Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Question for those of you with 100+ Frags

[/quote]When I shop in New York I have to wait until she is asleep before venturing out to the car to slip them out and into my closet. *Then I have to give *hush money to my two kids should they see me at the cologne counter with a new bag in hand. *Not a cheap hobby by any means. *In our 17 years of mariage I have not used up more than several bottles because of the large rotation I must go through. But let me tell you, in my house it's not a joke. *I am walking on eggshells.

Regards, Mark[/quote]

As much as I love family, I am soooooo glad I do not have to go through this....even though one of my sisters tells me that I have a sickness..but that sickness soon is not said as loud when her son picks from my frag arsenal....... ;D

Peace,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

*bows down to Mr. Eight-Hundred-and-what?-Forty?-that's-right-Forty*

haha

Now with such a large collection, you MUST have been collecting for many years now. Have you ever experienced fragrances in your collection going bad?

Also, many of you guys say you try to buy the smallest sizes possible (30ml, 50ml, etc.) to be economical but what about when it comes to many of the Creed scents? Many of them come in 4oz. only with a steep price tag to follow! What then?

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    *bows down to Mr. Eight-Hundred-and-what?-Forty?-that's-right-Forty*

haha

Now with such a large collection, you MUST have been collecting for many years now. Have you ever experienced fragrances in your collection going bad?

Also, many of you guys say you try to buy the smallest sizes possible (30ml, 50ml, etc.) to be economical but what about when it comes to many of the Creed scents? Many of them come in 4oz. only with a steep price tag to follow! What then?

I have been collecting for many years, since the late 1960's, and I think only one or two have ever gone bad (Chanel Pour Homme comes to mind). However, many of them have evaporated, so spritz and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by need5398
    I think only one or two have ever gone bad (Chanel Pour Homme comes to mind).
    !!!

Chanel Pour Monsieur is one of my favorite fragrances! I guess this is another reason to use it more before it goes bad

Chiming in with a Creed question for Need5398 -

With a collection that large you must have had at least one or two Creeds... with the "100% Natural" tag on them, and with some on the board that may feel they go bad quickly, have you had any Creed scents for a good long time ( like 3 or 4 years ) that still smell the same as they did when you bought them?

just curious

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    The thinking process you describe requires significant degrees of logic and self discipline. Are you sure you are on the right website?
    LOL ;D

Initially I would go after the larger size. Not only that, when I was afraid something was going to be discontinued, I would get an extra bottle.

Now, I would definitely get either a decant or the smallest size possible (unless I can get a shower gel or deodorant for a minimal difference in price). After two or so years here, I have not finished a single bottle (not even a decant). And with so many bottles, it really won't pain me if something is "discontinued", because usually the "discontinued" items somehow manage to be available for years (e.g. Gucci Nobile) or can get off ebay (e.g. Vintage Greenbriar).

It takes a while to go through a bottle (its not like juice comes out like Windex!), so I suggest getting the smallest size possible.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by Stench
    Chiming in with a Creed question for Need5398 -

With a collection that large you must have had at least one or two Creeds... with the "100% Natural" tag on them, and with some on the board that may feel they go bad quickly, have you had any Creed scents for a good long time ( like 3 or 4 years ) that still smell the same as they did when you bought them?

just curious
    I do not own, nor have I ever owned, any Creed fragances. Some years ago I sprayed one on in a store, thought it was pleasant enough, and decided to walk around the store for a bit before plunking down $120. By the time I reached the front door, the scent was gone. I did this several times, with different Creeds, and always had the same result: a quick disappearing act. Therefore, I never bought a single Creed, have no intention of doing so, and frankly, I don't feel as though I am missing anything. I know my comments border on blasphemy to some of the Board members, but that is why I can't comment on the longevity of Creeds.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by need5398
    [quote author=Sandy link=1132819164/15#26 date=1132953771][quote author=need5398 link=1132819164/0#14 date=1132849914]
    Running out of fragrances in general is not my concern, as I have 840 100 ml bottles, all different.
    Definitely you are my man. I invite you to us, I'll pay everything. All you'll have to do is face my wife and say that magical number:
    eighthundred-and-fourty bottles.
    During the 20 years of our marriage I've used up about 25 bottles, and even with these lots of jokes and remarks are floating in the air.
    Please help a desperate husband, will you.
    [/quote]

Face YOUR wife? What makes you think I can face MY wife? If I buy colognes on line I have them shipped to my office to avoid my wife's eye and wrath. Then I just have to worry about my secretary requesting a raise because she sees how much is spent on this hobby. When I shop in New York I have to wait until she is asleep before venturing out to the car to slip them out and into my closet. Then I have to give hush money to my two kids should they see me at the cologne counter with a new bag in hand. Not a cheap hobby by any means. In our 17 years of mariage I have not used up more than several bottles because of the large rotation I must go through. But let me tell you, in my house it's not a joke. I am walking on eggshells. But at least you can tell your wife there is another man out there in the same predicament as you, and perhaps that will assuage her angst. If you are in the New York area, and you really feel your marital relationship will benefit from a discussion with your wife, just let me know and I will happy to oblige. Oh, and by the way, I am a divorce attorney.
    Regards, Mark[/quote]

Yes....with about 110 bottles, I walk on eggshells in my house. It's almost gotten to the point where I can't enjoy what I have anymore and heaven forbid there is a new purchase. Add the fridge in the bedroom for storage and.........Mark, I sure hope I won't require your services one day! And yes, I am in the NY area.
    [smiley=shocked.gif]

:-X I have just come to an arrangement with a colleague to order fragrance for him and settle up at work... I think he may have more fragrance than his wife.

I only buy 50ml or smaller bottles, just in case I'm ready for something else after about 40ml. They seem to last for ages anyway, particularly when trying to justify buying another one.

: ( sometimes I buy 100mL just because the bottle is pretty.

I should only think of the juice inside but I can't help wanting the physical-design aspects of each bottle as well

When bidding on ebay, the 100ml bottles often go cheaper than the 50ml bottles. That's a fact!

Everybody wants the smaller bottle and everybody thinks the big bottle will go a lot more expensive.

I saw a 50ml Yohji Homme bottle go for 46 Euro and the 100ml a few minutes later for 22 Euro. That's no exception on ebay.

>

That's what I noticed too and often on eBay, the 100ml bottles go for only a couple dollars more if you search around

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Your question omits one crucial factor - how much do you actually wear?

If you put on six squirts, a 50ml bottle will be good for 50 applications. If it's not a long lasting scent, and you apply twice per day, the 50 ml bottle will only last for 25 days of usage.

But if you're one of those light touch fanatics, where one squirt pay day is standard - or two squirts to be daring and outrageous - then a 50ml bottle will obviously last for 150 to 300 applications.
    Renato
    This begs the question that I'm sure the vetrans are tired of hearing the newbies ask:

How much is too much?

If the goal for someone to be in your professional personal space before they pick up the frag (next to you at the keyboard, or over your shoulder) how do you know? I know, I know, completly varies by frag, body chemistry, etc. I suspect though that I have been erring on the side of caution, and the only person that ever smells me is me. Still, its better than being like the little old lady at church whose perfume is like her publicity agent; announcing her arrival 5 minutes before she gets there, and taking questions 10 m after she's gone! :-)

There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by Hebe
    :-X I have just come to an arrangement with a colleague to order fragrance for him and settle up at work... *I think he may have more fragrance than his wife.

I only buy 50ml or smaller bottles, just in case I'm ready for something else after about 40ml. They seem to last for ages anyway, particularly when trying to justify buying another one.
    I say Hebe! *Is this a service you might extend to fellow basenoters as I have got to the point (even with a mere 40 scents) where I have to sneak them into the house? *Luckily my wife takes little interest in the way that I smell so she would not normally detect a new scent when I come to apply it ;D Just kidding, but it is a problem that I struggle with especially given the nature of the hobby. I like Dr Creed's comment about CDs.

I'm wondering if in no-fault states whether or not chronic fragophilia can be grounds for divorce.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

The thinking process you describe requires significant degrees of logic and self discipline. Are you sure you are on the right website?

hahahahahah right on

I have to admit I laughed out loud for several minutes at this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish
    I prefer 50 ml bottles just to keep my collection in compact space. If it`s possible.
    Some of brands (like Villoresi, SMN, Hombre de Flores Fresh, MPG, etc.) has only 100 ml bottles, so no compromise here.
    [off topic]
    Villoresi does have 50ml

The question of 'economy' should only come into play when you already know the fragrance, and like it enough to want to buy it again -- but this time in a larger bottle.
    I have purchased numerous 100 ml bottles in the past that I'm not really using. So now whenever I'm buying a scent 'blind', I try to get it in either 30 ml or 50 ml bottles.

This actually ends up being more economical in the long run.

I am of two minds here:
    1. I always decant for a friend. If I buy the larger, this allows me to be generous without compromising my own stash. Ever notice how quickly an SL bottle wanes after losing 10 ml? Ever been pissed off about thinking about replacing something so soon? Ever hoard something with the most sour penury, since you now have a new list of 20 other items and don't want to have to fork out $100.00 for something you still like so soon again, but that has no novelty value?

But

2. I rotate very frequently. Daily. After three wearings of something, my nose is accustomed to it, and I lose nuance and timbre, and can only regain it if I ignore the scent for weeks on end. Sometimes months. Only then is there a brilliant process of rediscovery; the scent is new and tremendously enjoyable. However, often this backblasts, and the scent now possesses some visceral upset that hadn't been dialed into before, and I wonder why I have 90ml of it when 30 would suffice.

This is a total crapshoot, but my calculations tell me to buy larger, share, and wear with vigor.

I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been asked.
    How long before cologne goes bad? And is it ok to leave colognes near light?
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert06
    I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been asked.
    How long before cologne goes bad? And is it ok to leave colognes near light?
    Rob
    I'm no chemist (even though I'm doing research in an Organic Chemistry Lab), but people on here say light and heat are the main culprits to spoil a frag. If kept properly, a frag should last years upon years (people have even wrote here how they found a frag that was their dad's or whatever after a couple decades and it's still good). However, frags that are made entirely/majority of natural ingredients will spoil faster (like the Creeds, maybe even in a few years) if not kept properly.

Just stick your frags in a spot in the fridge. It's dark and cold in there so no worries.