Code of Conduct

Thread: House notes

Default House notes

Bvlgari has its Tea-accord, Carolina Herrera has Musk in the bottom of just about everything and Gucci seems incapable of making a scent that isnt chock full o' woodiness... what are some other Houses with telltale notes?

Default Re: House notes

Well, I recall Creed's infamous "ambergris note" and Guerlain's trademark vanilla basenote.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

well, to my nose, all contemporary Dunhills share a synthetic, cloying saccharine nastiness to them, if that counts. the original from the 30s is great though.

Being a fan of Chanel's mens and womens frags, i always wondered what the chanel "note" is since they seem to share a special something...in the men's maybe is it a combo of tonka bean, labdanum and a special sandalwood? i don't really know...

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    Being a fan of Chanel's mens and womens frags, i always wondered what the chanel "note" is since they seem to share a special something...in the men's maybe is it a combo of tonka bean, labdanum and a special sandalwood? i don't really know...
    I can't find a similarity nosewise between anteus and allure... but maybe they both have a similar note. I have smelled a "Creed note" in that i know something is a creed, even if i'm not sure if it's himilaya or not.. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I agree in that I don't see commom "notes" between Antaeus and the rest of the Chanels that I've tested. *However they are very much alike in their smoothness and perfection of movement and development. *I really need to try and test more of the Chanel fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by nefertem
    well, to my nose, all contemporary Dunhills share a synthetic, cloying saccharine nastiness to them, if that counts. the original from the 30s is great though.
    Totally agree! LOVE Dunhill 1934 and Edition, hate any of the new ones. Synthetic and cheap smelling. Why did they do it? The great ones are so hard to buy now - impossible in Australia, I can only get them when in London.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

All YSLs seem to share a potent, dark and raw quality to them, but it's probably not a common note.

Kenzo seems to love ozonic notes. It has of course some exceptions, but still...Many blue, aquatic frags with superfresh quality.