Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question for those of you with 100+ Frags

Hello,

I was just looking at my miniscule wardrobe of 11 fragrances and thought to myself it will sure take some time to finish off all those 3.4 oz bottles. Yes the 3.4s are cheaper by juice, but is it worth it to stockpile big bottles if I might not finish them? Does anyone here buy only 1.7 oz bottles or would reccomend this so they might actually haev a chance of finishing the frag?

Thanks in advance.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Question for those of you with 100+ Frags

The thinking process you describe requires significant degrees of logic and self discipline. Are you sure you are on the right website?

I will definitely buy a 1.7 oz bottle if I have the choice...and I don't even have that many bottles, I just never finish 3.4 ounces unless it's a scent I completely love.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

I'm with madvillain, the last bottles I have bought have been 50 ml ones and I intend to stick to that size when possible.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Most of the time, it's 50 ml bottles (or smaller)...it's only when I can't live without a certain frag do I buy anything bigger. I have 90 or so frags, but I don't think I'll use up any certain bottle anytime soon--Talk to me in a decade or so... ;D ;D ;D Praying hard that my frags preserve well.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I prefer 50 ml bottles just to keep my collection in compact space. If it`s possible.
    Some of brands (like Villoresi, SMN, Hombre de Flores Fresh, MPG, etc.) has only 100 ml bottles, so no compromise here.
    And sometimes I give up and buy big decorative bottles like Cabochard EDP - design sometimes rules...

As for question that I would not finish 100 ml and more - I think it`s a very good thing to let someone sniff more. My kids and grand-kids would have a chance to know what was it like - to smell like me in 90-s of XX century!
    I`m really miss a lot of discontinued frags having no chance to know how smells 20-s, 30-s and 50-s... Just a little remain in e-bay vintage auctions..
    Vetiver The Great!!!

That's a good point, moon_fish! A good collection of frags is something your heirs should be happy to get from you, and not only for the sentimental value
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

To tell you the truth, I am thinking about my collection A LOT! Do I own too much bottles? Do I need them all? Which ones are better - which ones are not soo good. How many do I really NEED? Would I buy this or that again? Do I have too much juice of a scent or too less?

I really wonder why I have to think constantly about this! I mean I also own hundreds of CD's and I don't have to think constantly about them -

I just play them and enjoy.

These days I'm getting more into decants. But if I do buy bottles, I always go for the smaller sizes - 50 ml or preferably even 30 ml if it's available. The bigger bottles have proved a false economy for me in the past. Haven't finished one off for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    That's a good point, moon_fish! A good collection of frags is something your heirs should be happy to get from you, and not only for the sentimental value
    Thank you, Gus!
    I`m in doubts that used toiletries would cost much - but some masterpieces could give them an impulse to choose perfumes more accurate.
    I hate when good old bottle of say, vintage Mitsouko Guerlain or vintage Jolie Madame come opened!!!
    And hate even more when it costs more than 2-3 hundreds bucks!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Your question omits one crucial factor - how much do you actually wear?

If you put on six squirts, a 50ml bottle will be good for 50 applications. If it's not a long lasting scent, and you apply twice per day, the 50 ml bottle will only last for 25 days of usage.

But if you're one of those light touch fanatics, where one squirt pay day is standard - or two squirts to be daring and outrageous - then a 50ml bottle will obviously last for 150 to 300 applications.
    Renato

Blog Entries

Guilty! :-[

:P

Anyway, another benefit to buying 50ml + bottles is the fact that you can send samples / decants to worthy needy individuals (like myself) without denying yourself! ;D

You can also swap for tasters of other fragrances you would love to experience but not necessarily buy. Realistically you rarely need more than 20ml of a fragrance in any lifetime if it is not one you absolutely love (like a signature / Hg scent).

I see the 50ml+ size bottles as a way of total win win for fragrance lover's out there where you can have your fragrance and 'gift' it too! ;D You can even have it pay for it self if you choose to sell decants of it on places like ebay!

Now that I've finished stating the blatantly obvious I am going to try and find some space for the next truckload of perfumes I have ordered amongst the 100+ fragrances I already own...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I get nervous when my 100 ml bottles are nearly half empty. I only got (a last) 50ml of Cuiron and not the 100ml I wanted. Result: Instead of enjoying it as often as I like, some days I 'make do' with something I have more of. Ridiculos, but I must respect my own peculiarities also.

Should I get tired of a cologne: it may be easier to swap half of a big bottle than 20plus ml only. This is the theory - in fact postage (Europe) brings your motivation to swap down to zero!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Sadly ... of my 100+ frags now ... only maybe 15 or 20 are in my regular rotation.

I think it's more of a compulsion now than an actual "need" for more or different frags. But as far as the size, I always go for the smallest bottle possible ... as long as it's not discontinued. That way I feel I'm always getting a fresh bottle when the old one runs out. And if I don't wear it that often, it's less of a footprint on my shelf than the bigger bottle.

I'm always torn between just getting decants and the actual bottles. I mean, financially, decants are usually much cheaper and economical ... especially if it's an "evening" or "formal" frag that won't get as much use as the "everyday" ones. But there's just something about getting a new bottle that's so enticing to some of us. I guess it turns into the "collecting" category ... but unlike stamps or Beanie Babies that you just stare at ... at least you get some physical use out of fragrances.

I only buy 100 ml bottles when available. In some cases only 75 ml are available and I will get them, and of course when the next size up is 125 ml, I will get that. The reason is not one of econmics for me. Just take a look at the Basenotes directory and see how many of the men's fragrances have been discontinued. If you become attached to one, it is likely to be discontinued in a year or two, as that has been my experience. So, getting a larger bottle extends your use and ownership of the fragrance. Let's be honest, if you are a member of Basenotes and bothering to write and read posts here, you have a strong affinity to men's fragrances. (That was my euphamistic way of saying you are addicted.) Therefore, a few dollars here or there, a few ounce difference here, or there, really does not matter. You buy, collect and wear them because you simply enjoy doing so.

Running out of fragrances in general is not my concern, as I have 840 100 ml bottles, all different. But knowing that I will not be able to ever get a repeat of a discontinued scent does bother me, but then again, there are much worse things in life, like death.

And speaking of death, I hope my son like men's colognes. He has a large inheritence of them waiting.
    Mark

i don't have 100 bottles, but i still always go for the smallest size possible (excluding minis). as renato pointed out, the amount you apply is a factor to consider. i usually use 1-2 squirts, so the small size lasts a long time for me.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

Even though I am a heavy spritzer, I figure my current wardrobe should easily last me about oh...225 maybe 230 years, tops.

Lestat ..er..Griff

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    The thinking process you describe requires significant degrees of logic and self discipline. Are you sure you are on the right website?
    MMWWAAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA! ;D ;D ;D

Hilarious, and so right on the mark! They'll be burying me with my collection of hundreds of 100ml discontinued scents.

Jeff

Running out of fragrances in general is not my concern, as I have 840 100 ml bottles, all different. *But knowing that I will not be able to ever get a repeat of a discontinued scent does bother me, but then again, there are much worse things in life, like death.

Mark,
    How do you house so many fragrances? For that matter, how do any of you are store your 100+ Frags.?

-Greg- *

Most of my bottles are 100ml. I always get suckered into buying the big bottle whenever the SA says, "for only $15 more you can get twice the amount." I never think logically during these moments because nostalgia hits me square in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by need5398

Running out of fragrances in general is not my concern, as I have 840 100 ml bottles, all different. I hope my son like men's colognes. He has a large inheritence of them waiting.
    Sir, will you please adopt me? ;D ;D ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

I presently own about 120 full size bottles of juice, some are almost full, most are less that half full, and about 20 % are almost empty.
    this is what happens, I search the world over for niche scents, I hate to wear something that is recognisable, I can't understand the allure to lame scents such as A men, UGH!!!!!so it has become a hobbie of mine, and my trademark. Men and Women are allways startled by the rare weather pattern that my body emits.
    The psychology is allways, I think this is the one, therefore I'll spend a lil more on a full size bottle, but then a few days latter my multiple fragrance personality disorder kicks in, and off I go searching the world over for a rare new find, I go from Orientals( my faves), to Chypres, to florals(all scent is unisex), to citrus..etc.
    I also hate to wear the samething more than once a month, and all scent keeps well in my wine cellar, which is climate and light controlled.
    It's sick, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    To tell you the truth, I am thinking about my collection A LOT! Do I own too much bottles? Do I need them all? Which ones are better - which ones are not soo good. How many do I really NEED? Would I buy this or that again? Do I have too much juice of a scent or too less?

I really wonder why I have to think constantly about this! I mean I also own hundreds of CD's and I don't have to think constantly about them -

I just play them and enjoy. * *

rite on doc,I can relate with this,and I am only at 30something(including backups).
    to me,it's not about being able to use them all up,but more about being able to use them when you want to

I have fewer than 100 bottles, but I still think about when I'll ever use up
    all of the scents I like, let alone all of the scents I have.

I generally purchase 50ml bottles, as there is usually a degree of
    uncertainty in the purchase: Will I really like this scent after a few
    days, even though I enjoy it today? My tastes change some over time
    and as some have noted here, I want the juice to be relatively fresh.

The only regular-sized bottle I have completely used up and replaced
    was a 50ml bottle of Gucci pour Homme. It's a favorite of mine that I
    particularly enjoyed during winter. I replaced it with a gift set that included
    a 100ml bottle. I intend to always have this scent in my collection.

Many of the scents I have now I probably won't replace, some I will,
    some I'd just as soon give away but don't want to go through the hassle
    of boxing them up and shipping them to somebody. All of this tells me that
    for most scents 50ml bottles (or smaller) are preferable.

Thank you everyone for your replies and insight. I think as I explore the niche world I'm going to go with decants and if I like them 50ml bottles. For the normal designer stuff I think I can stick with the big bottles though as I will wear these most of the time (and to Renato yes I'm a heavy sprizter, usually go with 4-5 depending on what it is).

And to our friend Mark, 840 bottles!!! I thought when I heard someone with 400 that was a lot but wow is all I'm saying.

Thanks again everyone, I'll be bugging you all about decants! ;D ;D ;D

-Waseem

Mark,
    How do you house so many fragrances? For that matter, how do any of you are store your 100+ Frags.?

-Greg-

I store them on shelves in large, tall, cabinet without glass doors. Nevertheless, a fair amount of them are prone to evaporation.

Running out of fragrances in general is not my concern, as I have 840 100 ml bottles, all different.
    Definitely you are my man. I invite you to us, I'll pay everything. All you'll have to do is face my wife and say that magical number:
    eighthundred-and-fourty bottles.
    During the 20 years of our marriage I've used up about 25 bottles, and even with these lots of jokes and remarks are floating in the air.
    Please help a desperate husband, will you.

Quote Originally Posted by verve
    I always go for the smaller sizes - *50 ml or preferably even 30 ml if it's available. * *The bigger bottles have proved a false economy for me in the past. * Haven't finished one off for many years.
    Yea..I mostly buy 50mls for that very reason...I could not tell you the last time I finished off any bottle....unlike my fellow noter Colin who has gone through a few bottles of G2...lolololololol...My collection is dwindling these days as my 11 year old nephew and my new brother-in-law are hitting me up........ ;D

Peace and Safety,

Otto

Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    [quote author=need5398 link=1132819164/0#14 date=1132849914]
    Running out of fragrances in general is not my concern, as I have 840 100 ml bottles, all different.
    Definitely you are my man. I invite you to us, I'll pay everything. All you'll have to do is face my wife and say that magical number:
    eighthundred-and-fourty bottles.
    During the 20 years of our marriage I've used up about 25 bottles, and even with these lots of jokes and remarks are floating in the air.
    Please help a desperate husband, will you.
    [/quote]

Face YOUR wife? What makes you think I can face MY wife? If I buy colognes on line I have them shipped to my office to avoid my wife's eye and wrath. Then I just have to worry about my secretary requesting a raise because she sees how much is spent on this hobby. When I shop in New York I have to wait until she is asleep before venturing out to the car to slip them out and into my closet. Then I have to give hush money to my two kids should they see me at the cologne counter with a new bag in hand. Not a cheap hobby by any means. In our 17 years of mariage I have not used up more than several bottles because of the large rotation I must go through. But let me tell you, in my house it's not a joke. I am walking on eggshells. But at least you can tell your wife there is another man out there in the same predicament as you, and perhaps that will assuage her angst. If you are in the New York area, and you really feel your marital relationship will benefit from a discussion with your wife, just let me know and I will happy to oblige. Oh, and by the way, I am a divorce attorney.
    Regards, Mark

[quote author=Sandy link=1132819164/15#26 date=1132953771][quote author=need5398 link=1132819164/0#14 date=1132849914]
    If you are in the New York area, and you really feel your marital relationship will benefit from a discussion with your wife, just let me know and I will happy to oblige. Oh, and by the way, I am a divorce attorney.
    Regards, Mark[/quote]

By cosmological measures yes, I live in the New York area - Szeged, Hungary Well I must acknowledge your life is more problematic than mine is. Bribing your kids for shutting up can be a probing act I can handle my wife and daughter of 16, I've gently introduced them to the world of perfumes. But back to basenotes: having that terrible amount of scents you must have an opinion with ground about trends, fragrance houses. I would be interested to read a longer account of your years while collecting and smelling and smelling and smelling...

Friendly regards, Sandy