Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Dana English Leather

Does anyone here have this cologne, and or any of its variations (Lime, Spiced, and Musk)?

I have all four and wondered what your views, recommendations and opinions, may be on this Vintage male cologne.

I have tested all 4:

English Leather Original = Light classic leathery cologne, quite fresh in nature for such a 'heavy' type of scent. Unfortunately, especially after all the raves I have seen on here for it, I am finding it very 'meh!’ I live in a very cold climate though and believe that it may come more into its own in spring / summer. Not sure I like the spray version (too much aerosol) and may have to seek out a splash bottle to decant. :-/

English Leather Musk = Light subtle, soft 'skin scent' musk that is surprisingly unisex and sexy . I assumed it would be more heavy and cloying but this appears to be another warm weather fragrance. I find it a bit 'airy and elusive' at the moment, again probably because of the cold weather, but think it will work layered with my favourite musk perfume oil - TBS Mostly Musk.

English Leather Spiced = Oh my! Oh my! I find this delicious and surprisingly rich and long-lasting - especially for cologne. A little goes a long way. The sillage is gorgeous without overpowering. If a man wore this...well I'm not sure I could be held responsible for my actions...but I think the man in question wouldn't be complaining! Luckily for the unsuspecting male population I totally love the way it smells on me even more. I am an unashamed glutton for leather and spice and this rich, leathery spice is heavenly. Again maybe I should blame the cold weather. Amazing alone I believe this is quite similar to and would be amazing layered with Fendi Theorema, Diesel Zero Plus Masculine, and TBS Woody Sandalwood. I also think it would be pretty amazing layered with YSL Nu / M7 and Donna Karan Black Cashmere. This is a definite winner.

English Leather Lime = Now this is a truly masculine cologne! Unfortunately, the first thing that came to mind as I opened the bottle was pine detergent. A very smooth, refreshing, expensive / well blended detergent but pine detergent all the same.
    As the cologne warms on the skin this changes and it mellows into a very earthy, woody leather scent which is delightfully masculine, without being butch. I get impressions of the great outdoors: moss, woods, camp fires and a healthy male body shaped and honed by the elements. This cologne reminds me of the smoke, tobacco and leather of Gres Cabochard but without the sweet florals to soften and confuse matters. More unisex in dry down but still assertive. English Leather Lime is a very sexy well-crafted cologne. I would definitely find myself trying to get closer to a man who smelt like this….yum!

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dana English Leather

I havenīt tried any of these, (they hardly exist here in europe) but you MUST try Tabu from Dana, itīs one of the all time classics. Itīs leather, tabacco, and 40% patschouly. A masterpiece....TRY IT !!!
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david
    I havenīt tried any of these, (they hardly exist here in europe) but you MUST try Tabu from Dana, itīs one of the all time classics. Itīs leather, tabacco, and 40% patschouly. A masterpiece....TRY IT !!!
    LOL Thank you for the suggestion, but you are singing at the choir! ;D

Dana Tabu is one of my HG and I appear to be one of the few women who can wear it well (that I know of, many seem to complain that it makes them smell like a hooker or the Bordello she works in ). What does that say about my chemistry, I wonder :P

Anyway, on me it is very warm, spicy, sweet and sexy, but more inviting skin scent than brazen come on. The patchouli is amazing and the whole lasts for days! LOL

You may also enjoy Karl Lagerfeld KL which has a similar composition - just slightly 'softer' and less...assertive.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

My dad has the original and I know what you mean when you say that it's fresh for a deep, leather scent. I actually haven't sampled it in a long time so I'll do that this weekend!

English Leather is truly one of the greats. I started wearing it at 12 years old in 1979.

Your right when you say there is clean freshness about it

I recently won a vintage set off eBay. It was from the early 1970’s and has never been opened. The set included a full 4oz all purpose lotion and a full 4oz cologne. All packaged in the classic wooden box. Best of all, it’s the original recipe. The label says Mem Company Inc. New York City.

When I tried my vintage cologne it brought back many memories. The fragrance was robust smooth and had major lasting power. Unfortunately, the English Leather cologne found today at the local drug store is made by Dana. It smells kinda similar to the original but is watered down and has no longevity