Code of Conduct

Default The Baron and Dolce & Gabbana

Do you detect similarities between these two frags? It strikes me as a bit similar...hmm. :-?
    Peace ~ Markymark

Default Re: The Baron and Dolce & Gabbana

I don't see them a like at all Baron is very floral with really no spicy tobacco notes of D&G.

There is a warmth and almost dirtiness to The Baron which comes out when the scent calms down from its initial sweetness, at least on me. That might be where you see them similar. Is that what you're referring to Markymark? Personally, I find D&G more similar to Versace - Blue Jeans, and to an extent Allure Homme.

When I first got The Baron, I really didn't like it, but now it is one of my top frags that I wear for myself because I love it. I can see some comparisons between The Baron and Paco Rabanne, or possibly (and this is really pushing it) Fahrenheit, but nothing for me comes close to The Baron for that warm dirtiness.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I've noticed almost identical dry downs between English Leather and The Baron.

Whatever leather component they both incorporate seems to be the same.

I realize they smell nothing alike initially, but that synthetic leather smell found in English Leather becomes very detectable after several hours in The Baron.

As for similarities between Baron and D&G the only similarities I see are that they both are considerably sweet masculine scents but with very different fragrance geneologies.

Personally I think The Baron smells identical to the now discontinued Prell Concentrated Shampoo. I believe this to be Pikake flower and Lavander.

K, you may be right about the dirtiness. Thanks! I'll admit it's been awhile since I smelled The Baron and it may be from the original batch from the 80's, but when I first smelled D & G, it brought me right back to The Baron, 1985 -- almost a hint of grape jelly and rich, dark black soil. Oh well, D & G is growing on me quickly. I have been trying to locate The Baron at department stores and it's really hard to find. MM
    Peace ~ Markymark

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark
    K, you may be right about the dirtiness. *Thanks! *I'll admit it's been awhile since I smelled The Baron and it may be from the original batch from the 80's, but when I first smelled D & G, it brought me right back to The Baron, 1985 -- almost a hint of grape jelly and rich, dark black soil. *Oh well, D & G is growing on me quickly. *I have been trying to locate The Baron at department stores and it's really hard to find. *MM
    Good call about it hinting at grape jelly; there is something "blue" to me about the sweetness to the frag, and I think the grape jelly analogy is apt.

Maybe another scent with that dirtiness - yet not dirty, is Yves Rocher - Nature Millenaire PH. It is kind of like smelling a wet cinnamon rock, if you can imagine that.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio