Code of Conduct

Thread: Ebay fakes

Default Ebay fakes

Hi,

Has anyone bought a fragrance from an American ebay store and discovered it to be a fake?
    Are these near "perfect" copies an urban myth?
    Does it make financial sense for a rogue to replicate bottles, boxes, labels, fragrances to a high quality standard in order to sell to unsuspecting customers?
    Ripping off fashion houses by printing their names onto $2 t-shirts is easy and done all the time - but copying a fragrance to the last detail would be so much harder.

Any experiences with fakes?

Default Re: Ebay fakes

I don't have much experience buying any fake fragrances, although I do admit that I bought a knock-off bottle of Polo Blue from Walmart. It's called "Classic Match; our version of Polo Blue". What's funny is that when I compared it to my real bottle at home, they were strikingly similar. I even found that the fake one had better longevity. I figured it wasn't hard to replicate Polo Blue because the notes are pretty straightforward. I don't know how these knock-off companies could ever clone more complex scents though.

I was at Walgreens the other day, and I saw some knock-offs of some of the classics designer scents (Polo Blue, Tommy Girl, Angel). They were very authentic... well for the first 5 minutes, but the dry down was so linear and so not comparable. It was amazing though.

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile
    I was at Walgreens the other day, and I saw some knock-offs of some of the classics designer scents (Polo Blue, Tommy Girl, Angel). They were very authentic... well for the first 5 minutes, but the dry down was so linear and so not comparable. It was amazing though.
    That's proof right there that you shouldn't get knockoff smellies at the same place where you get your laxatives and digital camera prints. ;D
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

If you check out the link in my "Counterfeit Scents" posting from a month or two ago, you'll see that it is not an urban myth.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I don't have much experience buying any fake fragrances, although I do admit that I bought a knock-off bottle of Polo Blue from Walmart. It's called "Classic Match; our version of Polo Blue". What's funny is that when I compared it to my real bottle at home, they were strikingly similar. I even found that the fake one had better longevity. I figured it wasn't hard to replicate Polo Blue because the notes are pretty straightforward. I don't know how these knock-off companies could ever clone more complex scents though.
    The Classic Match scents aren't fake, counterfeit scents. They're perfectly legal copy scents - no one is fooled into thinking they're the real thing.
    From memory, their versions of Contradiction and Eternity weren't too bad, and had some lasting power. The rest were sometimes like the real thing. Their version of Obsession was nothing like the real thing.
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

The more expensive fragrances with simple bottle designs like Chanel and Dior are regularly faked on Ebay. Some of their squarish bottles are not too difficult to replicate. It is the caps and writing on the bottles that is more difficult to duplicate. Buyer beware on these particularly!

I once bought a bottle of Le Male that was a fake. Oh it looked just like the original bottle but cheeply done I remember the white stripes were a little off when they screen printed them to the bottle.
    I didn't spray it to see what the hell it smelled like...

Of course Paypal refunded my money.

You know...I have a feeling this one is fake.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1

It's a gift set with body lotion instead of shower gel.

The only sets I've seen only come with shower gel.

What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibiza Hippie
    You know...I have a feeling this one is fake.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1

It's a gift set with body lotion instead of shower gel.

The only sets I've seen only come with shower gel.

What do you all think?

The holiday set for Live was a spray and a lotion. This auction still be fake, but I'd find it less likely. Who'd want to copy JLo!?
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

I got jlo live gift set, but it is with shower gel. It was the christmas set. It seems a bit far to fake a gift set. Maybe the user doesn't know it has shower gel.

shah

what do you think about the web perfume stores? They sell cheap, with a lot of discounts...
    Haven't ever tought it would be due to the knock off stuff? what do you think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by rockinter
    I got jlo live gift set, but it is with shower gel. It was the christmas set. It seems a bit far to fake a gift set. Maybe the user doesn't know it has shower gel.

shah
    http://www.robinsonsmay.com/gifts/On...122247&c=1

The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

They copy them by a technique (can´t remember the name - capture-something) that analyzes the molecular structure of the scent. It´s probably worth it since one of these ,machines or software or however the hell they work, can give you the recipe for any amount of desired fragrance. They are reproduced (entirely chemically I guess) in labs. The fact that they´re often much crappier is probably bacause no real materials are used in making them.

MMM

It´s called headspace: http://www.labhut.com/education/headspace/index.php

However I´m not 100% sure that this is how the fakes are produced, but I remember reading about it online before. Just can´t find the link....

MMM

Look closely at this bottle of Angel on eBay.

Can you guess what's wrong with this picture?
    Top 5 for Fall:
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

What is wrong is that I can't see it... :-?
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Check this out for further reading on the subject:
    (sorry for partially hijacking the thread, but this info shows that it wouldn´t be to difficult to copy smells)

Introduction
    A natural, essential oil may contain as many as 300 different compounds. The vast majority do not contribute to the odour, and those that do may be present in very low concentrations. Modern analytical techniques enable chemists to separate an essential oil into its individual components and identify the key odorous chemicals. Spectroscopic techniques allow chemists to deduce the molecular structures of these chemicals.

Figure 3.1a. Headspace apparatus.

Armed with this information, organic chemists make nature identical molecules or analogues. Perfumers use these to blend and recreate the odour of the essential oil, but at a fraction of its cost.

The main techniques currently used are:

* gas-liquid chromatography (GC)

* high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)

* mass spectroscopy (MS)

* infra red spectroscopy (IR)

* nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR)

The chromatographic techniques separate the components while the spectroscopic techniques give information about molecular structure. The perfumer’s nose is the ultimate sensor for detecting the presence of an odour.
    Figure 3.1b. Analysing the headspace of a daffodil in the field.

3.1 Headspace analysis
    There are some natural materials, with potentially useful odours, that chemists cannot obtain in sufficient quantities for extraction, even on a laboratory scale. Flowers and fruits are common examples. In addition, the extraction process may give a material whose fragrance does not reflect that of the original source. In these cases headspace analysis is an exceptionally useful technique (figure 3.1).
    How is it done?
    In headspace analysis the flower, for example, is enclosed in a container connected to a filtered air inlet and an outlet. The outlet has a trap to collect the odorous, volatile molecules given off by the flower and a pump to draw the air and odorous molecules through. When enough of the odour molecules have been collected, the trap is removed and the molecules set free by heating or using a solvent. The analytical chemist and perfumer then analyse the mixture produced by GC-MS and GC-sniffing.
    Past successes
    The tuberose belongs to the same family of flowers as the daffodil and lily. It has a distinctive fragrance and has been a prized fragrance ingredient since ancient times. Quest scientists in collaboration with a perfumer have used the headspace technique to analyse the fragrance of the flower and have recreated its key character from relatively inexpensive materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    What is wrong is that I can't see it... :-?
    Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duty-Free-Shop-T...QQcmdZViewItem
    Top 5 for Fall:
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)

We can´t see the picture was what he meant

I'm no expert at women's stuff, but from what I've seen
    it should have a silver point not the regular sprayer
    the bottle isn't the exact same shape
    liquid area inside glass isn't star shaped

If the seller on E-BAY has a very good score and longevity, then you're probably alright. I've had good luck so far with the sample bottles I buy from E-BAY being the same as the bottles I buy from perfumeries.

I particularly like the Creed Samples from this seller; he has 40 or more of the Creed Scents decanted very nicely; Acier Aluminum, Cuir de Russie, you name it.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...69&frm=284

Very fast shipping and I think he charges about 20.00 for six decants (1.5ml)

He also has alot of minis!

I have also bought creed decants from 786hoodas on ebay. Very professional and the juice is 100% real as far as I can tell.

Sanzio

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    The more expensive fragrances with simple bottle designs like Chanel and Dior are regularly faked on Ebay. Some of their squarish bottles are not too difficult to replicate. It is the caps and writing on the bottles that is more difficult to duplicate. Buyer beware on these particularly!
    Yes! I bought a Coco Mademoiselle Fake! The cap is all made of plastic, the bottle has rough edges, the paper of the box is poor in quality and the worst: the fragrance is a shit...

I have a simple, straightforward theory. If in doubt go for testers rather than boxed originals.
    I don´t think anyone would ever go to the trouble of faking a tester.I have bought hundreds of testers from all over the world for many years and never had any problems or suspicions.

There is an added bonus with testers too. Ivé heard from within the industry that many firms make the edt testers 10-15% more concentrated than the normal product, to maka a stronger first impression on the potential customer !!!
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

There is an added bonus with testers too. Ivé heard from within the industry that many firms make the edt testers 10-15% more concentrated than the normal product, to maka a stronger first impression on the potential customer !!!
    Interesting. Never heard that but it does make sense

Crud!

I think my friend just bought a FAKE J LO LIVE gift set from eBay.

It looks just like a real gift set but the fragrance doesn't smell like the original at all. I remember J Lo LIVE having a fruity smell to it but this is entirely floral. Headspacign sounds interesting but it seems like you can only copy floral scents, maybe that's why it smells this way.

She just sprayed some on herself and now her skin feels all itchy and red. Now that DIDN'T happen when she sprayed the tester on in store.

Good job it wasn't expensive but I'm just amazed that such a complex design can be copied right down to the diamond like effect on the box!

That Angel bottle is a fake. A well done but still a fake. Its not refillable for one thing and where is the cover on top? Angel would never market a bottle that just has a spray button on top. Also the fonts in the back of the box are really off. But that stuff in side must really smell like stink weed. :-X

I went to get my Angel bottle, took off the silver point sprayer, turned bottle around for rear view--then the bottle matches perfectly. Except for the plain sprayer, of course. Weird.
    Please, spritz responsibly.