Code of Conduct

Default Is Bulgari Black the ultimate scent?

It may be for me.

Without knowing much about fragrances, I seem to have a linear history over the past 2 decades with gourmand orientals:

Obsession -> Allure -> DG Homme -> Rochas Man -> Bulgari Black

The first 4 have all kept my interest for at least a full bottle of EDT, but now that I am using Black, everything else seems inferior (generally too "perfumey/fem&quot in comparison with this rubber/ink/gasoline + vanilla/sandalwood fragrance.

Also I recently received a sample of SMN Peau d'Espagne, different than what I am used to. I liked the leather very much, though its too mediciney/soapy.

Any suggestions? I've heard SMN Nostalgia, Knize Ten, Dzing!

Default Re: Is Bulgari Black the ultimate scent?

It's nice and I like it but definitely not ultimate. It's a little too sweet and stuffy for me to wear everyday - but that's just me. You have a particular liking for gourmands/orientals so it probably suits you very well!

I would pick Dzing! over this scent.

Bvlgari Black can be interesting at times, though I prefer three of your four previous scents over it. However, it's certainly better than Dzing, which is very similar to it, but becomes a bit weaker after its marvellous initial zingy burst.
    Renato

I haven't tested Knize Ten, but if you like Bulgari Black I think your suggestions go in the right direction, especially Nostalgia.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I think you should give Tea For Two by l'Artisan Parfumeur a try! To me, it smells more natural and less synthetic than Bulgari Black.

I love Bvlgari Black, too!......

i was just remarking to my friend the other day, how great bulgari black is. Great smell that is also extrodinarly long lasting and one hell of a drydown on my skin at least.

I just don't get the similarity with Dzing! at all. I heard people saying that about V.I.P. Room Signature as well and I can't see it in that one either. But what I can see is a similarity between Bvlgari Black and the V.I.P.

I think you would like Dzing! Knize Ten can smell a bit old gentleman-like at times, but I like it a lot. It's a lot less smoky than Peau d'Espagne. Haven't tried Nostalgia yet.

Bulgari Black is one of the great ones, as far as I'm concerned, but I think "the ultimate scent" comes and goes...

I am one of those who doesn`t get the constant comparision with Black and Dzing! Okey, maybe they are in the same "field", but still the two are very very different from each other, IMO.
    Black is way more urban with rubbery and tarry notes (at the top), and it dries soon to be very powdery, musky oriental.
    Dzing! hasn`t got these notes at all. It starts off with very pleasant, and with very natural leather-scent, just like stepping into the leather store! (And yes I see that for some people this aroma resembles circus) However, Dzing! has great tragedy to tell : The interesting aroma after the burst, dies off very quicky to be very boring, very weak woody(insence) scent with hints of vanilla and musk.

Perhaps not my ultimate scent, but a great one nonetheless. Aside from its "dark" qualities, I don't see the resemblance to Dzing. I like both but find that Dzing is a bit easier to wear for me. Try it. I think you'll like it. Another one you might want to add to your "to test" list is DK Fuel.

Welcome to Basenotes

Overcome By Fumes

Umm no.

I like BB but I find its linearity to be uncompelling. Dzing! is nothing like BB to my nose, but Nostalgia may be--I haven't done a side by side comparison but both have the rubber notes. I liked Serpent's (whatever happened to him???) description of it as being like a high tech Shalimar with the heavy vanilla contrasted with the ultramodern metal/rubber notes and packaging.

B. B is one of my top favs. fragances in this world. heeheh

i love it ;D

I have and love gentlemanly, but muscled Knize ten. I keep strip testing Bulgari black. So far they seemed so different that I never even connected them in my mind. But a full wearing could reveal something else.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    I just don't get the similarity with Dzing! at all. I heard people saying that about V.I.P. Room Signature as well and I can't see it in that one either. But what I can see is a similarity between Bvlgari Black and the V.I.P.
    I'm with you on this one. Black is all powder and rubber. That being said, I love Black and it's a top 5er for me. One that works in any situation in any time of the year. One of the reasons I hold Bvglari in such high regard.

I love some of the descriptions Ive read here, Bulgari Black is a "tire covered with baby powder", SMN Peau d'Espagne is an "old leather book dipped in tabasco sauce" and Vip Room is like BB but with "flowery softness and fruity sweetness." ;D I will try all those mentioned in this thread (when I can find samples),

I don't really see links between some scents here mentioned...
    However I like bulgari black which is no doubt the best bulgari scent! No similaties with DZING at all!
    The most similar scents I can see close to BB are Ten (a more oriental father of this shyer son) or Etro gomma.
    I've also never understood how can many basenoters see in BB a vanilla note, where all its powdery sweetness comes from a well balanced accord of black tea(from which the name black) and jasmine. For sure, after many years of *oblivion, BB has newly focused attention of noses on a forgotten rubber note rarely used in perfumery only by few orientals.

I really like BB too and use it quite a lot. Too bad it will be summer soon. ;D

I've tested Knize Ten and I don't find a lot of similarities. Perhaps after some hours in the drydown. Ten is a lot more potent and lasts for several days on my skin. It reminds me more of the original Van Gils which seems to be a (quite bad) copy of Ten. Ten is way better crafted but it's still too strong for my liking.

no
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Btw, to me CdG Tar smells exactly like Bvlgari Black which has lost it`s mind, after it`s been sniffin` glue all day long. Now, thats what I call ultimate scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    I don't really see links between some scents here mentioned...
    However I like bulgari black which is no doubt the best bulgari scent! No similaties with DZING at all!
    The most similar scents I can see close to BB are Ten (a more oriental father of this shyer son) or Etro gomma.
    I've also never understood how can many basenoters see in BB a vanilla note, where all its powdery sweetness comes from a well balanced accord of black tea(from which the name black) and jasmine. For sure, after many years of *oblivion, BB has newly focused attention of noses on a forgotten rubber note rarely used in perfumery only by few orientals.
    Agreed! * I don't really get the vanila, *either.

And BB is one of my top 5 as *well, *btw. *

As far as Gomma, *it's less weird/ distinct than Peau D'Espagna, *which I've come to appreciate---Tabasco and all. Also less of a standout than *Creed's REL, *a great mellow/ syrupy juice that reminds me a bit of Serge Lutens MKK in how smooth it progresses through drydown.

*I'd place *Etro's Gomma in the same grouping as VIP Room, *Nostalgia, *Cuiron and Acqua di Cuba, *with AdC at the head of the class. * Nostalgia is a hoot, and I prefer the motor oil to the citrus top notes of Cuiron but, overall, *AdC seems to be the best blended---ran out of my sample of Trumper's Spanish Leather some time before these arrived.

Haven't tried Knize Ten yet.

I wonder if, *at our next job interview or important *business meeting, *should someone attempt to break the ice by asking about our sports or hobbies we might reply: *" I'm into leather. "

;D

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    Nostalgia is a hoot, and I prefer the motor oil to the citrus top notes of Cuiron but, overall, AdC seems to be the best blended-
    Just found out that Santa Maria Novella also makes Acqua di Cuba, SMN certainly seems to be the favorite of many here, now I have two of their line to sample.

I'll be bold and say that all the fragrances discussed here smell similar. They all smell of quinoline.

Bvlgari Black: Perhaps the ultimate dark scent for the gentlemen of the suburbia who prefer the understated.
    There are no hints of Caron No. 3's dirtiness, or Jules' gothical persona here. Yet it somehow still manages to remain dark.
    Very sophisticated stuff.

The one flaw is that it doesn't last, not much staying power.

I sampled some "Bel Ami" last night, showered this morning, used Bulgari Black, and 8 hours later guess what I can smell?

Bel Ami >

Quote Originally Posted by submachine
    The one flaw is that it doesn't last, not much staying power.

I sampled some "Bel Ami" last night, showered this morning, used Bulgari Black, and 8 hours later guess what I can smell?

Bel Ami >
    It seems that most of the Bvlgari's line of men's fragrances suffer from longevity issues. Though that has not stopped me from enjoying both the Black, and Cologne Au the Vert which are among my favorites of this house.

In the case of the Black, you may either decide to keep it on hand, or decant it into a smaller 10 ml sprayer when you go about town.

...Wish Bvlgari could come up with an EDP version of the Black, I would hoard it!

Short answer: Yes!

Slightly long answer: Close. This is one of my all time favee. Certainly makes me feel incredible - that rubbery start, that divine rosewood and sandal/vanilla ending - and everything else inbetween. This one alone is enough to elevate Bulgari to an all time high in my eyes - but then they already have a masterpiece in Bulgari pH. To me these two will keep my faith unflagging in Bulgari for a while.

While Jicky is the only scent I would consider close to being one I could live with for almost forever - this one is so good, it actually makes me feel bad that I give Jicky that position. I love - scratch that - adore Bulgari Black. You are on to something good with this one.

No. Although it has a fresh quality, that burnt rubber smell sometimes gives me a headache. I want to like it more bt it just hasn't grown on me yet. pERHAPS I need to obtain a sample and give it another go! Hmnnn, where to get a sample?

Not quite.

But being the ONLY scent that I finished from a full bottle down to a last drop I'd say it's very close.

Forgive me for being all cheezy and Kindergarten teacherish -- but you answered your own question! *
    There is no ultimate scent, only the ultimate scent for you. *And if you think that's Bulgari Black, then it is! *Yay!

(My ultimate scent would be, of course -- Zino Davidoff.)

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    There is no ultimate scent, only the ultimate scent for you.
    Well it does seem like it is the favorite of others as well, so its not all subjective

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    [quote author=submachine link=1136873639/15#25 date=1137107609]The one flaw is that it doesn't last, not much staying power.

Bel Ami >
    It seems that most of the Bvlgari's line of men's fragrances suffer from longevity issues. [/quote]

This is starting to annoy me > And I don't think BB is spicy enough, it fades too fast to soft and sweet and then...nothing at all. Back to sampling!