Code of Conduct

Default I donít like them but canít toss them away either

So here I stand with Geir in hand. *

This fragrance is just bizarre to me. *I donít really like it. *Itís too sweet for my taste and has way too much silage. *
    For about a year Iíve gone back and forth with it. *Some days I tolerate it but most days I say to myself ďIíll never wear it againĒ. *Yuck.

Now, on the flip side, the scent itself is very well made. *One of the finest crafted fragrances Iíve come across in years. *The notes are well blended, the longevity is second to none and itís a hell of a value for the amount of juice they give in the bottle.

If you donít like something, get rid of it Right? *Wrong.

I donít know why but I have to keep it. *Call it wasteful but to me itís like a trophy piece. *

Anyone else have a fragrance that they can't tolerate yet can't part with either?

Default Re: I don[ch8217]t like them but can[ch8217]t toss them away either

I'm not a big fan of Tommy, Hugo, or Polo Sport, but I still keep them because I always say to myself "maybe there will be a time in the future when I'll have an occasion to wear it." I've been saying that for over two years now...

I don't get rid of these bottles because they're near empty so I figure there's no point in trying to swap them. In your case however, I'm sure there are many members here that would be more than happy to swap you something for your bottle of Geir. Trust me on this. If you post that bottle in the swap board, expect to receive quite a few private messages.

In terms of collecting, I like to hang on to bottles that are rare or discontinued even though I don't like them much. If you had bottles of Jean Patou Pour Homme and Balenciaga Pour Homme, it doesn't matter if you like them because they're coveted and highly praised. To me it's like having a rare copy of the first Superman comic book ever printed (which I have). Even though that comic book sucks and the drawings are really crappy, the fact that it's rare and worth a lot makes it much more beautiful.

Default Re: I donít like them but canít toss them away eit

Definately try to decant Geir.

I once threw out Adidas Moves, but that was a year or so before I discovered Basenotes. Although, I doubt I would have tried to decant moves anyways.

I never throw anything out. This statement, to me, should read: I don't like them, but I can't sell them on ebay either.

I only part company with something that has been a very, very bad date, and only then after lots of introspection. I make sure the things I lose are cheap enough that a sudden urge for replacing them won't cause huge dents that take months to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno
    I never throw anything out. *This statement, to me, should read: *I don't like them, but I can't sell them on ebay either.

I only part company with something that has been a very, very bad date, and only then after lots of introspection. *I make sure the things I lose are cheap enough that a sudden urge for replacing them won't cause huge dents that take months to repair.
    Yeah...same here.
    Dave here.

I have several that I dislike. I never get rid of them. I figure if I changed my mind about them once, I'll probably change it again.

I've got plenty of room.

I even keep Eternity!

I have a bottle of Tommy that I absolutely loathe, reminds me of junior high.. ugh.
    Being the pack rat that I am though, I know that bottle's going to be staying with me for years to come. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by mason
    So here I stand with Geir in hand.

This fragrance is just bizarre to me. I donít really like it. Itís too sweet for my taste and has way too much silage.
    For about a year Iíve gone back and forth with it. Some days I tolerate it but most days I say to myself ďIíll never wear it againĒ. Yuck.

Now, on the flip side, the scent itself is very well made. One of the finest crafted fragrances Iíve come across in years. The notes are well blended, the longevity is second to none and itís a hell of a value for the amount of juice they give in the bottle.

If you donít like something, get rid of it Right? Wrong.

I donít know why but I have to keep it. Call it wasteful but to me itís like a trophy piece.

Anyone else have a fragrance that they can't tolerate yet can't part with either?
    I feel exactly the same way about Geir. I like it, but at the same time I didn't understand the hype about this one, cause imo there are a lot better fragrances out there. I say didn't, cause EVERY time I wear Geir, my wife keeps on giving me compliments , saying she likes that scent . And I have to admit, it was my most used scent, while going to work. No, I don't think I can do without it. What a strange scent this is.

Now, what I certainly don't understand is the fact she doesn't like my New Haarlem, while I think it's one of the best scents in my collection.

Default Re: I don[ch8217]t like them but can[ch8217]t toss them away either

Actually, that is probably how I feel with a a good number of frags. Sometimes I come to love them though, but there are a couple trophy frags that I don't really wear, M7 & Kouros come to mind.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Don't toss it!!! I'm sure people would be willing to swap or buy on BN.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus

I have several that I dislike. *I never get rid of them. I figure if I changed my mind about them once, I'll probably change it again. *

I've got plenty of room.

I even keep Eternity!
    What's wrong with Eternity? *

Heh heh.

And as for me, let's see: *Well... I should really put Antaeus on my swap list as I'm just not feeling it at all. *But I'm pretty sure I won't. *I'll keep trying it now and then. *I paid retail, dammit! * :'(

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman

And as for me, let's see: *Well... I should really put Antaeus on my swap list as I'm just not feeling it at all. *But I'm pretty sure I won't. *I'll keep trying it now and then. *I paid retail, dammit! * :'(
    Coleman,
    Bro, I'm equally shocked that you paid full boat Chanel retail for a fragrance, and that you don't like Antaeus ;-).

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I have a bottle of Boss Bottled that I wear maybe once every 1-3 years. I don't especially like it but I don't have the heart to throw it out either because my mother gifted it to me.

i give away the ones i never use. why keep something you dislike? it just takes up space. maybe someone else will love it. brighten someone's day and get good karma.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

Im this way with Dnnhill 2003. Its lousy lousy stuff, but yet, it holds a prominent spot on my shelf, sinply because I love the flacon so. How I wish I could decant something into it (DK Fuel maybe)!!

A*Men is, in a way, pain in the ass. It's impossible for me to say if I like it or not, my feelings change after every wearing. The reason is obviously in it's cloying nature, same goes with Geir. If you can take fragrance like this or not depends on many things; your mood, environment, is it hot or cold, are you hungry or bloated etc.