Code of Conduct

Default Newbie here: questions

Hello,
    Nice site, I've been trying to add to my collection (Lacoste pour Homme, and... that's it), and been reading the reviews here.
    Unfortunately, I may have to purchase "blind."

What exactly is an "oriental scent?"

Also, would M7 or Opium be good for dates / nighttime / formal wear? Those sound like my style =). Any other notable ones out there for those situations?

I would like something that's not obscenely common; I really don't want anyone to say "Oh, you got xxxxx did ya?"

Thanks for your time,
    Aaron

Default Re: Newbie here: questions

Unfortunately, I may have to purchase "blind."
    You should buy decants from the people here.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Orientals are usually some mix of spices, woods, and resisns. The term oriental is used because most of the ingredients come from the middle east/ far east. Orientals tend to be heavy and project (i.e. create sillage) well.

I think M7 and Opium would be good for that but I recommend testing everything before you buy. As dcampen said, buy decants from people here or go to stores and test stuff. You can also order samples from some websites. Decants are better though as it often takes several wearings to decide if it's good enough to buy a whole bottle of. M7 gets a lot of praise here and I understand why.

Here in Denmark both of them are very uncommon. Remember that it's yourself who's to decide what to wear for what situations. It depends on what kind of impression you want to give others and also your mood. Just because a scent is considered formal in general does not mean it cannot be used for other stuff too.

It's like food really. Nobody can tell what you like just by knowing what they like themselves. Buying blind can become quite a costly affair very fast.

M7 and Opium are great!!! But try Gucci Envy and Gucci Pour Homme as well!!!
    Oh and welcome!!! 8-)

Thanks very much guys.

I'll try and take a field trip to the outlet i suppose...

Funk, there's an awful lot of fragrance out there and it's tough to throw out suggestions without knowing more about you.

What type of fragrance do you like? Heavy/light/flowery/dry/leather/aquatic. etc. How old are you? How would you describe your style? Are you casual, formal, enegertic, laid-back, suit and tie or jeans and t-shirt kinda guy, etc. Do you date a lot, how much money could you spend on a bottle, what's your job like, etc., etc.

You don't HAVE to share any information, but sometimes knowing something about a person and what they're looking for will yield some more accurate recommendations.

Welcome to B'notes!

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmaster_A
    Also, would M7 or Opium be good for dates / nighttime / formal wear? *Those sound like my style =). *Any other notable ones out there for those situations?
    Although they are well-made scents, I don't think they are easy to like. It takes some time to warm up to them IMO. For romantic occasions, I would recommend you go to a department store and sample Gucci Envy and everything by Dolce & Gabbana. Those are universally liked and generate very positive responses.

Oriental scents are the best for evening wear because they're sweet and project well. Most (if not all) oriental scents have notes of either vanilla, tonka bean, benzoin, amber, nutmeg, and/or cinnamon.

Welcome to Basenotes

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Funk, there's an awful lot of fragrance out there and it's tough to throw out suggestions without knowing more about you.

What type of fragrance do you like? Heavy/light/flowery/dry/leather/aquatic. etc. How old are you? How would you describe your style? Are you casual, formal, enegertic, laid-back, suit and tie or jeans and t-shirt kinda guy, etc. Do you date a lot, how much money could you spend on a bottle, what's your job like, etc., etc.

You don't HAVE to share any information, but sometimes knowing something about a person and what they're looking for will yield some more accurate recommendations.

Welcome to B'notes!
    Welcome aboard Funkmaster_A!!!
    Indeed some details about your lifestyle will help giving you better advices...
    However in general all the frags you mentioned are good for dates and... Yes, they are both oriental (as previously explained tha name derives from heavy usage of spices, woods, fruits and flowers coming from exotic places, that usually confer a sultry smell): woody oriental M7 and spicy oriental Opium.