.
    True, it's marketed toward the ladies, but it's unisex. I honestly don't know why I don't own it yet. Also you might wanna check out:

24 Gold - the marketing and what not is redonkulous, but it's a quality frag
    Musc Ravageur
    Frapin 1270
    New Haarlem

Own a sample of MR...can't wait to dig into it!!

+1 to L'Occitane Eaux de Baux, Diptyque Duelle, etc

also Byredo 7 Veils
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Fragonard Suivez-Moi
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

L'Occitane Eaux de Baux
    Le Male
    Baldessarini Strictly Private
    cant go wrong with either
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Double Vanille is great, but it's a little on the pricey side for what it is. I'd recommend trying Cologne du 68. Perhaps it's just me, but I get nothing but boozy vanilla in this and it's really rather tasty. Double Vanille is to my nose like an EDP version with more vanilla and less booze. I enjoy SDV, don't get me wrong, I'm something of a vanilla-fanatic though so yeah.

My #1 vanilla fragrance of all time: Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise. Absolutely, unutterably divine. Genuine vanilla. Not foody, not sweet. No booze. Unfortunately it is a fairly timid scent and lacks staying power, but when something is this good I'll just respray.

Molinard Vanille, and Vanille Marine; the older version of the former is great. Not foody at all. The newer version is sweeter, with boozy accents, but still good; no beating about the bush, it's just straight up vanilla from top to bottom. Vanille Marine has caramel accents and a touch of something aquatic, unusual but very nice.

Also consider Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Quite a few vanillas in their library, and they do an 'explorer pack,' with 4 30ml vanilla fragrances. Worth a look, nice price for four different scents.

The black sheep of this list is Diesel Plus Plus feminine. Linear vanilla and coconut. Surprisingly good. Ugly bottle. Discontinued, but still widely available for a pittance. Reminds me of Hypnotic Poison (which is nice, if a little on the cloying side) only Hypnotic Poison makes me violently ill.

The most vanilla I have EVER smelled in one scent must have been "Serendipitous" by Serendipity3. Otherwise, Hilde Soliani's Il Duo Tulipano has a great vanilla cream smell to it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

SDV is my favourite vanilla frag.

Others:
    Duel - Annick Goutal
    G2 - Gaultier
    Vanilia - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Mona di Orio Vanille is the best one I've smelled. Diptyque Eau Duelle is great as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    SDV is my favourite vanilla frag.

Others:
    Duel - Annick Goutal
    G2 - Gaultier
    Vanilia - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    +1 Vanilia - L'Artisan Parfumeur--this is not sweet, creamy vanilla that you are after....but this is real unisex stuff, so wearable!
    i experienced 180 degrees chnage in my love to this scent, i appreciated it but could not wear it, now i just love it! its woody vanilla. beatuful sandalwood and vanilla, nothing sweet....but beautiful parfume

you can have nice vanilla from LUSH, but that one is very feminine

and well done coffee shop vanila, something you may like Un bois de vanille Serge Lutens, i dont like it though

Holy crap!! You guys just doubled my list since I went to bed last night...well done!! What's funny is that I'm not a big vanilla guy normally. As I was starting a few months ago, and putting together a list that I wanted to try, I basically ignored any of the ones that listed vanilla. Regretting that now!! Love wearing vanilla at night.

You mentioned that you prefer to stay on the masculine side, in this case I'd stick to Tobacco Vanille and Musc Ravageur.

I didn't care much for SDV as it is overly sweet and I find it a bit feminine, just my 2 cents.

Jaipur EDP
    Opium EDP
    Habit Rouge

I like the following:

-Cologne du 68 (agree with above - great scent)
    -Blvgari Black
    -Diptique Eau Duelle
    -VCA Midnight in Paris
    -DHI

I do not like SDV - way too sweet in a bad way IMO.

Tobacco Vanille, Musc Ravageur are great but I save them for night use mainly.

I still want to try to Mona di Oro and also some of the Micallefs including the cuir vanilla, though these seem to be hard to find in decants and arent in local stores to sample.

Caron pour un Homme
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

GSDV is possibly the best vanilla scent, however, it is not very manly. Unisex at best.

Other great ones are Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Vanille, TM Pure Havane, and Creed Sublime Vanille.

And of course, Tobacco Vanille -- IMO, this is the best vanilla scent that could be called "manly" (manly may be a bit of a stretch, but close).
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Zino Davidoff, manly with a hint of vanilla. Amazing fragrance.

Is Zino in stores?

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Is Zino in stores?
    I got it at TJ Maxx about a month ago. I havent seen it around much though, thats why I grabbed it the second I saw it on the shelf.

Mona di Orio´s Vanille, Habanita by Molinard and Havana Vanille by L´Artisan.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

DHI - if you want nice vanilla cake.
    Tobacco Vanille- of course.

Imho Guerlain Spiriteuse DB is not what you are looking for as it is probably the least masculine vanilla I have smelled. It is, however, a fantastic fragrance on a woman.

Midnight in Paris is also great but has a lot more going on than vanilla.

As others have said I would suggest Tonka Imperial based on your taste, even though its more of a sweet tonka/nutty gourmand.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Is Zino in stores?
    I'm not sure about stores save in my area though I've seen it on the shelf. It's also widely available online, and quite inexpensive. There is a bit of controversy surrounding the new bottles and whether or not it has been reformulated. Personally I think if it has it's a decent reformulation, and still a very worthwhile fragrance especially given the price.

Eau Duelle is a less expensive alternative to Spiriteuse Double Vanille IMO.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

L' Instant

I'm of the opinion that Spirituese is overrated here, it's much weaker than Tobacco Vanille, and the boozy aspect present up front has actually garnered negative reviews from people around me. Tobacco Vanillle is basically long lasting, projects well, smells very sexy, undeniably vanillaesque, and delivers for me on all fronts. You said you are expecting that in the mail, I think you are going to be amazed.

It really is hard to go past SDV.

For another take - Habit Rouge EDP (I'm refering to the vintage as I haven't tried the reformulation) dries down to a lovely vanilla, similar to Musc Ravageur (another awesome vanilla).

I think the OP will have a lot of fun exploring vanilla notes - there is a great variety of takes on it

one more thing....OP if you haven't tried Le Male and Dior Homme Intense.....they might be what you are looking for

Tobacco Vanille is a great frag, I also like Mona di Orio - Vanille. Have tried SDV but it is supposed to be a benchmark vanilla but very expensive...
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk

SDV is anything but masculine. Very sweet

Lush Vanillary - Smokey vanilla with a touch of sandalwood.

Baldessarini Strictly Private - Creamy "creme brulee" vanilla.

Zino Davidoff - Dark vanilla.

Gaultier 2 - Candied Vanilla.

Pure Havane- Cherry Vanilla.

A sample of DHI should be here either tomorrow or Saturday. Can't stress enough how much I'm looking forward to that one based on the things I've read (and my own reaction to DH). My new best bro, Del, has hooked me up with samples of a few of these as well. Should be loaded with vanilla-y scents by the end of the month.

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. Similar to Chene, with a nice, warm vanilla thrown over it. Wasn't that crazy about it at first, but it grew on me. A real favorite now. Buy. It's great stuff.

Mona di Ori Vanille

La Maison de Vanille Absolu de Vanille

Vaniglia del Madagascar by Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561

Eau de Baux by L'Occitane

Another vote for Pi. I used hate that stuff growing up (father owned a bottle and it was the one fragrance I did not enjoy). I'm starting to like it more and more

Just to get off the beaten path a bit...

Dior - Hypnotic Poison Sensuelle - A light, powdery vanilla; unisex or too feminine for some
    Guerlain - Shalimar - A somewhat citrusy/vanilla combo that comes out musky; sometimes really nice, sometimes seems like a mess.
    YSL - Body Kouros
    Costes - No 1 - No vanilla notes listed, but this comes across to me as a really nice vanilla musk.
    Tokyo Milk - Let Them Eat Cake - sugar-frosted vanilla cake is pretty much dead on.
    BPAL - Dorian - vanilla musk, definitely masculine
    BPAL - Jareth - lilac fougere but comes out with a lot of leather and vanilla to me.
    M. Micallef - Gaiac - It takes a long time into the drydown, but it eventually turns vanilla.
    Odin New York - Century - woody vanilla gourmand, a bit of a darkhose vanilla scent that I really have grown to like.
    Brecourt - Mauvais Garcon - A smokey woody vanilla, personally really love this one, but doesn't always come out to play.

I agree with your feelings on Vanilla, I really enjoy it myself. TV and MR are also excellent and I would always recommend them if not already over-recommended.

I tried and liked Century...but like every other Odin I've tried, it was gone after a couple hours. Wearing MR right now.....and it's hard to type with one hand (as I have my nose buried in the wrist of my other one)

Jo Malone Vanilla and Anise.

During my 20+ years journey in the realm of frags the best scent I could enlist as to be vanilla-y to some extent is Boucheron Jaipur. I love and prefer the EdT version as I find the EdP a bit overwhelming - if I consider a scent for wearing. I've tried or owned most of the scents enlisted above, but no one comes close in my books. Some are too sirupy, some too bitter or weird - Jaipur is the shining golden middle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    I tried and liked Century...but like every other Odin I've tried, it was gone after a couple hours. Wearing MR right now.....and it's hard to type with one hand (as I have my nose buried in the wrist of my other one)
    Even so, Century is about with the best longevity from ODIN... too bad.