Code of Conduct

Default How do you measure sillage?

A fragrance smells different from the bottle, than from right next to one's skin, than from several feet to yards (meters to y'all non-americans) away. How do you gauge what others around you actually smell and how far away they smell it?

The best i've come up with is to wave my wrist past my nose. However, I doubt this is giving me the same representation of the scent as others perceive it in my wake.

~mad

additional info:

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    [quote author=teflondog link=1136347689/0#2 date=1136350843]
    Sillage is the trail of scent you leave in the air. The amount of sillage a fragrance has is reflected on how much other people around you can smell it.
    Actually, the way a perfume can be noticed by others around you is called volume or diffusion. I'ts not the same as sillage or trail. But most people here use the term sillage for how strong a perfume is (as supposed to scents that stay close to the skin), so I guess it doesn't matter.[/quote]

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1136269074/0#0 (search for "sillage&quot

Default Re: How do you measure sillage?

I don't think there is a better way than getting a friend to do all the analysis for you as it is very difficult to do a personal evaluation.
    Let your nose be your pilot

A sillage meter? :P ;D

Build a rig that you can wear which holds a tester strip of fragrance 4 or 5 feet in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    Build a rig that you can wear which holds a tester strip of fragrance 4 or 5 feet in front of you.
    yeah...a sillage meter

(Fairly) accurate gauge:

You stand in line in a supermarket during the most crowded time period (this you need to monitor in advance). Then, you sprinkle on Perfume X, which you know to have some decent tail wind behind it, and take your place in the line, looking casual, bored, and slightly spaced out.

Then you wait, making sure not to get too involved in Angelina Jolie's bump as lately portrayed on every gloss-tacky mag cover).

(For the above exercise, you must make sure that your listening faculties are tuned to 11)

"Is that.....someone's perfume? What is that?"

"Hell, someone reeks."

"What's that smell?"

Also listen carefully for words like "Geeze," "Yikes," and "Damn."

Measure distance between you and utterer. Subtract three sprays, or press the atomizer halfway next time.
    "

porkchop

i don't know, but Youth Dew Amber Nude's sillage has got to a mile. it's beyond sillage... it's crop-dusting!