Code of Conduct

Default Frags you must spray/splash a lot to be effective

While there seems to be a rule with frags that "a little goes a long way", I have not found this to always be true. Some frags where I need to spray/splash a lot on for the scent to be effective:

Caswell Massey #6
    Molinard Homme I
    Carven Vetiver
    Monsieur Galimard EDT

Although not necessary, I can go spritz-crazy with Habit Rouge EDC with no ill effect. I imagine I am quite a sight with the liberal spraying!

Normally I wear maybe 3-4 spritzes (on wrists or crook of elbow, chest, back of knee), but the limit is broken with the above frags.

How about you?
    * K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Default Re: Frags you must spray/splash a lot to be effect

I've given up on overspraying some of my fragrances that have short longevity because I found it didn't matter if it was 20 or 50 sprays ... they were still gone in a short period of time. Some of my worst offenders are:

L'eau par Kenzo
    D'Orange Verte Concentree
    Soprani Uomo
    L'Instant

and the list goes on ...

Incanto PH
    Bulgari Aqua

Yeah, I think ziffy321 is right. Unfortunately Eau d'Hadrien doesn't last long since it's a citrus fragrance. Then again, the sensation is all worth it..
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

L'eau par Kenzo......that stuff you can go through a bottle in a week! It just dissapears. Happy, Paul Smith Extreme, Crave and Cool Water Deep are all 2 second wonders on me too.

I hit these probably around 20 times before leaving home:
    Eau Sauvage
    Bulgari PH
    Mugler Cologne

The Bulgari just gets absorbed --- gone. I reapply that one thrice.

MMM

Rocabar fades from my skin rather quickly, but boy do i love that smell...must get a bottle soon!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I'll go along with Muglar Cologne, D'Orange Vert, Eau Sauvage, and Carven Vetiver--especially Carven Vetiver--four minutes, tops. I'd add Diesel Plus Plus.

I guess it all depends on skin types--Bulgari Homme and L'Instant last all day and even L'Eau par Kenzo gives me a good 3-4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus

I guess it all depends on skin types--Bulgari Homme and L'Instant last all day and even L'Eau par Kenzo gives me a good 3-4 hours.
    I agree... L'Instant is definitely not gone in an instant. It lasts all day.

However, my own list of 1-minute wonders are:

- Lauder's Pleasures for Men
    - Acca Kappa White Moss
    - Armani Mania

o *4711 (Muelhens) -- Gone within 3 minutes
    o *Eau De Cologne Imperiale (Guerlain) -- Close cousin of 4711; it lasts an additional 2 minutes!
    o *Signoricci (Nina Ricci) -- Lasts about 12 minutes before becoming incoherent
    o *Acqua Di Parma (Acqua di Parma)
    o *Eau d' Hadrien (Annick Goutal) -- Most unique citrus ever
    o *Duel (Annick Goutal) -- Very nice tea note
    o *Pour Monsieur (Chanel) -- The original, not the Concentree
    o *Monsieur Givenchy (Givenchy)
    o *Eau Sauvage (Christian Dior)

Dior Higher!!!!

Dior Homme!

Molecule 01

Mandragore

Hadrien

BOIS FARINE (actually, this is #1)

Voleur (and this is #2)

Gucci Rush for men and CKbe. I love the deeper, but subtle, notes in these and spray with abandon. They are especially good on summer evenings.

Comme des Garcons Series 4: Cologne- Vettiveru

This stuff is great, but since it generates almost no sillage, its best to rub it all over your neck arms and chest before you put your shirt on.

Believe it or not, it has decent longevity, but in terms of sillage, it stays very close to the body so it's best to apply liberally.

same with Anbar and Citrico from this series. The fact that they come in seventeen ounce bottles practically DARES you to lay it on heavy.

Aside from these scents I never need more than two sprays max of anything. One half spray of L'Instant could get me through the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno
    Dior Homme!

BOIS FARINE (actually, this is #1)
    That's interesting. They seem rather strong on me. Bois Farine is actually the strongest L'artisan that I've encountered.

As for fleeting scents, 4711 and Eau d'Hadrien easily win hands down for me.

Thrax

Dune PH for sure.

I was having that problem with Creed Erolfa. I'd spray my normal number of sprays and it would be gone in a couple of hours. I was getting dissapointed with it.

I have since doubled the amount and it lasts 6, and projects really well without being over powering.

Default Re: Frags you must spray/splash a lot to be effective

Add Baldy, GIT, Curve, Gendarme to the list...

Orange Verte, definitely. They prepare the samples for those as 'refreshing pouchettes' and even after rubbing all over my upper body it's still gone in no time. Citrus Bigarade by Creed is horrible longevity also.

More citrus frags than I can even start to think of. Verte simply stands out.

Black by Kenneth Cole. Though applying heavy at start is headache inducing.

Romance Silver by Ralph Lauren. Too much goes nasty though. So it's moot.

Contradiction by CK. Another great smell that refuses to stick around.

Christian Dior's Bois D' Argent. I think splash/spray was the obvious intention. They design/concept was the turn of the century "cologne" for men. I rather like it!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Cool Re: Frags you must spray/splash a lot to be effect

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Comme des Garcons Series 4: Cologne- Vettiveru

This stuff is great, but since it generates almost no sillage, its best to rub it all over your neck arms and chest before you put your shirt on.

Believe it or not, it has decent longevity, but in terms of sillage, it stays very close to the body so it's best to apply liberally.

same with Anbar and Citrico from this series. The fact that they come in seventeen ounce bottles practically DARES you to lay it on heavy.

Aside from these scents I never need more than two sprays max of anything. One half spray of L'Instant could get me through the day.

Wow! I'm not the only one. Yes, Vettiveru is terrific but it's an EDC-- and comes in large bottles for a reason.
    The logical solution would seem to be to either lay it on thick, or re-apply throughout the day.
    While the first option may create the opportunity of overdosing to the point of clearing out a soccer arena, let alone an elevator; The second can also be subject to the cropspraying effect.

Easy when the whatchamacallit phenomenon (when you can't smell it on yourself any more, though IT IS THERE, big time) comes into play.

Did that at work recently, could have sworn all traces of the juice had vanished, sprayed again. One hour later a secretary came to my office and offered the unsolicited comment, " Too much perfume. "

So I fired her and--no, seriously, at least it was nice to know that it existed objectively in someone else's universe, even if it was to the point of obnoxiousness.

There is a moral to all this but I'm too annoyed with memories of Eau d'Orange Verte to think clearly.
    Is it how to find the middle way? Don't buy juice that drives you nuts? Get Bay Rum, since you can compare all the other frags favorably against it in terms of sillage and longevity?

(sigh)

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 31st August 2006 at 04:47 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Vettiveru yes!!!!!!!!! Love it. The big bottle and the light scent are awesome. It's kinda fun sometimes to slather somethin on.
    m

Weird, Mugler Cologne almost lasts too long on me. People have told me that that it was too strong an hour after applying only 4 sprays.

For me:
    Bulgari PH for sure...actually all of the Bulgaris. They last, but they are so subtle that to smell them you have to apply a lot.

L'Eau Par Kenzo

...actually that's about it. I have very good luck with frag lasting power.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

KenzoAir... at least 8 spritz for sillage. Still gone after 1-2 hours

Kenzo PH & Kenzo Fraiche - 8 squirts
    Bulgari PH - 6 squirts
    Miracle Aquatronic - 7 squirts
    TM Cologne - 6 squirts
    RL Purple label - 6 squirts

For me, the following EDCs:

Hermes Eau D'Orange Verte
    Agua Lavanda Puig
    Roger & Gallet Bouquet Imperial

I believe Guerlain's Eau de Coq is an EDT, but it requires a heavy trigger finger as well.

4711 is perfect for liberal application. It is impossible to overapply this stuff, it is cheap, and it smells incredible when used in massive amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK
    While there seems to be a rule with frags that "a little goes a long way", I have not found this to always be true. Some frags where I need to spray/splash a lot on for the scent to be effective:
    Carven Vetiver
    * K
    For sure! Carven Vetiver is just about useless. I have to drench myself
    in it to get any decent sillage. It's a nice scent, except I don't want to
    feel damp just to get some smell from it.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    For sure! Carven Vetiver is just about useless. I have to drench myself
    in it to get any decent sillage. It's a nice scent, except I don't want to
    feel damp just to get some smell from it.
    LoL trumpet_guy!
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

All of you who complained about Bulgari ph, L'eau par Kenzo , Mugler's Cologne and Hermes's Orange Verte have never tried Succes de Paris's Fujiyama. Its the king of 'Gone in 60 seconds". Ever wondered why this fragrance is so cheap? Even with 50 spray, it is still no where near the strength of any Deodorant spray!

The amazing thing is the scent is actually labelled as 'eau de parfum'. One spray of Tommy's eau de cologne last longer than spraying yourself with the whole bottle of Fujiyama.

Also, its a legitimate imitation of L'eau d'Issey. Not just the Japanese name, but the bottle as well. The scent has more fruity/grapefruit smell compared to Issey, but none of the sandalwood base that makes Issey so good. If Issey smells like piss to you, consider this Fujiyama. You need to stock up a few bottles, even 1 large bottle won't last you a week.