Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Default PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    As a newbie, I rely heavily on sampling, then purchasing after looking at the reviews on BN the vast amount of fragrances out there and it really bites me when someone (usually another newbie) sprays something on (probably a pirate brand because he/her were too cheap to buy from reputable dealer), instantly washes it off and makes a half baked negative remark about the similarity of dogs pissing on the lilac bush or something else 'cute.'

    I have several new fragrances that I've tried and haven't liked yet, but will not review on BaseNotes until I've worn them again. *

    My Wife and I have been married for 17 years and we weren't love at first sight (or smell).

    I think if everyone gave a scent at least two to three wears, most would recant.

    I know everyone's taste and body chemistry is different, but just say it didn't work for me or something; instead of clouding the waters for everyone else. *I've learned to ignore most remarks like that.

    There; I've said my piece.

  2. #2

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    I understand your sentiment, but don't agree 100%. Sure, some people don't give scents their full chance, but scents are about body chemistry and opinion. Just saying it didn't work for me means you can't have a negative opinion of any scent. I want people to give both positive and negative opinions even though I won't necessarily agree with them. Otherwise, people should have to tell me that a good fragrance might not work for me too. Also I won't give some frags even the slightest second chance. I've felt sick and have gotten headaches from some frags and won't do it again just to be fair. I've only put fragrances on my wrists that I like and still have had to wash off a few. Burberry Brit for Men was the last one like this. I liked the smell and would have probably bought it, but it was giving me a headache.

  3. #3

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Propaganda13
    I understand your sentiment, but don't agree 100%. Sure, some people don't give scents their full chance, but scents are about body chemistry and opinion. Just saying it didn't work for me means you can't have a negative opinion of any scent. I want people to give both positive and negative opinions even though I won't necessarily agree with them. Otherwise, people should have to tell me that a good fragrance might not work for me too. Also I won't give some frags even the slightest second chance. I've felt sick and have gotten headaches from some frags and won't do it again just to be fair. I've only put fragrances on my wrists that I like and still have had to wash off a few. Burberry Brit for Men was the last one like this. I liked the smell and would have probably bought it, but it was giving me a headache.
    And to underline your point; I just bought Brit and I like it very very much.

    If you want to know something about a frag then take a glance at the reviews and then ask about it here in the forum. In here you will get a lot more details and opinions that are usually fair.

    I remember a review in the directory of FCUK Men that gave it a negative only because he didn't like the name of it. I admit that the name is a bit immature but I think people should judge the scent and not the name. The reviews are there to tell other people about the scent because they haven't tried it. You can easily judge the name by yourself so it's not really worth discussing in the review. I wonder if he even smelled the fragrance in the first place...

  4. #4

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Hmmm...how are you drawing an absolute conclusion that newbies (of which I am one, yes siree) are "too cheap to buy from a reputable dealer"? Pretty sweeping (and condemnatory) statement, and it also implies that newbies to fragrance boards have no history or experience with scent.

    Also, people express themselves in a number of different ways. Some are more articulate than others; some entertain; some grab for the first thing they think of. Each person's experiences are theirs alone, and should be allowed freedom of expression, even if it doesn't fit with what another poster expects.

    The experiential analogy drawn between fragrance and marriage would perhaps be strengthened or clarified by comparing fragrance to food. In that way, it is easier to see how instant distaste might arise, with validity.


  5. #5

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Personally, I'm glad for any input anyone wants to give.

    It kills me to see 350 people read a post and two people reply.

    This would be an even more interesting board if the "sit on the fencers/read only" members would pipe up once and a while.

    I've been wearing scent for many years and still can't pick out one note from the other, but I know what I like and what I don't, I'm not afraid to say it!

  6. #6

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    This might be a surprise, but you don't have to read reviews. Just a thought.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

  7. #7

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    A lot of my blind buys in the past were based solely on reviews and hype. Some scents lived up to the hype while some were total disappointments. Everybody has their own personal opinion and preferences. So even if I hate a scent, I always try to mention both pros and cons in the reviews that I write. I do think however that some reviews are very far fetched indeed. I can't even imagine what dogs pissing on a lilac bush would smell like.

  8. #8

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    A lot of my blind buys in the past were based solely on reviews and hype. Some scents lived up to the hype while some were total disappointments. Everybody has their own personal opinion and preferences. So even if I hate a scent, I always try to mention both pros and cons in the reviews that I write. I do think however that some reviews are very far fetched indeed. I can't even imagine what dogs pissing on a lilac bush would smell like.
    More specifically I would question WHY they know what dogs pissing on a lilac bush smells like. Teflondog is right, here, and he does excellent reviews. I would like to think that I am as fair as he is when I do reviews, but I know I'm not. Every once in a while I find that something is just plain BAD--my subjective judgement, I know, but wouldn't I be being dishonest if didn't say how revolted I was by the scent? I have about a 10% dislike rate. I do try to be fair and I give "thumbs down" reviews only after at least three testings. But sometimes it isn't easy.

    The reviews that I have trouble with are the ones that say "I've heard this was good, and I want to try it...."

  9. #9

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I can't even imagine what dogs pissing on a lilac bush would smell like.
    I do!

    Just kidding.

    I enjoy reading all reviews. Variety is the spice of life, everyone has different opinions.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  10. #10

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    I have about a 10% dislike rate.
    I'm kinda the opposite. I probably have a 10% like rate. I never blind buy, but reviews do get me to test a scent. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate 90%, but I don't find a lot I really like.

  11. #11

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    There are some pretty lousy review comments here - particularly when they relate to animal excreta - since I've smelled thousands of scents and none have ever smelled remotely like the output from cats, dogs, goats etc where I've lived. I just assume that the writer has for some reason chosen to demonise the scent, when an "I dislike it intensely for no particular reason" would have sufficed.

    I agree with you're comment about waiting a while. I must admit to having jumped the gun in the past and having had to recant here on a later occasion, but it's usually been after checking out a scent either in the actual wearing, rather than in a wrist sample, or after trying it in a different season.
    Renato


  12. #12

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Basenotes reviews are a very valuable source of info when it comes to purchasing or even testing a fragance, but I must say I don't give all the reviewers the same credit. I tend to trust more the reviews made by people who I know have a similar taste to mine. Of course, this takes time, but if someone like teflondog or shifts say something is good, I'm almost certain I will like it too.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

  13. #13

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    I only use reviews get or give people a slight idea of a certain fragrance, but to be honest , they don't tell me much. Scent is a very subjective thing. I like to read reviews of some Basenotemembers though, cause I think they have a wide experience in smelling differend fragrances through the years, but still I follow my own nose.

  14. #14

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    I always read the reviews with a pinch of salt and have found that some are more trustworthy than others. Those ones with scatalogical analogies I always ignore - it strikes me as cheap shorthand for an attempt to explain WHY the reviewer dislikes the frag.

    I'll freely admit: I'm a smell tart. There's some I love, many I like and very few I hate: none ever make me think of poop, vomit, toxic waste, ear wax, jism, smegma, unwashed vaginas, dirty dogs, rotting corpses, decomposing fish, mouldy potatoes or rotten eggs. For obvious reasons - we are genetically evolved to be repulsed by some smells for protection! I don't want to smell of rank mussels or mouldering lambchops...

  15. #15

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    the idea that a newbye cant understand anything about perfumes is quite strange ,even if im a newbye here i always bought perfumes and i smelled thousands and thousands cos i have been always in love with frag world, if i dont like something i wanna have the freedom to expresss my own opinion ,personally ill never say that hugo boss or angel a.men are good perfumes i simply detest them on my skin and on people around me ,and im not influenced by millions of good reviews concerning a-men ,hugo boss,acqua di gio ,i dont like them and i will never will .i would like to have the chance to give all the potential sacrality that perfumes like mitsouko,voleur de roses ,silver mountain water have in the fragrances industry ,but i will also have the power to tell what i think about the ones that i dont like at all

  16. #16

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Well, I do read the reviews and I do ask for opinions about fragrances when I can't test them, but It doesn't mean I agree with all the things I read.
    These kind of reviews (dog piss...) don't offend anybody, It's just the opinion of the member. So, What's the problem??? Everybody knows that there's no good nor bad in this "fragrance's world", everybody translates what smells in a particular way.

  17. #17

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    I agree that reviewing too soon is probably a bad idea - it seems only fair to give a new scent time to develop on your skin, and probably to have more than one wearing under one's belt to allow one's reactions to develop - or possibly mellow. No one would seriously review a book after reading the first chapter, or review a movie based on the trailer (with the possible exception of Roger Ebert, but that's a rant for another day, and another forum). Even restaurant reviewers go more than once to a place before publishing their reviews, especially if the place is new.

    I also agree that it would seem that rejections can be worded in exaggerated language, and that some of the comparisons to animals, excreta and other highly unpleasant odours are unwarranted. I have to say, though, that sometimes these loaded terms are the only ones that fit. I try not to over-use them myself, but I can't get away, for example, from an association between Kouros and something urine-like. It has an acrid quality to me that reminds me strongly of pee. That doesn't make anyone who appreciates this scent wrong, bad or crazy. Just different from me. Similarly, many, many people like and appreciate M7, which for me has an inescapable aspect of mould - I believe this is from a substance called oud, a famously musty compound derived from a rare wood. My reaction to M7 on the first and subsequent occasions was visceral, highly negative, and absolutely unforgettable. Really, I don't ever want to smell it again. I try not to villify this scent in absolute terms, but it's a temptation - if only to convey the absoluteness of my own experience. But there's something about scent which pretty consistently invokes vivid and highly emotional responses (hello, limbic system! How ya doin'?). Also, it occurs to me that comparisons to animal by-products can never be completely off-limits in an industry that does actually have a history of including such substances as deer musk, extract of dried whale glands, essence of civet cat, and, if you believe Luca Turin and other writers, reduction of baby poop. The French, apparently, have always like to 'dirty up' their fragrances to give them that quality known as pudeur.

    I do think we should all try to be as concrete as possible, just to give our Basenotes list-mates useful feedback. After all, 'YUCK!' is sometimes an honest answer; it just doesn't tell you very much about whether you're going to like the new Sergio Sillagini or not.

  18. #18

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    These kind of reviews (dog piss...) don't offend anybody, It's just the opinion of the member. So, What's the problem???
    Not necessarily...
    Maybe "goldslinger" is in fact the Basenotes handle for Mr. Kenneth Cole.

    J/K Goldslinger, I know what you mean, there are some very unhelpful reviews out there which seem to have been written in haste. What gets me wondering though is the plethora of reviews by shady acres who write ONE single solitary review on BNotes and then are never heard from again... very suspicious.

    see: youare_the_rock's view of Polo Black; Ytsejam on Burberry Touch; Leslie on 1881; LTJO5, Mrs. R Graham and Aryx on Pi... the list goes on and on

  19. #19

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno
    Hmmm...how are you drawing an absolute conclusion that newbies (of which I am one, yes siree).

    Read my first sentence. *I am a newbie; so I condenscend myself? *

    But thanks for underscoring my point about jumping to conclusions without a thorough review.

  20. #20

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    There are some pretty lousy review comments here - particularly when they relate to animal excreta - since I've smelled thousands of scents and none have ever smelled remotely like the output from cats, dogs, goats etc where I've lived. I just assume that the writer has for some reason chosen to demonise the scent, when an "I dislike it intensely for no particular reason" would have sufficed.

    I agree with you're comment about waiting a while. I must admit to having jumped the gun in the past and having had to recant here on a later occasion, but it's usually been after checking out a scent either in the actual wearing, rather than in a wrist sample, or after trying it in a different season.
    Renato

    I agree. *I cuss up a storm with friends, etc. *but my main point was being that it seems most negatives were made too hastily. *Sampling one on a card or a free sample sprayed in a store, to me isn't justification to write a review. *And, there are alot of piracy going on and one wonders when everyone else RAVES and that one person out of a hundred contrasts it very, very blatantly makes one wonder if they really got the real deal.

    I dropped some good money on a very small bottle of CLIVE & CHRISTIAN 1872, so far is a little sweet for me, but will give it some more in different circumstances before I review it.

  21. #21

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    I am SOOOOOOO guilty of this.....However...most of the reviews I have offered (90%) I will stand by....However, I do agree that I maybe should wait until offering reviews...Some scents just repulse and some leave me wondering. I will say this though....BdP and A*MEN were greatly disliked by me for months before I "saw the light" now I can only determine that I over-applied them at first.

  22. #22

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    You raise a good point R.J.,

    Sometimes a careful review would need to be recanted.

    Someone else mentioned (sorry, too lazy to back up and read) that someone will sign up, make a good review and leave; then continued to say; 'makes you wonder, huh?' (meaning the review might have been made with someone with a stake with that fragrance).

    Another good point.

  23. #23

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Quote Originally Posted by leopoldo
    I'll freely admit: I'm a smell tart. There's some I love, many I like and very few I hate: none ever make me think of poop, vomit, toxic waste, ear wax, jism, smegma, unwashed vaginas, dirty dogs, rotting corpses, decomposing fish, mouldy potatoes or rotten eggs. For obvious reasons - we are genetically evolved to be repulsed by some smells for protection! I don't want to smell of rank mussels or mouldering lambchops...

    Wow this sure was an entertaining post. ;D

  24. #24

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    My 2 cents.

    I'm new to the board and I will admit that sometimes I do rush to judgement on certain fragrances. However it's the first rule of business...first impressions can take up to 4 years to erase. If your first impression with a fragrance is really lousy, a 2nd test will do you little good. However I agree that no one should review a fragrance using only a card or how it smells on someone else. Reviews on fragrance are designed to help others get a feeling for what this scent is like.

    I very rarely give negative ratings on any fragrance. Usually just a thumbs sideways. I believe that the only bad fragrances are the ones that induce physical symptoms such as headaches and fragrances that are being used/abused/misused by the wrong person. For example the review of M7 earlier, it's something that I absolutely love. To me it gives a raw, dirty confidence with a sweet amber base that mellows it enough to be enticing. Each person is different.

    The best thing you can do is find someone who writes intelligent reviews that are fair and partial. If they use superficial phrases like "totally awesome" and "pick up girls" it generally (not always) means that their review may be less beneficial than one who trys to explain how the notes smell, what the scent reminds him of, what he feels like when he smells the fragrance.

    My 2 cents.

  25. #25

    Default Re: PEOPLE JUMPING THE GUN ON FRAGRANCE REVIEWS

    Generally, the rule should be "First reflect, then speak!".
    I know sometimes it can be very hard to do! I mean, I'm not a great frags reviewer, but before to decide if I seriously like or dislike a thing, I give it at least a second chance. I wouldn't consider coarse reviews (about any secretion...) :P so offensive and some of them are even amazing, but for sure I don't give 'em much credibility, as they, in my opinion, are inspired by the first instinctive impression and are feeble reviews.
    Moreover, for sure there are scents that are percieved as good or as bad from the majority of basenoters, but the only serious tip, to me is (I hope a famous basenoter doesn't mind I'm stealing his motto) : "let your nose be your pilot"!
    Actually is my rule! For sure the hype about a scent catches my attention and makes me wanting to test it, but I will never buy blind something just because there's "much ado about nothing"!
    That's another kettle of fish if, as Gus says, someone you know has taste close to yours and thus is more reliable for you, is praising or disgracing some stuff!
    And indeed there are some really good reviewers here, and we all, agreeing or not with their taste, must admit it and be proud of 'em!

Similar Threads

  1. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Reviews
    By IPaidForThisName in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 13th October 2012, 11:56 AM
  2. mega-compilation of mini-reviews
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 17th January 2008, 09:01 AM
  3. Basenotes ... no.1 ?
    By zztopp in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 23rd December 2006, 07:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000