Code of Conduct

Default Stronger version of Gucci Envy For Men?

I've been wearing a lot of powerhouses lately (Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Chanel Antaeus, Alfred Sung Homme, Azzaro Pour Homme, Azzaro Visit, Thierry Mugler A*Men) and I used to think Gucci Envy For Men was one of them. I haven't worn it for a couple of months, and when I did wear it today, it didn't seem as strong as I remembered it. Gucci Pour Homme is definitely stronger and longer lasting.

Is there anything else out there that smells like Gucci Envy For Men, except stronger? I also noticed how the drydown reminded me of Burberry Brit For Men. Both don't last very long on me and are very subtle.

Thanks in advance!
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stronger version of Gucci Envy For Men?

I only know of Santal by Floris but it's a softer rendition of Envy :-/

You know, I still haven't tried Floris Santal yet. I'll have to ask around the stores for it. I hadn't actually ever heard of Floris before until you posted pictures of it in one of my threads. Is it a niche scent?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I suppose it's niche. I don't think they design clothes or anything

Post Thanks / Like

To me, Floris Santal is a somewhat softer scent in the same vein as Envy.
    Similarly, Larrikin For Men (available on the internet from Australia) is a much stronger version of Santal to me. But its not quite as close to Envy. If it's the sandalwood component that grabs you, then you may want to check Larrikin out.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    ...Is there anything else out there that smells like Gucci Envy For Men, except stronger? ...
    Carven Homme is very similar to Gucci's Envy. A bit softer (less Incense?), yet quite long lasting.

Post Thanks / Like

There are subtle differences, but to me Tel Quel by Yves Rocher smells like the EDP version of Gucci Envy. I think it's probably the closest scent you'll ever find to Envy. However, it is discontinued and quite hard to find.

sorry, I'd have to completely disagree, Carven homme is *nothing* like envy; in fact both have an amazing experience - both are truly rich

WOW, I'm amazed that Envy is too weak for somebody.

To me it seems to be on the strong side. *If i ever use the shower gel and EDT, its a sillage monster. *Plus I also have the hairspray. *Wow. *Do you really find that Envy is too weak? *I'm just curious- this guy I work with wears a heavy dose of Envy and it's too much to take. *It gasses me out. *Way too strong.

I also have a bottle of S.T. Dupont Signature and it's VERY close to Envy. *

I'm amazed as I've never found Envy to be lacking in strength.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    WOW, I'm amazed that Envy is too weak for somebody.

To me it seems to be on the strong side. *If i ever use the shower gel and EDT, its a sillage monster. *Plus I also have the hairspray. *Wow. *Do you really find that Envy is too weak? *I'm just curious- this guy I work with wears a heavy dose of Envy and it's too much to take. *It gasses me out. *Way too strong.

I agree, Envy is pretty strong and Signature is indeed pretty close to it. I'd say they're about the same strength.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1136605565/0#8 date=1136630265]WOW, I'm amazed that Envy is too weak for somebody.

I agree, Envy is pretty strong and Signature is indeed pretty close to it. I'd say they're about the same strength.
    Renato[/quote]
    Indeed really amazing your claim about Envy weakness...
    I've always thought at it like a sort of stunning gun!

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    [quote author=Hysteria link=1136605565/0#0 date=1136605565]...Is there anything else out there that smells like Gucci Envy For Men, except stronger? ...
    I have to agree I do see Envy and Carven the same. Carven is much more sillage.
    Carven Homme is very similar to Gucci's Envy. A bit softer (less Incense?), yet quite long lasting.
    [/quote]

While we're talking about Envy, I should mention that you should try L'Occitane Vetyver if you like Envy. Similar kind of fragrance, but a little different.

I actually wore Envy a few days ago, and it was better than I remembered. Envy was one of the first grown -up Oriental frags I ever bought. And while i think it may be a little too distinct- I stopped wearing it when it became popular, it's really a modern classic. I remember buying it just because it said "Gucci" on it ( I was such a label whore), and when I got it home, I thought it was really different from anything i was used to. Really dense and heavy.

I've always had an abstract association between Gucci Envy and the piano. Well, for one, I associate the smell of it somehow with the black keys of a piano. Perhaps because the smell reminds me of a deep, black wooden smell and an old smell like the inside of a piano. Also because if you take your knuckles and drag them across only the black keys, you get a major pentatonic scale- which is the basis of some forms of Oriental music. And being that Envy is classified as an Oriental- that mental bridge is formed. Also, the shape of the bottle, with its big black square top sort of looks like an upright piano. Then when you take that cap off, the top of the bottle (1.7 oz) sort of has the same dimensions as a piano key. I know it's a weird association that only I have, but Gucci Envy always represents my first piano that was my grandmother's. When I was a kid I used to spend alot of time playing at her house. She had a bunch of old junk jewelry in metal chests and we used to put it on and pretend that we were pirates and it was stolen booty. And all of this jewelry smelled faintly of perfumes, so whenever we played pirates, we always ended up smelling of old perfume. Envy kind of has that faint non-descript perfume on tarnished metal smell to it. And after playing pirates, I used to spend hours sitting at the piano, banging away. And i was obsessed with only the black keys and that pentatonic scale. It almost put me in some kind of trance, and I would just play those keys and daydream. So nowadays whenever I smell Envy, it brings back some great memories through association. I can almost hear my grandma's windchimes before a rainstorm...

And i think the shower gel is superb. It has a little bit of a different balance of notes than the EDT- there's something really dark and luxurious in the shower gel.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    [quote author=godzilla link=1136605565/0#5 date=1136617494][quote author=Hysteria link=1136605565/0#0 date=1136605565]...Is there anything else out there that smells like Gucci Envy For Men, except stronger? ...
    I have to agree I do see Envy and Carven the same. *Carven is much more sillage.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I also have to agree on Carven Homme being similar to Envy. And at this price ... http://www.imaginationperfumery.com/...ologne-for-men ... how could you possibly go wrong!

Hi Hysteria,

it's quite amazing Envy appears to you as somewhat "weak", but I find some very useful information in your posting:

"I've been wearing a lot of powerhouses lately (Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Chanel Antaeus, Alfred Sung Homme, Azzaro Pour Homme, Azzaro Visit, Thierry Mugler A*Men)"

Your nose will naturally adapt when you wear a lot of powerhouse stuff and somewhat "shut down". That's a natural mechanism and the reason why people around you can go "Uuuuh, what a strong scent!" while you still think you've sprayed yourself too weakly .

The scents mentioned by you above have different characertistics than Envy, and most have some "right-in-your-face" ingredients that overpower the other ingredients that make up the scent. Envy is more ... "united" in a way, very balanced and yet extremely powerful - but doesn't have that outstanding note. I think that's the reason why you PERCEIVE Envy to be weaker than the other scents whereas other people smelling it on your skin will think they are all powerhouses :-)

L'Occitane Vetyver is indeed quite similar to both Envy, and Carven Homme.
    Funny thing is that it's been sitting in the front row of my cabinet all this time, and I had failed to make the association.
    Good call Indie_Guy.

Howcome Envy isn`t strong enough?? :-?

Probably because I've been using too many powerhouses lately. I've started rotating my collection again.

Thanks for all the great replies, everyone. You know what, I've had TWO little samples of Floris Santal sitting in my samples mug for a while now, but I completely forgot that I even had them! You guys were right... it reminds me of a softer Gucci Envy For Men.

I just bought a bottle of Envy blind for about $20. Figured what the hell after hearing the praises on here and in fact, it is one nice frag. I think I will replace it with my Givenchy PH(maroon). Sometimes mainstream frags still amaze me.

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm envy.. the girls seem to love this scent haha

That was off topic I know. I guess I just wanted to contribute to this thread because I'm dumb like that haha

[red]Floris *Eau de Santal Extreme*.[/red] Basically Floris *Santal EDT*, but it's the EDP version with 15% concentration of perfume oils as opposed to probably about 8-10% for the EDT.

scentemental

I always thought Obsession was a stronger and more brash cousin of Envy.